PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some Truck Tires

Outlander Systems
07-08-15, 10:58
I'm pretty sick-to-death of getting flats.

Anyone know of some rugged, punture-resistant Offroad Tires for a '13 F-150?

wildcard600
07-08-15, 11:04
how many ply are you looking for ?

Outlander Systems
07-08-15, 11:07
Numero tres (3).

Jaysop
07-08-15, 11:36
Numero tres (3).

You're looking for a 3 ply all terrain tire?

Goodyear makes a few with Kevlar, they're super heavy and probably not worth the additional cost. The Duratrac is very popular on Jeeps but I feel like the sidewalls are just not up to the task but its much lighter than many others out there.

The best tires on the market in my opinion are whats offered by BFG. I currently run BFG All Terrain TA/KO2s on my JKU. Its my daily driver and my trail rig. People typically get about 50k on the originals if you do your part (rotos/ balancing/ air pressure ect.)
If your looking for something more agressive the KM2 is the shit. But its louder and wont handle wet roads as well. They will also wear faster.

FWIW a stiffer sidewall will let you air down more and still maintain some sidewall integrity while making the contact patch more flexible.

What are you damaging your tires on? Rocks and stumps?

brickboy240
07-08-15, 11:45
I second the BFG All Terrain K/O's.

I have run those on many pickups, including my current 2013 GMC 2500 4x4. Went to a 34" tire and had to put a levelling kit on the front end to keep them from rubbing. Looks great and rides great, too. Not nearly as dinky as those small stock tires.

Never seen a flat with these tires...ever. Don't think I'd ever run anything else on a 4WD pickup.

Outlander Systems
07-08-15, 12:13

Goodyear makes a few with Kevlar, they're super heavy and probably not worth the additional cost. The Duratrac is very popular on Jeeps but I feel like the sidewalls are just not up to the task but its much lighter than many others out there.

The best tires on the market in my opinion are whats offered by BFG. I currently run BFG All Terrain TA/KO2s on my JKU. Its my daily driver and my trail rig. People typically get about 50k on the originals if you do your part (rotos/ balancing/ air pressure ect.)
If your looking for something more agressive the KM2 is the shit. But its louder and wont handle wet roads as well. They will also wear faster.

FWIW a stiffer sidewall will let you air down more and still maintain some sidewall integrity while making the contact patch more flexible.

Interestingly, I had been leaning towards the Duratracs.

Popped a sidewall on a stump at my property.

On top of that, my cheap tires are nail/screw magnets. I've patched the driver's side three times now, from three different nails, and the rear passenger tire has been patched twice, and I'm running on the spare from the stump-related blowout.

I just plugged the driver's side...again...on my lunch break from a screw. Shit's getting really old.

Jaysop
07-08-15, 12:32
Interestingly, I had been leaning towards the Duratracs.

Popped a sidewall on a stump at my property.

On top of that, my cheap tires are nail/screw magnets. I've patched the driver's side three times now, from three different nails, and the rear passenger tire has been patched twice, and I'm running on the spare from the stump-related blowout.

I just plugged the driver's side...again...on my lunch break from a screw. Shit's getting really old.

Dude you need to buy your tires from Discount tire and get the Free replacement road hazard coverage on that shit. You would have some brand new tires for free right now.

The Duratracs are good tires but Im thinking you would eat those up.
Id buy a Michelin product (BFG) before a Goodyear product any day. The TA/KO2s are actually pretty advanced in terms of tire tech. There are a few vids out there about the subject. Some of it is marketing BS but there is a lot substance to their claims.

But regardless of what tires you get, nails are gonna happen, that just comes from where your driving. All Michelin products come with a standard prorated road hazard warranty, don't let someone sell you a prorated warranty on tires.

Outlander Systems
07-08-15, 12:39
Dude you need to buy your tires from Discount tire and get the Free replacement road hazard coverage on that shit. You would have some brand new tires for free right now.

Consider that a done deal.

Leaveammoforme
07-08-15, 13:00
Hankook Dynapro ATM [/endthread]

Super tread life with amazing traction in all conditions. Tread cleans easy (no, not at a car wash). They call Mesquite and Honey Locust thorns 'chumps' as they shrug them off. One of the few true all terrain tires out there.

BuzzinSATX
07-08-15, 13:04

Super tread life with amazing traction in all conditions. Tread cleans easy (no, not at a car wash). They call Mesquite and Honey Locust thorns 'chumps' as they shrug them off. One of the few true all terrain tires out there.

I'll second any Hankook or Toyo tire. They are the toughest LT tires I've owned.

Take Care,

Buzz

JBecker 72
07-08-15, 13:11
I've got the BFG AT KO2's on my Tacoma. Pretty happy with them after 4,000 miles.

Whiskey_Bravo
07-08-15, 13:54
I have Toyo on my 3/4 ton and am really happy with them.

brickboy240
07-08-15, 14:49
I had Toyo Open Country A/Ts on my old Tundra many years ago and they performed well. I did not get the miles out of them that I get with the BFGs but they were tons cheaper.

I also ran a set of Yokohama Geolandar A/Ts on my old 99 Silverado and those too lasted pretty well and never got a flat.

In order to really avoid flats, you really have to go to a Load Range E tire or something similar. You give up ride but you gain much more protection against flats. The BFGs I ran on my 06 Tundra 4WD were Load Range E and although they rode a tad rough and were a little heavy duty for a 1/2 ton...I never saw a flat tire, ever.

I know the T/A KO's are not cheap but tires is one place I refuse to cheap out...sorry.

Outlander Systems
07-08-15, 15:02
I have been leaning towards an E-rated tire as well. One of my concerns is giving up some MPGs from additional weight. Ride quality...zero flips given. I know the price goes up with the E-rating, but I am to the point where money is "almost" no object when it comes to some new kicks for the truck.

I had Toyo Open Country A/Ts on my old Tundra many years ago and they performed well. I did not get the miles out of them that I get with the BFGs but they were tons cheaper.

I also ran a set of Yokohama Geolandar A/Ts on my old 99 Silverado and those too lasted pretty well and never got a flat.

In order to really avoid flats, you really have to go to a Load Range E tire or something similar. You give up ride but you gain much more protection against flats. The BFGs I ran on my 06 Tundra 4WD were Load Range E and although they rode a tad rough and were a little heavy duty for a 1/2 ton...I never saw a flat tire, ever.

I know the T/A KO's are not cheap but tires is one place I refuse to cheap out...sorry.

sammage
07-08-15, 15:04

Have had these on my 4Runner for two years and are barely worn. Quiet too.

Honu
07-08-15, 15:07
ditto discount tire and certs for the tires then no more worries :)

in no order
BF goodrich KO2
cooper AT/3
hankook atm

brickboy240
07-08-15, 15:10
People love to split hairs with mileage in a pickup but hey...it is a V8 4WD full size truck. It is not going to get good mileage! People that are THAT hung up on mileage really need to reassess if they need a pickup or not and maybe go to a car.

I lost about 2mpg going 3 sizes up to the 34" BFGs but the protection, grip and the performance of these tires trumps a few bucks at the pump.

The tires I got are ones that Discount Tire regularly keeps in stock and they price them pretty competitively. I am running a 275-65-R20 All Terrain T/A, load range E. Since I have a 3/4 ton....I pretty much have to run an E tire.

Jaysop
07-08-15, 15:15
I have been leaning towards an E-rated tire as well. One of my concerns is giving up some MPGs from additional weight. Ride quality...zero flips given. I know the price goes up with the E-rating, but I am to the point where money is "almost" no object when it comes to some new kicks for the truck.

E rated aren't always more. Many times they cost less. There are more Vehicals that call for E rated tires and more are made in that load rating. For me the D rated Duratracs cost more than the BFG TA/KO2s in the size I wanted.
They ride a little harder over bumps and stuff on the highway, just run them at like 35 psi on the F150

Whiskey_Bravo
07-08-15, 15:16
People love to split hairs with mileage in a pickup but hey...it is a V8 4WD full size truck. It is not going to get good mileage! People that are THAT hung up on mileage really need to reassess if they need a pickup or not and maybe go to a car.

I lost about 2mpg going 3 sizes up to the 34" BFGs but the protection, grip and the performance of these tires trumps a few bucks at the pump.

The tires I got are ones that Discount Tire regularly keeps in stock and they price them pretty competitively. I am running a 275-65-R20 All Terrain T/A, load range E. Since I have a 3/4 ton....I pretty much have to run an E tire.

That is the exact size tire and load range I am running on my 3/4 ton diesel. Mine are Toyos though.

Todd00000
07-08-15, 15:30

I second the BFG All Terrain K/O's.

I have run those on many pickups, including my current 2013 GMC 2500 4x4. Went to a 34" tire and had to put a levelling kit on the front end to keep them from rubbing. Looks great and rides great, too. Not nearly as dinky as those small stock tires.

Never seen a flat with these tires...ever. Don't think I'd ever run anything else on a 4WD pickup.

How do these BFGs do in the snow, I need new tires for this winter, for my JK, and will go skiing.

Ryno12
07-08-15, 15:45
I used to use BFG All Terrain T/A's religiously and they were awesome in snow up until about half tread was gone, then they were the absolute worst. After awhile, I couldn't keep justifying the price BFG's. I switched to Bridgestone Duelers & haven't been back to BFG since. While not as good in the snow initially, they seemed better overall throughout the entire life of the tire.

Just my experience. YMMV.

TXBK
07-08-15, 15:45
You should go with a Load Range E rated tire. My experience is with BFG and Toyo. The last ten years or so, I have been running Toyos and they have served me well on-road and off. Some tire damage can be avoided and some cannot. It may help if you can identify where you are picking up the trash and try to avoid that area, or stop pissing off your neighbor. :)

AKDoug
07-08-15, 16:45
I'm on my second set of E-rated Cooper Discoverer AT3's and I've been super happy with them. I travel a bunch of long distance miles on gravel roads known for causing flats with zero issues.

JBecker 72
07-08-15, 17:24
How do these BFGs do in the snow, I need new tires for this winter, for my JK, and will go skiing.

I'll let you know next January.

Oh and I'm running E load tires on my Tacoma that weighs just a hair over 4,000 pounds. So don't fret about putting a set on a full size.

Honu
07-08-15, 17:47
if you get the KO2 they are snow rated should do awesome
I am planning on the KO2 this time around for our new 4runner since they are snow rated :)

after having on/off road tires and mud type off road tires for snow the on/off with the snow rating any of them will out do anything but a true winter snow tire :) was shocked at how much better the snow rated tires handled in the wet snow and dry cold snow than previous tires !

Turnkey11
07-09-15, 00:27

Goodyear makes a few with Kevlar, they're super heavy and probably not worth the additional cost.

I have goodyear wranglers on my F150, they are a good tire choice for mud and wet pavement but the Kevlar means nothing to a nail or screw, I've been driving on a plugged tire for about a year.

Toyoland66
07-09-15, 09:28
Check out the cooper st maxx if you want an aggressive all terrain similar to the duratrac but with stronger sidewalls.

billybronco
07-09-15, 11:02
Um, my Nitto Terra Grappler 285's are some boss ass tires.

brickboy240
07-09-15, 11:16
The Bridgestone Dueler is not very aggressive and looks like a big street tire.

We run Bridgestone Potenzas on the Volvos and they did great.

wildcard600
07-09-15, 19:50
if you get the KO2 they are snow rated should do awesome
I am planning on the KO2 this time around for our new 4runner since they are snow rated :)

after having on/off road tires and mud type off road tires for snow the on/off with the snow rating any of them will out do anything but a true winter snow tire :) was shocked at how much better the snow rated tires handled in the wet snow and dry cold snow than previous tires !

Agreed. Also look into a narrow profile ("pizza cutter") tire, they work much better in snow than those wide, fat tires people seem to love putting on jeeps.

Shorts
07-09-15, 20:18
I'm on my second set of E-rated Cooper Discoverer AT3's and I've been super happy with them. I travel a bunch of long distance miles on gravel roads known for causing flats with zero issues.

Copy that.
Running my first set, I'm 6k in and really like these tires on my Ram 2500 4wd. 285/70/17 Load E from Discount Tired OTD $1108

Pretty good tread pattern on these things and impressed with them in the wet. ETA: the previous Terra Grapplers were horrible in the rain, decent off the pavement. I've run BFGs in the snow, they were ice donuts and worthless. Never ran AT/KOs in snow, ran them in dirt/clay..they were ok but packed quickly. All in mind these are ATs and not MTs so they won't clear quickly.

Jaysop
07-09-15, 20:50
Agreed. Also look into a narrow profile ("pizza cutter") tire, they work much better in snow than those wide, fat tires people seem to love putting on jeeps.

How so? A smaller contact patch makes for less friction with the road. It hasn't been my experiance that more narrow tires worked better but we also didn't have a few feet of snow on the ground all winter back in NY.

More siping and a tread design made to hold snow makes a good snow tire. Snow stuck to the tire sticks to snow stuck on the road. Conti DWS is the best example of that.

Winter rated tires are designed to stay soft and sticky in weather averaging below 45* they also have that little snow symbol.

wildcard600
07-09-15, 21:23
How so? A smaller contact patch makes for less friction with the road. It hasn't been my experiance that more narrow tires worked better but we also didn't have a few feet of snow on the ground all winter back in NY.

More siping and a tread design made to hold snow makes a good snow tire. Snow stuck to the tire sticks to snow stuck on the road. Conti DWS is the best example of that.

Winter rated tires are designed to stay soft and sticky in weather averaging below 45* they also have that little snow symbol.

A wide tire will try to float on the snow rather than dig down to the solid ground where the traction is. I had to swap out the 33's on my YJ every year when i lived in VT or the thing would slide all over the road. The 29" M+S rated street tires did way better than those 33" MTR MT tires could ever dream of. My MR2 with narrow dedicated studded snow tires did better still than even the jeep except in the deep stuff, and thats a 2wd mid engine sports car.

Now if you are trying to cross a open field with 4 feet of snow, the wider tire would probably work better as they do in deep mud.

sjc3081
07-09-15, 21:49

Here is the answer
http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

Honu
07-09-15, 22:32
ditto pizza cutters :)

also kinda want to to the new Cooper STMaxx seems to be getting awesome reviews but its more off road than on ;)

brickboy240
07-10-15, 12:33
Snow?

I am in South Texas...what the hell is snow?

LOL

Other than snow, the BFGs do well on rain slick pavement, dirt roads, sandy beaches and muddy cow fields.

Snow? I have no idea how they do in that...sorry.