PDA

View Full Version : US Army Switching to Hollow Point Ammo

Alpha-17
07-08-15, 20:48
Didn't know where to put this, so I guess here works.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/07/robert-farago/breaking-u-s-army-switching-to-hollow-point-ammunition/

BREAKING: U.S. Army Switching to Hollow Point Ammunition

Sources tell TTAG that the United States Army is switching from ball to hollow-point ammunition for its next generation handgun. The Army dropped the bombshell yesterday at the Modular Handgun System Industry Day in Picatinny, New Jersey. The event was held as part of the Army’s procurement process to replace the Beretta M9 handgun and the ammunition used for the gun. After making the announcement, an Army lawyer mounted the stage to mount a defense for the switch hollow-points . . .

The U.S. did not agree to a ban on expanding ammo by international treaty. And the the Army’s prepared to defend the decision in the court of international law and opinion. His core argument: countries that will denounce the use of hollow-point use the hollow points for their police forces.

The Army said it will rely on FBI data to evaluate bids for the new ammunition. It also said that it knows it will get heat for the move, but claimed the administration supported the change at the highest levels at the Department of Defense. In other words, this is as close to a done deal as it can get without a signed contract.

The question is: what about rifle ammo? We’re looking into it. Watch this space.

Interesting, as I did not expect this. Step in the right direction, especially if they choose to stick with 9mm.

black22rifle
07-08-15, 20:52
Mother of god... a step in the right direction.

Kain
07-08-15, 20:56
Isn't this a sign of the end times? I mean the US military actually using common **** off sense? Shit, and here I was expecting things to trudge on for at least a couple more months. I suppose I should hold judgement until they announce the round they are going to choose. They could still go off the deep end and pick something like the RIP-POS round of something that was obsolete back in '84 or something.

On another note. I really think they should first remove ass from head and switch to a better rifle round first, seeing as that it going to be used a hell of a lot more than any pistol round.

Alpha-17
07-08-15, 20:57
On another note. I really think they should first remove ass from head and switch to a better rifle round first, seeing as that it going to be used a hell of a lot more than any pistol round.

There's a decent chance of that happening, if the M855A1 vs Mk 318 Mod 1 tests go the right way, and the Army is forced to adopt the Marine's round.

Clint
07-08-15, 21:03
Good news.

This actually makes sense in relation to a new handgun.

Not all hollowpoints feed through all pistols, so designing them to work together from the get go makes sense.

jpmuscle
07-08-15, 21:08
Countdown until the anti 2A crowd starts going after assault hollow points that belong on the battlefield in a theater of war, starting now...

Kain
07-08-15, 21:39
There's a decent chance of that happening, if the M855A1 vs Mk 318 Mod 1 tests go the right way, and the Army is forced to adopt the Marine's round.

Would be nice to see. Though that would concrete that the end times are upon us if they do something logical. Lol.

Good news.

This actually makes sense in relation to a new handgun.

Not all hollowpoints feed through all pistols, so designing them to work together from the get go makes sense.

True. If I were manufacturing the pistol it would be nice to know in advance. Though I haven't heard of any issues with the M9/92 series having issues with HP ammo. I have an old, old, 92SB that has fed Rem Golden Saber, Win SXT and Ranger T as well as Hydro shok without issue. Or for that matter any modern pistol having any major issue with HP ammo in this day and age.

Am curious to know what they go with though. Maybe we will be able to get overrun or seconds at good prices. Probably not, but would be nice.

eightmillimeter
07-08-15, 22:05
They obviously want a barrier blind round since they are referring to FBI protocol testing. My money is on something non-toxic and leadless since that is their new "thing." Something along the lines of the Barnes XPB?

AFshirt
07-08-15, 22:17
Hopefully they do not use the hollow point 9mm rounds that we were issued stateside as AF cops. Those things looked like a FMJ that someone took a drill bit to.

T2C
07-09-15, 05:59
Hopefully they do not use the hollow point 9mm rounds that we were issued stateside as AF cops. Those things looked like a FMJ that someone took a drill bit to.

Did they expand when used in the field?

R0N
07-09-15, 06:18
There is already a DODIC for 9mm hollow point and I been issued it in Iraq on multiple occasions.

However, although there may be a desire to issue a new round, I am not sure how fire this will get

MegademiC
07-09-15, 07:47
Watch them pick up some Lehigh defense or drt ammo.

If they pick up something like ranger bonded, GD, or hst, that would be awesome for mil guys.

Mac679
07-09-15, 16:23
Yeah, because it's not like MPs haven't been using JHPs since the Ft. Hood shooting and the MPs all carry pistols......
Must mean the entire Army is switching... "Article" is shoddily written and full of half assed assumptions.
:rolleyes:

Lots of things have DODICs, primers, powder, etc. TAMIS is very interesting to browse around in. LOL

Maple Leaf pilgrim
07-09-15, 16:27

They should. The M855A1 is tearing up weapons from what I hear.

-S.

markm
07-09-15, 17:57
I hope they choose Steelhawk ammo.

rubber ducky
07-09-15, 20:26
"Sources tell TTAG that the United States Army is switching from ball to hollow-point ammunition for its next generation handgun. The Army dropped the bombshell yesterday at the Modular Handgun System Industry Day in Picatinny, New Jersey."

So... is this according to the "Source", or did the Army say this? My source says that Picatinny MIGHT field another cartridge other than a ball round.

I believe my source.

Livefreeordie92
07-10-15, 03:59

I'm pretty sure they're just 147 grain Winchester white box. I'll check next time I'm at work.

R0N
07-10-15, 05:03
I'm pretty sure they're just 147 grain Winchester white box. I'll check next time I'm at work.

Federal 147grain Hi-shock

mack7.62
07-10-15, 08:56
Perfect timing, not during the last 14 years of the GWOT but just in time to use against those radical right wing terrorist’s that are the real threat to the U.S.

WillBrink
07-10-15, 09:21
"Sources tell TTAG that the United States Army is switching from ball to hollow-point ammunition for its next generation handgun. The Army dropped the bombshell yesterday at the Modular Handgun System Industry Day in Picatinny, New Jersey."

So... is this according to the "Source", or did the Army say this? My source says that Picatinny MIGHT field another cartridge other than a ball round.

I believe my source.

Isn't this about the time some ill informed group or person starts whining about the Geneva Convention or some sh&% in regards to evil scary JHPs?

rubber ducky
07-10-15, 09:46
Isn't this about the time some ill informed group or person starts whining about the Geneva Convention or some sh&% in regards to evil scary JHPs?

Don't know - don't care. But there's a difference between saying that Army is going to switch, vs. OGC/TJAG saying that they MIGHT no longer be bound to only FMJ / ball.

T2C
07-10-15, 10:21

Hague Convention?

WillBrink
07-10-15, 12:23
Hague Convention?

They usually start with Geneva and work to Hague as a rule. I have seen people write for example that "shot guns against the Geneva Convention"

It's gotta be true right? :jester:

T2C
07-10-15, 12:27
They usually start with Geneva and work to Hague as a rule. I have seen people write for example that "shot guns against the Geneva Convention"

It's gotta be true right? :jester:

Absolutely. Shotguns were banned under the Geneva Convention right after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

WillBrink
07-10-15, 12:41
Absolutely. Shotguns were banned under the Geneva Convention right after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpaOy8b8X6A