PDA

View Full Version : Stag Arms 2HT upper problem

Heiko
07-21-08, 10:29
Hello! I'm a brand new member here. I came across the site while researching my first AR build. I'm not new to AR's but I'm definitely new to the wild world of custom builds. Here is my problem:

I just bought a Stag 2HT upper assembly. It is actually the second one. I bought one and after getting it home, noticed that the barrel or front sight was canted to the right. I also noticed that the included Samson handguard was a little lower than the rail on the top of the receiver. I returned that example and got a replacement. All looked okay in the store but I was pressed for time so I had to leave. The store happens to be an hour each way drive away from home too.

This second 2HT had the same issue with the Samson rail being lower than the rail on the receiver. The result is pictured below. The rails do not sit flush. The first picture shows it pretty clearly. The second picture shows the gap under a straight edge. The problem that causes is that my EOTech will not mount properly. I would like, and should be able to mount it so that the front sits at or just over where the delta ring would be. The height difference with the rails prevents that from being possible. The EOTech rails do not sit properly due to the height difference. I can mount it all the way on the handguard but I do not like that position. I cannot mount it all the way to the rear because the ARMS BUIS doesn't give enough room for the EOTech to be locked in the rail. If the EOTech is all the way forward, it cannot slide back farther than where the receiver begins. It butts up against the height difference. Likewise for aft to front.

Bottom line is that I am really unhappy and frustrated. I was really expecting more from Stag after reading so many good things about their products. What's the use of having a continuous rail if I can't mount my optic of choice in the position I want? Is this typical of Stag? Has anyone else seen this? I have now seen it on two 2HT's. Is there a simple fix for this? If I can't get this squared away, I'm returning it and starting over. [:(!]

Any help is appreciated.

rifleshooter
07-21-08, 10:42
I would return it as there is no way it can be fixed.:(

Heiko
07-21-08, 11:03
I would return it as there is no way it can be fixed.:(

That's what I thought. Is it something unique to how the Samson FF tube fits? The guy at CWS said that they're all like that. I'm not crazy for being ticked about this am I?

rifleshooter
07-21-08, 11:11
Somewhere the interface tolerances got dropped when setting the height of the 1913 rail. They just don't match and that a problem.:(

Heiko
07-21-08, 16:17
Somewhere the interface tolerances got dropped when setting the height of the 1913 rail. They just don't match and that a problem.:(

So the lesson here is that Samson tubes are junk. I've seen two that are out of spec. I wanted a Daniel Defense anyway.

The question now is do I return the whole lot to CWS or will they let me swap out the Samson for a DD if I pay the difference? I think this would be unlikely because the 2HT came that way from Stag rather than being a CWS build. Hey, a guy can try though. ;)

rifleshooter
07-21-08, 16:33
So the lesson here is that Samson tubes are junk. I've seen two that are out of spec. I wanted a Daniel Defense anyway.

The question now is do I return the whole lot to CWS or will they let me swap out the Samson for a DD if I pay the difference? I think this would be unlikely because the 2HT came that way from Stag rather than being a CWS build. Hey, a guy can try though. ;)

Well I think it's a real quality problem CWS should correct it. Who ever installed the rail on the Stags upper needs to find out who is the responsible party Samson or Stag.