PDA

View Full Version : who offen do you use your BUIS????

warpigM-4
07-20-08, 12:16
It seems the more I read here that more and more people are loading up on batteries and Eotech,Aimpoints etc.I know that these are good to use but how many of you train with BUIS ?what if your sight goes down, can you jump right back using the old stand by?
do you have or practice and drill where you have a sight malfunction and and able to go to BUIS.will your set up allow you to be able to get right back on target?.

all the pictures i see of the training here most run the Eotech.are we getting to comfortable with add ons to remember what this weapon can do just with BUIS?Your thoughts?To many gadgets out there now? are people getting tactical-crazy?

Iraqgunz
07-20-08, 12:47
warpig,

All of our carbines are equipped with shitty YHM sights and EOTech mod. 552's. After all of the problems we had with the EOTechs I have tried to encourage the guys not rely on them and make sure that their BUIS sights are working properly and zeroed. I wholeheartedly agree that one must manage the basics first before going hi-tech with the sights and gadgets.

Failure2Stop
07-20-08, 12:49
My BUIS is a fixed LMT behind my Aimpoint on my primary to reduce time require to transition in the event of optic failure. I have trained iron sights only considerably.

I primarily work the Aimpoint because it is my primary optic. I reinforce my iron training occasionally, but do it less frequently than I do alternate hand.

I don't think that a rugged, proven RDS and light are tactical gadgetry. There are things that concern me, but in my experience Aimpoints and Surefires do not make the list.

Iraqgunz
07-20-08, 13:01
Failure,

I agree for some of us Surefires and optics aren't gadetry. I thought Warpig was speaking to the Mall Ninjas and others who adorn the colorful gun rags.

My BUIS is a fixed LMT behind my Aimpoint on my primary to reduce time require to transition in the event of optic failure. I have trained iron sights only considerably.

I primarily work the Aimpoint because it is my primary optic. I reinforce my iron training occasionally, but do it less frequently than I do alternate hand.

I don't think that a rugged, proven RDS and light are tactical gadgetry. There are things that concern me, but in my experience Aimpoints and Surefires do not make the list.

rob_s
07-20-08, 13:11
While I agree that iron sight training is important to some degree, let's break this down for a minute and look at it logically (instead of high-and-mighty-self-servingly)...

First of all, assuming a quality red dot sight like an Aimpoint, battery life is measured in YEARS. And that's if left on constantly. Mount the optic, zero it, and don't turn it off. Ever. There's simply no reason to. Change the battery once a year on your birthday just because you can.

Yes, anything electronic, or man made, or whatever, can fail (witness the Eotech). This is why we have the BUIS to begin with. But how many times have you seen a current production quality red-dot sight go down? I cant think of a single time in nearly 4 years of carbine matches that I've seen an Aimpoint fail. Zero. Eotech? Several times. Hakko or whatever other airsoft optic? Repeatedly. But not one single Aimpoint.

But lets say you got one made on Friday afternoon, and it does fail. In the heat of battle and while you're fighting that smelly bearded guy in the man-dress trying to do bad things. If the threat is imminent, the tube of the sight very quickly becomes an indexing point and you simply center the target in the optic and get busy. Try it. At any distance where a person would be a reasonable threat, you'll get acceptable hits. We've had several people hear the "beep" at the start of a stage only to realize that their Eotech has shut off (either by design, or by simple failure) and, ignoring the "wait, I wanna do-over" whiners, they simply soldier on and get their hits. Very rarely have they just completely and totally missed the target, and most have had no problem keeping the hits in that 8" circle.

I do put BUIS on every carbine I own, and I do make a habit of turning off the Aimpoint from time to time to make use of those irons, or detach the ACOG to run the irons for awhile, but frankly I see little to no practical reason to do so.

rob_s
07-20-08, 13:12
warpig,

All of our carbines are equipped with shitty YHM sights and EOTech mod. 552's. After all of the problems we had with the EOTechs I have tried to encourage the guys not rely on them and make sure that their BUIS sights are working properly and zeroed. I wholeheartedly agree that one must manage the basics first before going hi-tech with the sights and gadgets.

That must suck. To have a crappy optic go down only to rely on an equally shitty BUIS. I guess at a certain point you can just throw the gun at them?

Robb Jensen
07-20-08, 13:32
BUISs are much more important if you're running EOTechs ;) I'm just sayin'

Iraqgunz
07-20-08, 13:42
No we just use the "instinctive method of shooting". Though some of us have access to AK's as a back up. :D

That must suck. To have a crappy optic go down only to rely on an equally shitty BUIS. I guess at a certain point you can just throw the gun at them?

The_War_Wagon
07-20-08, 14:35
I sighted mine in - checking mechanical zero first, and then with a few groups, for accuracy. Then I slapped an EOTech on my M4gery and have promptly forgotten about them! :o

Might be useful, to check you irons about every 6 mos. - just for ol' times sake. That's what I plan to do. :D

Bob :cool:

Stickman
07-20-08, 16:39
I know that these are good to use but how many of you train with BUIS ?

Every time I shoot my carbine, I shoot both optic and irons. What about you?

HolyRoller
07-20-08, 20:46
I could be wrong, but I figger I get quite enough AR iron sighting when training for and competing in highpower matches.

My carbine optic is a Short Dot and the battery needs changing about every 6 months. If the dot disappears, the Short Dot is still a riflescope with a black reticle, which might be troublesome in low light but will do nicely most other times. The Short Dot is also just about bombproof and short of someone deliberately busting out some lenses, will be there for me. Ammo is expensive enough that I have to decide what's important, and that is training with the optic that is almost certain to be up and running instead of the BUIS.

warpigM-4
07-20-08, 22:19
Failure,

I agree for some of us Surefires and optics aren't gadetry. I thought Warpig was speaking to the Mall Ninjas and others who adorn the colorful gun rags.
yes talking of the slap it on and run with it types, i know Some out there need and rely on Surefires and other optics.Not bashing it there is a tool for every job.

warpigM-4
07-20-08, 22:23
Every time I shoot my carbine, I shoot both optic and irons. What about you?well I use BUIS mainly used Aimpoint in training with the army.Loved it.at this point i do not own any optics(still havn't finished my build yet and with the BCM uppers coming I will problly get one of those be fore a optic.I just love the BUIS I guess

Stickman
07-21-08, 10:25
Nothing wrong with irons, but like I'm sure you found out, the optic certainly holds its own on the modern battlefield. For precision work, I still find myself liking irons over a non-magnified optic. In shooting department quals, I find I tend to shoot slightly higher scores with irons, but quicker with the optic.

batgeek
07-21-08, 19:13
i use both all the time, at the same time.

direct co-witness thru fixed irons. dot sits right at the tip top of my front sight blade.

A square 10
07-22-08, 20:42
mine is also cowitnessed to my EOTECH its always deployed and is subconciously in use
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/Asquare10/mikesrifles005.jpg