PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone Technology

Leaveammoforme
07-07-15, 17:59
I have always been the type to get the free phone when renewing contracts. I've had about every outdated phone under the sun. I only hated one, IPHONE 4.

I want a phone to....Make & receive phone calls!

A few months ago I renewed again and the Samsung S5 was the freebie. I liked my previous android based phones and was pleased to see the navigation was very similar.

I have exactly 2 apps on this phone and both are ballistic calculators.

Fast forward to yesterday. We were out shooting and a buddy whipped out his IPhone 6 and recorded a shot in slow motion. It looked awesome. I asked him to record with my S5.

Playing with the settings and what not I found the S5 would do 1/8 speed slow motion. Had him record one shot.

Free extra info! I reload so I now have another tool in my box . From that one shot I got to see muzzle blast, recoil and my bipod walk around.

I know I'm late to the game of phone based gizmos. But, for others that are hard headed like myself , I recommend you explore what else your phone can do.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kTk-909zTZU

Eurodriver
07-07-15, 18:09
I agree.

Lots of folks are "proud" of being old school, and that's fine.

But my phone has a compass, GPS, satellite view of everyplace on earth to 1 meter resolution, a ballistics calculator, and countless nude pictures of females in my social circle via the text messaging function.

Why brag about being antiquated?

Ryno12
07-07-15, 18:19
I agree.

But my phone has a compass, GPS, satellite view of everyplace on earth to 1 meter resolution, a ballistics calculator, and countless nude pictures of females in my social circle via the text messaging function.

I've noticed that too & I never could understand why.

:confused:

Eurodriver
07-07-15, 18:24

Perhaps proud of their ability to get by without one? But it's not like having a phone makes you unable to read a compass or a map, so I have no idea!

markm
07-07-15, 18:41
It's all about Hussein's spying and Identity theft, etc. Dumb fones are unappealing to thieves. I do miss the tech if I'm on my own and trying to find an address. But other than that, no way, Pappasito!

I about shit, when the Iphone photo uploads of certain gun stuff gave the GPS location that could pinpoint my house, Pappabear's house, or the spot where we conduct combat training missions. ;)

Ryno12
07-07-15, 18:48
I about shit, when the Iphone photo uploads of certain gun stuff gave the GPS location that could pinpoint my house, Pappabear's house, or the spot where we conduct combat training missions. ;)

That's why I only upload pics taken from my Polaroid Instant camera. I just scan them, then fax it over to my Commodore 64. ;)

wildcard600
07-07-15, 20:05

I wouldn't say i'm proud to use an old school phone, just poor/cheap. My phone texts and calls for $15 a month. Maybe some are too proud to admit they can't afford snazzy phones ? :confused:

usmcvet
07-08-15, 10:22
That's why I only upload pics taken from my Polaroid Instant camera. I just scan them, then fax it over to my Commodore 64. ;)

Now that's funny!

MarkM,

You should be able to turn off the location setting in the phone.

Palmguy
07-08-15, 10:35
Now that's funny!

MarkM,

You should be able to turn off the location setting in the phone.

Yep: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4424057?tstart=0

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-08-15, 12:25
Renting a Hertz car I asked for a map, she said why not use google maps? I said "a paper map never shits the bed, runs out of battery or loses a signal."

brickboy240
07-08-15, 14:51
I'd much rather have a paper map. Those GPS systems can get you lost as can be and can send you into areas that are heavier in traffic than other paths you might choose to take if you look at a paper map.

Straight Shooter
07-08-15, 15:21
As a former OTR driver, Ill say this: Firstly..I still do not know how to use GPS and all the newer gizmos of the last few years, AND IM THE POORER FOR IT.
HOWEVER- I can and still do use maps, Atlas's and know how to navigate the highways & bi-ways of this country using signs, mile markers and the like. MOST TODAY cannot, and if/when that electronic gizmo goes tits up....we will see who is still getting around and who aint.
IDEALLY- a person oughta know both, really.

eodinert
07-08-15, 15:29
Renting a Hertz car I asked for a map, she said why not use google maps? I said "a paper map never shits the bed, runs out of battery or loses a signal."

If you run out of battery in a car, you don't know how to phone.

AKDoug
07-08-15, 16:48

No shit... but they do loose signal, or decide you don't have coverage with your carrier. I have found that Google maps is updated faster than many paper maps. I always carry both, but rarely use paper any more.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-08-15, 16:54

Again, but in English.

Moose-Knuckle
07-10-15, 04:46

N . . . S . . . A . . .

Just say'n yo.

Moose-Knuckle
07-10-15, 04:48

I still use road almanacs when planning road trips. Since my TSA molestation I drive pretty much everywhere.

Wife's GPS on her smart phones has never worked properly when we needed them.

TXBK
07-10-15, 05:14
Just like any other piece of technology, they will let you down at some point so it's best to not be completely reliant upon a smart phone. I try not to worry too much about the invasion of privacy, because to be honest, we have all already made ourselves right here to some extent. However, I do hate updating my software, because I just know that I am going to wake up some day part of a human centipede. I do keep location services off unless I am actively using the GPS. I guess that you could say that I'm paranoid, but ****it, it's a necessary evil these days especially for work.

Averageman
07-10-15, 06:44
My Dad worked at Bell Labs in the seventies and came home one day with a prototype the size of a WWII Walkie Talkie, he was like a Kid at Christmas.
Now bear in mind this was a prototype and didn't work and they had yet to come up with a battery for it. He was over the moon and very proud, I was like "Ughhh yeah, riiiight Dad."
He had been back and forth to Japan working with Hitachi on several other projects in regards to electronic switching services and I don't know that some of the breakthroughs in cell phone stuff didn't start about that same time.
I wish he was around now to see where this went.

austinN4
07-10-15, 07:57
Another paper map user here. My basic cell phone lives in my day pack, has no apps on it and is for emergencies only.
I just really like paper maps. Always have.

WillBrink
07-10-15, 08:09
It's all about Hussein's spying and Identity theft, etc. Dumb fones are unappealing to thieves. I do miss the tech if I'm on my own and trying to find an address. But other than that, no way, Pappasito!

FYI:

Apple's 'kill switch' leads to a drastic drop in phone thefts - now Google and Microsoft are to copy it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2663625/Google-Microsoft-add-kill-switch-smartphones-Emergency-security-feature-shown-cut-iPhone-theft.html