PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10?

Slater
06-25-15, 14:47
My desktop computer has Windows 8.1. Just got a notification from Microsoft that I'm due to receive a free upgrade to Windows 10 by the end of July. Not being a computer guy...is this a good thing?

Kain
06-25-15, 14:58
From my understanding, and I could be wrong here so fair warning. Windows 10 will be instituting a monthly subscription fee of some sort to use it at some point. My reaction would be to tell them to shove it, if that being the case with the monthly fee. But that is me.

Slater
06-25-15, 15:24
From Microsoft's website:

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates. Security and features are kept automatically up-to-date which is always enabled. See the Windows 10 How to Upgrade page for details.

Doesn't mention a fee, but I agree that caution is advisable.

Doc Safari
06-25-15, 15:39
Beware of anything that's "free."

Having said that, I heard several weeks ago that after Windows 10, Microsoft will discontinue the practice of coming out with a new version of Windows every few years, and instead will rely on occasional updates to keep current. It's like having the ability to "subscribe" to replacing parts on your car to keep it new. Ha Ha...you think that will be "free"?

Now, for a company to continue making money, the only way they can do this is by eventually charging for those updates.

The day will come when your updates section on your computer will probably show the update and the "price" for it.

If you don't pay, your system will eventually become obsolete and you'll have to pony up at some point.

I think this is Microsoft's revenge for the fact that people held onto Windows XP way longer than Microsoft intended, so now you will have planned obsolescence and a mandatory paid upgrade if you want to continue using Windows.

Thing is: Windows SUCKS and they may outsmart themselves with this. Now there is opportunity for someone to come up with an operating system that works better and is less of a hassle to upgrade than continuous charges from Windows.

Slater
06-25-15, 15:56
I can certainly see that happening. Windows 10 would be free, however if you want Windows 10.1, 10.2, etc. that'll cost you.

Doc Safari
06-25-15, 16:00
I can certainly see that happening. Windows 10 would be free, however if you want Windows 10.1, 10.2, etc. that'll cost you.

It won't even be that. There won't be a Windows 10.1, etc.

It will just be "July 2016 update: $10.00"

If you don't pay, your computer will eventually become unusable and you'll have to pay for a bunch of updates all at once.

I'm just guessing of course, but it sounds like that's the only way Microsoft can keep the cash flowing in.

The only other alternative is for Microsoft to let you use Windows 10 for a year, then charge you a subscription that lets you have unlimited updates.

Come to think of it, they might do both.

brickboy240
06-25-15, 16:05
Hanging on to 7 as long as I can.

We ran XP for quite some time after it went away.

cwgibson
06-25-15, 18:33
Win 10 should be an improvement over 8 and is free. I cannot comment on the monthly fee as this is the first I have heard of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tb-av
06-25-15, 19:13
Not sure how accurate this is...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/while-windows-10-is-free-now-will-there-be-a/220c6520-3531-4f6a-9cd3-0227286d7642

Kain
06-25-15, 19:26
Win 10 should be an improvement over 8 and is free. I cannot comment on the monthly fee as this is the first I have heard of it.

It was what I had heard in the rumor mill last time I spoke with a friend and when I was last in a computer shop for my laptop.

Not sure how accurate this is...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/while-windows-10-is-free-now-will-there-be-a/220c6520-3531-4f6a-9cd3-0227286d7642

Reading between, or not so in between, the lines, free if you buy in the first year, for the life of the device. Operative phrase in bold. Device dies you ****ed, and if MS writing it like their Windows 8, if harddrive dies and you need to reinstall then they consider that a new device. After that magical one year mark if you want it on any other device I would expect some sort of charge or other.

Sorry if I am sounding pessimistic, but it isn't that I don't trust the ****ers to not pull some shit, but I don't ****ing trust the ****ers not to pull some shit.

Digital_Damage
06-25-15, 19:34
LOL at the nonsense in this thread. We have been on an RTM for awhile now.

You will not have to pay a monthly fee... They did the same thing with 8.1.

The reason Microsoft is handing it out for free is no one is making money on OS' anymore. It is all about subscription software and content.

They give you the OS, try to entice you to subscribe to office 365. I'm a big fan of Office 365 Business Premium.

It is a new world with SAAS.

Digital_Damage
06-25-15, 19:37
It was what I had heard in the rumor mill last time I spoke with a friend and when I was last in a computer shop for my laptop.

Reading between, or not so in between, the lines, free if you buy in the first year, for the life of the device. Operative phrase in bold. Device dies you ****ed, and if MS writing it like their Windows 8, if harddrive dies and you need to reinstall then they consider that a new device. After that magical one year mark if you want it on any other device I would expect some sort of charge or other.

Sorry if I am sounding pessimistic, but it isn't that I don't trust the ****ers to not pull some shit, but I don't ****ing trust the ****ers not to pull some shit.

That is not the way their licensing works, they are not apple. You will still have a license that you can place on another device, you will have a limited number of activations. If you exceed it you can call them for more.

Find a new computer shop... I did not even know those still existed.

Kain
06-25-15, 20:21
That is not the way their licensing works, they are not apple. You will still have a license that you can place on another device, you will have a limited number of activations. If you exceed it you can call them for more.

Find a new computer shop... I did not even know those still existed.

Not the experience or information I received in regards to their Windows8 last time I had issues with them. Was told by one of their reps that if the harddrive was replaced, since it died, I had to buy a new license. Then again, as incompetent as their CS is(Took me 3 calls, and nearly threatening to come through a phoneline to get them to cancel reup on an xbox live subscription after being told the first two times that it had been taken care of only to get the emails saying it would be reuped on a given date)I wouldn't be surprised if it was bad info from them. But, with that, I still don't trust them, then again, I don't trust many if anyone, but especially the ones trying to sell me something.

That said, I still likely won't even look at 10 until I get ready for a new laptop, at which point it will likely be preinstalled on the machine anyway, since I treat software and tech like new guns. I don't buy when they first come out.

cwgibson
06-25-15, 22:35

That's why I started using Linux, the only thing I use windows for now is to run my school software.

t1tan
06-26-15, 13:25
As a long time user of 7 and not being a fan of 8/8.1 I've been using the Windows 10 Insider Preview since May(currently Build 10130) on the new gaming machine I put together and have been pleased with it. A few small issues pop up here and there as updates come frequently. Since I only use windows for gaming, I do always turn off almost all windows services and features and generally only use chrome, steam, origin, battle.net on a regular basis, so that helps keep issues to a minimum, but overall I look forward to the full release.

Digital_Damage
06-26-15, 13:39
Not the experience or information I received in regards to their Windows8 last time I had issues with them. Was told by one of their reps that if the harddrive was replaced, since it died, I had to buy a new license. Then again, as incompetent as their CS is(Took me 3 calls, and nearly threatening to come through a phoneline to get them to cancel reup on an xbox live subscription after being told the first two times that it had been taken care of only to get the emails saying it would be reuped on a given date)I wouldn't be surprised if it was bad info from them. But, with that, I still don't trust them, then again, I don't trust many if anyone, but especially the ones trying to sell me something.

That said, I still likely won't even look at 10 until I get ready for a new laptop, at which point it will likely be preinstalled on the machine anyway, since I treat software and tech like new guns. I don't buy when they first come out.

That is just bad information.
First mistake was calling Microsoft if you did not have the ISO that came with your computer. You should have called the OEM to get the ISO. The volume licensing key the OEM used to image your system and live account would already be register with Microsoft and you can just rerun the upgrade.

Kain
06-26-15, 13:59
That is just bad information.
First mistake was calling Microsoft if you did not have the ISO that came with your computer. You should have called the OEM to get the ISO. The volume licensing key the OEM used to image your system and live account would already be register with Microsoft and you can just rerun the upgrade.

Again, I am going by what I have heard, and been told, including their CS.
When I contacted the manufacturer of the laptop since it didn't come with any recovery disks, only a recovery partition on the harddrive that had gone to hell(Not much use there when the HD dies, and backup disks are scattered to the 7 winds from a recent move) I was told to get their disks from them would cost me more than just buying a license. Which was why I called MS, and that was what I was told, by their knuckleheads. Like I said, their CS has proven incompetent before, so if I getting ****ed up info it isn't that big of a surprise, but nevertheless make me less than trusting of anything they do. Ended up imaging the old harddrive and getting things sorted that way, actually turned out better since I didn't end up losing anything, so other than taking me another couple days, it came out to a wash, besides, that is why I keep an extra laptop around for such events.

Big A
07-01-15, 20:28
I received the same notification and signed up to get Windows 10. I absolutely loathe Windows 8 so it can't possibly be any worse than what I already have.

cwgibson
07-01-15, 22:54
I received the same notification and signed up to get Windows 10. I absolutely loathe Windows 8 so it can't possibly be any worse than what I already have.

Not a fan of 8 either but I hear 10 is supposed to be better.

Koshinn
07-02-15, 05:06
LOL at the nonsense in this thread. We have been on an RTM for awhile now.

You will not have to pay a monthly fee... They did the same thing with 8.1.

The reason Microsoft is handing it out for free is no one is making money on OS' anymore. It is all about subscription software and content.

They give you the OS, try to entice you to subscribe to office 365. I'm a big fan of Office 365 Business Premium.

It is a new world with SAAS.

They still make a ton of money off of enterprise and OEM sales.

Individual users are likely to not upgrade, pirate it, or get it for free with a new computer. So offering it to home users for free is just a good idea in every way. Plus they get Windows Store to all those Win7 users like me who refused to update to Win8.