PDA

View Full Version : A good day

Sam
07-11-15, 19:50
Today there was an event at a local airfield where private pilots fly in and display their aircrafts, activities for the whole family, dogs for adoption, antique sports cars, food and helicopter rides ! For $65 one can ride in one of two Hueys helicopters for about 15 minutes. It was the main attraction for the day, it was for us. It's been approximately 42 years since I last rode in one. That was a time that I still remember to this day. Flying in a fully armed UH-1 with my dad and a few others was a treat not many kids got to do.

Anyway, after waiting our turn, the short (42 years) finally ended. We were briefed on the safety and possible emergency procedures. We were directed toward our bird (no M60 this time). They asked for volunteers for the machine gunner's seats, I quickly jumped on that chance. We were loaded and strapped in. Not long we were in the air, at first a lazy climb to altitude, then the pilot started to do some cool, roller coaster maneuvering :). Quick dives, hard banks to the right, to the left, zig and zag at altitude and at just above treetops. Before long, our quick fun ride was over.

It was very windy in the gunner's seat, much more than on the main bench. As I wear prescription glasses, I had to hold on to it as I thought it was going to get sucked out. The crew warned us not to wear our baseball caps, so I had to take off my Army Chief hat and thread it through my belt, it was a wise move. I couldn't believe how much turbulence and bumpy it was, I couldn't help thinking how does a door gunner manage to hit anything. Or those spec ops snipers that fly in Blackhawks and having to engaging targets on the ground with their rifles.

Here is a picture of our bird as it was coming in from a ride, getting ready to land and drop off passengers.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/20150711_113209.jpg

C-grunt
07-11-15, 20:01
Nice. That would be so cool.

Vandal
07-11-15, 22:37
I had a chance to ride in a Huey out of Fairchild AFB when I was a ROTC cadet in college. It was a great experience seeing first hand what the guys in Vietnam rode in to battle. Riding in the gunner's seat I agree with Sam, I'm not sure how they did their jobs so well.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-12-15, 01:32
Was Ride of the Valkyries playing in your head?

AKDoug
07-12-15, 04:13
I had a chance to ride in a Huey out of Fairchild AFB when I was a ROTC cadet in college. It was a great experience seeing first hand what the guys in Vietnam rode in to battle. Riding in the gunner's seat I agree with Sam, I'm not sure how they did their jobs so well.

I was also an ROTC cadet at Idaho. I loved those "incentive" flights. Never got to ride in a Huey, but aerial refueling F-4s was a hoot.

Eurodriver
07-12-15, 05:53
Sam, I thought you were like 30???

cinco
07-12-15, 05:59
Great story and happy you had such a great day with family! It makes me wish I was there .

Sam
07-12-15, 09:06
Was Ride of the Valkyries playing in your head?

No, a more personal and real event went through my head.

Sam
07-12-15, 09:08
Great story and happy you had such a great day with family! It makes me wish I was there .

If you're close to Georgia, they do it annually:

http://www.crackerflyin.com/

Sam
07-12-15, 09:09
Sam, I thought you were like 30???

Does that mean I'm childish? LOL

Eurodriver
07-12-15, 09:14
Does that mean I'm childish? LOL

Childish? Haha, what would that make me? What I meant was you are young at heart!

Sam
07-12-15, 09:26
Childish? Haha, what would that make me? What I meant was you are young at heart!

Just messing with you. Thanks. I don't feel young in any way, too many miles and scars accumulated, physically and otherwise.

cinco
07-12-15, 09:41
If you're close to Georgia, they do it annually:

http://www.crackerflyin.com/

"Cracker Fly In" - LOLZ. How so un-PC. Ha ha.

Had a chance to fly on the Nine-O-Nine B17 years ago, but the couple hundred dollar fee was too steep for a youngster (then). Still was awfully cool to climb around inside.

Seems you got a heck of bargain on your ride!

Sam
07-12-15, 17:17
This was about the highest we went, a wide view of the northeast Georgia area:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DSCF1387.JPG

Hard banking to the right, looking straight out (down), seems like you can reach out and touch the barn:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DSCF13901.JPG

Coming in for a smooth landing:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/DSCF1425.JPG

cbx
07-15-15, 07:53
Very cool. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

MBtech
07-15-15, 14:08
Very cool! Great pictures, thanks for sharing. I have only been in a helicopter once about 15 years ago. My wife and I went to her sister's wedding in Gatlinburg, took a scenic tour around the Smoky Mountains and the Gatlinburg area while we were there. Awesome views! I'd love to go do it again sometime. They didn't do any cool banks or zigging and zagging though, that would have been icing on the cake :)

Sam
07-15-15, 14:14
Actually I was shocked that the pilots did what they did. Apparently that was normal for those flights, they've done it many years. We did have to sign the liability forms. But in this age of sue everybody for everything over nothing, I was surprised that first the flew just like they flew the troops with the doors open and they did all those cool manuevers. A regular sight seeing tour helicopter would have never done that.

MBtech
07-15-15, 14:30
Yeah that had to be way cool having the doors open and getting the whole experience like that. We just rode in one of the "fish bowl" looking choppers that had a see through floor. I'd like to find a place to do what you got to do, definitely something to put on the bucket list to do.

cbx
07-15-15, 17:21
Reason for that is because of the insurance for it. When they are on a set scenic flight plan they have a certain set of things are required to do for that. & I really supposed to deviate from it. Go charter one by the hour, and they will do anything you want, but that is why the rate is so much higher too. Different set of rules, so to speak. At least that's the schpeel I got from a guy that was a tour pilot.

SeriousStudent
07-15-15, 20:43
Damn, that is cool. I have not flown on a Huey in over 30 years, I bet it was fun.