PDA

View Full Version : Army hurting for recruits?

white spaniard
07-20-08, 13:42
I took my neighbors son to talk to a Army recruiter and while I waited for him to take care of his paperwork a recruiter asked me if I interested in joining reserves/ national guard. Are they that in need of recruits?

usaffarmer
07-20-08, 14:32
They are giving moral waivers out like they are candy. Which is great, I tried to go in the guard and was unable to because of my "trick" shoulder. I am unable get a med waiver for it again. But if your a felon, thats not a problem.

white spaniard
07-20-08, 14:47
They are giving moral waivers out like they are candy. Which is great, I tried to go in the guard and was unable to because of my "trick" shoulder. I am unable get a med waiver for it again. But if your a felon, thats not a problem.

I do not have a felony back in 1987 I joined the USMC and half way through basic I messed up my ankle, I told Army recuiter this and he said we could get it waived.

SethB
07-20-08, 15:00
Five years ago I was told that I was medically ineligible for service.

I go before an OCS selection board in two weeks.

Go figure.

cavscout82nd
07-20-08, 18:34
things like this tend to happen in an all volunteer military during war time. the Army and Marine Corps are really hurting for new recruits. interestingly, both branches are meeting their quotas for reenlistments.

Erick Gelhaus
07-20-08, 18:37
interestingly, both branches are meeting their quotas for reenlistments.

... and that is something that is seldom, if ever, reported.

usaffarmer
07-20-08, 18:42
I dislocated my shoulder during high school baseball alot, being a catcher and throwing sidearm will do that. Had surgery and was GTG so i went in the Air Force, to be a PJ hopefull. Having pasted the PAST test before even shipping to basic. And taking it again during basic and passed again. My shoulder dislocated 2 days before we walked and was discharged with an entry level seperation. I now try to get back in 9 years later into the guard and im a no go.

But i guess its funny how life and god have bigger plans for us.

BVickery
07-20-08, 21:39
I dislocated my shoulder during high school baseball alot, being a catcher and throwing sidearm will do that. Had surgery and was GTG so i went in the Air Force, to be a PJ hopefull. Having pasted the PAST test before even shipping to basic. And taking it again during basic and passed again. My shoulder dislocated 2 days before we walked and was discharged with an entry level seperation. I now try to get back in 9 years later into the guard and im a no go.

But i guess its funny how life and god have bigger plans for us.

No kidding. When I was 18 I tried to get into the Navy hard. I went to 10 seperate doctors to try and get a chance of getting 'fixed', to no avail. I am one of the ones who are envious of those who can serve because I wanted to so badly.

warpigM-4
07-20-08, 22:01
I got hurt during training back in 06 stress fracture in my hip ,they signed off on it and i am reclassing to MP now in a few months.:) hell I am 39 and can't wait to get back.(yelp i know i am crazy)

BVickery
07-20-08, 22:21
I got hurt during training back in 06 stress fracture in my hip ,they signed off on it and i am reclassing to MP now in a few months.:) hell I am 39 and can't wait to get back.(yelp i know i am crazy)

Keep safe and thank you for your service. (Along with everyone else in and about to be deployed).

DarrinD
07-21-08, 04:57
My first chance to get into the military ended qucikly when I was getting my congressional letters to go with my application to Annapolis. As a youngster, I figured that since my Dad had designed the radar on a Navy fighter, I was going to be a Navy fighter pilot. However, I didn't even get to submitting my application because I found out that I am color blind enough to warrant an automatic DQ. Oh well, off to law school. . . . yuck!

Several years ago I was recruited by a Major from D.C. to apply with the Army JAG Corp. In the proposed "contract" she suggested I could enlist first (to take advantage of the bonuses and other incentives for enlistees but not available if you go directly to JAG as an officer) serve a year and then enter JAG, where while studying military law I could also apply for Airborne and Air Assualt certification. (another recruiter told me that being an E-O2 would have its advantages as well but I've never been able to confirm that statement, though it makes sense). I was enthusiastic . . . . right up until they said they could not grant me a medical waiver for an upper G.I. condition that is a nuissance, but if I don't have my Tums it's not like I'm going to have a seizure. Oh well, thanks to all of you guys who are deployed, getting ready to be deployed, and especially to all of those who have already served and come home.

RallySoob
07-21-08, 10:48
:confused:

I know how to run a business
And I can make you wanna buy a product
Movers shakers and producers
Me and my friends understand the future
I see the strings that control the systems
I can do anything with no assistance
I can change the nation with a microphone
Alive and on top
My reach is global