PDA

View Full Version : How to best gauge wear on a Beretta 92?

jedi391
07-09-15, 17:14
A little while back a friend was in a tight situation financially and wanted to send his kid to a camp. Knowing this friend was not a guy to take charity I bought an older Beretta 92fs from him that he never shot. Turns out the gun was made in 1990 and he bought it in 2000 second hand but only shot once. It has the original style locking block. It has moderate holster wear and the frame rails where the slide mates to the frame have the black finish worn down to shiny silver on the inside of the rails along maybe 30% of the rail length. I am anal about tracking a guns round count and wouldn't typically buy used. I have been kicking around sending te gun of to Wilson for a makeover but am curious if this level of wear would make it not worth sending to Wilson. The fact that it's on the original locking block makes me think the round count isn't exorbitant but I'm not sure. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome. I also used the search but didn't find the info I was looking for.

Kain
07-09-15, 17:26
Berettas run pretty well and are pretty damn durable all things being equal. I mean, considering the Mil usage and complete lack of preventive maintenance others like to speak of in regards to the M9s. I would say the gun is far from being worn out, as long as slide and barrel lock up is not baby rattle I would say you are good to go and would likely consider taking it to the range and running some rounds through it. If you are concerned pick up a new recoil spring and locking block. I would consider a D spring as well just to improve the trigger, but that is your call. Other than that, I don't think the gun is going to cause issues. If you are wanting to send it to Wilson I am sure they can make it an even better shooter, but I don't think you are going to see any real issues, I have a 92 that is older than your 1990 vintage, has more wear on the rails, original locking block from what I can tell, and I have run it a good deal, and it is still accurate and reliable.

CAVDOC
07-09-15, 17:49
Except in possibly match grade guns tracking doubt count is pointless- all you have to ask is two questions-
Does it run?
Does it meet accuracy standard?
If the above answers are yes any concern about round count means nothing - if a gun has round count of 300 but you can not say yes to the above you need help, if the gun has 50k through it and the above is yes do not mess with it.

jedi391
07-09-15, 18:07
I should add that I have shot it. It was plenty accurate. I swapped a new 16lb recoil spring in. Part of the appeal for using it for a Wilson upgrade is te lacking safety warnings and all steel parts.

KalashniKEV
07-09-15, 18:38
I should add that I have shot it. It was plenty accurate.

You're halfway there... now tell us, did it run?

If so, do with it what makes you happy and put it in a box to Arkansas.