PDA

View Full Version : HK P30 vs Sig 229 Scorpion

Unkle Kurt
06-24-15, 21:49
I picked up a HK45 police trade with one mag not too long ago. It is the only 45 ACP I own, everything else is in 9mm. I have two trade offers currently: a HK P30 and a Sig P229 Scorpion Elite. Both are 9mm. I have considered consolidating to 9mm but a friend who is former SF suggests hat caliber diversification is a good thing and I need one in each of the big 3: 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP.

So what does M4C recommend?

remington79
06-24-15, 22:01
I think having something in each of the main calibers is good. Stock up on the one you prefer but keep a little of each. I remember during the ammo shortage of 2008 I had wished I had a 9mm then. Any week I could find at least some 9, 40 and 45. Just not usually at the same time. There was a point where all I could find was 9. Having a 357 Sig would have been nice to. During the shortage one store had a few thousand or so rounds of it. There was enough rounds to make a floor display. All of those 357 Sig rounds sat there for almost a whole year during the shortage collecting dust.

cwgibson
06-24-15, 22:16
I have one 45 which is a 1911 and everything else in 9mm. I have considered getting a 357 sig once I get some other things in order. I think it is sound advice from your friend and I would keep it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

samuse
06-24-15, 22:45
If you're worried about an ammo shortage, keep a couple of pistols in one caliber, and stock up deep in that caliber.

Buying a bunch of pistols with hopes of Wal-Mart having ammo when you need it is foolish.

Participating in panics and ammo shortages is optional. Buy what you want/need while you can and budget your stock when you can't.

MountainRaven
06-25-15, 09:22
If you're worried about an ammo shortage, keep a couple of pistols in one caliber, and stock up deep in that caliber.

Buying a bunch of pistols with hopes of Wal-Mart having ammo when you need it is foolish.

Participating in panics and ammo shortages is optional. Buy what you want/need while you can and budget your stock when you can't.

This.

Right now, you can easily get a case of 9mm for $200-250. That's four or five THOUSAND rounds for a thousand bucks or about the same as one of the pistols you are considering.

If you're only buying ammunition as you need it, diversification makes sense. But I think it would be wise to stock up on ammunition while it's as cheap as it has been for the last three or four years.

Also: I would keep the HK45. It's a police trade-in and you don't see those very often.

Phillygunguy
06-25-15, 12:19
I vote for diversifying calibers. If worried about ammo shortage in the future, I also think a good wheel gun should be added to the mix, like a 686 357 mag or similar so you can shoot 38 as well.

Kain
06-25-15, 12:41
My personal opinion would be to keep the HK45 and diversify. While I am all for stockpiling ammo deep, having different calibers is not a bad thing even if you don't shoot then as as your main caliber guns, just as options. Different calibers are fun, and sometimes you need something different, and I like options, more so after the last panic and seeing 9mm going for truly ridiculous pricing, .45, .40, ect might have gone up as well, but they never reached the 3x for junk ball that 9mm got to. I mean $35 for 50 rounds of WWB? Of course that doesn't mean that next time 9mm will even move, but options are nice, and if nothing else it makes good trade fodder. Also, the HK45 generally runs more than it's 9mm counterparts so if there is another panic I would expect that to bring more if you were to decide to sell it.

If you decide to trade the HK45 I'd go with the P30 though. Better option in my opinion over the Sig.

Unkle Kurt
07-01-15, 15:25
Just curious as to why no love for the 229? I know at one point Sig's QC was seemingly shitty but it seems to have gotten better, no?

cwgibson
07-01-15, 16:44
Just curious as to why no love for the 229? I know at one point Sig's QC was seemingly shitty but it seems to have gotten better, no?

The general consensus seems to be that the QC has improved. Sig is about all I own and I have never had a bad one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-01-15, 16:59
If you are worried about shortages .40SW is the safest bet from my experience. I shoot a lot and I was never in a situation where I couldn't find it.

Keep the HK45 (IMHO).

Talon167
07-01-15, 18:18
I voted keep the HK45.

I've had very, very good experiences with my Sigs (229 40, 226 Combat, 226 SAO, 516, 716). Almost 10,000 rounds through the pistols and a little over 4,000 through the rifles.

I'd take either one of the 229 or P30.

twm134
07-01-15, 21:23
Having several pistols, in one caliber, that work for you and stocking up on ammo when it is inexpensive is a very sound practice. So is keeping at least one other alternate pistol chambered for a different but popular cartridge. If the .45 works for you I say keep it and then focus on your main pistol/cartridge and commence stocking up on ammo, mags, holsters, etc...

Abraxas
07-02-15, 00:56
I am in the "diversity" crowd. I have a couple calibers and try to keep SOME ammo for all of them, but only stock the ones I use. Which for pistol is pretty much 9mm.

Psalms144.1
07-02-15, 12:29
If you are worried about shortages .40SW is the safest bet from my experience. I shoot a lot and I was never in a situation where I couldn't find it.

Keep the HK45 (IMHO).During the last "scare," there was usually enough .40 S&W around to fill magazines, if needs be. I attribute this, however, to the fact that since the mid-late 90s, .40 S&W has been THE American Police Caliber. Most gun buyers buy what the cops carry, on the mistaken belief that cops would only be issued and carry the best equipment/ammunition available. If the truth were only widely known...

If/when that changes with the FBI's switch to 9mm, I believe 9mm will become "the new hotness" and you'll see massive quantities of it available everywhere - once all the agencies who are keeping up with the Jones' get their orders filled.

Or, I could be completely wrong.

Agreed on keeping the HK45 - in case the OP needed to hear it again.

Ranger325
07-02-15, 12:33
Keep the HK45 and start reloading 9mm and 45ACP for the future.................... FWIW