PDA

View Full Version : Possible issue with my 642

cathellsk
07-07-15, 20:41
I saw a topic about this in the past but can't remember where. There is a pit, or chunk, missing out of my 642's firing pin bushing (?). Is this an issue that needs repaired or nothing to worry about?

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee515/cathellsk/13552b33cee0267882682264d0232443.jpg

ST911
07-07-15, 20:53
I saw a topic about this in the past but can't remember where. There is a pit, or chunk, missing out of my 642's firing pin bushing (?). Is this an issue that needs repaired or nothing to worry about?

My thread, same problem: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?159192-S-amp-W-442-Failure-(Update-Replacement-Rcvd)

Box it up and get ready to ship.

T2C
07-07-15, 21:20
As ST911's thread indicated, it needs to go back to the factory for warranty work. Get in contact with Smith & Wesson and give them an opportunity to make it right.

cathellsk
07-08-15, 00:22
Thanks guys, that's what I figured would have to happen. I've sent snubbys back to Springfield before and always been done right, just hate being without my favorite J for awhile. Going to have to use one of my 640s in the meantime.

moonshot
07-08-15, 06:32
Cathellsk, your 642 looks pretty clean. How many rounds through it?

cathellsk
07-08-15, 10:29
I bought it new from Bud's Gun Shop, it's a LEO model, back in 2011 when I was in Lexington for firearms instructor training for my agency. Since day 1 it's had an Apex kit and polished rebound slide. I've got a documented 1500rds through it and untold amount of dry fires with never a single issue, the trigger feels awesome. Always shoot factory loaded ammo, mostly 130gr. FMJ or Speer Gold Dot 135gr. JHP.

I haven't shot it in awhile so took it out yesterday and ran the LAPD backup qual a couple times. When I got home and cleaned it is when I noticed this, at least I can't remember seeing it before. It's been carried and shot a lot and the finish shows it but it's not real bad. It has sentimental value so hate to see it get replaced but if that's what they have to do then so be it.

brushy bill
07-08-15, 12:25
Is this also a DCU prefix SN# as in 2 examples in ST911's post?

cathellsk
07-08-15, 14:04
Is this also a DCU prefix SN# as in 2 examples in ST911's post?

CRN from June '11.

moonshot
07-09-15, 18:07
I've read this post carefully, and reread ST911's post as well. I am confused. I have very limited knowledge of how J-frames are put together, and less knowledge of metalurgy, but looking at the photos of the guns involved sure looks to me like something impacted on the area in question.

If a piece of the frame was poorly heat treated, or was made from a substandard or non-spec'd alloy, I would think the damage would be confined to the part in querstion, and not spread to adjacent, yet seperate components. If the firing pin bushing is defective, how does this cause damage to the adjacent frame?

It looks to me as if something hit the effected area. What it may have been, and whether that something was solid or gaseous I have no idea, but how else does one explain the damage to multiple parts, made of different materials?

Anyway that's my take. I prefer this to defective components, as I have several airweights and I would hate to add this to my nagging fear of cracked frames from over-torqued barrels.

If I am wrong, and someone can shed light on why I am wrong, please let me know. I want to learn.

SteveS
07-10-15, 15:12
Have you called S@W?

cathellsk
07-11-15, 02:17
Yes, and they had me send pics and description/contact info in an email. I got an automated confirmation email and nothing since Wednesday. I'm calling back Monday.

jaredm1
07-15-15, 07:17
I've read this post carefully, and reread ST911's post as well. I am confused. I have very limited knowledge of how J-frames are put together, and less knowledge of metalurgy, but looking at the photos of the guns involved sure looks to me like something impacted on the area in question.

If a piece of the frame was poorly heat treated, or was made from a substandard or non-spec'd alloy, I would think the damage would be confined to the part in querstion, and not spread to adjacent, yet seperate components. If the firing pin bushing is defective, how does this cause damage to the adjacent frame?

It looks to me as if something hit the effected area. What it may have been, and whether that something was solid or gaseous I have no idea, but how else does one explain the damage to multiple parts, made of different materials?

Anyway that's my take. I prefer this to defective components, as I have several airweights and I would hate to add this to my nagging fear of cracked frames from over-torqued barrels.

If I am wrong, and someone can shed light on why I am wrong, please let me know. I want to learn.

Maybe the shell casing hitting the frame & bushing when the round is fired? The damage has me curious as well.

ST911
07-15-15, 22:02
OP- Got an update for us?

T2C
07-16-15, 11:20

The cartridge cases will hit the area in the picture and the recoil shield during the firing sequence. This is normal. The firing pin bushing could have caused the damage to the frame below the defect in the bushing. It is possible, I am guessing, that S&W received a bad batch of bushings from a vendor. It can happen to any large firearm manufacturer.

I have had good luck with Smith & Wesson customer service. Years ago, I purchased a lightly used Airweight J Frame that had an overindexed barrel and I contacted S&W to arrange repair. Smith & Wesson had no obligation to warranty the repair, but they did. Not only did they index the barrel correctly, they refinished the frame and the J Frame looked like new when they returned it to me. If I remember correctly, it took about 6 weeks from the time I shipped the revolver to S&W until the time it was returned to me.

I am pretty sure Smith & Wesson will take good care of the OP, but they are a busy company and I would expect it to take a little time for a response.

cathellsk
07-18-15, 21:36
Sorry to get back late with an update.
A week ago Wednesday I called S&W and was asked to email a pic and description to them, which I did. The automated response email said allow 4-5 business days for a response. I gave it till this past Thursday and nothing so I called them back. The guy was real nice and said he saw I was in the system already and while he had me on the phone emailed a FEDEX shipping label. I sent it out that evening and included a description of the issue. I asked if they could repair it that that would be preferable as it has sentimental value but if it needs replaced then I understand with the caveat that it be a no lock. It was also a LEO model I got from Bud's Gun Shop. I don't know if there are any real differences between regular and LEO models, I've heard there is but not 100% on that.

FWIW...I once sent a J frame back to them that I regularly carried off duty, a 60-7. I mentioned that in the letter when I shipped it. It went out on a Monday and was back by Thursday. Now that's service. I'm hoping for something similar since this is my off duty currently and I mentioned that in this one's letter. If not, no big deal, as I just bought a 442 to have as backup in a case like this happening again.

cathellsk
07-23-15, 08:37
Got a call from S&W yesterday. They can't repair my 642 and have to replace it. Its being sent to my local FFL and hopefully will arrive soon. Gonna suck to have to break it in again as the trigger was awesome feeling after the APEX trigger kit, 1200+ rounds and countless dryfires.

I asked what exactly was wrong and didn't really get a solid answer. I asked if it was from a bad part or heavy use or ammo somehow and if it would fail if not remedied and he just said yes.

ST911
07-23-15, 09:07
Got a call from S&W yesterday. They can't repair my 642 and have to replace it. Its being sent to my local FFL and hopefully will arrive soon. Gonna suck to have to break it in again as the trigger was awesome feeling after the APEX trigger kit, 1200+ rounds and countless dryfires.

The replacement 442 I received (see my thread) had a very good trigger. Good enough that I didn't swap in an Apex kit. I've seen several recently produced Js with a similar quality as well.

Be sure to specify a replacement without the trigger lock.

cathellsk
07-23-15, 11:51
The replacement 442 I received (see my thread) had a very good trigger. Good enough that I didn't swap in an Apex kit. I've seen several recently produced Js with a similar quality as well.

Be sure to specify a replacement without the trigger lock.

Oh I did, he even mentioned it before I did. I agree about the newer triggers being better, I've noticed that too.

cathellsk
08-20-15, 10:48
Finally decided to call S&W back, the first time they were shut down for some summer break, was told my replacement was at my dealer since 8/3. Jeez, really? So I called them and they found it in a large shipment they got from S&W with no identifying paperwork that it was mine. Oh well, at least I got it.