PDA

View Full Version : who has the best lightweight barrel?

skyugo
07-20-08, 00:44
i've got a CMMG light barrel now. i like it... i'd like to upgrade though. mostly to get rid of my perm. muzzle brake and add a low profile gas block.

under 400 bucks would be nice. i need a 16" middy

AnimalMother556
07-20-08, 12:29
Colt 6520 barrel. I've been trying for some time to get my hands on one. Had a Bushmaster Superlight on a KISS build that I could never get to run right, but other than that your options are somewhat limited unless you turn to budget AR manufacturers (Del-ton, M&A, Model 1 etc.) AFAIK the only current manufacturers of lightweight middies is CMMG or RRA (if you'd like to buy one and wait about a decade for it), but Charles Daley has mentioned the possibility of them being produced in the near future.

skyugo
07-20-08, 17:33
hmm i guess i'll either be buying a noveske complete N4 recce upper or another CMMG light barrel...

Dan Goodwin
07-20-08, 22:16
Was looking at Brownell's AR supplement at the office Friday, and I believe DPMS is offering A1 profile barrels in 20 & 11.5-inch length. 1x9 twist and chrome-lined, IIRC.

Considering the 11.5 for a pistol.

AnimalMother556
07-20-08, 23:20
Did you just suggest buying DPMS!?!

skyugo
07-20-08, 23:24
does anybody have weight specs on a medium noveske barrel vs a lightweight profile barrel?

i suppose i could have ar15barrels.com turn down a pacnor barrel to lightweight specs for me...

i might just get my perm muzzle brake chiseled off and keep the barrel i have for awhile.. it's served me well so far

Dan Goodwin
07-21-08, 08:24
Did you just suggest buying DPMS!?!

While I'm aware overall DPMS firearms have had reliability issues, does that extend to their barrels, too?

BTW, just got into the office and I remembered incorrectly!

It is Double Star barrels with an A1 profile in Brownell's. Are their barrels worth a hoot?

My agency is just now getting into ARs (we issue Colt only), but I'm relatively new to ARs so any help is appreciated, AM.

I'd like nothing better than a genuine Colt 6520 barrel with which to work, but where do you find one?