PDA

View Full Version : New CMMG Carbine

John E. Napalm
07-21-08, 07:53
Hello,

I have finally joined the M4 fraternity and decided it was time to register for the forum. I am retired Army and during my time in service I had experience with the M16A1 and the M16A2. I have handled US Army M4’s and always thought they were very handy rifles, but I never fired one. I have been tempted over the years to buy one, but always talked myself out of it. I do have two AR’s, one an M16A1 clone and the other a Colt HBAR.

About six months ago a friend e-mailed me for advice because he was shopping around for an AR. He asked some questions that I didn’t have the answers to which lead me to different websites to learn. At some point I stumbled on the “So you want to buy an AR-15” post by JWise. I may have seen it here or on the AR15.com, I’m not sure. I learned a lot about M4’s from that article and from the different forums. I finally decided it was time to buy a carbine.

I was first leaning towards buying a Colt 6920, but at the time there weren’t a whole lot of them around and they cost a little more than I wanted to spend. I checked out some of the various websites and finally decided on buying an upper directly from CMMG and having one of the local gun shops ordering me a complete lower from them. The process took a little longer than I thought, but I’m very pleased with my now assembled CMMG M4.

I decided on a 16 inch mid-length upper from CMMG. I wanted the 1/7 twist and also liked the idea of the mid-length because of the longer sight radius. I still like shoot with iron sights. I also decided to go with a Troy back up rear sight and forgo the rear carry handle. I figure sooner or later I will want to get some sort of optical sight and I really liked what I saw in the Troy. Other than that, the gun is pretty much a stock rifle. I have to say I’m very impressed with CMMG’s quality, it was worth the wait.

I’m really looking forward to shooting the rifle this week. I have a few different types of 62 grain ammo to try out and it will be fun to see how they do.

John E.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii226/MGG1956/M4/M4002.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii226/MGG1956/M4/M4004.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii226/MGG1956/M4/M4005.jpg

Detective_D
07-21-08, 08:00
Welcome to the site!!!

Your new blaster looks great. Get ready for the addiction. I got it bad. :cool:

uspopo
07-21-08, 09:37
John, Thank you for your service and Congrats on your new Middy 16.

Stan

skyugo
07-21-08, 18:55
very nice build... i've got a similar setup. cmmg stuff is really quite nice for the cash.

my crappy handloads and bad eyes give me 2.5" groups at 100 yards with mine. :)

eightmillimeter
07-21-08, 20:02
Be glad you went with the Mid-Length. I love them.

Charlie Hotel
07-21-08, 20:31
That gun is screaming for a quad rail and hand guards......thats it. Leave the rest alone. Nice rifle......

28_days
07-21-08, 22:09
Welcome to the forums John,

I have a virtually identical setup (lightweight, LMT fixed rear) on order. The wait time is even greater at this point; I've heard of many waiting 4+ months.

Enjoy it! :D