PDA

View Full Version : Starter optic?

Ice_Pick
07-10-15, 05:19
A couple months back I bought a Rossi "Youth Matched Pair" .22 / 20 Gauge combo so I could start teaching my 7 yr old son how to shoot. (Based on the advise I got here... that learning on a single shot is a better than on a semi-auto)

The problem I ran into, is that the "adjustable" iron sight on the .22 can't adjust enough to be useful at 40-50 yards.

So I figure I need an optic.

After hours on the internet, and several more hours bouncing through several LGS's while on vacation I was able to come up with a scope mount that fits. (Weaver 410 is a perfect fit since the Rossi B801 is apparently made from unobtainium)

I was wandering through Wal-Mart and they had a Tasco 3-7x 20mm for $20 and I figured that was about my price range... so I grabbed it.... (Come on... he's 7)

Get it all home, and try to put it together... and the Tasco is apparently built to a different (smaller) standard... WTF??

Anyone have a suggestion/recommendation on how to work this out? Favorite cheap scope that will fit a weaver base? or is there an adaptor of some sort that can interface the "airgun" base to a weaver?

ucrt
07-10-15, 06:16
Search at Brownells or MIDWAYUSA for some type of scope ring bushing, shim, adapter, etc.
You'll need the exact sizes for it to work.

SkiDevil
07-10-15, 08:06
Nikon makes great rimfire optics that will last many years. For general use on a rimfire, I prefer a fixed 4x32 scope. I have owned several Nikons including two of these. Well worth the money.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Riflescopes/PROSTAFF-4x32-Rimfire-Matte-Nikoplex.html

For mounts take a look at SWFA, they carry mounts for just about any application.

Personally, for a starter rifle I would find your boy a nice bolt action .22. The Marlin and Savage models are lower cost, but a CZ would be ideal.

I.E. Marlin 15Y, or CZ Scout.

I have taught several youngsters to shoot with a CZ trainer and it worked well for that use. One of the nice things about CZs is that the iron sights are very well made.

Hochsitz
07-10-15, 08:08
For a $20 scope you could wrap it with masking tape until the rings start to bite and it shouldn't hurt your performance. Seriously. If the scope starts to slip in the rings (it won't) you can take off the tape and try something else. Masking tape is worth about .005 inches so figure .010 every time you go around it. Good luck.

Joe Mamma
07-10-15, 09:43
A couple months back I bought a Rossi "Youth Matched Pair" .22 / 20 Gauge combo so I could start teaching my 7 yr old son how to shoot. (Based on the advise I got here... that learning on a single shot is a better than on a semi-auto)

The problem I ran into, is that the "adjustable" iron sight on the .22 can't adjust enough to be useful at 40-50 yards.

So I figure I need an optic.

After hours on the internet, and several more hours bouncing through several LGS's while on vacation I was able to come up with a scope mount that fits. (Weaver 410 is a perfect fit since the Rossi B801 is apparently made from unobtainium)

I was wandering through Wal-Mart and they had a Tasco 3-7x 20mm for $20 and I figured that was about my price range... so I grabbed it.... (Come on... he's 7)

Get it all home, and try to put it together... and the Tasco is apparently built to a different (smaller) standard... WTF??

Anyone have a suggestion/recommendation on how to work this out? Favorite cheap scope that will fit a weaver base? or is there an adaptor of some sort that can interface the "airgun" base to a weaver?

Ice Pick, I'd like to help because I have some experience working through these types of issues. But I'm not sure I follow exactly what you are describing.

Are you saying that there was a scope mount which came with the Tasco scope, and that mount does not fit onto the base mount (Weaver 410)? Could you describe the problem with a little more detail?

Joe Mamma

GH41
07-10-15, 10:12
What he has is a weaver base on the rifle and he bought a scope with rings made to clamp on a 3/8" dovetail. Many adapters are made to do the opposite of what he wants to do. I have never seen what he needs. If he finds one it will be at least 1/2" tall. Between the unforgiving eye box on the cheap scope and height of the adapter the kid will struggle to shoot it with no cheek weld. Something else to think about..... Does the little scope have enough range of adjustment to get to 50 Yards? Do the kid right and get him a decent 4X scope. Don't handicap him just because he is 7 years old. He won't be 7 for very long!

Ice_Pick
07-10-15, 13:27
What he has is a weaver base on the rifle and he bought a scope with rings made to clamp on a 3/8" dovetail. Many adapters are made to do the opposite of what he wants to do. I have never seen what he needs.

This.

Do the kid right and get him a decent 4X scope. Don't handicap him just because he is 7 years old. He won't be 7 for very long!

And I that's pretty much the answer I was expecting... but hoping that there would be a cheap way to salvage what I have.

Which probably means that the boy just got a 3-7x telescope to play with at the park.... and I need to just buy another proper scope that will fit a standard Weaver rail.

In my head, I was leaning toward a variable... is a fixed 4x a better option for this setup?

GH41
07-10-15, 15:55
This.

And I that's pretty much the answer I was expecting... but hoping that there would be a cheap way to salvage what I have.

Which probably means that the boy just got a 3-7x telescope to play with at the park.... and I need to just buy another proper scope that will fit a standard Weaver rail.

In my head, I was leaning toward a variable... is a fixed 4x a better option for this setup?

I don't have children but have taught many of them basic shooting skills. They loose interest quickly if they cannot see results. The last thing I would start them shooting at is paper. Kids do better if they see a target move, break or fall when hit. Clay targets are perfect if your range allows using them. Another inexpensive target I use are simple wooden blocks cut off of a common 2X4. Spray them with orange traffic paint. Start out placing them at 5-10 yards and move them out as his skill improves. I doubt you will get anywhere near 50 yards before he runs out of gun. A fixed 4X scope is perfect for shooting reactive targets. The Nikon mentioned above is a scope worth moving to his next gun if you can swing it now. Another option would be an inexpensive red dot. The simpler the better.

MBtech
07-10-15, 20:52
Another vote for a Nikon scope.

Another option that is slightly cheaper is Simmons, I still have a Simmons on my very first .22 that is a 3-9x32 and is almost 20 years old and still works fine. But if you can swing another $50 bucks or so I'd go with Nikon, better glass/clarity.

Myself I'd prefer a variable optic, and a simple crosshair reticle. You can always leave it on 3-4x but still have magnification available. I very much agree with the reactive targets he will not get bored with that and .22 steel targets are the cheapest to buy. If he really gets into shooting and down the road wants to do a little more precision practice having magnification would be a plus. Also at that age/size keep in mind you are adding weight to the gun and don't get something to make it too heavy for him. My son's scope (he is 10) is a Leupold Rifleman 2-7 very nice scope for the money, light and compact and should last him a long time, if not the rest of his life.

Good luck! And enjoy the rangetime with your son! It's priceless!

Tarasdad
07-11-15, 13:42
Agree with the above. Spend a little extra for a decent scope. Nothing will frustrate you, and especially your son, faster than trying to deal with the cheap, dark optics of those 20mm scopes. Agree also on reactive targets, just make sure they're either biodegradable or that you pick up all the bits when you finish shooting. In fact, that's a good habit to get your son into from the start. See if you can find something like this locally: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Impact-Seal-Ground-Bouncing-Top-Hat-Reactive-Target/17510871

Bimmer
07-12-15, 09:14
... Wal-Mart had a Tasco 3-7x 20mm for $20 and I figured that was about my price range... so I grabbed it.... (Come on... he's 7)

Is the Tasco scope 7/8"? A lot of cheap .22 scopes are...

Like a lot of the other guys have already said: If you want your son to hate shooting, then keep buying him crap equipment.