PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Slave Trade - Animation

tb-av
06-26-15, 14:44
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_history_of_american_slavery/2015/06/animated_interactive_of_the_history_of_the_atlantic_slave_trade.html

cinco
06-26-15, 16:40
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_history_of_american_slavery/2015/06/animated_interactive_of_the_history_of_the_atlantic_slave_trade.html

Good post. Very informative as most have no idea of the disparity in slave imports of No. America vs. the Caribe/So. America.

No issue though,in the liberal mind, that it was mostly blacks selling blacks.

Averageman
06-26-15, 16:51
The death rate of the slaves sent to the Islands and South America was also incredibly high for those slaves.
If you were sold in to slavery heading south was pretty much a death sentencej

austinN4
06-26-15, 16:57
The death rate of the slaves sent to the Islands and South America was also incredibly high for those slaves not sent to North America.
If you were sold in to slavery heading south was pretty much a death sentence
That's why they needed so many.

GH41
06-26-15, 17:55
Please don't take this the wrong way but... I suspect life as a slave in America was better than most had in Africa.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-26-15, 17:59
Please don't take this the wrong way but... I suspect life as a slave in America was better than most had in Africa.

I think Id rather have a mud hut and my freedom than a wood floor and chains.

Averageman
06-26-15, 18:10

I'm not so sure about that.
I don't think there is any way to determine just how much better or worse their lives would have been in North America vs staying in Africa.
Considering the 300,000 + or - that came here have seemed to flourish in population, the numbers would say they were at least a hell of a lot better of than those sent to South America or the Islands.
I would guess it may have taken some generations to move their station in life further up the ladder, but the same could be said for any group coming here.

GH41
06-26-15, 20:29

Do you have freedom now? If you don't pay your mortgage you have no place to live... If you don't pay your car payment you have no way to get around... If you don't work you have a problem buying food... YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.... YOU ARE A SLAVE!!! If I I were offered a position today that offered me a place to live, food to eat, transportation and clothes on my back in exchange for work I would take it.

The_War_Wagon
06-26-15, 21:04
So Brazil and the other South American nations are making reparations WHEN? :rolleyes:

SteyrAUG
06-26-15, 21:49
Good post. Very informative as most have no idea of the disparity in slave imports of No. America vs. the Caribe/So. America.

No issue though,in the liberal mind, that it was mostly blacks selling blacks.

Even for North America it was Africans selling Africans. We didn't go enslave anyone. Africans enslaved other Africans and then sold or traded them to those who brought them to North America. There were even prominent slave traders who were African who came to North America to run the slave importation business on the receiving end. Some even attended American universities.

SteyrAUG
06-26-15, 21:52

I think most would. But I think what is being said is that being a slave in North America was far preferable to being a slave in South America, or even worse...being a slave in Africa. Slaves in Africa would be worked to death and then literally end up in the soup. Not that being a slave in North America was all "Huckleberry Finn" and good times, but it beat the alternatives.

SteyrAUG
06-26-15, 21:56
Do you have freedom now? If you don't pay your mortgage you have no place to live... If you don't pay your car payment you have no way to get around... If you don't work you have a problem buying food... YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.... YOU ARE A SLAVE!!! If I I were offered a position today that offered me a place to live, food to eat, transportation and clothes on my back in exchange for work I would take it.

Philosophically, perhaps.

But while we are a "slave to the system" to a certain extent, when was the last time your boss raped your wife, sold your kids to another company or broke your legs because you applied for work elsewhere?

So I think "slave" is more than a bit of a stretch. A mild form of indentured servitude would be more accurate. And you can always go Ted Kaczynski and live in a shack if you have the skills to survive.

cinco
06-27-15, 07:51

This could, at times and in various circumstances, be applied to the dirt poor white Europeans (i.e. Irish) who suffered through horrible conditions and discrimination in the North. These poor white immigrants were seen as disposable and hated every bit as blacks would have experienced in the south.

Whereas, a southerner might have had the equivalent cost of a new work vehicle invested in his slave. As importation of slaves was banned, it became even more critical to protect that investment as replacement "by breeding" carried both a large money and time investment. We all know demand and supply drive price. Not saying all slave owners valued their investments. Likewise, most here are aware, it is a fallacy that everyone owned slaves. Slave ownership was a relatively wealthy man's game.

The "Nativists" sure weren't amiable towards the poor white immigrants. They looked to exploit and suppress them to the grandest of circumstances. At one point, the Nativists even had their own political party - known as the "Know Nothing Party" and later changed to the "American Party" - with specific goals to segregate established white "Natives" from the poor immigrants. At membership over 1 million and several state and federal officials, they held some political sway for a time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_Nothing

kwelz
06-27-15, 11:12
There is slavery to a system and then there is Slavery.

Slavery in the South (or north for that matter), and especially in South America was harsh and cruel. I would rather live in a mud hut than with those conditions.

Honu
06-27-15, 15:29
we have to remember who captured and enslaved who to sell !!! Africans did this to Africans so the idea of freedom was actually not very free sadly
we have to look at there OWN country was the problem and still is today which is the root there own people and country are the ones that started all this and were doing all this long before the Americas trade started happening so they were in this long before !! and are still in it today

at least those that came to the North Americas had a chance of having a better life than those that went to Southern or Central America

I have been saying this all the time about learning history of slavery

since I lived in the Caribbean I lived with locals I was not in a rich area etc.....
hearing them they hate the Spaniards with a passion for what they did and realize that North America was the place to be
considering how they live now they are so sick of hearing about US blacks and there whining considering how good they have it
poverty in the Caribbean is nothing like the welfare poverty of the US that is for sure nobody bails you out down there !

MegademiC
06-27-15, 16:01

Yes I do. I can work how and where I want and live my life as I wish as long as I don't trample the rights of others.

What you describe is commerce, not slavery. If you own your house and car, well, you own that. A job does provide living quarters, food, ect. It's called money that you buy that stuff with. Relating a market to real slavery is rediculous.

People who live in debt do so by choice, not force.

Averageman
06-27-15, 16:20
Yes I do. I can work how and where I want and live my life as I wish as long as I don't trample the rights of others.

What you describe is commerce, not slavery. If you own your house and car, well, you own that. A job does provide living quarters, food, ect. It's called money that you buy that stuff with. Relating a market to real slavery is rediculous.

Very true, I think the Man in the funny Brown Hat used to say "You dumb asses are doing this to yourselves" and I would say many if not most Americans kind of have a knack for it.

Moose-Knuckle
06-28-15, 00:05

Where you think they became slaves in the first place?

Life in Africa / Middle East has always been pretty barbaric.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-28-15, 22:34
Where you think they became slaves in the first place?

Life in Africa / Middle East has always been pretty barbaric.

Thank you for the unwarranted history lesson. Liberty or death is a saying that comes to mind.

Moose-Knuckle
06-29-15, 00:27
Thank you for the unwarranted history lesson. Liberty or death is a saying that comes to mind.

You are most welcome, I do agree with you on Patrick Henry's ideology but would prefer if the people the next village over wouldn't hack my village to pieces and enslave the "lucky" survivors in the first place.

Benito
06-29-15, 12:14

Are you serious??
Somewhere in all this, you are missing the concept of consent and mutual agreement.
No one is literally forcing you buy a house or a car. You can get around on foot, bicycle or whatever. If you want someone else to build you a car, you will have to give them something in exchange. Ditto for your house.
You can't expect other people to build and give you things for free. That would be enslaving them.

Exactly. Said better than I did.