PDA

View Full Version : Future Implications? Oregon launches program to tax drivers by the mile

cinco
07-03-15, 08:36
Couple of thoughts crossed my mind when reading this story.

Just another symptom of our financial sickness were taxation will continue to increase in an attempt to fix a fatal prognosis.

Another backdoor method to track all movement - in addition, to the cell phone tracking which already occurs.

How the heck would they enforce inter-state travel? Force you to install a tracking device or reject you access? Where do you "check in" upon entering a State? Border Patrol style check points? Since it would involve two (or more) States you know .fed will be all over that.

Any guys out that way with more information?

Oregon launches program to tax drivers by the mile

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/03/oregon-launches-program-to-tax-drivers-by-mile/

Oregon’s Department of Transportation has been working on it for 15 years as a way to eventually replace the gas tax, which has been flat due to an influx of high mileage vehicles and people driving less.

Right now the program is voluntary and being capped at 5,000 participants, but an ODOT official told Fox News the ultimate goal is to make it mandatory and change the way states pay for roads -- forever.

"We're trying to make up for a growing deficit, really, because inflation's eating away at our ability to buy asphalt and rebar and the things we need to maintain the roads," said Tom Fuller of the Oregon Department of Transportation.

According to a national usage fee alliance, 28 states are in various stages of following down the same road. However, there are also privacy concerns. Two of the three OReGO systems track and store a car’s every move.

"To put a GPS monitor in everybody's car, the government already knows too much about us as it is," Jeff Kruse, a Republican lawmaker told Fox News.

Others are raising questions about the cost. Getting the gas tax is cheap, but OReGO vendors will eat up 40 cents of every dollar collected, and for those not used to paying any gas tax, it could be a whole new sticker shock – every month.

uffdaphil
07-03-15, 09:14
GPS is getting so cheap that I can see them requiring it as OEM universally. When you take a road trip every state on your route will get a taste.

One of these days we are going to have RFID sensors in speed limit signs that your car's computer will read and relay to big brother for automatic fine billing.

Averageman
07-03-15, 09:18
I thought your tax on fuel already did that?

cinco
07-03-15, 09:20
GPS is getting so cheap that I can see them requiring it as OEM universally. When you take a road trip every state on your route will get a taste.

One of these days we are going to have RFID sensors in speed limit signs that your car's computer will read and relay to big brother for automatic fine billing.

Damn, you are right. I forgot about that being discussed in the past. Did a quick search and found the following:

http://fuelzee.com/a-gps-tracker-in-your-car-feds-considering-tracking-new-vehicles/

A trackable GPS “safety” device may soon be required in new vehicles, according to federal officials. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is debating installing vehicle-to-vehicle communication devices (V2V), which allow cars to talk to one another through GPS data.

Politicians would like to track American vehicles for a number of reasons, and the rationale that GPS trackers “will prevent accidents” is viewed by some opposers as convenient excuse. With GPS tracking installed, politicians could accomplish taxing drivers for every mile driven. Lawmakers could also use this sort of technology to pass laws allowing local governments to mail tickets to drivers for “recorded traffic violations” as they do now with red light cameras.

PatrioticDisorder
07-03-15, 09:33

And soon after that we will be banned from driving, only self driving cars allowed on the highways and the gunerment will have "fees" and "taxes" to make up any lost revenue from the automatic fine billing.

HD1911
07-03-15, 09:37
Just wait for the Humans Consuming Oxygen Tax Act...

SilverBullet432
07-03-15, 09:44
Ever heard of ITFA? (Applies only for out of state fuel)

SilverBullet432
07-03-15, 09:46
This is major league BS i bet those politicians dont think about how it will affect them..... Oh wait! We pay for their shit too!!! :sarcastic:

cinco
07-03-15, 09:53
This is major league BS i bet those politicians dont think about how it will affect them..... Oh wait! We pay for their shit too!!! :sarcastic:

They'll just fly everywhere - again, on our dime.

cinco
07-03-15, 09:58
I thought your tax on fuel already did that?

It does, but the do-good progressives want everyone to pay "their fair share". Just like the Prius owner in the original link...

David Hastings is a rare American. This long-time hybrid car owner from Oregon wants to pay higher taxes for roads and bridges and says the current 30 cents per gallon state gas tax barely affects him.

"I've been free-loading on the highways for 20 years driving electric cars or hybrid cars, getting at least 40 miles to the gallon. So I haven't been paying my share," Hastings said.

ETA - I bet the existing fuel tax would stay and the per mile tax would be in addition.

Averageman
07-03-15, 10:08
I'm just thinking that if we already pay a gas tax and they want to add this on top then their could be two reasons.
1) Most people do not understand how much they are paying in taxes at the pump and the politicians are counting on the stupidity of the population.
2) It's becomes a way they can control you and your ability to travel.
Or better yet an even mix of both.
All of this being brought to you in the name of Global Warming, Polar Bears and a healthy mix of "It's for the Children."

jpmuscle
07-03-15, 10:09
Stop giving skynet ideas. Or are you skynet?

jpmuscle
07-03-15, 10:10
It does, but the do-good progressives want everyone to pay "their fair share". Just like the Prius owner in the original link...

ETA - I bet the existing fuel tax would stay and the per mile tax would be in addition.
Well he can get out his own checkbook then if he's so inclined.

Averageman
07-03-15, 10:29

My thoughts exactly, I'm pretty sure most government institutions allow for donations.

cinco
07-03-15, 10:36

My thoughts exactly, I'm pretty sure most government institutions allow for donations.

Agreed.

I have to keep reminding myself progressives are not like you and I. I have no desire to impose my beliefs on others. I just want to be left alone.

They, on the other hand, are obsessed with and convinced of their moral superiority. They believe with all their heart that it is their obligation to re-educate me - by any means necessary.

Arik
07-03-15, 11:08
Ever heard of ITFA? (Applies only for out of state fuel)
IFTA. Yes, do it every 4 months. But you would need trip logs for that otherwise you can just lie and say you drove 3 miles . And all fuel receipts

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-03-15, 13:22
Others are raising questions about the cost. Getting the gas tax is cheap, but OReGO vendors will eat up 40 cents of every dollar collected, and for those not used to paying any gas tax, it could be a whole new sticker shock – every month.

This is all you need to know. The state gets more cash, but the real winner is the company that does the collection. How efficient is the gas tax, pretty close to 100%. This new methid is only 60% efficient, but the state does get some cash, so they really don't care.

Eurodriver
07-03-15, 16:04
I don't understand.

Between property taxes (pay the government to live in a home that you own), animal license fees (pay the government to own a pet), gas taxes (pay the government to build roads), tolls (pay the government to drive on roads built with gas tax funds), income taxes (pay the government some of the money that you earned), payroll taxes (pay the government because you had to hire somebody), health insurance (pay the government so they can pay for unhealthy people who don't) and sales tax (pay the government for something you are buying from somebody else) how on earth could anyone honestly justify more taxes?

cinco
07-03-15, 16:31
I don't understand.

Between property taxes (pay the government to live in a home that you own), animal license fees (pay the government to own a pet), gas taxes (pay the government to build roads), tolls (pay the government to drive on roads built with gas tax funds), income taxes (pay the government some of the money that you earned), payroll taxes (pay the government because you had to hire somebody), health insurance (pay the government so they can pay for unhealthy people who don't) and sales tax (pay the government for something you are buying from somebody else) how on earth could anyone honestly justify more taxes?

Two fold:

First on the surface, dumbass Keynesians actually believe that taxation + "stimulus spending" (printing money) is the cure for "social issues".

Second and true to the progressive heart , it is to weaken your self-reliance. The ultimate goal is to put you further in the hole and beholden to them. The more you are taxed, the more control is exerted over you. The progressive goal is to always increase the level of dependence.

Caeser25
07-03-15, 17:04
My standard response anymore is GFY.

cinco
07-03-15, 17:50
My standard response anymore is GFY.

G.F.Y.

Caeser - that should be a political party. Not surprised how many are drawn to the attraction of F.U..

cbx
07-03-15, 19:31
I'll take get effed and die for 500 Alex.....

What a bunch of a holes. They have been talking about it forever. Bastards are finally going to do it. Dammit...

Coming to a state near you...

Big A
07-03-15, 20:52
The irony in all this is that the .gov mandated more efficient vehicles which equals less gas consumed which equals less tax revenue. Gas prices are higher (yes they're down from the ridiculous highs of $100/bl but remember when the price at the pump had a 1 as the first number?) and fluctuate more than they used to so people are driving their more efficient vehicles less which equals less gas consumption which equals less gas consumed which equals less tax revenue.

When is the last time you took a road trip just for fun or vacation, not for a big holiday like Christmas?

Personally I wish I could afford a Tesla S and tell OPEC and the state to GFT...

Moose-Knuckle
07-04-15, 00:04

You jest . . .

"If I could charge people for the air they breath I would". T. Boone Pickens (billionaire elitist)