PDA

View Full Version : New Tikka produced by Colt Canada

JWR075
06-26-15, 07:11
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/06/25/replacement-selected-for-canadian-rangers-lee-enfield-rifles/

Seems like a major upgrade from the Lee Enfields they were using.

The search for a new rifle fit for the Canadian Rangers has ended, and the replacement is surprising. Colt Canada was selected in late 2014 to provide rifles to replace the Rangers’ venerable No. 4 Lee-Enfields, which many assumed meant the next rifle would be a .223/5.56mm caliber AR-15 derivative, from the company’s lineup. Not so! While the new rifle will be made by Colt Canada, it has been derived from the Sako T3 CTR, and will be chambered in .308 Winchester:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ranger-rifle-sized1-660x495.jpg

misfit47
06-26-15, 13:18
That's interesting. Wonder why they are using colt instead of just buying the rifles from sako?

Tx_Aggie
06-26-15, 13:58
I'm not crazy about the red laminate stock, but I like the rest of that rifle a lot. I wonder if these will be for sale to the public here in the US at some point.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-27-15, 02:16
I sure hope they import it here. A nice .308 bolt with iron sights is hard to find.

mark5pt56
06-27-15, 06:08
If one could source the bottom metal and sights a good smith could make one. I do like it, modernized version of rifles used long ago

yellowfin
06-28-15, 08:46
Ooh, does this mean those Enfields will hit the surplus market?

misfit47
06-28-15, 09:48
Ooh, does this mean those Enfields will hit the surplus market?

Doubt it. Scrap heap I bet.

MountainRaven
06-28-15, 10:48
That's interesting. Wonder why they are using colt instead of just buying the rifles from sako?

I'm going to guess that Canada has a legal requirement for where the rifles are manufactured.

Whether it's that they have to be made in Canada or made in an allied or NATO-allied country - for which Finland does not qualify - I couldn't begin to guess.

I would bet that they get sold on the Canadian surplus market. Whether we see any here, I do not know. But from talking with Canadians, it does sound like it's much easier to get a surplus Lee-Enfield in Canada than in the US (and most of them are, I believe, Canadian manufacture, too).

RONK
07-02-15, 06:15
Thanks for posting this.At one time they were looking at the Ruger Gunsite.Any clue to why their using the laminate stock on the Tikka?I read elsewhere,there are no current plans to market the rifle in the U.S.I also read,there was also a Ruger rifle in 30-06,14" barrel,folding stock produced for a Canadian SAR unit.Neat stuff.

Lost River
07-13-15, 20:15
In regards to the laminate stock, a reasonable guess would be the extreme sub zero temps of the Arctic region, and the remoteness of the AO. Using the rifles for subsistence hunting and having a plastic stock crack/shatter in the cold could be a critical issue. Laminate makes sense for their role.

Awesome looking configuration. Very practical.

H Wyman
07-13-15, 22:03
I sure hope they import it here. A nice .308 bolt with iron sights is hard to find.

For a 20 something with laser vision....:cool:

skimbleshanks
07-23-15, 02:18
If I was still buying factory guns for hunting that rifle would be on the list. A solid practical knock around rifle. Hopefully colt Canada can maintain the accuracy of the t3.

glock24
08-19-15, 19:48
I just can't fathom buying a Sako rifle that's built by Colt . . .

The replacement rifle is based on the SAKO T3 CTR (Compact Tactical Rifle). SAKO Ltd is based in Riihimaki, Finland. The Canadian supplier is Stoeger Canada from Whitby, Ontario. Colt Canada will produce the barrel, bolt and receiver under licence from Sako.

mark5pt56
08-22-15, 04:47
The quality would be there, licensing etc.

JWR075
01-22-16, 07:53
For those interested in obtaining one of these rifles, Sako has said that they will be bringing this rifle to the U.S. Looks like I'll have to start setting aside so cash.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/01/21/shot-2016-c-19-canadian-ranger-rifle-will-come-us/

MountainRaven
01-22-16, 11:04

Another reply to this post and an addendum to my last:

Apparently, the Canadian Rangers will be allowed to acquire the Lee-Enfield rifles they have been issued as the Tikkas come on line.

mack7.62
01-22-16, 14:13
The reason the Ruger Scout was dropped was because of the fact that they would have to be built by Colt Canada, they wanted the TDP and Ruger said hell no.

Noodles
01-22-16, 16:05
The reason the Ruger Scout was dropped was because of the fact that they would have to be built by Colt Canada, they wanted the TDP and Ruger said hell no.

You have a source for that? Because having owned both... The Ruger Scout doesn't hold a candle to the Tikka CTR.

It's not even close. So if a Canadian contract came up and they had access to a range of firearms... It seems very unlikely the Ruger Scout was going to be chosen regardless of stipulations.

misanthropist
01-25-16, 12:53
I can tell you that there was definitely a lot of talk about the Scout at various points in this program.

And a lot of manufacturers hate the idea of giving their TDP to Colt Canada.

I can't tell you whether that was the specific reason that it broke this exact way, but any manufacturer that wouldn't give the TDP to Colt Canada was immediately excluded.

Tikka was willing to give CC the information.

Mr. Goodtimes
01-25-16, 13:43
I've been wanting something similar (but more modern) than a lee enfield and nobody really makes it. This comes close.

I think I'm going to end up getting a Win 70 extreme weather in 30-06 and cutting/threading the barrel, installing iron sights and installing bottom metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
01-25-16, 16:52
I can tell you that there was definitely a lot of talk about the Scout at various points in this program.

And a lot of manufacturers hate the idea of giving their TDP to Colt Canada.

I can't tell you whether that was the specific reason that it broke this exact way, but any manufacturer that wouldn't give the TDP to Colt Canada was immediately excluded.

Tikka was willing to give CC the information.

I kind of want the Steyr Scout that was proposed for this program (programme?).

misanthropist
01-25-16, 17:12
It's nice, but it weighs a couple of kilometres.

Noodles
01-25-16, 17:20
It's nice, but it weighs a couple of kilometres.

That's very impressive.

And to this entire thread.... RUGER SCOUT != STEYR SCOUT

MountainRaven
01-25-16, 20:09
That's very impressive.

And to this entire thread.... RUGER SCOUT != STEYR SCOUT

I was talking about this:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/11350751_1710102045875838_5607986828521716049_n-660x439.jpg
Prototype Steyr Scout from the Canadian Ranger Competition - The Firearm Blog (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/11/prototype-steyr-scout-canadian-ranger-competition/).

misfit47
01-25-16, 20:24
That is sweet!

Noodles
01-26-16, 11:05
Am I missing something or is the Steyr Scout just their production gun with irons and two of the panels done in orange?

Eurodriver
01-26-16, 14:14
Am I missing something or is the Steyr Scout just their production gun with irons and two of the panels done in orange?

You're missing something.

Noodles
01-26-16, 15:45
You're missing something.

Ah, yea, the extended magazine. Of course, how could I look over that.

Irons attached to the rail, extended magazine, orange panels.

Eurodriver
01-26-16, 16:02
There you go.

misanthropist
01-26-16, 18:30
Also comes with the enhanced price tag.