PDA

View Full Version : lubercating the AR-15

John Wist
07-20-08, 10:31
I just got my Stag Arms AR-15 left handed rifle and wanted to know what you would recomend for it. It seems there are a 101 different products out there all claming to be the best.
Thanks

Failure2Stop
07-20-08, 10:58
The responses will likely be the same as every time this topic comes up. There are few unbiased individuals with enough experience to give you any information beyond the obligatory "I use XXXX and it's the best ever." response.

Here is what I have used
Break-Free CLP- the base-line do-all. It's ok, but that's about it.
Slip 2000- pretty good, longer performance than Break-Free.
Slip EWL- a little better than the 2000.
Vagasil- Not much worse than Break-Free.
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter- about the same a Vagasil, smells like movie popcorn.
SPF 20 Sunscreen- Slighty worse than Vagasil, smells like a burning coconut.
TW-25B- Lasts for a while, attracts a lot of sand (if that is a concern). Smells like coconut as well. Hmmm.
MC2500- Decent, but was not side to side comparison. Does not attract debris like a grease. The applicator (syringe-like) is cool, will definately keep it and refill with other lube.

From my personal use I prefer the Slip, HOWEVER. . .

There are very good reports about Weapon Shield. I haven't used it, but those that have seem to really like it. I am sure someone will drop in extolling it's virtues. This will be the next lube I will try.
Lots of people like plain old motor oil. Mobil 1 seems to have quite a following. You definately can't fault the price. Royal Purple is also used.
Machine Gunner's Lube from LaRue Tactical has a following.
MD Labs XF-7 has a small following as well.
There is also some Nano-Sphere, nano-diamond, micro sphere. . .something. Two guys dropped in here to tell us what a$$holes each other were. Gave out some free samples. Haven't heard much since then.

The thing is that all of these lubricants give pretty similar performance (except the Nano-Lube, which apparently cures ED and will promote world-peace). Just pick one up and use it generously on your gun. When you run out, try something else out if you are so inclined. Much of the lube argument is semantic and capitalizes on miniscule performance advantages, which are usually exaggerated in the "cost" area.

I would say just grab some Weapon Shield and be done with it.

But that's just my opinion.

Dedpoet
07-20-08, 11:27
The best answer I've heard on this topic is, "Whichever lube you have on your shelf is the perfect one."

rifleshooter
07-20-08, 11:41
I have started using Corrosion X it's a high Temp. high pressure Lub. and works wonders on the outside of the ARs finishs.

http://www.corrosionx.com/

Also nothing wrong in also using the Breakfree products they have a big following and I like the Teflon in the CLP.

Robb Jensen
07-20-08, 11:45
Any oil made for guns will work, even some oil made for automobile engines works well.

I've used Militec-1 since about 1987 and used it the most.
Other lubes that I like which work as well or better than Militec-1 are Machinegunners/10-8 lube, Weaponshield, Slip2000 and FP10.
Since I have a large amount of it I've been using Weaponshield and have noticed that it burns off the least in suppressed ARs.

CLP is sort of a jack-of-all-trades master of none.

I use Rem-Oil or Slip2000 cleaner to clean (whichever is handy) and dedicated lubes to lube.

warpigM-4
07-20-08, 11:49
good old CLP will do the job,put into a spray bottle and give it what it needs(like a girl in a wet t-shirt contest LOL )But as F2S said "Much of the lube argument is semantic and capitalizes on miniscule performance advantages, which are usually exaggerated in the "cost" area." Well said!!!!!!so play with a few and flip a coin you will get a fav lube before you know it

Iraqgunz
07-20-08, 12:20
Well I guess that this would be a good time to chime in about the Nanolube sample(s) I received. I used it on some AK's that had very stiff latches. I applied a few drops to the problem areas and it worked damn good. As a matter of fact I first tried CLP which didn't seem to help.

Next test was out on the range with an M249 SAW. Lube was applied to to the rails and main contact points. Ambient temperature was about 99 degrees and was dusty outside. There were no malfunctions of any kind after approx. 1000 rds being expended.

One of our guys was running through an extended shoot course with his issue Bushamster. I had him wipe down all other excess lube and then lube the inside with Nanolube. It was applied to the bolt and carrier and along the upper where the charging handle rides. A few hundred rounds were fired during this course and no malfunctions were observed. There was one malfunction that was attributed to the ammo only.

Final test I took an old (pre-1959) milled receiver AK47 that was a little rough. I cleaned it up and lubed it with Nanolube. The gun ran excellent. As a matter of fact it almost seemed to be cycling faster than normal (though I don't believe this is the case) and experienced no problems. I am probably going to buy a larger size bottle and use it more before I give a 100% endorsement.

scottryan
07-20-08, 12:58
CLP is probably best for a gun that is stored for awhile and used not so much.

It has better rust protection than most other lubricants.

rifleshooter
07-20-08, 13:04
Just install a new bolt cam pin in your bolt use the Lub. you think is good on it. Then shoot around 1000 rounds and then check the wear pattern on the cam pin that contacts the bolt.
This will give you a good idea if your choice of Lub. is good or not so good.;)

Iraqgunz
07-20-08, 13:08
Which will tell you absolutely nothing about whether the weapon will function or not when carbon starts building up. The weapons is going to require a little more lubrication than that.

Just install a new bolt cam pin in your bolt use the Lub. you think is good on it. Then shoot around 1000 rounds and then check the wear pattern on the cam pin that contacts the bolt.
This will give you a good idea if your choice of Lub. is good or not so good.;)

markm
07-20-08, 13:23
Not another lube thread... :p

rifleshooter
07-20-08, 13:23
Which will tell you absolutely nothing about whether the weapon will function or not when carbon starts building up. The weapons is going to require a little more lubrication than that.

Well I gave my thoughts for some type of test.:) Now what do you recommend?

Mad Minute
07-20-08, 13:30
Speaking of CLP does Hoppe's no. 9 perform the exact same function as CLP? is it as good?

eightmillimeter
07-20-08, 17:46
Speaking of CLP does Hoppe's no. 9 perform the exact same function as CLP? is it as good?

Hoppe's #9 is only a powder solvent I wouldn't want to use it as lube. It wouldn't last long and I'd probably pass out from the smell of burning #9.

POF.Ops
07-21-08, 00:54
I have tried a lot of different brands and pretty much use Militec-1 on my guns, knives, mags, etc. What I like the most about it is that it seems to penetrate the metal better than anything else.

watchluvr4ever
07-21-08, 01:29

Are you talking Hoppe's solvent or lube? Of course the solvent would make a very poor lube.

NanoLube
07-21-08, 11:20
Quicken watch lubricant provides extended protection but costs $25 per 1.5ml because it is designed specifically for fine watches. It is designed for high precision mechanical devices like Rolex, Patak Philippe and Cartier watches.

Unlike normal watch lube, we suggest treating all gear teeth in the train with an extremely light application to each wheel. This removes friction from the train, increases amplitude and greatly extends the life of all treated parts.

Do not treat the pallet fork jewels, as the 5wt oil may loosen the shellac.

Do treat the mainspring barrel, winding/setting gears and all jewels and pivots.

Once treated, the watch will run until something breaks - but it will not fail from pivot or gear tooth wear.

Quicken watch nanolubricant will soon be sold exclusively through a major jewelry supply house.

www.diamondlube.com

Are you talking Hoppe's solvent or lube? Of course the solvent would make a very poor lube.

Heavy Metal
07-21-08, 15:53

If you look at the MSDS of Hoppes 9 Oil (not solvent), it is straight 100
% mineral oil. Far from ideal for an AR.

halfmoonclip
07-21-08, 21:54
I've reverted to LSA and 5w-40 Amsoil.
I try not to ingest either one, especially the LSA. ;)
Moon

NanoLube
07-22-08, 00:33
Just in case anyone will attend the Grand, NanoLube will be available through someone that writes for gun magazines, and has tested it in shotguns with "as advertised" results.

\\\ ///

RogerinTPA
07-22-08, 17:03
Militec-1 for handguns and my ARs (under 500 rounds). Slip EWL in the ARs if over 500 rounds.

NanoLube
09-27-08, 12:53
A writer for Hooters tried NanoLube and it freed a stuck trigger in 5 seconds - and fixed many other problems that could not be resolved with normal "oils". He also passed on my revolutionary "Joint Lube" to someone with severe arthritis and within 4 minutes - 20 years of constant pain vanished. He saw the power of nanotechnology first hand, and Hooters readers across the globe will too.

New Navy testing is underway, and since NanoLube TM always works as advertised, it will not be long before military replaces the current military lubricants with a product that will NOT fail under fire.

Chris Arnold (Owner/President/Inventor)
NanoLube, Inc.
9 N Main Street
Lombard, IL 60148
630-706-1250
www.diamondlube.com

Well I guess that this would be a good time to chime in about the Nanolube sample(s) I received. I used it on some AK's that had very stiff latches. I applied a few drops to the problem areas and it worked damn good. As a matter of fact I first tried CLP which didn't seem to help.

Next test was out on the range with an M249 SAW. Lube was applied to to the rails and main contact points. Ambient temperature was about 99 degrees and was dusty outside. There were no malfunctions of any kind after approx. 1000 rds being expended.

One of our guys was running through an extended shoot course with his issue Bushamster. I had him wipe down all other excess lube and then lube the inside with Nanolube. It was applied to the bolt and carrier and along the upper where the charging handle rides. A few hundred rounds were fired during this course and no malfunctions were observed. There was one malfunction that was attributed to the ammo only.

Final test I took an old (pre-1959) milled receiver AK47 that was a little rough. I cleaned it up and lubed it with Nanolube. The gun ran excellent. As a matter of fact it almost seemed to be cycling faster than normal (though I don't believe this is the case) and experienced no problems. I am probably going to buy a larger size bottle and use it more before I give a 100% endorsement.

Zirk208
09-27-08, 19:31
Now see here Sonny!!

My super duper wonder luber is the best there ever is. A proprietary synthetic blend of blend of 100% natural ingredients. It is guuuuaaaarrrranteeed to keep your rifle runnin' for a minimum of 5,000 rounds. Bury your rifle in 10 feet of the finest Iragi sand and it will have you shooting 1" groups at 500 yards. Cleans up easily with soap and water, yet provides protection for over 50,000 hours in salt spray tests. All thanks to my revolutionary lube. It's even been peer reviewed in the finest literary magazines on the market today!!
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj61/zirkdog/snake_oil.jpg

Nine out of ten astronauts swear by it.

In all reality, try a few out and find what works for you. Lube it and lube it often. Personally, I use a mix of BF LP (minus the C) and Mobil 1 5w30.

Paul45
09-27-08, 19:41
I am not a lubercation expert but I have been shooting, cleaning and lubing guns for over 40 years. "Whatever you have on your shelf!" will cover most needs for normal shooters. I shoot about 10 x more handgun ammo than 5.56 per year (30000 vs 3000). I use Mobil 1 & CLP along with some light grease(TETRA) for most applications. I use REMOIL for light spray/cleaning.
Most quality lubes will work OK. I have used others but the way and frequency that I clean my weapons, what I use works and the cost is OK. Look at your application and cleaning process. If you are not running thousand of rounds between cleanings, which I usually don't, then use Mobil 1. I use what is left in the bottles after an oil change. I use it in all 4 of my vehicles and on my firearms (no cost to the gun budget).
Results may vary and opinions will definitely vary. Do some experiments and make your choice based on you shooting needs and the results you get.

jhs1969
09-27-08, 21:00
I use Militec grease and oil on my handguns and Mobil 1 on my AR's. After trying many lubes over the years I have been more than pleased with these. I started a thread a while back (AR technical forum) that had a lot of good responses to it. I did some research on Mobil 1 and was satifisied with with what I found (not that I understood all of it:D)

Blankwaffe
09-27-08, 21:51
New Navy testing is underway, and since NanoLube TM always works as advertised, it will not be long before military replaces the current military lubricants with a product that will NOT fail under fire.

Chris Arnold (Owner/President/Inventor)
NanoLube, Inc.
9 N Main Street
Lombard, IL 60148
630-706-1250
www.diamondlube.com

Now Im not trying to poke fun at you or your product and I wish you well.If nanolube is the best Im happy you have done what you have.

But Ive heard that exact same line from the multitude of gun oil marketers/manufacturers for the last 10+ years or more.Kinda starting to get sick of hearing it,and honestly I feel like its been abused and very misleading to consumers in most cases.So......
What I think should be followed in the weapons lubrication industry is....if you meet the mil-spec and have been approved for use as a weapons specific lubricant then advertise it as such.Also state what weapons were/are to be approved for use of such product.If this is the case provide documentation of the approval.If your in the testing process and not approved then it has absolutely no bearing other than to be misleading and suck folks into spending thier money with claims and advertising.
I just hope you dont start claiming its saves lives next.
IMHO claims are claims and it seems everyone out there with a gun oil has a better lube than what the military chose to use over the past 30+ plus years.
Fact of the matter is that sure some of the new lubes are somewhat better at lubricating....where they all seem to fall short is in the long term such as protecting firearms,overall function including temp extremes,fouling attachment/removal and most other areas of concern.Some even cause damage from chemical reaction or abrasive wear characteristics.Certainly not balanced formulas as given uder the mil-spec guidelines.
None of the so called better lubricants so far have met the specification nor approved for use under the mil-spec no matter what the claims and advertisements have been.

Now I have read several threads and posts over the past few months on several of the gun forums,including this one, in regards to your product where nothing was provided other than a sales line...or ended in personal attacks and the like.
In that regard I have restained myself from posting in them as well.

But since you brought up that there is new Navy testing and soon to replace the mil-spec lubricants I have to ask.......
Are you saying that nanolube is currently being tested by the Navy and is going to boot all the other lubricants?
What are the specs and approvals you are shooting for if so?
Are you saying that nanolube is going to replace CLP?
Who is testing your product...NSWC?
So does nanolube meet the 100+ hour salt fog requirement?
What about the 900+ hour humidity cabinet requirement?
How about the low temp requirement?
And also materials compatibility?
Effects on electronic triggers,primers and fuses etc?
Chemical paper?
Hows about firing residue removal?
Whats the specs on load wear per ASTM on your product?
And if I remember correctly the specification also now states that no solid particle additives are allowed in the CLP.
Are the nano diamonds solid particles?
Does the nanolube need to shaken before use?
How long does the nano diamonds stay in suspension before they fall out?

If your talking about a NSN being assigned as a general purpose lube that ain't the same as being on the QPL for weapons specific use,much less one that will replace the the lubricants that are on the QPL..
Flame away,but beating around the bush that your product is going to replace an approved and well tested mil-spec product line is a bold comment.And like I said,its been used many times before by other manufacturers.

Blankwaffe
09-27-08, 22:17
The responses will likely be the same as every time this topic comes up. There are few unbiased individuals with enough experience to give you any information beyond the obligatory "I use XXXX and it's the best ever." response.

Here is what I have used
Break-Free CLP- the base-line do-all. It's ok, but that's about it.
Slip 2000- pretty good, longer performance than Break-Free.
Slip EWL- a little better than the 2000.
Vagasil- Not much worse than Break-Free.
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter- about the same a Vagasil, smells like movie popcorn.
SPF 20 Sunscreen- Slighty worse than Vagasil, smells like a burning coconut.
TW-25B- Lasts for a while, attracts a lot of sand (if that is a concern). Smells like coconut as well. Hmmm.
MC2500- Decent, but was not side to side comparison. Does not attract debris like a grease. The applicator (syringe-like) is cool, will definately keep it and refill with other lube.

From my personal use I prefer the Slip, HOWEVER. . .

There are very good reports about Weapon Shield. I haven't used it, but those that have seem to really like it. I am sure someone will drop in extolling it's virtues. This will be the next lube I will try.
Lots of people like plain old motor oil. Mobil 1 seems to have quite a following. You definately can't fault the price. Royal Purple is also used.
Machine Gunner's Lube from LaRue Tactical has a following.
MD Labs XF-7 has a small following as well.
There is also some Nano-Sphere, nano-diamond, micro sphere. . .something. Two guys dropped in here to tell us what a$$holes each other were. Gave out some free samples. Haven't heard much since then.

The thing is that all of these lubricants give pretty similar performance (except the Nano-Lube, which apparently cures ED and will promote world-peace). Just pick one up and use it generously on your gun. When you run out, try something else out if you are so inclined. Much of the lube argument is semantic and capitalizes on miniscule performance advantages, which are usually exaggerated in the "cost" area.

I would say just grab some Weapon Shield and be done with it.

But that's just my opinion.

+1
Pretty much says it all.
For a CLP I would use the Break Free or Weapon Shield.The Weapon Shield seems to stay put longer and remains rather slick so thats what Im using right now.
The Mil-comm TW25B is my prefered pistol lube due to the fact it stays put for long periods of time and is a very good lube.
I have also had good results with Break Free LP.
As mentioned above...just pick a lube that floats your boat and use it.

Jay Cunningham
09-27-08, 23:00
WeaponShield is outstanding.

Ballistol is something that I never thought would work well in a hi-temperature application like an AR, but I have found out that it actually works really well.

No.6
09-27-08, 23:36
OK, I bit on the nanolube, but I'm trying the stuff made for fishing gear first and see how it works for that purpose. Then, maybe....

66H8A
09-27-08, 23:48
My 2 cents.... High Temperature rated Grease (anything from fancy "weapons grade" to Wal-Mart wheel bearing type, all the same IMO). Stays put, will not run out of the pin holes, (thats where most oil ends up). Light film on high friction parts, push pins. CLP type oil to the rest. Wheel Bearing Grease is rated to around 700 degrees, life time supply around 5 bucks.

Blankwaffe
09-28-08, 01:25
WeaponShield is outstanding.

Ballistol is something that I never thought would work well in a hi-temperature application like an AR, but I have found out that it actually works really well.

Hey Katar,
Thats interesting about the Ballistol.

Did it not flash off and smoke badly when the weapon got hot during firing?

Where you using the Ballistol liquid or the aerosol?

I tried the Ballistol liquid a couple times on the AR's and it smoked pretty bad.Maybe I did not allow the alcohol content to vapor off long enough before use.
I had applied the Ballistol to the weapons as a relube after some extended use(dry and very funky weapons) since thats all I had in the range bag.So it was applied and immediately put to work.Otherwise it worked perfectly.
Since you had good luck with the Ballistol on the AR,I may have to to try it again as I freakin love the stuff.
I use alot of the Ballistol on the mil-surps and BP guns.Ive been using the Ballistol for a little over ten years for that application and have to say it absolutely rocks as a CLP for anything that see's corrosive ammo.

lanceriley
09-28-08, 10:10
I just use valvoline synthetic oil 20-50w

I use to lube it with mineral engine oils. but found out that when our firearms heat up it will destroy the oil. compound breaks down making it ineffective.

so now I use synthetic oil as high heat doesn't affect it as much as mineral oil

taarobaap
09-28-08, 10:13
If you look at the MSDS of Hoppes 9 Oil (not solvent), it is straight 100
% mineral oil. Far from ideal for an AR.

Could you explain a little more please...I use the Hoppes lube, and it seems to work well for me...I was wondering why more people were not mentioning it...TIA

NanoLube
09-28-08, 15:41
NanoLube TM is not for cheap, or amateur shooters that slop motor oil into their guns. NanoLube TM is used by BullsEye, IPSIC and other professional marksmen who require the best performance money can buy. BTW, the armoror in Iraq also said it produced results where CLP did nothing, so why use it.
www.diamondlube.com

NanoLube is not Normal Lubricant - it Lubricates using synthetic NanoDiamond and keeps friction surfaces from sticking. FPS rises after barrel treatment, and accuracy increases because lead, copper and carbon no longer stick to the barrel. NanoLube TM was one of the hottest threads on this forum and just as glowing reports were coming in from the +60 people that received free samples, the thread was closed

Also written up in the Chicago Tribune, Gun Digest the magazine and tactical Gear because it is superior to oil, or any other chemical lube on the market.

NanoLube TM was compared to high grade oil in a knife life wear test - and NanoLube TM survived over 10 times longer than oil - and NanoLube TM never failed, instead the test machine was stopped because the knife company was tired of seeing it running without wear.

Now Im not trying to poke fun at you or your product and I wish you well.If nanolube is the best Im happy you have done what you have.

But Ive heard that exact same line from the multitude of gun oil marketers/manufacturers for the last 10+ years or more.Kinda starting to get sick of hearing it,and honestly I feel like its been abused and very misleading to consumers in most cases.So......
What I think should be followed in the weapons lubrication industry is....if you meet the mil-spec and have been approved for use as a weapons specific lubricant then advertise it as such.Also state what weapons were/are to be approved for use of such product.If this is the case provide documentation of the approval.If your in the testing process and not approved then it has absolutely no bearing other than to be misleading and suck folks into spending thier money with claims and advertising.
IMHO claims are claims and it seems everyone out there with a gun oil has a better lube than what the military chose to use over the past 30+ plus years.
Fact of the matter is that sure some of the new lubes are somewhat better at lubricating....where they all seem to fall short is in the long term such as protecting firearms,overall function including temp extremes,fouling attachment/removal and most other areas of concern.Some even cause damage from chemical reaction or abrasive wear characteristics.Certainly not balanced formulas as given uder the mil-spec guidelines.
None of the so called better lubricants so far have met the specification nor approved for use under the mil-spec no matter what the claims and advertisements have been.

Now I have read several threads and posts over the past few months on several of the gun forums,including this one, in regards to your product where nothing was provided other than a sales line...or ended in personal attacks and the like.

But since you brought up that there is new Navy testing and soon to replace the mil-spec lubricants I have to ask.......
Are you saying that nanolube is currently being tested by the Navy and is going to boot all the other lubricants?
Chemical paper?
And if I remember correctly the specification also now states that no solid particle additives are allowed in the CLP.

If your talking about a NSN being assigned as a general purpose lube that ain't the same as being on the QPL for weapons specific use,much less one that will replace the the lubricants that are on the QPL..
Flame away,but beating around the bush that your product is going to replace an approved and well tested mil-spec product line is a bold comment.And like I said,its been used many times before by other manufacturers.

NanoLube
09-28-08, 16:05
I will send out more (the last) free sample to Blankwaffe if he wants to see the magic for himself.
1: The spherical "particles" are 1/80,000th the diameter of a human hair
2: They do not precipitate from the carrier oil because they are attached
3: Friction rips the nanoparticles off of the carrier oil and they embed
4: Muzzle flash will not burn them out of the barrel
5: They keep working even after the oil is gone
6: All treated surfaces are easy to clean, because they are nanodiamond coated
7: NanoLube TM is not a chemical lubricant - like ALL other lubes
8: NanoLube TM cannot breakdown like normal chemicals (like Moly)
9: People that attack my Invention are against a new product that will simply - PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS, which is where they belong for selling garbage chemical products that breakdown.

ASTM 4 ball wear and block and ring testing by Falex have proven NanoLube TM prevent wear, stops scoring and can both increase friction in high pressure applications or lower it under lower pressure - which cannot be done by chemical lubes. This is why full autos cycle faster, and blowback & muzzle velocity increase after treatment.

Chemical paper?

NanoLube
09-28-08, 16:15
The particles in NanoLube TM have survived sustained +2000 deg. F temps for over one hour. Muzzle flash has no effect on the nanoparticles.

NanoLube is a grease replacement and once worked into the friction surfaces - the oil can be removed whereby SAND and DIRT have nothing the STICK to. Only a true MORON would question the value of this.

My 2 cents.... High Temperature rated Grease (anything from fancy "weapons grade" to Wal-Mart wheel bearing type, all the same IMO). Stays put, will not run out of the pin holes, (thats where most oil ends up). Light film on high friction parts, push pins. CLP type oil to the rest. Wheel Bearing Grease is rated to around 700 degrees, life time supply around 5 bucks.

MBRMan
09-28-08, 16:29
Only a true MORON would question the value of this.

Wow...you're not gonna win anybody over that way, Einstein.

MBR

VA_Dinger
09-28-08, 16:38
The particles in NanoLube TM have survived sustained +2000 deg. F temps for over one hour. Muzzle flash has no effect on the nanoparticles.

NanoLube is a grease replacement and once worked into the friction surfaces - the oil can be removed whereby SAND and DIRT have nothing the STICK to. Only a true MORON would question the value of this.

OK, please consider this your last warning.

Every member of M4C is expected to handle themselves in a professional, polite, and respectful manner at all times. If you cannot handle this, you will be shown the door.

MarshallDodge
09-28-08, 16:42
I like WeaponShield but I would try Nanolube if someone wants to send me some. :)

Zirk208
09-28-08, 17:55
...But since you brought up that there is new Navy testing and soon to replace the mil-spec lubricants I have to ask.......
Chemical paper?
How long does the nano diamonds stay in suspension before they fall out?...

Names have been called and tempers have flared, but the questions posed by Blankewaffe have not been answered. The only statements made have been full of catch phrase lingo. For such a revolutionary product I would like to know more about the real nuts and bolts facts. Simply saying it's the best doesn't pack much weight to amatuer shooters.

66H8A
09-28-08, 18:26

Wow...... good luck with your endeavors.

As in true moron fashion... I'll stick to my AutoZone high temp waterproof grease at $2 a pound.

lanceriley
09-28-08, 19:21
I've been using engine oil for the last 4 years. in ipsc. no problem even in tight pistols. for him to bash people like us. he's not getting any sales.

wichaka
09-28-08, 20:05
When shooting a lot, hard to beat Mobil 1 30w. Problem is, if you regularly lube your gun with it, and store it muzzle up, it all runs down into the extension tube.

I use a mixture of LaRues Machine gunner lube and Wilsons Ultima-Lube, for normal shooting. Then add the Mobil 1 when shooting hundreds of rounds at a session...........like a rifle class etc.

flyboy1788
09-28-08, 22:28
No offense to the NanoLube guy, but the fancy catchphrases he uses remind me of the countersniper propaganda. They use words like bertrillium-zantitium, milliradian, and best of all their riflescopes are sealed with "rare earth gasses". Also, they are "Impact resistance to more than 5000 times the force of gravity" according to the website. Anyways, I am getting off topic, but you guys get the idea http://www.countersniperoptics.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/about.html&setup=1&cart_id=4806518.4252
http://www.countersniperoptics.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=56&idp=0&his=0&cart_id=4806518.4252

halfmoonclip
09-28-08, 22:35
From the fine print of the NanoLube container...
"Heals the sick
Raise the dead
Makes the little girls
Go out out of their head..."
:D
Seriously, overstating the value of a product makes us all more than a little skeptical.
Moon

ToddG
09-28-08, 23:06

Mr. Arnold,

Please substantiate this claim with some specific information. If you're not comfortable doing so in public, feel free to send me a PM. I'll have no problem contacting people at NSWC. I'm extremely interested in finding out where this testing stands and what USN is doing to test it.

lanceriley
09-28-08, 23:36
I use 20w-50w valvoline synthetic oil. If it runs to the buffertube you might have put more than enough

SWATcop556
09-29-08, 14:46
I've been using the10-8 Lube for about a year now and I've had great results with it.

It seems to aid with carbon build-up and seems to clean up easier as well.

Just my .02

Copis
09-29-08, 16:29

Uber Luber

Blankwaffe
09-30-08, 02:09
I will send out more (the last) free sample to Blankwaffe if he wants to see the magic for himself.
9: People that attack my Invention are against a new product that will simply - PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS, which is where they belong for selling garbage chemical products that breakdown.

ASTM 4 ball wear and block and ring testing by Falex have proven NanoLube TM prevent wear, stops scoring and can both increase friction in high pressure applications or lower it under lower pressure - which cannot be done by chemical lubes. This is why full autos cycle faster, and blowback & muzzle velocity increase after treatment.

I appreciate the sample offer,but I will have to decline.

Avenger11
09-30-08, 02:34
I recently received a large quantity of TW25B and some OTIS products from a very generous donor and troop supporter. I will be using them on my issue M-4 and M-9 in Iraq. If I have any opinions on performance, I will post them here.

So far, I like the TW25B over the CLP in the "feel" of the action after extended use.

As for the military replacing lubes; currently the only "authorized" lubes according to the TMs are CLP, LSA and LAW. The military has assigned NSNs to other products, i.e., Militec-1, TW25B and OTIS to name a few. This implies condoning the use of these other products but does not imply official replacement or intent to replace.

flyer
09-30-08, 11:49
I love the Slip 2000 EWL for my AR and other evil rifles. I use the regular Slip 2000 for the rest. It works well and I like the fact that it has no petroleum distillates or other toxic ingredients.

grinch
10-01-08, 01:54
So if the lube is being tested by the Navy what are they testing it for?? The Navy is a big organization and has MANY thing that require lube are they testing it as a weapons lube?? If so I deal with a lot of weapons testing and I've yet to hear about it if NSWC is testing it please give us the info we will look into it. Also the military has already found things that are better lubricants for weapons but they have not found anything the does all three things as well as CLP (cleans, lubricate and protects). So if the wonder lube you have does not clean and more importantly protect it may not make the cut even if it is better as just a lube.

Fringe
10-01-08, 14:47
I love the Slip 2000 EWL for my AR and other evil rifles. I use the regular Slip 2000 for the rest. It works well and I like the fact that it has no petroleum distillates or other toxic ingredients.

Yes. I like it for this reason as well. It works great when combined with TW25B and Gun Butter Grease.

Zirk208
10-01-08, 15:16
I was hoping this thread would kinda just go away, but it gets a new post every day or so. The Nanolube dude is kinda out there. Try a google search on him. He is all wrapped up in lawsuits between himself and someone who he claims stole his secret formula. He always gives long winded drawn out responses and relys solely on "testimonials" from people who have been there and done that. I found a 12 page thread on a flashlight forum (yes they have those too) where he and his competitior bash it out and both refuse to provide any patent info or MSDS info. Don't be like me and waste an hour at three in the morning readng it.
http://flashlightnews.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=77933cd58d069cac0e42110df4206251&topic=705.0

Both of these guys are all over the message boards and both tend to follow the procedures outlined here. Anytime a lube thread starts, they jusy happen to pop in.

http://www.militec1.com/articles/snake_oil.html

If you ever doubt them the name calling ensues.

Quality lubes will stand the test of time and won't rely on message board hype to survive.

czydj
10-01-08, 19:36
nanolube dude and fry daddio http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=57088& have definitely got to get together...

CAPT KIRK
10-02-08, 18:24
I have always used CLP...(old school military), but decided to give Larue's "Machine Gunnners Lube" a try. Anyone out there with some significant experience and feedback on this stuff? Also thinking of trying out the Slip2000EWL also.

Robb Jensen
10-02-08, 19:40
I have always used CLP...(old school military), but decided to give Larue's "Machine Gunnners Lube" a try. Anyone out there with some significant experience and feedback on this stuff? Also thinking of trying out the Slip2000EWL also.

It's very nice a tiny better than Militec for me. I like it better than regular Slip2000 lube, I haven't used the EWL much. My favorite is WeaponShield.

dp509
10-03-08, 04:14
I ahve used it all. From remoil to clp and others. What ever you can get a good deal on.
:)

The Archangel
10-03-08, 09:03
Dude, just go to Walmart, get a $4.88 Quart of Mobil 1 Synthetic (thicker the better), apply it genrously on your BCG and try that. If you don't like it, or it doesn't work for you for some unforseen reason, then go out and order some of that $10 / ounce super lube used by the Specialist of the Special Operations Tier 1A+ Super Ninja "Operators."

lanceriley
10-03-08, 13:19
or you can skimp some more and wait for the left overs of your next oil change

wichaka
10-03-08, 15:42
For extended use during long firing sessions, even the Colt people recommend Mobil 1.

ksa464
10-03-08, 17:09
Dude, just go to Walmart, get a $4.88 Quart of Mobil 1 Synthetic (thicker the better), apply it genrously on your BCG and try that. If you don't like it, or it doesn't work for you for some unforseen reason, then go out and order some of that $10 / ounce super lube used by the Specialist of the Special Operations Tier 1A+ Super Ninja "Operators."

Yup, thats what I use. 20w50 Mobile 1. Super good and ounce for ounce, cheap.

lanceriley
10-03-08, 23:16
how many rounds is a long firing session?

wichaka
10-04-08, 01:18
Depends on the person.........300-500 rounds.........some go to 700+

A few squirts in the holes to lube the bolt, and the carrier rails.........and it'll keep going.

lanceriley
10-04-08, 04:57
ah I have a rifle match tom. probably less than 150 rounds.

45r
10-04-08, 05:17

Another Lubrication Company recently did a promotion on their product. The owner sent out 1oz samples to anyone who requested it. Just like most gun owners, I have a collection of various things I've tried. How about sending us all some samples so that we can see for ourselves.

45r
10-04-08, 05:20
PS. Is there a place that I can read your MSDS on your product?

lanceriley
10-04-08, 07:57
he can send me a sample to my home. right here in the Philippines

nsabjg
10-04-08, 09:35
I have used Break Free CLP for years and have never had a problem.
Yes I have been in sub zero to over 120. We mixed Militec from time to time with the CLP. Have never dropped or sprayed with lube just what was leftover frop the Qtip or patch, never a problem. Break in the rifle if you have a new one.(shoot the snot out of it)(birth by fire).
I'm sure that there are alot of good lubes out there.

C4IGrant
10-04-08, 12:34
I have used Break Free CLP for years and have never had a problem.
Yes I have been in sub zero to over 120. We mixed Militec from time to time with the CLP. Have never dropped or sprayed with lube just what was leftover frop the Qtip or patch, never a problem. Break in the rifle if you have a new one.(shoot the snot out of it)(birth by fire).
I'm sure that there are alot of good lubes out there.

CLP really is not a pure lube. This makes it a lessor choice than a lot of other lubes.

C4

chadbag
10-04-08, 23:20
CLP really is not a pure lube. This makes it a lessor choice than a lot of other lubes.

C4

Most of the 3rd party CLP types work better than BF in my experience.

And what Grant says is also true.

Blankwaffe
10-05-08, 00:57
I agree that Break Free CLP is not the best and longest lasting lube available....but it will certainly get the job done in most all cases.In my experience it just requires a more frequent application during extended firing.I'd also advise to completely avoid the aerosol CLP.
Personally if I was using Break Free products for heavy use I'd take a look at the Break Free LP.Ive found it stays on the parts better without flashing off from heat or migrating when in storage.Seems to be a verygood lube too.
That being said my favorite CLP is Weapon Shield and I would highly recommend it.I personally think the Weapon Shield is the very best CLP on the market.
For a lubricant protectant I dont think a person could do any better than the Mil-comm product line.I especially like the TW25B.
To clean bores and heavily fouled areas like the bolt tail I prefer to use plain old Hoppe's No.9 Nitro solvent.

bankerrkt
10-05-08, 19:22
I've recently tried a new lubricant (or at least it's new to me) called Gun Butter. The bottle it comes in has a needle type applicator and it stays put.