PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint PRO leaving it off?

PatrioticDisorder
06-24-15, 13:48
Stupid question, I convinced my father to buy an Aimpoint PRO last year for his Colt, well the battery went dead on setting 7 in about 10 months. I've chalked this up to a bad battery, however my father's confidence in Aimpoint battery life seems to be shaken and now that I bought him a bunch of spare batteries, he insists on keeping the Aimpoint turned off when not in use.

Is there any potential pitfalls to keeping an Aimpoint off? I thought I remember reading a while ago the battery could potentially drain quicker on the offsetting is this true? I tried to get him to compromise by leaving it on setting 5 or 6 but he doesn't seem interested in doing this? I own a T-1 & T-2 both on their first battery, T-1 has been on for at least 2 years.

WickedWillis
06-24-15, 14:07
I would actually like to know as well because mine is turned off and in my ACOG box

markm
06-24-15, 14:10
I've heard a few things... 1. An Aimpoint isn't truly OFF. The circuit is still complete, and it's just dialed down to not visible, and... 2. Dialing it down doesn't really extend the life.

Rather than going to the senseless step of leaving it off, I'd buy him/yourself a ZTS battery tester and check it every few months. The battery tester is priceless for general living as well.

SomeOtherGuy
06-24-15, 14:16
I have a Comp ML-3 that's still on its first battery after 3+ years, most of that time being "off" but battery in the optic. So the "off" setting can't drain too much battery life. (The left-on battery life is supposed to be 50k hours, and I guess I've had a battery installed in this optic for 30k+ with a mix of off and on time.)

I've also read many people's thoughts that the factory shipped batteries in electronics are often compromised or weak for whatever reason.

Flankenstein
06-24-15, 14:35
I've heard a few things... 1. An Aimpoint isn't truly OFF. The circuit is still complete, and it's just dialed down to not visible, and... 2. Dialing it down doesn't really extend the life.

Rather than going to the senseless step of leaving it off, I'd buy him/yourself a ZTS battery tester and check it every few months. The battery tester is priceless for general living as well.

I've heard the same thing. I really DGAF about battery life because having spares (and a battery tester) is no big deal. My only initial concern when I got my first aimpoint was LED life. I never got a really straightforward answer but I don't think about it anymore. Would suck if it "burnt out" in 10 years but wouldn't be the end of the world.

PatrioticDisorder
06-24-15, 14:53

I just looked these up, great call and I'll be buying their MBT-1, however I don't believe it will test the oddball DL 1/3N Aimpoint PRO battery, but pretty much every other battery under the sun it will test.

Hmac
06-24-15, 17:50
I always leave mine off, two different PROs and a T-1. I've yet to see a downside

JVG19
06-27-15, 09:22
I have 2 , t1's and a comp M4s and i have never changed a battery and had the micros since 2011

Rollbucks08
06-27-15, 09:38
Mine is off and in the trunk of my patrol car. The reason for this is simple... I left it on for 5 months on setting 7. I got my rifle out of my trunk in a critical incident in which I needed a rifle ASAP and the red dot was dead. Murphys law, right? Maybe it was a bad battery, who knows. I'm working on getting an H-1 soon so I don't have to worry as much about it.

Mine is now off. I took a paint pen and marked my optimal setting so under stress it's super easy to get it to where I need it to be.

BuzzinSATX
06-27-15, 10:51
I bought my PRO in 2011 at a Primary Arms sale, and I have simply made it a point to change the battery every two years on that holiday. I've never really had to change them, as they are always still working, but I consider it preventative maintenance as it's on my primary HD weapon. Love the battery life on the PRO!

apg0601
06-27-15, 11:32
I have two Aimpoints that take the 1/3N batteries, a Comp M2 and a PRO. The Comp M2 stays turned off most of the time with 3 battery changes in 6 years, no issues. The PRO has been on since purchase, about 2 years with no noticeable dimming. So both on and off in my experience has yielded about the same 2+ year battery life

Joe R.
06-27-15, 12:35
All the PROs I have had direct contact with have lasted a year at setting 7 of 10. These are guns that sit in a non-climate controlled patrol car most of the time. Some will show some signs of dimming in a year.

The Aimpoint does NOT draw power when off. That's the competitors optic that does that.

Full disclosure: I work for Aimpoint as a Pro Staff member.

Eric
06-27-15, 19:40
My experience has been similar to Joe's. I have a few PROs and have recommended them to a lot of other officers. Batteries are fairly inexpensive and should be swapped out annually in patrol/defensive rifles, even if they appear to be still going strong.

PatrioticDisorder
06-27-15, 20:48
All the PROs I have had direct contact with have lasted a year at setting 7 of 10. These are guns that sit in a non-climate controlled patrol car most of the time. Some will show some signs of dimming in a year.

The Aimpoint does NOT draw power when off. That's the competitors optic that does that.

Good to know thank you Joe, I'm chalking my father's dead battery up to crappy battery packaged with the PRO.

usmcvet
06-27-15, 22:41
I have a pair of M4's an M2 @ home and two Pros at work. They're all Off. I Had an H2 with a dead battery after 2-3 months. I'm sure I left it on too high and a Pro With a dead battery after six months. Both were on work guns. The H2 was sold. I needed a 2MOA dot! It is a confidence issue with me. I'm more comfortable with them turned off.

Flankenstein
06-28-15, 12:57

Dimmed because of battery life or something else?

IE- does a new battery return the dot to "as new"?

turnburglar
06-28-15, 14:08
Should have got a m4. In my personal experience I left an m4 on setting 8 for 2 years, before giving it to the next guy. That rifle saw everything from -5 to left sitting in the sun for most of the day in the middle of August in Afghanistan. The AA batteries are probably better than the N.

Or just explain to your father that batteries are a consumable and should be checked and replaced as necessary. (Probably the best option)

Joe R.
06-28-15, 22:10
Dimmed because of battery life or something else?

IE- does a new battery return the dot to "as new"?

Dimmed due to battery. Dot returned to normal when a new battery was installed. You will find very few problems with the LED.

armtx77
06-29-15, 13:08
Dimmed due to battery. Dot returned to normal when a new battery was installed. You will find very few problems with the LED.

I toss new ones in my PRO once a year...new years day when Im licking my wounds from a long night of Tom Foolerly and debauchery. I also take all my guns down for a detailed clean.

Hangover, football and guns...pretty ****ing American.

Joe R.
06-29-15, 16:10
My recommendation is that you change ALL of your red dot batteries once a year (yes even in the M4). If that battery leaks and corrodes the contacts it is not good. Changing the batteries once a year is cheap insurance. Pick a day, New Years, your Birthday, the day you got divorced...you get the picture.

cop1211
06-29-15, 19:50
Yep, Ive got 8 Aimpoints, 4 micros, 2 ML3'S.and 2 M4s's, all get a new battery on my birthday.

BigDeeeeeeee
06-30-15, 11:01
New battery once a year is cheap insurance.:)

vicious_cb
06-30-15, 22:23
Remember batteries drain quicker when exposed to higher temperatures. If your rifle is sitting in a hot trunk for most of the year you should change batteries more often.

WickedWillis
07-01-15, 11:18
Remember batteries drain quicker when exposed to higher temperatures. If your rifle is sitting in a hot trunk for most of the year you should change batteries more often.

Same with cold as well.

Maple Leaf pilgrim
07-01-15, 17:38
I just changed the battery in my T1. I left it on for 4 years straight and just decided it would be a good thing to do. I suspect that you may have had either a faulty charged battery or a bum PRO as they are supposed to last as long as the T1s.

As for advantages/disadvantages for leaving it on, I say leave it on. That way if you have to IA and put rounds in the X-ray you don't have to piss about with a dial while under fire. The battery will drain as time goes on, whether its on or not, so you might as well get some insurance out of it.

-S.

XD40Colorado
07-01-15, 18:05
Keep in mind the following, off aimpoint's website:

Battery life 30,000 hours **

**at room temperature & at setting 7 out of 10.

usmcvet
07-06-15, 14:29
The H1 I had the dead battery with had the brightness cranked right up. It must have been above setting 8 and it did experience extreme temperature changes. I am at fault. I did not read the owners manual.

vicious_cb
07-07-15, 10:58
Same with cold as well.

Lithium-ion batteries can take the cold very well. Dry cell batteries do not.