PDA

View Full Version : TA-33 and sight picture

bb223
07-12-15, 15:07
Hey guys, quick question, probably a novice level one at that but figured I would ask anyway.

On my TA-33 I see the square outline of what I believe is the prism housing and I see that "5.56F" writing at the bottom of the reticle.

Is seeing the square prism outline normal for the TA-33 or am I looking through it incorrectly?

I only asked because I have not noticed this on the TA31 of TA01NSN unless I position my head and eye unnaturally.

docsherm
07-12-15, 16:40
What distance is your eye from the scope?

bb223
07-12-15, 17:02
About 3 inches.

It's in a tall Trijicon/Bobro mount and rear is in T5 I am shooting NTCH, if that info is useful.

Slippers
07-12-15, 21:36
It sounds like you're a little too close to the ocular lens. If I move my head forward enough I can see the square outline of the prism on my TA33, but it's well outside the image circle. You should position the optic so the image circle extends to the edge of the housing, and the black ring outside the image circle is minimal.

bb223
07-17-15, 01:04
This is pretty much the sight picture I get.

You think it's just a byproduct of the TA-33's flexible eye relief?

Slippers
07-17-15, 05:56
This is pretty much the sight picture I get.

You think it's just a byproduct of the TA-33's flexible eye relief?

Yes, but if that's exactly how it looks when you have a good cheek weld you're also a little too close.

USMC_Anglico
07-17-15, 06:50
You should position the optic so the image circle extends to the edge of the housing, and the black ring outside the image circle is minimal.

Exactly, this goes almost universally for any optic

bb223
07-17-15, 19:16
Alright cool thanks for the info guys.

I'll play around with head position til it looks perfect, I think I am unnecessarily shooting NTCH out of habit and that's what my issue is.