PDA

View Full Version : Shoes For Working On Cement Floors All Week?

Jellybean
07-11-15, 16:56
As title says- looking for some input on what kind of shoes you guys are liking for those that work on their feet on a cement floor all week long.
I don't need anything super special slip proof/steel toe.

I was thinking of just getting a light hiking shoe or similar with better arch support.

I am NOT wearing "doctor scholls" or some other geezer shoe... :laugh:

Backstory- work on my feet on a cement floor all week, and after a couple years it's seriously f***ing up my back and knees. Chiropractor says my hips are doing some twisty/turny thing, and of course my knees and feet are literally killing me all the time. If I could walk out on the whole situation, I would (and I've got other better reasons than this to add), but unfortunately I'm kind of stuck there for now, so.... shoes it is. :rolleyes:

Ideas?

An Undocumented Worker
07-11-15, 17:14
I've found stiffer soled shoes to be more comfortable standing on concrete all day. Squishy shoes just cause me problems.

markm
07-11-15, 17:16
Man... I just started a job doing just this. I'm interested in some ideas because my feet are killing me.

bp7178
07-11-15, 17:16
Loose weight if you're carrying too much and get more exercise. Drink more water too. You'd be amazed how dehydration can manifest itself.

Quiet-Matt
07-11-15, 17:26
I personally prefer a stiffer sole boot with a defined heel of about 1.5" or so. Insole is personal preference but I have a pair of Sorbathane insoles that I was issued in 98 that I am still using. They have served me well.

Rekkr870
07-11-15, 17:26
I work as an RN; 12 hour shifts on concrete floors can do crazy things to your body. I have flat feet and I have noticed that any stiff soled shoe works better than any "Running" shoe for me. I particularly like the Crossfit Nano 4.0 shoes. The are lightweight and have a stiff, flat sole. YMMV.

SilverBullet432
07-11-15, 17:27
Lose weight or dr scholls! Try their insoles

rjacobs
07-11-15, 17:33
Got a buddy that swears by red wings.

cwgibson
07-11-15, 17:37
I work 7 on 7 off 10 hour shifts in a hospital pharmacy averaging 12,000 steps per day, according to my phone app. I am sure it is not that accurate but it should be close. I have a pair of timberland hikers that are very comfortable. I just bought a new pair as the old pair I had gave out after three years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SkiDevil
07-11-15, 17:56
In a business type environment or office setting, I wore these shoes. Rockport shoes are one of the most comfortable shoes that I have ever worn. Great support, light-weight, and durable. I recently bought some Clark's, and they are nice but the Rockports are better in my opinion.

Link:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EY7KQ4/ref=twister_B000EY5ORQ

I wore those Margins for over 7 years. In the several pairs that I bought all lasted more than a year after a great deal of walking around. Another plus is the sole is very tacky with good grip, so you don't slip and fall on your ass. Great shoes.

usmcvet
07-11-15, 18:27
Shoes should be replaced every 3-6 months. I don't do that either I go closer to a year. I just bought a pair of New Balance Postal Walkers. They're black leather and made in the USA. They are bigger than the regular NB 623's I wear. The 623's I wear are 12 4E. I think 11.5 would hav been right. I find American made shoes/boots are bigger.

markm
07-11-15, 19:09
The other factor for me is that I'm in a friggin HOT environment. So anything heat unfriendly sucks. I may give a stiffer soul a try.

Jellybean
07-11-15, 19:24
Two more things that I should have added-
I am ok on weight issues- not overweight at all.
Also, I work in a thankfully very casual environment, so I can wear pretty much any pattern show I want- it doesn't have to be dressy, so that opens up my options a lot.

Straight Shooter
07-11-15, 21:30
Gentlemen-
Im a factory worker now on/off for many many years. My current job is 12 hours a night, in HOT HELL. The only thing I suggest is replacing shoes no later than every 6 months. Id say sooner even. We get a new pair free every six months and by that time Im ready for one!
Thick cushion socks help a tad. But there is really no magic formula...if you are on your feet all day/night on a regular basis...they are gonna hurt, period.

nimdabew
07-11-15, 21:44
I used stiff hiking boots with good ankle support when I worked as an order filler in a warehouse. Beprepared to go through a lot of pairs of boots if you work on your feet all day long however. Don't cheap out, with buying shoes and you won't regret it.

FishTaco
07-11-15, 21:48
I'd say quality walking/trail walking shoes plus fire the chiropractor and go to a physical therapist to address the specific symptoms you're experiencing, followed by posture and movement changes.

I've worn Nike running shoes working on concrete, lots of walking and had good luck with them.

Chiropractic medicine is designed around making everything 'chronic' and requiring regular care. "Adjustment?" Please....

AKDoug
07-11-15, 22:21
It is so hard to recommend a pair of shoes to someone. I am on my third (of fourth?) pair of RedWing 3507 steel toed boots. My requirements were a non-marking sole, low amount of tracking of mud, steel toed, and comfortable all day on concrete and asphalt. These boots meet my needs to a "T" and I love them. I have several pairs of "walking" shoes that don't hold a candle to these boots. I also add a high arch support set of insoles from Red Wing before I leave the store.

MountainRaven
07-11-15, 22:47
If you need to be cool - as in tacticool - try Danner Marine RATs.

If you don't care about how you look... Crocs. Best pair of shoes for wearing on concrete that I have ever bought - I wear a pair of the Bistros. And dirt cheap, too. Particularly compared to the Danners.