PDA

View Full Version : Writing For Gun/Gear Magazines/Websites? Looking For Info

Jellybean
07-11-15, 17:24
Since M4C has had a pretty diverse membership in the guns and gear industry, I want to pick your brains on this.

For anyone with current or previous experience in this area....

The biggest question-Is it worth getting into?

Are there any websites/magazines worth pursuing a position with over others?

The nitty gritty- I'm sure this is not a "quit your day job" thing, but what is the general rate of $$ you can bring in?

How bad is it as far as deadlines?

Are there a lot of fixed requirements for what you write- like "Article X can only be 6000 words" or is it pretty much write what you want and it'll get divided up later if needed?

Would it be better to write for a magazine or a website?

What kind of experience (both guns/gear and writing) is usually required?

Backstory;
I've been looking for *something* to do in the gun/gear industry for quite a while ("follow your passions" and all that jazz everyone's always making sound so easy), and over the last few years have acquired enough of a knowledge base in this area that, while I don't know everything, I can provide "off the top of head" info on just about any related subject. So I wouldn't feel out of my depth doing something like writing for a guns/gear website or magazine. I also have done a good bit of writing, including running a a blog (with actual "meat and potatoes" opinion pieces and reviews, not your usual blog fodder), the content of which I feel again, while I'm no poet I could easily post in a magazine.

A few weeks ago, I was browsing online looking for jobs, and stumbled across a well known website that had an open call for a review writer. I figured "well, hell I already do that", but they didn't say much about requirements or compensation, etc.

So I figured I'd try to get some info here before doing anything.
Not to mention, the website is a little more "general" gun themed, and most of my knowledge base is in the tactical/outdoor arena, so of course I'd prefer that....

So, anyone here with input or experience to add to the above?
Are there any websites or magazines out there with either open positions or at least worth giving a knock on their door?

SteyrAUG
07-11-15, 19:13
Finally, a question Rob_S could answer with authority.

:laugh:

Jellybean
07-11-15, 19:28
Finally, a question Rob_S could answer with authority.

You know, when I posted that I thought the EXACT same thing!
I said "man, I should PM Rob".

Straight Shooter
07-11-15, 21:25
Jellybean...
Good luck & all the best in your endeavor. I do ask...nay..PLEAD..that should you become a "scribe"...please..for the love of God & all that is Holy..PLEASE DO NOT write yet ANOTHER article on "the venerable 1911" or do another AR/M4 "review", or extoll the virtues of the Taurus Judge as a "viable home/self defense weapon" , or any other such nonsense that Ive read AD NAUSEAM since Ive subscribed to my first rag back in 1975 or so.
Ive have long since let my last subscription go...I had 3-5 at any given time for decades, and it was month after month of SAME OLD SHIT.
And...EVERY ****IN THING DONT HAVE TO BE TACTICAL EITHER!!
This is just a request, and again good luck in your adventure.

Moose-Knuckle
07-12-15, 01:09
I'd shoot Stickman and RustedAce a PM, they are both published in various gun rags.

Honestly print is dead, IMHO the future is things like blogs and YouTube. Colin Noir, Twang N Bang, and Mrgunsandgear come to mind . . .

https://www.youtube.com/user/TWANGnBANG

https://www.youtube.com/user/Mrgunsngear

YouTube is how Colin Noir was "discovered" he is now a spokesman for the NRA.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrColionNoir

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-12-15, 01:29
You can make a small fortune writing about guns- if you start with a large fortune.

Korgs130
07-12-15, 10:02
I write hear and there for FighterSweep.com which is part of Force12 media that includes SOFREP and the Loadout Room. They like articles between 600-1000 words. At $0.00 per article the pay isn't great, and the majority of the writes at those websites don't get paid either. Going through a the process of working with professional editor has been an awesome opportunity. Definitely give it a try.

Dave_M
07-12-15, 10:19
Almost every question you have is extremely variable and largely depends on the publication.

Abraham
07-12-15, 11:23
Jellybean,

Craig Boddington wrote a column in Guns and Ammo magazine in regard to your question and all it entails.

I don't recall the month of the magazine he wrote the article, but I'm sure with a bit of internet searching you can find it. I would guess the column he wrote was done roughly 4-8 months ago. Yeah, I know that's not super helpful, but for sure it wasn't very long ago...

WillBrink
07-12-15, 11:27
I have been a published author in a variety of genres, print and web, many languages, etc, for decades (pre web) and the answer to all your Q is "it depends"

There's really no way to give you any useful intel on that as "it depends" on far too many variables. I can say, vast majority of writers out there do it for the love of it, as for all but a fraction, it's no way to make a decent living. Basic answer is: Find publications you want to write for, find out what their specific recs are for it, and start submitting your stuff. See what happens.

Stickman
07-22-15, 19:11
JB,

Your background becomes your credibility with writing, especially at the start of things. I think most people who write for magazines will agree the money isn't great, I think most also agree the internet has changed a lot of things.

Print isn't dead by a long shot, but it isn't going to ever been the same as it was 20 years ago.

There is money in blogging, but again, your background/ street cred plays a large part. Blogs, much like print work would certainly appreciate you, as well as desire you more, if you were good with a camera. Everyone thinks they can write, and everyone thinks they are a photographer, if you don't believe me, check out the picture threads on any firearm board and watch how many people claim to be photographers, writers, professional reviewers etc. It is easy to see who the "writers" / "reviewers" are because they are always trying to get you to click their links. The photographers have only one style of pic they can shoot, and infrequently post good pictures. None of this makes those people bad, but it shows my point.

Blogs that are paying tend to seek people out. Many magazines also seek out, or recruit the same way.

Are you looking for assignments? If so, that isn't a great way to start unless you have a bunch of already published work in the field. If you are looking to write about things for submittal, make sure it is a brand new item as old content doesn't sell. Without inside contacts, this may be hard.

Editors may want a very specific amount of words, this is to aid in the overall layout. However, this isn't really as much of an issue with blogs. Even with print work, things can vary. I did an article where it was intended to be only a few pages, but based off the content and pictures, it turned into a ten page feature. You never know what will happen, but you can always submit two versions of your article if you are passionate about something.

I'm not sure that any of the above helps or not, these are just some observations.