PDA

View Full Version : AimPoint CompM4s Anomaly (includes photos)

Olav
07-19-08, 19:36
I recently purchased a AimPoint CompM4s and was wondering if other M4s owners could tell me if it is normal to have a red line in the field of view along with the red dot when the lighting is low.

Here is a picture:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/olava1/AimPoint_CompM4s/IMG_0908.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/olava1/AimPoint_CompM4s/IMG_0909.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/olava1/AimPoint_CompM4s/IMG_0910.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/olava1/AimPoint_CompM4s/IMG_0911.jpg

thanks

tinman44
07-19-08, 20:57
i've got that in my m3 and was wondering about it myself. have to wait for someone to chime in to explain this.

Olav
07-19-08, 21:06
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

evilmonkey
07-20-08, 00:42
Should have bought an EOtech:D Sorry I had to say it!! I like my aimpoints! It looks like its glaring off the lens to me. That would drive me nuts if I was trying to shoot a match like that. Try cleaning the lens off, it could be from finger prints or dust

Olav
07-20-08, 00:57
Should have bought an EOtech:D Sorry I had to say it!! I like my aimpoints! It looks like its glaring off the lens to me. That would drive me nuts if I was trying to shoot a match like that. Try cleaning the lens off, it could be from finger prints or dust

The Aimpoint is brand new and clean.

It's clearly a optical thing in the lens assembly generating the aberration.

I can rotate the aimpoint and the line rotates too.

I guess I'll look into eotech... lol

spamsammich
07-20-08, 04:35
If it is new it should be under warranty. I would look into that first.

Robb Jensen
07-20-08, 08:23
It's normal you're just seeing the internals of the optic.

My M4 and my M4S I have it if having the dot really bright in a darker room. Out in bright daylight I don't see it at all. I don't use the ARDs.

Failure2Stop
07-20-08, 09:26
I only see it if I have the intensity too high for the lighting conditions.

Olav
07-20-08, 09:27
It's normal you're just seeing the internals of the optic.

My M4 and my M4S I have it if having the dot really bright in a darker room. Out in bright daylight I don't see it at all. I don't use the ARDs.

I see it without the dot illuminated and in normal ambient light in the house with a darkish background.

The first picture illustrates this in part as you can see that the background is not exceptionally dark. The other pictures are very dark to highlight the extra visual distraction.

I have a cheap red dot scope that does not exhibit this trait at all under any lighting conditions no matter how bright the dot is.

That's why I find it strange to see any optical artifacts in this high quality, expensive red dot scope. It's rather distracting.

I guess if that is normal I can live with it but not happily.

Thanks for your input.

rob_s
07-20-08, 09:28
I only see it if I have the intensity too high for the lighting conditions.

Yep. Look at the size of that dot in the pics, for a 2 MOA dot to appear like that you'd have to have it seriously cranked up.

Failure2Stop
07-20-08, 09:30
I see it without the dot illuminated and in normal ambient light in the house with a darkish background.

The first picture illustrates this in part as you can see that the background is not exceptionally dark. The other pictures are very dark to highlight the extra visual distraction.

I can't see your pics due to the filter on my network.
I have not had any Aimpoint with the problem you describe (not over-intensified).
If it is as bad as it sounds I would send it back for a replacement.

rob_s
07-20-08, 09:31
Reminds me of the first time I got an Eotech.

I got one of the old diamond reticule versions and mounted it up and tried it around the house, and immediately noticed a pixelated reticule. I emailed the dealer all upset by it, and he told me "just go shoot the thing and stop worrying about it." Sure enough, once I got to the range and started shooting, and adjusted the brightness accordingly, I never noticed it again.

Go to the the range. Shoot with the thing. Shoot dynamically with the thing. You'll never notice it again. If you do, you're focusing on the wrong thing.

Olav
07-20-08, 09:45

I got one of the old diamond reticule versions and mounted it up and tried it around the house, and immediately noticed a pixelated reticule. I emailed the dealer all upset by it, and he told me "just go shoot the thing and stop worrying about it." Sure enough, once I got to the range and started shooting, and adjusted the brightness accordingly, I never noticed it again.

Go to the the range. Shoot with the thing. Shoot dynamically with the thing. You'll never notice it again. If you do, you're focusing on the wrong thing.

I'll go ahead and do that.

Just was puzzled by the red line though since it's not present in cheaper red dot scopes.

I was at the range using it (sighting it in) and didn't notice the red line and I'll be in a training course end of next month in a dynamic environment putting it through its paces.

If it all works out great.

I'm just happy I brought it out here with pictures etc to help other people with the same issue and thoughts about a new Aimpoint and hopefully accurate answers.

C4IGrant
07-20-08, 11:33
Normal.

C4

Harv
07-21-08, 20:52
Originally Posted by rob_s

Good advice.. don't get wrapped around the axle on it....go shoot it.

ar-15 fanatic
07-22-08, 13:21
i've never owned an aimpoint but im guessing thats not how the dot is supposed to look, lol

C4IGrant
07-22-08, 13:29
i've never owned an aimpoint but im guessing thats not how the dot is supposed to look, lol

Aimpoint dots are not perfectly round. The camera however distorted what the dot DOES actually look like.

C4

CLHC
07-22-08, 14:43
On mine, I simply just use a lower (dimmer) setting. Other than that, like the others already said; looks fine. . .

Jerm
07-22-08, 16:53
my Aimpoint ML3 does all kinds of crazy things if i focus on the dot.if i focus on the target,all of that just go's away and i see what i would expect too...a little red dot on my target.

Olav
07-22-08, 17:48
My point was it's not the dot but the line that is distracting in the left upper quadrant that is distracting.

The line is visible with the dot off as well.

It can be seen under normal conditions, only in daylight it gets washed out.

I'm focusing on the target but the line is distracting I must say.

The dot looks funny here because of a slow shutter speed causes it to look that.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/olava1/AimPoint_CompM4s/IMG_0908.jpg

CLHC
07-22-08, 18:00
Hmmm. . .Sorry! :o

I have no idea, but am curious to know too! :D

razors
07-22-08, 20:34
I got a symilar line in this photo...but i do not notice it shooting:confused: granted it is turned up brighter than normal shooting levels

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm245/minuteofanglex15/011.jpg

Olav
07-22-08, 20:40
Looks like it's normal to experience the red line to some degree or another.

That's good to know.

FJB
07-23-08, 00:03
Olav,
What you are seeing is glare off the objective lens reflecting back at you due to the 50 additional layers of lens coatings sandwiched between two lenses that make up the objective/front lens. The additional lens coatings, which the "cheap" sights you mentioned do not possess, the additional lens coatings help with Night Vision and also helps reduce/eliminate down range signature. The glass used by Aimpoint is provided by the same manufacturer that produces optical lenses for the best European optics.

The "line" across the objective lens can occur if the dot is turned up too bright or during certain lighting conditions. Also, remove the ARD/Kill Flash and it wiil help reduce that glare.

As already mentioned, focus on the threat/target vice the dot and you'll see the dot clear up.

S/F

CLHC
07-27-08, 19:02
Don't have the Aimpoint.M4 but the ML3 and it's at the highest setting here:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/ClarenceLadd/IMG_1043.jpg

Olav
07-27-08, 20:51
Olav,

The "line" across the objective lens can occur if the dot is turned up too bright or during certain lighting conditions. Also, remove the ARD/Kill Flash and it wiil help reduce that glare.

S/F

Nope, I can see it in normal conditions and even if the red dot is OFF.

Daylight I can't see it which is good.

Removing the ARD/Kill flash makes it worse.

BushmasterFanBoy
08-14-08, 11:49
Nope, I can see it in normal conditions and even if the red dot is OFF.

Daylight I can't see it which is good.

Removing the ARD/Kill flash makes it worse.

Same here, except that I am using a Comp ML2 that I bought new back in '05.

ETA:
Like Rob said, if you're shooting dynamically and just blasting away having a good time, you kind of not notice it, but as soon as you're done it comes back at you in your face. Kind of like if your feeling ill one day and get really caught up and focused on something you ignore/don't relize you're ill, but once your done with the task you instantly feel like shit again :).

theJanitor
08-14-08, 12:11
My M3/ML3's don't exhibit those kinds of lines, doesn't it seem like one of the internal lenses are flawed?

OP, do you have a magnifier? i'd be curious to see what it looks like through one.