PDA

View Full Version : How Lazy is this,,,,,

Travelingchild
06-25-15, 07:58
Back ground,
Work as a High end carpenter, Problem solver etc. for a General contractor/care taking company.

One of my responsibilites is to ensure a direct employee of the company is on site after hours for deliveries or when subs are working after hours
aka Baby sitting

Me calling employee --What you doing tonight?

Employee-- Nothing watch TV.

Me-want some easy overtime? ($30 plus hour)plus dinner, You don't actually have to do anything just be on site for 4 hours,

Employee-- To tired just watching TV

Me--So you'd rather sit at home doing nothing and not getting paid, Than sit at job site & make overtime for doing nothing and watching tv in their fancy media room, & getting free Dinner?
Okay whatever, I'll find someone else

He lived 5 minutes away....

murphman
06-25-15, 08:02
Are you hiring?

MegademiC
06-25-15, 08:03
People complain there's no jobs.

Companies can't find people willing to work that can pass a drug test.

Jaysop
06-25-15, 08:10
WOWWW call me I'll do it for $20 and good food!

I can understand if you have a family and that's the time you have to spend with them but I'd rather get paid to sit on my ass then to do it for free.

soulezoo
06-25-15, 08:56
^^^^ This....

soulezoo
06-25-15, 08:59
And then there is my GF's ex. He's a fireman you see. He works exactly 6 days a month for $150k a year.

But when it comes to his kids he's always "too tired, worked too hard... have no money right now" or the classic "I can't- I have to work".

black22rifle
06-25-15, 09:15
How can you possibly make 150k as a fireman?

Averageman
06-25-15, 09:25
Yeah, I work with a guy just like that.

AKDoug
06-25-15, 10:30

All depends on what positions and department you are with. There are engineers that make $150K with wages/benefits in Alaska.

JBecker 72
06-25-15, 10:33
Are you hiring?

Seriously

soulezoo
06-25-15, 10:37

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/San-Francisco-Fire-Department-Lieutenant-Salaries-E176355_D_KO30,40.htm

The base salary for a lieutenant within the San Francisco Fire Department is $153,148.

S.F. is the highest salaried fire dept in the USA.

brickboy240
06-25-15, 10:44
Sounds typical if you ask me.

I run a chemical trucking company and many of our drivers earn right at 6 figures. Yes...6 figures for just driving a tanker rig!

You'd be amazed at the number of drivers I have had to fire, that were too lazy to do simple things like turn in accurate paperwork and other minute details. People that could not show up on time or could not remember small details.

Many of these drivers came in with long and glowing resumes. They had it down that they worked for XYZ Company for 8-10 years. Good references that I checked up on. Then...about 2 weeks into working, they did lazy things or just turned to crap. There is NO WAY some of these jokers worked for large trucking companies for 8-10 years with THAT kind of work ethic! No way.

So yes, I believe THIS is the biggest problem in employment in America today. Many applicants out there paint a good picture and APPEAR reliable and worth hiring, then you take the risk, sign them on and they turn to shit in a week. Turning lazy, forgetful, irresponsible or downright dangerous.

The problem in America is not that there is no jobs, but that very, VERY few people are employ-able!

I hate to break this to the younger viewers, but this is MUCH more prevalent in those under, say, the age of 35. One reason I try to hire older people but you'd be amazed at how many people in their 40s and 50s that do not have their shit together.

Averageman
06-25-15, 12:21
I hate to break this to the younger viewers, but this is MUCH more prevalent in those under, say, the age of 35. One reason I try to hire older people but you'd be amazed at how many people in their 40s and 50s that do not have their shit together.
This is exactly what I'm seeing, my current Supervisor is within 6 months of retirement. The last thing this guy wants to deal with on his way out the door is firing someone, yet it's inevitable.
The guy comes out and tells the boss, I'm taking a sick day today so I can pack for my vacation that starts tomorrow.
I would have told him, "Go ahead, but don't come back after your vacation unless it's to empty out your desk and turn in your gear."

murphman
06-25-15, 12:29
Sounds typical if you ask me.

I run a chemical trucking company and many of our drivers earn right at 6 figures. Yes...6 figures for just driving a tanker rig!

You'd be amazed at the number of drivers I have had to fire, that were too lazy to do simple things like turn in accurate paperwork and other minute details. People that could not show up on time or could not remember small details.

Many of these drivers came in with long and glowing resumes. They had it down that they worked for XYZ Company for 8-10 years. Good references that I checked up on. Then...about 2 weeks into working, they did lazy things or just turned to crap. There is NO WAY some of these jokers worked for large trucking companies for 8-10 years with THAT kind of work ethic! No way.

So yes, I believe THIS is the biggest problem in employment in America today. Many applicants out there paint a good picture and APPEAR reliable and worth hiring, then you take the risk, sign them on and they turn to shit in a week. Turning lazy, forgetful, irresponsible or downright dangerous.

The problem in America is not that there is no jobs, but that very, VERY few people are employ-able!

I am 28 and completely agree with this, punctuality alone is nearly extinct in young people. More and more companies I am noticing are actually catering to this by telling there employees to be here "around" said time. Some might call the flexibility but I would have to disagree.

Crow Hunter
06-25-15, 12:45
I believe it.

I work for a company that furloughs people during the slow season so that they only get 32 hrs a week. Everyone was always bitching at me because it wasn't fair that I, being salaried, got to work 5 days a week and got paid for it. So I took my time and arranged with maintenance to get some people to come in and paint lines in the floor/clean up/paint walls/etc. I needed 6 people. Not a single person in the entire department of 50 some odd people were willing to do it. They didn't want to come in unless they were doing "their job". I haven't offered to help again.

I could give hundreds of stories about how hard it is for my wife to find people to work at her company. (She is the HR Manager) They are the highest paying company in the town and in the surrounding area. You have to drive over 50 miles to find a comparable job. Half the people that put in resumes don't even have a GED, 25% of those that do, don't show up for an interview, of the 25% that do have at least a GED AND can bother to show up for an interview, all but 5% can't pass a drug test. At least a large portion of them, when they are told that they do a hair test (not a piss test), just say they can't pass and save my wife from having to waste time on a drug test. So out of 100 people that put in applications, she is lucky if she has 5 people that she can hire on average.

That completely leaves out the morons that do get hired and can't figure out how to get to work on time, can't work safely, can't stop sniffing the solvent, or just plain can't figure out how to run the equipment at a reasonable rate. This company goes to ridiculous lengths to help employees with addictions, gives them a huge number of opportunities to miss work and not "point out" and they have a defined benefit pension, good benefits AND a 401k and pay more than pretty much anyone around.

Even during the economic downturn, my wife said it wasn't that there weren't any jobs, there just aren't any qualified/dependable candidates. She never stops doing orientations because they have constant turnover. And it isn't because people are leaving for better jobs. It's because 90% of the people who live around here are complete morons.

It is ridiculous.

brickboy240
06-25-15, 13:06
I have to be honest...I could stand to have 1-2 more full time drivers, but it is so iffy and expensive to "try' someone new, I just farm out the extra work we get from time to time. Other times, I just have my better drivers take up the slack with extra work. This is actually less taxing on my nerves and cheaper in the long run.

I am pretty sure i am not the only employer that does this - farming out extra work instead of hiring new people.

TehLlama
06-25-15, 13:22
Me--So you'd rather sit at home doing nothing and not getting paid, Than sit at job site & make overtime for doing nothing and watching tv in their fancy media room, & getting free Dinner?

If you disturbed somebody's 'hand strength exercises', probably not that unusual a response.

You summed it up brilliantly - you'll find somebody else. When it's time to send employees to valuable training, you'll find somebody else. When it's time to promote and create leadership positions, you'll find somebody else.
On the bright side, you at least know you're not screwing somebody over, as chilling at home was worth at least $30/hr to that guy, so you needn't feel bad about the above.

Leaveammoforme
06-25-15, 13:52
Back ground,
Work as a High end carpenter, Problem solver etc. for a General contractor/care taking company.

One of my responsibilites is to ensure a direct employee of the company is on site after hours for deliveries or when subs are working after hours
aka Baby sitting

Me calling employee --What you doing tonight?

Employee-- Nothing watch TV.

Me-want some easy overtime? ($30 plus hour)plus dinner, You don't actually have to do anything just be on site for 4 hours,

Employee-- To tired just watching TV

I would have told you the same. I pass up easy double time very often that approaches $70 an hour. I don't live to work. I'm not a company man. I don't bleed company colors. Honest 8 and hit the gate.

That could be misconstrued as lazy or unmotivated. Or it could be living within your means. I value the short time we have on this planet and don't want to sale it off.

Nobody on their death bed regrets not working more.

brickboy240
06-25-15, 14:17
When times get thin and we have to lay people off....I always remember those that did the minimum and those that went beyond now and then.

Guess who stays and who goes?

...enjoy your time...you now have plenty of it...and no income.

MegademiC
06-25-15, 14:56
I would have told you the same. I pass up easy double time very often that approaches $70 an hour. I don't live to work. I'm not a company man. I don't bleed company colors. Honest 8 and hit the gate.

That could be misconstrued as lazy or unmotivated. Or it could be living within your means. I value the short time we have on this planet and don't want to sale it off.

Nobody on their death bed regrets not working more.

Nobody on there deathbed regrets not watching more tv... well maybe some do.

I agree, it's a balance. Money buys things/experiences, but u need time to live them. However, this situation sounds bad.

Leaveammoforme
06-25-15, 16:00
When times get thin and we have to lay people off....I always remember those that did the minimum and those that went beyond now and then.

Guess who stays and who goes?

...enjoy your time...you now have plenty of it...and no income.

It's a 2 way street.

I was employed by an International Company several years back. I was one of about 20 folks in Texas that did my job. Super easy job, great pay & amazing benefits.

The bean counters wanted to eliminate 1 of 3 positions in my area. This job was one of those were people hire in and don't leave until retirement. I had seniority on one guy in South Texas. Everything was based on seniority. Performance equaled squat.

I chose not to knock guy in South Texas out of his job and left the company. Company said since I did this that I had quit. I argued 'laid off' but whatever.

Couple years later the company called wanting me back. I said 'No Thanks'

Travelingchild
06-25-15, 18:31
I don't live to work. I'm not a company man. I don't bleed company colors. Honest 8

Neither am I, this guy is always complaining of being broke & he's single...

As far as honest 8 that's a rare trait you have most construction works are just there for 8..

Not Directed at you personally but in life if only put in the hours and not a moment more people notice.

For example I was willing to drive a clients fancy audi to the closet dealership 2 hours away, my work day was 12 hours, But they picked up a nice rental because the dealer ship was out of loaners, they picked up breakfast , lunch & dinner.
I was on their dime, they said do what ever i wanted... My wage $40 hr plus overtime.... they reimbursed me for everything INCLUDING the 2 hours I spent at a gun range. ended up going to homedepot, etc. every gun store in town ON the Clock, saved me from driving on my own dime that weekend.

Then I played all weekend..Anyone have an issure with clients like that.

Later I stopped by their house for something and they handed me a brand new Ipad Air & said thanks for the extra effort..

SteyrAUG
06-25-15, 18:51
Are you hiring?

No shit.

punkey71
06-25-15, 19:00
And then there is my GF's ex. He's a fireman you see. He works exactly 6 days a month for $150k a year.

But when it comes to his kids he's always "too tired, worked too hard... have no money right now" or the classic "I can't- I have to work".

6 days a month?

Not 24s I assume. 48s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leaveammoforme
06-25-15, 19:00
Neither am I, this guy is always complaining of being broke & he's single...

Gotcha, Yeah that changes things. We've all seen that type and it boggles the mind.

Travelingchild
06-25-15, 22:01
... too lazy to do simple things like turn in accurate paperwork and other minute details. People that could not show up on time or could not remember small details.

..have their shit together.

That's funny cause I have a Commercial B with all the endorsments still keep it current but never us it hazmat too(what a pain).

Old job chasing helicopters boss would get pissed because guys couldn't keep logs current..
How hard is that, drive - stop fill out log.. drive-stop fill out log,,, stop for evening fill out log & time sheet..

that job was 20 percent driving & 80 percent waiting at LZ but the common excuse I did't have time to do the paperworK

Really!!!!!

JusticeM4
06-26-15, 19:19
OP, that is quite lazy. $30 an hour to basically do nothing while getting paid is a damn good opportunity, but some people are just too lazy and stupid I guess.

Eurodriver
06-26-15, 19:28
My two careers have been the Marine Corps and public accounting.

I haven't seen anything of which you guys are discussing. Hard working, decent, intelligent folks (all under 30) inhabit those fields.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-26-15, 19:47
I don't blame them in some ways. They have seen their baby boomer and X-gen parents and grandparents get screwed over in jobs as the employment market and the economy change. Frankly, I'm all for labor getting more of the pie versus capital. Management wants to treat labor like a commodity- well, that doesn't always mean lower prices.

Every situation is different, but you can't be a capitalist and then complain about a market, even if it is the labor market.

I work for a manufacturing company and we can't get the young guys to do over time. These kids could have barely a HS diploma and make just under 100K if they worked a 60 hour week. They are fine with $50k a year and live with their parents and have lots of free time. To each their own. If I were a 20ish guy coming out of school in late 2000s and seen employment tank, I might think that way too.

williejc
06-26-15, 21:03
This week I came out of retirement to work full time for a residential treatment center for adolescent males. I'll be driving 40 miles round trip each day to work the 10-6 shift, four days on and two off. There are zero benefits. The pay is $9.50/hour. I'm excited about my third career even though I can't get dressed by myself before I head out for the job. Too much arthritis. So what?

Travelingchild
06-26-15, 21:55
..can't get the young guys to do over time. ..live with their parents and have lots of free time

This is an issue... If the Parents are still letting their 20 year olds live at home rent free.. Then they'll never realize what the Real World is like..And still have the college or entitlement attitude...

SilverBullet432
06-26-15, 22:02
This is an issue... If the Parents are still letting their 20 year olds live at home rent free.. Then they'll never realize what the Real World is like..And still have the college or entitlement attitude...

I moved out at 21, I was fortunate enough that my parents put me through college. Now, I have a good job, new house, will probably be married soon, and my truck is paid off.

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-26-15, 22:17
I moved out at 21, I was fortunate enough that my parents put me through college. Now, I have a good job, new house, will probably be married soon, and my truck is paid off.

I look at my rather extended family and realized that the closer an uncle was to home, the less successful they were. Now that may have been more of a Buffalo, NY thing or a Hand family thing- but I made sure that when I graduated, I stayed where I was and toughed it out till I found a job. Seems crazy to me now, but I think it helps.

Averageman
06-27-15, 09:16
I'm within 10 years more or less of my second retirement. I still put in the 60 to 70 hour week a couple of months a year when required. The overtime all goes pre-tax to my 401K and I adjust for it.
The idea that someone is going to have to take care of me in my old age is a deep fear so I've been stacking it deep.
The thing I find when I occasionally work with younger guys, especially those with kids is, they aren't saving a dime. It goes in to multiple new cars, boats and homes, it's all about the immediate gratification. I don't know when they will wake up, but it is kind of scary.
The idea that you're going to make it on Social Security is like a private retirement from a company you worked for. That's a thing of the past, it just isn't offered.
I'am a loss why folks haven't woke up to this, it is going to be a very big issue in 20 years of less.
I would say to a young guy, "Work every overtime hour you can get, make the 401k contribution and get your matching funds. Get on a budget and save for your kids to go to school and it may take years, but you'll earn all the neat toys along the way." But then I'm an old fart and not so hip anymore.

SilverBullet432
06-27-15, 11:40
I'm within 10 years more or less of my second retirement. I still put in the 60 to 70 hour week a couple of months a year when required. The overtime all goes pre-tax to my 401K and I adjust for it.
The idea that someone is going to have to take care of me in my old age is a deep fear so I've been stacking it deep.
The thing I find when I occasionally work with younger guys, especially those with kids is, they aren't saving a dime. It goes in to multiple new cars, boats and homes, it's all about the immediate gratification. I don't know when they will wake up, but it is kind of scary.
The idea that you're going to make it on Social Security is like a private retirement from a company you worked for. That's a thing of the past, it just isn't offered.
I'am a loss why folks haven't woke up to this, it is going to be a very big issue in 20 years of less.
I would say to a young guy, "Work every overtime hour you can get, make the 401k contribution and get your matching funds. Get on a budget and save for your kids to go to school and it may take years, but you'll earn all the neat toys along the way." But then I'm an old fart and not so hip anymore.

Ive got a 6% pre tax 401 match where im at. Company pays all my insurance and i will only pay $75 a month for my gf when we get married.

TehLlama
06-27-15, 12:25
I look at my rather extended family and realized that the closer an uncle was to home, the less successful they were. Now that may have been more of a Buffalo, NY thing or a Hand family thing- but I made sure that when I graduated, I stayed where I was and toughed it out till I found a job. Seems crazy to me now, but I think it helps.

I've actually noticed that same thing - I think the underlying ambition really is the driver there with the tighter locus of residence just reflecting that.

I think the forced moves, coupled with seeing that one can show up with a sea bag of clothes and be able to do meaningful stuff are among the most valuable things one can take away from a military career, and why outcomes tend to be a lot better; same deal to a lesser degree with college.

I don't think it could be argued that I'm particularly un-motivated by earning, and I've stashed a really ludicrous amount of savings and to date never had to be in debt my entire life; there are still instances where it wouldn't be worth my time to come in, but I'd at least be able to articulate why I wouldn't in those instances.