PDA

View Full Version : South African 762x51

Iraqgunz
07-20-08, 17:18
Anyone have any experience with the surplus South African 762x51 on the market? AIM surplus has 120 rd. battle packs for 59.95. Thanks.

Spooky130
07-20-08, 17:45
Anyone have any experience with the surplus South African 762x51 on the market? AIM surplus has 120 rd. battle packs for 59.95. Thanks.

I've shot a pretty good amount of it. M-1As, FALs, HK91 - all seemed to like it. Average accuracy out of those and nothing special out of the FN SPR bolt gun. Only real drawback is that it is not reloadable (Berdan primed - two holes). I like the packs and the metal cases it comes in. Too bad it has over doubled in price from when I first started buying it.

Spooky

Dedpoet
07-20-08, 19:35
I bought a few battle packs of it a couple of years ago when it was still $28 per battle pack. I shoot it for plinking ammo in my Savage 12FV .308 and it eats it up just fine with only an occasional heavy bolt lift. It shoots about 2 MOA out to 200 yards, which is the farthest I have shot this ammo. FWIW, this rifle does about .6 MOA with better ammunition.

I also have a good friend who bought cases of this stuff quite a long time ago when it was even cheaper and runs it in his FALs flawlessly on a regular basis. Both of us just toss the brass. You probably wouldn't want to try reloading it.

Gutshot John
07-20-08, 20:11
I stocked up on it when it was cheap.

I've shot thousands of rounds of SA 7.62 through my FAL and I have several cases lying around from when aimsurplus had it at $150/case. It's functioned almost flawlessly, I won't say it's been perfect, but it's as good as anything else on the market.

It's not going to break accuracy records with it, but I can pretty consistently hit ~2-3 moa out of a FAL.

It's my go-to mil-surp.

Iraqgunz
07-21-08, 01:47
Thanks guys. I am just looking for anything that will go BOOM and function reliably at the same time. I tend to stock my ammo with different brands and types in the event that if one starts to have problems I have others on back up. looks like this will work fine.

Robb Jensen
07-21-08, 06:01
The SA 7.62 shoots well out of my Rem 700P but for some reason it hit 3" to the right at 100yds vs. Fed Gold Medal 168gr match but other than that no problems.

Bimmer
08-05-08, 12:15
FWIW, Widener's is selling brand new Lithuanian NATO surplus for less than AIM is selling this 25 year old South African. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about both, so I ordered the Lithuanian (and Widener's had the best price on Lake City 5.56 that I could find, too).

Ben

MassMark
08-05-08, 14:43
I wish I had stocked up deeper on South African when it was cheap. It was, (is) good functional ammo. Never a hiccup out of my SOCOM-16 and it seemed to suit hitting center mass at a variety of ranges just fine and dandy. It's too bad the UN convinced South Africa to destroy their remaining stockpile, (millions and millions of rounds) - it was just what the doctor ordered for cheap, reliable ammo. I understand the Lithuanian is good to go as well. I have been shooting a lot of Privi lately and it goes boom nicely and seems accurate.

flanntastic
08-06-08, 10:08
FWIW, Widener's is selling brand new Lithuanian NATO surplus for less than AIM is selling this 25 year old South African. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about both, so I ordered the Lithuanian (and Widener's had the best price on Lake City 5.56 that I could find, too).

Ben

Wideners is selling Lith for $490/m and SA from Aim is $428.30/m

Bimmer
08-06-08, 10:56
Wideners is selling Lith for $490/m and SA from Aim is $428.30/m

My bad: the OP listed it wrong. Aim is selling 140 round packs (not 120) for $59.95.

I'm a historian, not a mathematician...

Ben

Iraqgunz
08-06-08, 11:55
I believe that ammomans prices on the Lithuanian are even better. 549.00 for 1000 and that includes shipping. I have no idea what it would cost to ship 1K of 762x51 so Wideners may in fact be cheaper. The German stuff looks a little interesting as well. I wonder how it shoots?

Bimmer
08-06-08, 12:13
The German stuff looks a little interesting as well. I wonder how it shoots?

The German stuff is steel bullets, FWIW. It's debateable whether that's really an issue, but I'd rather just ante up for Lithuanian.

Ben

flanntastic
08-06-08, 20:51
I'm a historian, not a mathematician...

Ben

i suck at both:D

Iraqgunz
08-07-08, 03:27
Bimmer,

Saw that. I am guessing that the steel may cause some excessive/ premature barrel wear? I think I will go ahead and get some more of that Lithuanian stuff.

The German stuff is steel bullets, FWIW. It's debateable whether that's really an issue, but I'd rather just ante up for Lithuanian.

Ben