PDA

View Full Version : Not a clone - my 're-imagined retro-ish, ambi' GAU-5A carbine

militarymoron
07-02-15, 21:58
i was going through old boxes recently and found some old A1 parts that i had forgotten about. it looked like i had enough to put together half a build, so i decided to put together a retro-ish carbine just for fun. a sort of 'return to simplicity' for me. i wasn't concerned with authenticity, but i did want it to channel the 'essence' of an old, Vietnam era carbine and most importantly, make it a fun rifle for me to shoot at the range.

i bought my first AR in 1985; a Colt AR15 A2; and when the movie Platoon came out i just HAD to have a carbine. i picked up a used colt carbine at a gun show that i thought was an R6001. it was only years later that i found out that the lower was originally an R6000/SP1 with serial number dating back to 1967 (the year before i was born). since retro builds weren't 'cool' like they are now, i had taken it apart sometime in the late 90's or early 2000's and reconfigured it into something more modern (the SP1 lower is now spray painted with krylon), and the A1 upper receiver was replaced with a flat top. my re-discovery of my A1 upper receiver, handguards and some small parts in a box is what prompted me to put together the rifle below. this was basically a 'retro rifle on a budget', and while i tried to do it on the cheap, i didn't want it to look like a just another new-looking carry handle carbine, so i put a little bit of effort into the distressed look and a couple of details like removing the bayonet lug.

i had an old stripped bushmaster A2 lower in my safe so i filled in the snake logo with epoxy, sanded it down, and painted the lower.
you'll see that there are a lot of things "wrong" with it - A2 lower, .750 barrel (from tony's custom - 11.5" barrel with pinned/welded 'XM style' flash hider), modern castle nut etc. I'm a lefty so i installed an ambi safety, norgon ambi-catch and original badger ordnance ambi charging handle. the receiver extension is a 6-position vltor. both the extension and lower were painted in automotive primer, distressed, then coated with matte clearcoat. the receiver end plate is a BCM QD socket in case i want to use a different sling point. while the use of all these modern parts is anachronistic, this is basically my idea of what an ambi GAU-5A carbine might have looked like if one existed back then.

i actually had more fun putting it together than most of my 'modern' builds, and it's helluva fun to shoot at the range. while it won't fool anyone who knows what they're looking at, it's not meant to. i've had more people comment 'man, that thing must be old!' and show more interest in it than any of my new-fangled carbines. :D

caporider
07-02-15, 23:02
That's cool as hell.

11.5" barrel with 5.5" muzzle device? I've wanted to do a GAU-5A for a good long while now.

H Wyman
07-02-15, 23:26
Nice!

All it's missing is an Armson OEG...;)

the_1iviper
07-03-15, 00:33
bad ass approved brother :cool:

jbjh
07-03-15, 03:21
I was prepared to hate it when reading your post, but the pics tell me to shut up and be happy. Very cool build!

Sent from 80ms in the future
Much peace
Jimmy

Renegade04
07-03-15, 07:46
Although not a true retro clone, it is very well done. Nicely done. Sometimes, a little old and a little new can look good when done properly.

militarymoron
07-03-15, 10:19
thanks for the kind comments, fellas.

KalashniKEV
07-03-15, 11:25
That's awesome.

Good job deleting the snake!

Is that a real vinyl acetate coated aluminum CAR stock?

artoter
07-03-15, 14:44
Kinda looks like the one Sgt. Barnes carried in Platoon. Nice.

militarymoron
07-03-15, 17:15
Is that a real vinyl acetate coated aluminum CAR stock?

i wish - it's the replica from essential arms.

Renegade04
07-03-15, 19:55
i wish - it's the replica from essential arms.

Those are just fine. A lot of guys are using them on their retro builds. They are a fraction of the cost of a Colt original vinyl acetate coated aluminum stock.

Junkie
07-07-15, 19:25
I like it. Eventually I'll be building a nowhere near historically accurate retro-ish rifle but need to decide on some parts. Either partial fence or slick side lower (probably NoDak Spud). For the upper, probably one with no FA or deflector, but with a dust cover (likely NDS-604). Probably some A1 handguards but possibly the NDS brown prototype handguards. The stock I need to think about, 607 would be nice but they're way too expensive, another option is something short but similar looking like the RRA Entry or to cut down an A1 stock.

Still need to decide on a barrel too, I want rifle gassed, relatively short, .625 gas block and getting all of those together isn't easy... nitride would be nice too.

militarymoron
07-12-15, 17:33
Update - I've changed the barrel out from the Tom's custom (which was an incorrect .750" barrel). A little while ago, Austin at Griffin Armament let on that he was making some replica XM177 muzzle devices. They were only going to make a couple for themselves personally for a personal project, but decided to make a run of them. It's a 1/1 external clone of an actual MACV-SOG unit (except for the welds at the back). If you want a brand new XM177 moderator and grenade ring replica for a retro, this will be a great option.

Unlike the replica flash hiders, these are actually linear comps; they have a chamber for internal volume to help with back pressure which effectively 'extends' the length of a short barrel. They do not reduce sound, of course. They made to the exact external dimensions of the original, with a separate grenade ring also made to original dimensions. They're black melonite coated; however as few light swipes with a scotchbrite pad gives them some 'wear' that lightens up the colour nicely.

I had a brand new Colt 16" pencil barrel from brownells shipped directly to Griffin. Austin had agreed to cut it down to around 12.3" , then pin and weld the comp on for me (not a service they normally do - just as a personal favour). With the XM comp, it's a hair over 16" (measured with a rod from the closed bolt face to the end of the comp). Note that these do not extend an 11.5" barrel to 16" - they're the same length as the original, which is approx 4.5".

They just went up on the Griffin site - http://www.griffinarmament.com/Griffin-XM-Linear-Comp-p/xmlc.htm
Anyway, here are the pics.

militarymoron
08-28-15, 21:59
I wrote a more detailed article on my build:
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.access6.html#xm

Campbell
08-29-15, 18:20
I'm going to guess it feels good at the shoulder and points well...had a chance to put it op paper?

militarymoron
08-29-15, 23:40
yup - sighted it in without any issues at 50 yds off a sandbag. group size was around 1.5-2" with PMC 55gr. good enough for me with iron sights.

Campbell
08-31-15, 21:10
Cool, nice build for sure-

LRRPF52
09-04-15, 13:29
Very nice project. Did you notice any difference in handling with the combination of the Griffin Faux Moderator/Linear Comp, and the AR-SOB?

You're basically into the realm I've been dealing with since I got bit by the retro bug, where I go for the most aesthetically purist external gun, with the most modern internal gun.

I've been focusing on the Colt 605 and 605B for this, but there are endless possibilities, especially with some of the other carbines and the Colt 656.

The Colt 605 with RLGS and standard rifle buffer is one of the smoothest AR15's I've ever shot, very fun to shoot, even with 69gr SMK hand loads.

I just sold my XM177E2 build kit, which had everything but the barrel, to include the Brick Moderator, grenade launcher bracket retaining ring, surplus upper, NoDak NDS-16A1 lower, aluminum/vinyl coated stock, original lock ring, surplus Colt LPK, correct Delta ring, early carbine HG cap, etc.

I've always wanted an XM177E2, but I like the GAU=5A/A much better since I can't stand the forward malfunction-worsening assist. GAU-5A/A's are a lot cleaner, and resonate that tubular design the AR15 originally had, while being lighter and just better-feeling in the hands.

One thing you can do is install a fiber optic front sight post, while will practically act like a RDS for CQM, and provide a smaller aiming point for intermediate range shooting.

militarymoron
09-06-15, 16:36
i'm going to shoot it more in a couple of weeks where i'll be able to better compare the SOB buffer to a H2. the griffin linear comp makes a big difference in noise/concussion to the shooter.

i'm with you on the XM177E2 vs. slickside GAU upper - I prefer the lack of fwd assist. I might look into that fiber optic FSP. I have a narrower national match one on there right now.