PDA

View Full Version : So, I'll be buying my first plate carrier shortly; how do I measure?

Mauser KAR98K
06-26-15, 12:05
I've seen the measuring guide for the Mayflower, but I am curious if there are other ways, or tips into measuring myself for a plate carrier (Mayflower).

I'm 6.1, broad shouldered, sigh...278 pounds...and a tall back.

Also, I wear an asortment of camo, plus looking into going local LE down the road (they do not have funding for this type of gear, plus if I leave, I get to take it with me), so should I go with a Coyote/FDE or something else? I'm basing this off of a chart that Coyote is a good in between of wooded and urban.

Thanks.

WickedWillis
06-26-15, 12:59
We have a very similar body style from your description. I will be interested in this topic as well, although I have decided to hold off on the whole getup until I complete my first cycle of P90X

Wake27
06-26-15, 13:09
I have a different build but Mayflower's chart worked great for me. I sometimes worry that mine is too small but I think that's just because I'm used to an IBA which is huge. Make sure you check out the thread on here about proper plate wear if you haven't already, I think that helped me some too. As for color, that obviously depends on location. Make sure whatever department(s) you're considering doesn't have specific guidance for color. Ranger Green is kind of the universal LEO "tactical" color and is a great general purpose just like coyote. If your area features brown or green more prominently with just splashes of other colors I'd go with the more dominant. Of course there is always Multicam as well. Definitely more of a "geardo" color but a PC isn't exactly covert anyways. I'm still a huge Multicam fanboy after doing some minor force on force against guys who were wearing it in both a SoCal desertish area and the Forest Moon of Endor (WA). It really is an effective pattern.

Mauser KAR98K
07-03-15, 08:07
What size plates should I consider? Can I fit 10x12 plates in a large size PC?

jpmuscle
07-03-15, 09:08
What size plates should I consider? Can I fit 10x12 plates in a large size PC?
You can yes, usually. Providing the PC you get allows for plate adjustments. That said its not optimal. Run the appropriate size plates in the correct size carrier. At your height and weight 10x12 are likely to small. I'm 6'1" 230 ish and run large SAPI so 10x13 or so.

As for carriers I really like the velocity LWPCs and the new scarabs. Highcom security is running a 30% sale this weekend on plates and free shipping. Code "staysafe" too.

Mauser KAR98K
07-03-15, 13:52
You can yes, usually. Providing the PC you get allows for plate adjustments. That said its not optimal. Run the appropriate size plates in the correct size carrier. At your height and weight 10x12 are likely to small. I'm 6'1" 230 ish and run large SAPI so 10x13 or so.

As for carriers I really like the velocity LWPCs and the new scarabs. Highcom security is running a 30% sale this weekend on plates and free shipping. Code "staysafe" too.

Man, what a hell of a week to be broke!!