PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Sparc review by Recoil

VIP3R 237
06-28-15, 12:00
Has anyone else seen the review from Recoil on the Vortex Sparc? They put that thing through hell and back. I'm impressed!

http://www.recoilweb.com/vortex-sparc-ii-the-dot-that-would-not-die-67267.html

lahunter57
06-28-15, 13:10
I saw something on Facebook the other day about this and when I went back to read it, I couldn't find it. Thanks for posting that!

I've got a BCM 16" middy that just has irons and I've been thinking about getting a cheaper red dot to put on it just for fun. That was one hell of a test.

I guess it's between the Sparc and the the Advanced Micro Dot now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpyderMan2k4
06-28-15, 14:31
I've been wanting a red dot for my AK for a while... I may pull the h1 off of my wife's gun and give her a sparc, I'm impressed with how it held up

Wake27
06-28-15, 15:06
I saw something on Facebook the other day about this and when I went back to read it, I couldn't find it. Thanks for posting that!

I've got a BCM 16" middy that just has irons and I've been thinking about getting a cheaper red dot to put on it just for fun. That was one hell of a test.

I guess it's between the Sparc and the the Advanced Micro Dot now.

I'd like to see how the two compare. I'd probably default to Vortex for the brand but I'd rather have an H1 clone so the PA is tempting. I have an AK and a shotgun that both need red dots but I really don't feel like spending that much on them since They wouldn't be primary fighting guns. Plus, with the reviews that these things are getting, they're hard to ignore.

lahunter57
06-28-15, 15:40
I'd like to see how the two compare. I'd probably default to Vortex for the brand but I'd rather have an H1 clone so the PA is tempting. I have an AK and a shotgun that both need red dots but I really don't feel like spending that much on them since They wouldn't be primary fighting guns. Plus, with the reviews that these things are getting, they're hard to ignore.

My thought process was to buy a PA and then get something along the lines of a DD mount so I could eventually upgrade it to a T-(1 or 2) later down the line once I got the funds. I love how the PA uses the same mount. But the vortex looks promising....
This is a difficult decision.

EDIT: I just found out the the Sparc is also compatible with Micro mounts...

BuzzinSATX
06-28-15, 19:24
I read that review today. They really beat the crap out of the Sparc and finally killed it in a microwave, which I thought was stupid.

I have a Strikefire from years ago that still works great on a .22 rifle. Had an issue with a battery shorting out in it once and Vortex CS had me back up and running in about two weeks. Great company!

Take Care,

Buzz

Boba Fett v2
06-28-15, 21:24
Lol I picked up a copy when I stopped in the local convenient store today. Saw the Sparc torture test. Will give the article a read tonight.

texasgunhand
07-02-15, 18:18
For the money Vortex is hard to beat. Their scope line is getting better and better. I have several friends running their red dots and like them.

KravRunner
08-14-15, 18:45
I put one of these on my LE6920 Socom and I've been happy with it so far. Good to know that it should stand up to anything that I'm likely to subject it to.

Jewell
08-26-15, 04:32
For the price, the quality of the Sparc is outstanding. Although I'd never plan on throwing it in a fire or smashing it on a tree, it's nice to know it'll hold up if I did.

sidewaysil80
08-26-15, 07:06
I had one of the gen 1 sparcs and it was very robust and stout. It did everything it was supposed to do. In fact, a fella on that "other" site did a similiar tortue test and it too held up just fine.

The thing that drove me nuts was how strong the blue tint was while looking through the optic. I have looked through/used dozens of aimponts and they don't have it anywhere as severe as the Sparc. That is a huge negative and the primary reason I won't get another one. It's very distracting and obvious even when looking "over" the optic.

The other issue is while their customer service and warranty are the best in the industry, it's a little unsettling to hear how many people and how often they use it. On a plinker I have no issues and will continue to utilize their products. However for my truck/work gun I use Aimpoint as they have far less reports of failure. However when it comes to scopes Vortex really stands out (in my opinion) and would use them on any rifle without any concern. I have heard little to no reports of issues of failures with their scopes and I'd venture to say they have a better reputation then the Sparc.

Voodoo_Man
08-26-15, 09:35
Not to thread jump but I posted a review of the sparc 2 yesterday.
http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/08/vortex-optics-sparc-ii.html

I agree with recoil that its pretty robust but lacks niche quality and design points that higher end optics of its type offer.

bigjack7440
10-26-15, 16:22
Not to thread jump but I posted a review of the sparc 2 yesterday.
http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/08/vortex-optics-sparc-ii.html

I agree with recoil that its pretty robust but lacks niche quality and design points that higher end optics of its type offer.
Great reveiw . I've got both T2 and the Sparc2 and there's little differences and sure in real world battle we'd all ratter have a $750 a Aimpoint but for training and home defence I'd say this Sparc2 is going to be very hard to beat . I to bought mine after reading the reveiw in Recoil and now that I've had it for 2 months and have over 800 rounds under it I'd have to say that buying the next optic would be the Sparc2 . No I wouldn't ever trade my T2 or T1 and buy all Sparc 2 but I'd consider buying more sparc2 for up and coming builds . There not Aimpoint high grade optic but for non battle ( in country)weapons
I'll have to recommend to my friends the Sparc2 and Aimpoint if they want the "Best" out there

jstalford
10-26-15, 18:26
I saw that article when it came out and was impressed. I think I would still get an Aimpoint for an AR, but I think the sparc might be the ticket for my scorpion.

bigjack7440
10-26-15, 19:08
I saw that article when it came out and was impressed. I think I would still get an Aimpoint for an AR, but I think the sparc might be the ticket for my scorpion.

IMHO I think you'd be happy with the Sparc2 on your AR or any weapon where a qauilty optic in needed.
I am as mentioned a Aimpoint T1 and T2 owner and again IMHO the "new" Sparc2 is holding it's own in the optic market and for good reason . I'll be the 1st to say I was very skeptical about the Sparc2 because I'd operated a friends Ar with the 1st version of the Sparc and I was not impressed with it . At the same time I kept telling my self " well for the $ it's not bad " but that's not what we think about when buying a optic . The things I consider is 1 dependability , 2 craftsmanship , 3 why I need it and what am I using it for . Also the weight witch Aimpont t1 and t2 come in lighter than all the optic I've got or have had with the EoTechs being the heaviest , Then I think about price . So buying a a Aimpoint is 95% my 1st choice . But after reading that artical and I trust Recoil and most reveiws about weapons and weapon parts IF it's written by and from a credited current military or X / re tired military men . It's not like reading a reveiw about this months new iPhone or this years new truck lolo so yeh it's 100% the Article from Recoil that I bought the Sparc2 and I think the guys in that articl where SPOT ON WITH THERE REVEIW !! For $189 and the mounts were all use to for our Aimpoints works it's hard to beat the Sparc2 .
Good luck to all

Koshinn
10-26-15, 19:26
"With a rainbow of emotions ranging from joy, confusion, curiosity, determination, and uncertainty about what to do next, we put Sparc II in the microwave, where what appeared to be a mini lightning storm took place. We aren’t really sure what this replicates; let’s pretend an EMP or something. What used to be a nitrogen-filled sight turned into a black smoke-filled sight, and Sparc II’s dot would never again shine.

Don’t be sad! Vortex Optics has a no-questions-asked warranty, so we just mailed her back for a new one."

lol.

Dstrbdmedic167
10-26-15, 19:30
Had one for about a two years now and it still works as good today as it did on day one. Have it mounted on my 300blk SBR!

bigjack7440
10-26-15, 19:45
Had one for about a two years now and it still works as good today as it did on day one. Have it mounted on my 300blk SBR!

You've had the sparc2 for 2 yrs ???
I think they only been out what a year now ?
But if that's correct and it's been 2 years that's another good reveiw from someone that's actually used one for longer than a few months . I can only speak for the sparc2 and only for 3 months but with that said I've shot more amo under my sparc2 than the other optics ( t1 and t2) and that because it's mounted on my favorite ar witch is my KAC SR-15 MO2 E3 , I LOVE THAT WEAPON !! Operating it makes me look like a 20yr sniper Seal lolo

Ps
Yes Vortx no questions asked warranty is 2nd to none !!

Dstrbdmedic167
10-26-15, 19:46
You've had the sparc2 for 2 yrs ???
I think they only been out what a year now ?
But if that's correct and it's been 2 years that's another good reveiw from someone that's actually used one for longer than a few months . I can only speak for the sparc2 and only for 3 months but with that said I've shot more amo under my sparc2 than the other optics ( t1 and t2) and that because it's mounted on my favorite ar witch is my KAC SR-15 MO2 E3 , I LOVE THAT WEAPON !! Operating it makes me look like a 20yr sniper Seal lolo

Sparc not sparc 2.. My apologies there....

bigjack7440
10-26-15, 19:50
Sparc not sparc 2.. My apologies there....

Yes Sr . Ok I was thinking maybe you'd received a demo model for testing etc . So yeh that's great . Two years with the orginal version and your happy . I'd be willing to bet you'd really be happy with the Sparc2 when it comes time for your next optic purchase . Good luck

Dstrbdmedic167
10-26-15, 19:52
Yes Sr . Ok I was thinking maybe you'd received a demo model for testing etc . So yeh that's great . Two years with the orginal version and your happy . I'd be willing to bet you'd really be happy with the Sparc2 when it comes time for your next optic purchase . Good luck

Yea I may pick up one at some point. Getting ready to start doing some liquidating so who knows.

diving dave
10-27-15, 10:46
I have a Sparc on my 300 blk SBR, simply because I dont have the dough for another T1 yet..Others have mentioned the blue tint, but another issue is clarity. Just for shits and giggles I put my Aimpoint 3X behind it, and the image looked blurry. Still usable, but I dont get that distortion when looking through my T1.

sevenhelmet
10-27-15, 15:12
Don't laugh too hard, but I have one mounted to a Marlin .30/30. It's loads of fun to shoot, and has held zero great for the past couple years over a few hundred rounds. A magnified scope on the Marlin just seemed unnecessary.

Outlander Systems
10-27-15, 18:12
Before last hunting season a buddy of mine and I went to a public range to confirm zeroes on our hunting weapons.

Dude, I shit you not, with Remington Core Lokt ammo, dude was getting unfreakingbelievable performance at 100 yards out of that tirddy tirddy Marlin. Like, one of the smallest groups I've ever seen in my life.

If I hadn't been there to personally witness it, I would've thought he was bullshitting me.

Don't laugh too hard, but I have one mounted to a Marlin .30/30. It's loads of fun to shoot, and has held zero great for the past couple years over a few hundred rounds. A magnified scope on the Marlin just seemed unnecessary.

sevenhelmet
10-27-15, 18:37
Nice! The little Marlin is underrated IMO. I get more compliments on mine than I do on my ARs, despite it being a little goofy looking as a "fudd gun" with a modern red dot scope on it. There's just something just plain fun about a lever action. Mine isn't scary accurate, but it's good enough to get the job done at up to 200 yds in capable hands. I wouldn't take a shot on a deer outside 100 personally, but that's more because of me than the rifle.

Before last hunting season a buddy of mine and I went to a public range to confirm zeroes on our hunting weapons.

Dude, I shit you not, with Remington Core Lokt ammo, dude was getting unfreakingbelievable performance at 100 yards out of that tirddy tirddy Marlin. Like, one of the smallest groups I've ever seen in my life.

If I hadn't been there to personally witness it, I would've thought he was bullshitting me.

Outlander Systems
10-27-15, 19:00
I was thoroughly, thoroughly impressed.

It is definitely a ton of fun. I have nothing but respect for the ole .30-.30.

Nice! The little Marlin is underrated IMO. I get more compliments on mine than I do on my ARs, despite it being a little goofy looking as a "fudd gun" with a modern red dot scope on it. There's just something just plain fun about a lever action. Mine isn't scary accurate, but it's good enough to get the job done at up to 200 yds in capable hands. I wouldn't take a shot on a deer outside 100 personally, but that's more because of me than the rifle.

bigjack7440
10-27-15, 19:10
30.30 Winchester was the 1st rifle I ever owed and it was very accurate . I kept it for 15yrs until a "friend" stole it . Kinda always wanted another .

Outlander Systems
10-27-15, 19:13
I would love one for makin' bacon.

30.30 Winchester was the 1st rifle I ever owed and it was very accurate . I kept it for 15yrs until a "friend" stole it . Kinda always wanted another .

sevenhelmet
10-27-15, 19:25
I would love one for makin' bacon.

Well... they're available everywhere for less than the price of a new Glock, so for a modest outlay, you too can rock a lever! :cool:

Back on topic, that was a fun article to read, and it's nice to know the little SPARC II is a tough little scope. I wouldn't hesitate to drag mine through the woods on a trek (actually, I have...)

XD40Colorado
11-02-15, 12:44
Looks like it would be an ok SHTF-type optic. Only thing that sucks is the battery life.

sevenhelmet
11-02-15, 13:57
Looks like it would be an ok SHTF-type optic. Only thing that sucks is the battery life.

Battery life of 300 hours on max and 5000 hours on minimum brightness sounds pretty good to me. A replacement battery or two will last years. I've had my SPARC for two years and haven't changed the battery yet (sees use at least once every couple of weeks.) Spare batteries are also very compact and easy to store.

I have another red dot reflex sight which is over 6 years old and still going strong on the original battery. That's almost as long as the 7-year maximum storage life guarantee of many button batteries.

All that said, I have an ACOG mounted on another rifle. :D