PDA

View Full Version : GOOD HOT WEATHER BOOT

U&A
06-29-15, 09:28
I have always had good cold weather boots, Gore-Tex, waterproof,yada yada,....the works. I generally don't like to spend more than $150 for a pair of boots but have gone up to $200 if its necessary. I am not going to drop any brand names because i want your opinions on what you have found works well.

I am looking for a good hot weather Light weight boot. preferably in the FDE/Yote color scheme. I'm a shorts and boots kinda guy and I just don't like black boots with shorts. my main requirements are that they breath VERY well in you opinion (as much as a boot can even though its a boot) and that they are a 6" or 8" boot.......and they need to make me look like a tactical ninja operator while mowing my lawn on my tactical zero turn mower.....LOL http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smiley_faces/laughbounce2-smiley-face.gif (http://emoticoner.com) just kidding ......http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smiley_faces/microwave-smiley-face.gif (http://emoticoner.com)

ok I will say one brand name...here is one that i am considering. I have had good luck with their A.T.A.C. Shield.

http://www.511tactical.com/skyweight-rapiddry-boot-151763.html

Thanks for your opinion in advanced.

HKGuns
06-29-15, 13:30
I use Oakley LSA Terrain.

sadmin
06-29-15, 13:43
Great boot, Great CS by OTB. They have replaced my first pair for free after 2 years and the sole separating. It was even due to me having my foot too close to a fire.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C66CTGY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?&pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00C66CTKA&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0S9HM8W43K61418N3QAK

Wake27
06-29-15, 13:58
No experience with 5.11 boots or the Oakley, but I have heard tons of good thing about the latter aside from them wearing out fast. That usually comes from guys who do a lot of rucking though so maybe not a huge issue for you. I just bought a pair of Garmont T8s. I haven't used them yet, but I think they may be the best reviewed boot I've ever seen and I do know several guys who love them.

U&A
06-29-15, 15:25
ill have to research these options. Thanks for the input.

Turnkey11
06-29-15, 16:11
No experience with 5.11 boots or the Oakley, but I have heard tons of good thing about the latter aside from them wearing out fast. That usually comes from guys who do a lot of rucking though so maybe not a huge issue for you. I just bought a pair of Garmont T8s. I haven't used them yet, but I think they may be the best reviewed boot I've ever seen and I do know several guys who love them.

T8 NFS is my favorite boot, I wish I could find something like it in black for work.

Wake27
06-29-15, 16:29
T8 NFS is my favorite boot, I wish I could find something like it in black for work.

I tried the NFS but the roller lock pinched my foot like crazy. I'm starting to think I just didn't experiment with it enough though.

masan
06-30-15, 10:13
I have been wearing Lowa Zephyrs for about a year now and really like them.

I have the goretex version: http://www.backcountry.com//lowa-zephyr-gtx-mid-tf-hiking-boot-mens?cmp_id=EM_bcs_DDM54-2_M1 which breath well and are very comfortable.

There is a desert version: http://www.backcountry.com/lowa-zephyr-mid-tf-boot-mens?rr=t though I have never felt the need to try them out as the goretex version works well for me

U&A
06-30-15, 14:43
Well I found a good deal on the 5.11 Skyweight Rapid Dry boots with a great return policy so i figured id give them a shot. they are a new boot so there isn't much out there on them yet. I love my other 5.11 boots so why not try them. i don't expect them to be a very "heavy duty" boot because of all the 1200d nylon on them but they look like they will suit my purpose well.......we'll see. not sure if the dark brown will clash with my red zero turn mower though:sarcastic:

thanks for the reply's and ill post my first impressions after they ship form the 1-2 week back order.

FYI: I just cant bring my self to get a 6" boot(thought i could). I don't know why I feel like i need an 8" it just feels more secure i guess.

docsherm
07-01-15, 22:55
I really like the Nike FSB boot. Light weight yet durable. I posted a link below but if you search i am sure you can find then cheaper.

And it will give you that Tactical Ninja look you want.... :jester:

http://tacticalgear.com/nike-8-sfb-british-khaki?gclid=Cj0KEQjwn86sBRDroPiR0LrSzNYBEiQAzOaSYI-9jefWTnG5FMtscLwI3W8hUUb3BleZdMZb555DarkaAkEv8P8HAQ#/20601/1742,5129,11383/1

Alpha-17
07-02-15, 01:08
I'm wearing Danner Rivot TFXs right now. Not the absolute best for hot weather, but they're well made, and offer ankle support second to none. That's a must for me and my "cankles".

Spring-Diver
07-02-15, 03:16
+100%....Danner!!!

I've been wearing Danner's for 25+ years....most models are recraftable as well. As the saying goes "Buy once cry once "

This is an awesome hot weather boot!

http://www.danner.com/product/military/usmc-rat-hot.html

Cheers
Shannon

Chatterbox
07-02-15, 03:58
Another vote for Zephyr - a very comfortable boot.

Allen
07-02-15, 12:44
My vote is for the OTB, having had several pairs of Danner, Oakley and Raichle boots. The danner and oakley boots died. The OTB's are 3+ years old at this point, some fuzzies cured with a lighter. The Raichle (Branded as REI on the outside, not on the insole :) ) boots are still kicking 10 years later. Pretty sure the goretex is shot now, but I keep the leather well waxed.

Al

*ETA* In the midwest I wore the Raichle's all winter, every day. OTB's were a summer weekend/hiking/yardwork boot.

Wake27
07-02-15, 13:10
I love the Lowa Zephyr as well, but IMO it's a better temperate boot. I don't think it'd be as good for hot weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

masan
07-02-15, 15:40
I actually ordered a pair of the Desert Zephyrs, hopefully they compare well to my other Zephyrs

og556
07-02-15, 19:09
The non goretex zephyrs are very comfortable boots. if you are going to be using them on asphalt the soles will wear out quick. I wore out the treads on mine within 4 months of daily use.

The Danner RAT hot weather boots are excellent and hold up extremely well. Unfortunately they do not offer them without the Eagle Globe and Anchor any more. Personally I wouldn't feel right wearing that as I have not earned the EGA.

Turnkey11
07-14-15, 10:41
I love the Lowa Zephyr as well, but IMO it's a better temperate boot. I don't think it'd be as good for hot weather.

Whats everyone using for the jungle school in regards to boots? We used to get black jungle boots issued through CIF on Schofield, but since Army footwear went tan I havent seen anything really good for wading through creeks or swimming.

Wake27
07-14-15, 11:14
Whats everyone using for the jungle school in regards to boots? We used to get black jungle boots issued through CIF on Schofield, but since Army footwear went tan I havent seen anything really good for wading through creeks or swimming.

It's kind of all over the place. The Rocky S2Vs are very popular but after wearing them for years I got tired of the weight. Plus they really didn't dry out as fast as I remembered when I was at JRTC in May. I've moved on to Garmonts and while I've only been in them for about a week, they are probably the best reviewed boot I've ever heard of. If they dry relatively quickly, which always seems to be the hard part, then they'd be almost perfect. I'm just not a fan of the roller bearing. It pinches my foot so now I'm skipping it when lacing, but then it kind of sticks out. I've probably seen just as many people use it as not, and wish they'd make a pair without to save what tiny cost and weight they could. The issue boot is also very common but that's usually just because people don't care enough to spend any more money. I don't know how people wear that POS. After those three it's all over the place. Rocky did come out with a Jungle version of the S2V that is supposedly being tested here and with SOF, but when I tried it I just couldn't get it to fit right. I think I tried three different sizes and couldn't get any to work.

afff_667
07-14-15, 11:22
I hope this doesn't create too much thread drift, but boots are a freaking nightmare for me. I've got a really screwed up foot due to having all but one toe and the fifth metatarsal head removed on one foot (don't ask - it's ugly as sin), and I have to wear custom orthotics. To fit the orthotics (one side for the messed up foot, the other side to balance my gait), I normally buy 11.5 EEEE shoes and can get by with New Balance, Dunham, or any number of over-priced custom shoes for people with really ****ed up feet.

Normal, day-to-day stuff is pretty well handled, but I need a good, solid, hot weather boot. I checked out several of the options in this thread, but I didn't see anything that might work. I have talked to my docs, the guy who does my orthotics, and nothing that they've been able to come up with meets my needs for a solid boot for being outdoors. I hate showing up to the range in New Balance...

Anyone out there have any suggestions for a good hot weather boot that is as light as possible, has a wide and deep toe-box, and is orthotic friendly?

CRAMBONE
07-14-15, 11:45
Not a boot per say but more of a hiking shoe, I have been using Salomon XA PRO 3Ds for a few years. I'm on my second pair. Light weight, fit like a running shoe, have the cool little slider instead of tie laces, fairly cool and breathable. And they have a pro deal through Promotive if you qualify for it. And they just look like a shoe not a combat boot. I'm going to stick with these for a while, may switch to Selewas just to try them. A buddy of mine hates Salomons says his fell apart too quickly but I have either been lucky, he got a shit pair or he just didn't like them. I have used OTBs and liked them but they quit making my favorite pair when New Balance bought them.

Turnkey11
07-14-15, 12:29
It's kind of all over the place. The Rocky S2Vs are very popular but after wearing them for years I got tired of the weight. Plus they really didn't dry out as fast as I remembered when I was at JRTC in May. I've moved on to Garmonts and while I've only been in them for about a week, they are probably the best reviewed boot I've ever heard of. If they dry relatively quickly, which always seems to be the hard part, then they'd be almost perfect. I'm just not a fan of the roller bearing. It pinches my foot so now I'm skipping it when lacing, but then it kind of sticks out. I've probably seen just as many people use it as not, and wish they'd make a pair without to save what tiny cost and weight they could. The issue boot is also very common but that's usually just because people don't care enough to spend any more money. I don't know how people wear that POS. After those three it's all over the place. Rocky did come out with a Jungle version of the S2V that is supposedly being tested here and with SOF, but when I tried it I just couldn't get it to fit right. I think I tried three different sizes and couldn't get any to work.

Ive worn Garmont T8's in Texas summers and northern Minnesota and South Dakota winters. Once theyre wet, theyre wet. That said, Ive never gotten a blister wearing those boots when wet, I cant say that for any other type of boot. The T8 NFS has been my go-to boot for a while, they just dont drain like old school jungles or the OTB junglelites. The OTBs work great here with regular old school boot socks (wool bottom half, cotton whatever from the ankle up) when going through streams and mud. If I could find those boots new somewhere, Id buy a few pairs.

U&A
07-15-15, 06:39
I hope this doesn't create too much thread drift, but boots are a freaking nightmare for me. I've got a really screwed up foot due to having all but one toe and the fifth metatarsal head removed on one foot (don't ask - it's ugly as sin), and I have to wear custom orthotics. To fit the orthotics (one side for the messed up foot, the other side to balance my gait), I normally buy 11.5 EEEE shoes and can get by with New Balance, Dunham, or any number of over-priced custom shoes for people with really ****ed up feet.

Normal, day-to-day stuff is pretty well handled, but I need a good, solid, hot weather boot. I checked out several of the options in this thread, but I didn't see anything that might work. I have talked to my docs, the guy who does my orthotics, and nothing that they've been able to come up with meets my needs for a solid boot for being outdoors. I hate showing up to the range in New Balance...

Anyone out there have any suggestions for a good hot weather boot that is as light as possible, has a wide and deep toe-box, and is orthotic friendly?

from my experience the 5.11 A.T.A.C. boot has a large toe box that might help you out. they are "kinda" light. as far as the orthotic thing.....im not sure if this helps but I have 2 pair of 5.11 A.T.A.C's . one pair in a 9.5 for normal weather and regular socks and the other in a 10. I normally wear a 9.5 regular but got the 10 regular for winter when i wear thick wool socks. the extra size does not hurt a thing when i wear the bigger socks and the regular width seams a little roomier than other boots iv had. it makes me wonder if this method would give you the extra room you need for you F'ed up feet. especially if you got the wide version.

Willieboy
10-29-15, 09:19
Not a boot per say but more of a hiking shoe, I have been using Salomon XA PRO 3Ds for a few years. I'm on my second pair. Light weight, fit like a running shoe, have the cool little slider instead of tie laces, fairly cool and breathable. And they have a pro deal through Promotive if you qualify for it. And they just look like a shoe not a combat boot. I'm going to stick with these for a while, may switch to Selewas just to try them. A buddy of mine hates Salomons says his fell apart too quickly but I have either been lucky, he got a shit pair or he just didn't like them. I have used OTBs and liked them but they quit making my favorite pair when New Balance bought them.

I wear these too. Nice boot. I also have a similar pair of boots made by New Balance and sold by OTB until OTB was bought out by New Balance. These are the Repel model and they're very nice as well.

trinydex
11-20-15, 18:11
i like the salomon ultra gtx. if you need waterproof performance then gtx is a must. don't just get WP, that's just a plastic bag around your foot and you'll sweat.

i have wide feet and the salomon wide sizes don't seem to be any different than their non wide sizing. the ultras are shaped and cut in a way that the width really doesn't end up mattering too much. there's a lot of lateral give, but that also means there's not a lot of side impact protection if you're going to be running into or grazing rocks while hiking.

norbis
11-20-15, 21:22
Have you looked at the Salomon XA PRO? They make a high top version, gortex, non gortex, and have military colors as well as normal colors. I have had a pair for years and they are finally about to get replaced with another of the exact same. I love them.

trinydex
11-21-15, 01:46
Have you looked at the Salomon XA PRO? They make a high top version, gortex, non gortex, and have military colors as well as normal colors. I have had a pair for years and they are finally about to get replaced with another of the exact same. I love them.

I would add that if you have wide feet don't buy the xa series. the hard rubber spots are placed in areas that will affect toe and foot width comfort. the wide sized xa compared side by side with non wide sizes did not have any appreciable difference for me.

Hwikek
11-21-15, 14:51
Merrel MOABs. You can find them at any sporting goods store and for me personally they required no break in. They dry pretty fast as well and I have never seen my pair's laces come undone. For the money they are certainly a good buy.

trinydex
11-21-15, 17:24
Merrel MOABs. You can find them at any sporting goods store and for me personally they required no break in. They dry pretty fast as well and I have never seen my pair's laces come undone. For the money they are certainly a good buy.

the best part about the moab is it comes in wide sizes and Merrell wide sizes are significantly wider.

GO_ALLOUT
11-21-15, 18:24
Salomon quest 4G

gsh341
11-21-15, 18:49
My problem with a lot of the warm weather boots on the market is they are all a light tan and rough side out. They simply look too tactical for daily use with a casual dress code for work. I'd love to see some more boots made on medium dark brown with the smooth side out. There are some out there, but too often they are just not durable enough for daily wear. Not to mention, mud, dirt and dust are much easier to clean off of smooth leather surfaces.

Currently I use Keen Voyagers (http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/voyageur-mid), but all 3 pairs I have owned have had problems with the sole separating since it is a 2 piece sole. They are very comfortable, but the comfort isn't enough to compensate for the poor durability to make them a top quality boot.

11-22-15, 14:48
Salomon quest 4G

Have had a pair for about 1yr. Use them in northern UT mtns. during winter and in carbine classes in the summer.

My Asolo TPS 520's now just collect dust.

The 4G's are excellent products.

GO_ALLOUT
11-22-15, 14:52
Have had a pair for about 1yr. Use them in northern UT mtns. during winter and in carbine classes in the summer.

My Asolo TPS 520's now just collect dust.

The 4G's are excellent products.
Yup...been using mine while hiking in the smoky mountains and plan to use them for shooting, training, etc...absolutely love them and the comfort blows my keens out of the water!

One of the features I like best is the lace locks that allow the top half of the boot and the bottom half of the boot to be tighter/looser.

Psybain
02-06-16, 05:05
I havea pair of black gore-tex lined garmont t4's and wore them for a hike through petra in jordan back in late may of 2014 woth no real issues. We were booking it on our hike because we had only a couple hours there, amd they kept my feet noce and comfortable the entire time, even with the death march pace and extremely warm temp.

lawusmc0844
02-06-16, 14:03
I've been wearing the coyote brown Belleville One Xero for the past few months. I've worn them in the rain, through muddy trails, rocky desert right outside of Vegas and they are the lightest, most versatile boot I've ever worn. They are so light and comfortable I can even wear them for running, doing a run and gun in the Vegas desert and a 3 mile run at a high school track without any pain or discomfort. If I did that in my issue Belleville hot weather boots, my feet would be hating me plus I'd be running very slow too.

The boots are very water resistant as well, unlike my issued ones they don't retain water and dry very fast. Even when I step in a deep enough puddle I barely feel any water soaking through. My only complaints are the laces, while 550 like, are not long enough for the way I always tie my boots. Bellevilles run larger too. (My feet measure 10.5W on the Brannock scale but my issue Belleville HW boots are 9W. I ordered the One Xeros in 9.5W which were initially slightly too tight but after break in they fit like a glove but still slightly tighter. I believe 10W would be perfect for me.)

Biged65
02-06-16, 20:24
I wear Bates boots different styles for different seasons. I have narrow feet and these fit well. I wish I had found these years ago.

ralphtt
02-06-16, 20:43
Check out the Russell Safari boots for hot weather use. They are not at all water repellent and are meant for dry conditions but do a good job in hot weather. I have a pair I have used for the past six years and except for heavy dew, have never gotten them wet.

They are still in good shape and I'm looking forward to many more years of use from them. Your mileage may vary, but they should be on your short list. :)

Turnkey11
02-06-16, 21:44
Didn't the Army contract a new jungle boot?

Wake27
02-06-16, 23:57
Didn't the Army contract a new jungle boot?

Not yet, to my knowledge. I saw a lot of guys wearing the Rocky S2V Jungles but I was not a fan, as much as I like my normal ones and wanted to like them. The new Salomon Jungles look interesting. I'll be getting a pair soon hopefully. The red dirt out here will destroy the coloring of anyone's boots so I'm not too worried about the reg.

peruna
02-07-16, 10:01
Salomon just released a new color called Burro in their "Forces" line, which is a darker shade of brown. Comes in non Gore-Tex and heights from mid height to jungle height. The mid height is right at $160 but the taller versions are more.

Search Salomon Forces XA Pro 3D Mid in Burro and you'll find them. I've been wearing the civie version of these for a long time and use them as hikers for 10 miles plus, and really find them to be comfortable, but I do not have a wide foot.

bad aim
02-07-16, 15:30
I love my Merrel Moab Ventilators for some hot-weather beat around boots. If you qualify for their pro discount (ie Promotive), it's a silly price that's too good to pass up.

Turnkey11
02-07-16, 17:32
Not yet, to my knowledge. I saw a lot of guys wearing the Rocky S2V Jungles but I was not a fan, as much as I like my normal ones and wanted to like them. The new Salomon Jungles look interesting. I'll be getting a pair soon hopefully. The red dirt out here will destroy the coloring of anyone's boots so I'm not too worried about the reg.

Im gonna check those salomons out, if they have them on promotive Ill pick up a pair.

Wake27
02-07-16, 22:16
Im gonna check those salomons out, if they have them on promotive Ill pick up a pair.

They didn't last time I checked, which is why I don't have them yet. Looks like none of their new line of forces is not there.

K-Dero
02-17-16, 22:28
Never was a boot guy, always wore tennis shoes...until I came across a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX on sale at a local shop. Liked them so much I picked up a second pair and now they're all I wear.

Turnkey11
05-06-16, 14:58
Got the salomon jungles yesterday, took them on a 7 mile hike this morning through moderate terrain and a few swims to see how they performed on mud, wet rock, etc. The lower required no break-in, I did have some pressure around the speed lace eyelets above the ankle, probably because I havent worn mil type boots in a couple years. The thing that surprised me most was how fast they dried, I walked roughly 10 minutes from the last water hole to my truck, and 20 min drive to my house. All but the forefoot area was completely dry to the touch, socks (old school army wool) were still damp but all the synthetic material on the boot was completely dry. I believe the color is too dark to be AR 670-1 compliant with the new uniforms, but they will be a great warm weather boot for hog hunting this summer. I think with a change of socks I couldve dried these out completely within the hour. I didnt experience any hot spots or discomfort other than around the speedlace eyelets, and they were sized same as my running shoes and Salomon XA Pro 3D GTX trail shoes. Heres a out of the box photo and another on the deck after I got home.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/01/20160506_0917391_zpshgpmoijl.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/01/20160506_1245511_zpsnzjwgicq.jpg

Wake27
05-06-16, 15:21
Got the salomon jungles yesterday, took them on a 7 mile hike this morning through moderate terrain and a few swims to see how they performed on mud, wet rock, etc. The lower required no break-in, I did have some pressure around the speed lace eyelets above the ankle, probably because I havent worn mil type boots in a couple years. The thing that surprised me most was how fast they dried, I walked roughly 10 minutes from the last water hole to my truck, and 20 min drive to my house. All but the forefoot area was completely dry to the touch, socks (old school army wool) were still damp but all the synthetic material on the boot was completely dry. I believe the color is too dark to be AR 670-1 compliant with the new uniforms, but they will be a great warm weather boot for hog hunting this summer. I think with a change of socks I couldve dried these out completely within the hour. I didnt experience any hot spots or discomfort other than around the speedlace eyelets, and they were sized same as my running shoes and Salomon XA Pro 3D GTX trail shoes. Heres a out of the box photo and another on the deck after I got home.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/01/20160506_0917391_zpshgpmoijl.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/01/20160506_1245511_zpsnzjwgicq.jpg

Thanks for the review, I've been wanting to give these a shot out here. Were you carrying any weight?

Turnkey11
05-07-16, 00:21
Sorry, 30lb ruck; didnt have any ankle rolling like I used to have with the old school jungle boots. I also forgot to mention weight and general feel of the boot. These things are light, comparable to my Garmont T8 NFS that they are replacing. No cloggy boot feeling when running, feels like a trail shoe, and they have a forward stance almost like they assist you through a forward step; hard to explain but the Garmonts have the same feel thanks to the angle of the sole at the forefoot. The angle of the sole is definitely more pronounced in the Garmont boot, but they feel the same, like they want to move forward. I wouldve bought another pair of the Garmonts, but they are currently backordered until June and I need them for a 110 mile hump in June. Here are the two boots for comparison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/01/20160507_0016531_zpsaxvxrg5y.jpg

Wake27
05-07-16, 02:33
Sorry, 30lb ruck; didnt have any ankle rolling like I used to have with the old school jungle boots. I also forgot to mention weight and general feel of the boot. These things are light, comparable to my Garmont T8 NFS that they are replacing. No cloggy boot feeling when running, feels like a trail shoe, and they have a forward stance almost like they assist you through a forward step; hard to explain but the Garmonts have the same feel thanks to the angle of the sole at the forefoot. The angle of the sole is definitely more pronounced in the Garmont boot, but they feel the same, like they want to move forward. I wouldve bought another pair of the Garmonts, but they are currently backordered until June and I need them for a 110 mile hump in June. Here are the two boots for comparison.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/01/20160507_0016531_zpsaxvxrg5y.jpg

Awesome, thanks again. I'll definitely be giving these a try.

Primus Pilum
05-12-16, 14:21
After getting my first set of Salomons, they are all I will be buying in the future along with Garmont.

Garmont Zenith Mid GTX for everyday/work wear and Salomons for anything off pavement.

Atleast one of the ranger bats recently moved to the Salomon Quest 2 GTX as their general issue boot as well.

a0cake
05-15-16, 21:52
If you're looking for a hot-weather boot that DOESN'T have Gore-Tex lining, you can't beat the Lowa Zephyr Mid. There's also a Zephyr GTX version that I favor (don't mind being a little warmer for the waterproofing).

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hiking/zephyr-mid?color=Coyote/Olive

Gore-Tex version:

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hiking/zephyr-gtx%C2%AE-mid?color=Beige/Brown

Wake27
05-15-16, 22:09
If you're looking for a hot-weather boot that DOESN'T have Gore-Tex lining, you can't beat the Lowa Zephyr Mid. There's also a Zephyr GTX version that I favor (don't mind being a little warmer for the waterproofing).

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hiking/zephyr-mid?color=Coyote/Olive

Gore-Tex version:

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/hiking/zephyr-gtx%C2%AE-mid?color=Beige/Brown

I loved my Zephyr GTXs. It looks like they've expanded their Zephyr line since I last checked which is awesome, though I'm curious to know how breathable the non-GTX are.

My Salomon Jungles should be delivered tomorrow. I don't think I'll try to pull them off in uniform, but I'll get out and do some hiking and rucking in them to see how they do for me.

ETA - ok so the Jungles don't fit me the same as my other shoes (XA Pros IIRC). They're about a half size too big which is a bummer, but my feet are all over the places with sizing for boots.

Turnkey11
05-20-16, 05:30
Should go hit olomana by Kailua, one of my favorite hikes on island. Two things I miss most about Hawaii, hiking and food.

Wake27
05-20-16, 09:59
Should go hit olomana by Kailua, one of my favorite hikes on island. Two things I miss most about Hawaii, hiking and food.

That's three peaks isn't it? I'm not sure if I'm doing that one. We did whatever Moanalua Ridge up to stairway to heaven and then took the stairs down which was awesome, but fairly sketchy. A couple of my friends that did that hike did two of the three peaks and said it was a little crazy. I said Maunawili Falls because even though it's shorts, it's a great test for jungle boots. I remember crossing water at least twice and it's muddy as hell.

Turnkey11
05-20-16, 14:07
Waimano falls and Waimano ridgeline are two good trails in the back of Pearl City, the falls is a short hump (2-3 miles) but you go down into the gulch which is pretty steep and muddy and the ridgeline is about 12 miles.