PDA

View Full Version : Noveske 11.5 SS Barrel Problems?

CQB
09-29-06, 17:01
I have a close friend that took his brand new 11.5 Noveske gun to a combat course last month. After the first 300+ rounds with intermittent breaks the rifle started to keyhole. Subsequently there after the barrel would keyhole rounds after getting mildly hot even the following day. We are trying to determine if this is an isolated problem with what seems to be just a bad barrel. FOR THE RECORD: He has other Noveske products that have worked fine throughout training. But in that session he had to rely on a colt back-up upper.
Thanks, C

Submariner
09-29-06, 19:26
But in that session he had to rely on a colt back-up upper.

Well, at least he had a Colt.:cool:

C4IGrant
09-29-06, 19:33
I have a close friend that took his brand new 11.5 Noveske gun to a combat course last month. After the first 300+ rounds with intermittent breaks the rifle started to keyhole. Subsequently there after the barrel would keyhole rounds after getting mildly hot even the following day. We are trying to determine if this is an isolated problem with what seems to be just a bad barrel. FOR THE RECORD: He has other Noveske products that have worked fine throughout training. But in that session he had to rely on a colt back-up upper.
Thanks, C

I believe that PacNor sent Noveske some bad steel awhile back so he might want to check with John.

C4

TheDutchman
10-04-06, 06:53
Had a buddy that had the same problem with his Noveske 12.5, key holed after 3500 rounds.

Robb Jensen
10-04-06, 07:40
Remove the flash suppressor and make sure that there's not a ton of carbon built up between the flash suppressor and barrel. I've seen carbon built up there so bad that bullets were impacting it and keyholing at 25yds. After cleaning it group returned to normal and no more keyholing.

SHIVAN
10-04-06, 08:57
Has John Noveske been contacted at all, prior to posting here?

If not, why not? :confused:

CQB
10-05-06, 23:44
Has John Noveske been contacted at all, prior to posting here?

If not, why not? :confused:

John is aware and has been very responsive. Wondering who else is all.
Thanks,

CQB
10-13-06, 16:47
John Noveske didn't replace the barrel. He just offered to give him a discount off a new one.
PS.
The Pac blanks were only 8 units. This was not one of them. Moral of the whole story: make sure you dont buy John's 416steel he has upgraded to a harder steel now.
;)

M4Guru
10-14-06, 15:43
Yeah, and that new steel is $600 extra per barrel. Noveske barrels are good to go as is.

Nitrox
10-14-06, 22:07
How could PacNor send Noveske bad steel if Noveske is shipping them the steel to be turned into blanks? Or am I misunderstanding and Grant is implying PacNor cut the blanks incorrectly?

How come Noveske isn't replacing the barrel free of charge?

TacDoc
10-15-06, 06:42
Sorry for the newbe question but what exactly is to keyhole? Keyhole a round? :confused:

AmmoUp
10-15-06, 08:31
Sorry for the newbe question but what exactly is to keyhole? Keyhole a round? :confused:

Brother

A keyhole is when the bullet starts to yaw in flight and stikes the target with the side of the bullet instead on with the point or tip.

TacDoc
10-15-06, 09:45
Brother

A keyhole is when the bullet starts to yaw in flight and stikes the target with the side of the bullet instead on with the point or tip.

Thanks AmmoUp! Now I got it: keyhole as where you put the key to open the lock... I feel dumb :rolleyes:

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 10:43
How could PacNor send Noveske bad steel if Noveske is shipping them the steel to be turned into blanks? Or am I misunderstanding and Grant is implying PacNor cut the blanks incorrectly?

How come Noveske isn't replacing the barrel free of charge?

Noveske still buys steel from PACNOR, but also buys steel from other sources as well. So it is 100% possible that PACNOR sent Noveske some bad steel.

To know why Noveske did not replace the barrel, you would have had to been on in the conversation between the owner of the barrel and John. I am sure that there is more to the story than what we have heard.

C4

Nitrox
10-15-06, 11:19
Noveske still buys steel from PACNOR, but also buys steel from other sources as well. So it is 100% possible that PACNOR sent Noveske some bad steel.
I see. I don't recall if Noveske made the claim himself or if it was WES FROM MSTN.

To know why Noveske did not replace the barrel, you would have had to been on in the conversation between the owner of the barrel and John. I am sure that there is more to the story than what we have heard.

C4

Obviously, that's why I asked.

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 11:30
I see. I don't recall if Noveske made the claim himself or if it was WES FROM MSTN.

Obviously, that's why I asked.

The only way to know for sure is to hear from the buyer and Noveske as to why the barrel was not replaced. Making the assumption that Noveske should have just replaced the barrel is not fair as we don't really know what happened.

C4

Nitrox
10-15-06, 11:42
The only way to know for sure is to hear from the buyer and Noveske as to why the barrel was not replaced.
Grant, once again, this is obvious. There wasn't a reason given for no free replacement which is why I asked.

Making the assumption that Noveske should have just replaced the barrel is not fair as we don't really know what happened.

C4

No one is making any assumptions in this thread.

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 13:17
Grant, once again, this is obvious. There wasn't a reason given for no free replacement which is why I asked.

No one is making any assumptions in this thread.

It kind of came across that way to me. I also think that a lot of stuff just isn't anyones business besides the customer and the company.

C4

Nitrox
10-15-06, 13:58
It kind of came across that way to me. I also think that a lot of stuff just isn't anyones business besides the customer and the company.

C4

If it wasn't anyone's business then it shouldn't have been posted on a public forum.

C4IGrant
10-15-06, 14:05
If it wasn't anyone's business then it shouldn't have been posted on a public forum.

Agree, but I don't have any contral/saw in what people post (nor should I).

C4

CQB
10-24-06, 22:18
Agree, but I don't have any contral/saw in what people post (nor should I).

C4
Look, first off (Update)
1. John has now agreed to replace the barrel.
2. John has stated that this was not from the Pac blanks.

That being said the barrel in question tested with a hardness of only 24 out of a Noveske standard of 32. Now moving forward John has purchased a hardness tester and is no longer relying on an outside firm.

Grant, this forum is for "those in the know". I dont see it as just an advertising block like "AR15.COM". It's good to discuss issues so that we all know. It isn't like we're talking about engine parts here. These are tools for killing and I would want to know.....
:confused:

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 09:34
Look, first off (Update)
1. John has now agreed to replace the barrel.
2. John has stated that this was not from the Pac blanks.

That being said the barrel in question tested with a hardness of only 24 out of a Noveske standard of 32. Now moving forward John has purchased a hardness tester and is no longer relying on an outside firm.

Grant, this forum is for "those in the know". I dont see it as just an advertising block like "AR15.COM". It's good to discuss issues so that we all know. It isn't like we're talking about engine parts here. These are tools for killing and I would want to know.....
:confused:

Roger on the barrel. Glad to see John took care of it.

This forum is interested in first person info (as much as possible). The problem you reported was second hand info and we did not get to hear the manufacturers side of the story. This generally hits a nerve with me (sorry).

C4

VA_Dinger
10-27-06, 21:59
The topic is interesting, but not earth shattering.

Noveske has a proven track record of putting out world-class barrels. One small hick-up will not tarnish that fact. Not to mention John seems to have handled it like a true professional and took care of his customers. It can and does happen to every manufacturer from time to time. All that really matters is how they handle it. Noveske came through with flying colors in my book. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

C4IGrant
10-28-06, 08:44
I spoke to John about this and they are basically the victim of the steel company sending them bad blanks. John will be checking each and every barrel for hardness.

C4

Derek_Connor
10-28-06, 12:08
John will not be checking each and every barrel for hardness.
C4

Did I read this right?

C4IGrant
10-28-06, 13:49
Did I read this right?

LOL, fixed my error.

C4

Derek_Connor
10-28-06, 16:05
LOL, fixed my error.

C4

rog, ok good :p