PDA

View Full Version : What happened to this case?

Zane1844
06-27-15, 13:34
It is factory Magtech 5.56 62gr. I noticed while picking up my brass, it is the only one like this, all the other spent cases looked fine. I also noticed nothing weird while shooting. The upper is a KAC SR15 Mod1.

The crack will catch your fingernail, but its not too deep into the case.

MonkTx
06-27-15, 14:17
Longitudinal splits are usually associated with problems in the brass drawing process, either inclusions or overworked brass. Magtech(CBC) maybe be cutting some steps on the brass draw process and turning out some crap brass because I've found a few like that also.

Zane1844
06-27-15, 16:00
Longitudinal splits are usually associated with problems in the brass drawing process, either inclusions or overworked brass. Magtech(CBC) maybe be cutting some steps on the brass draw process and turning out some crap brass because I've found a few like that also.

Interesting, I hope that is not the case with them. Since this 62gr has been really accurate. I was actually shooting out to 500yards today. Only at a 12" steel but hits were consistent if I did my part.

I consider the Magtech some of the best FMJ.

texasgunhand
06-27-15, 19:08
Pull some random rounds and inspect them before shooting,then see if it happens again. Maybe just a weak spot in those two since you didnt have a problem with the rest. Still scary looking though,inspect your emptys closely to see if you see any more cracks.Hopefully you brought the rest home.

Zane1844
06-27-15, 19:15
Pull some random rounds and inspect them before shooting,then see if it happens again. Maybe just a weak spot in those two since you didnt have a problem with the rest. Still scary looking though,inspect your emptys closely to see if you see any more cracks.Hopefully you brought the rest home.

That is just two pictures of the same case. I did not keep the cases, I gave them to someone who reloads. So, if anything, they will find any cracks in them. I checked over a bunch after finding that one and they were fine.

I wonder if I should contact Magtech and see what they say about it.

markm
06-27-15, 19:24

Yep. Bad piece of brass.

Zane1844
06-27-15, 21:34
Yep. Bad piece of brass.

Is there anything I should worry about with this? Can it cause my gun to kaboom in my face? I also emailed Magtech about it, asking the same thing.

The case shows no signs of overpressure, the primer looks fine.

I am going to clean my gun- I have actually never cleaned this upper since getting it in November- and go shoot some of this ammo tomorrow to examine some cases.

texasgunhand
06-27-15, 23:28
That is just two pictures of the same case. I did not keep the cases, I gave them to someone who reloads. So, if anything, they will find any cracks in them. I checked over a bunch after finding that one and they were fine.

I wonder if I should contact Magtech and see what they say about it.

Doesnt cost anything to contact them,i do if i thinks theres a problem.

If the reloader who took your brass is your friend,you might let him know there could be a problem with the brass so he doesnt throw it in the mix. Just for safety...

Keeping the chamber clean is a good idea always...iam sure you know this already...

markm
06-28-15, 22:18
Is there anything I should worry about with this? Can it cause my gun to kaboom in my face? I also emailed Magtech about it, asking the same thing.

The case shows no signs of overpressure, the primer looks fine.

I am going to clean my gun- I have actually never cleaned this upper since getting it in November- and go shoot some of this ammo tomorrow to examine some cases.

I wouldn't be worried at all.

P2000
06-28-15, 23:47
I had one like that, although it was PMC. I fired the whole 1000 round case without any issues.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?87911-Non-eventful-case-failure-should-I-worry&highlight=

FollowThru
06-29-15, 09:04
Couple of months ago I had a couple cases do the same thing, they were new factory loaded Win. 357 mag. white box 110gr.