PDA

View Full Version : S&W MP Durability Compared to Glock

squid8286
07-12-15, 17:31
I recently was reading the thread "The M&P Series So Far," and from what I can gather, they aren't real well liked, at least compared to the Glock Series. I bought a 2012 manufactured M&P9 recently, becuase I don't like the grip angle of the Glock. I previously owned a 22 and a 21. I like what I see so far in the M&P. It points much more naturally (for me at least) than a Glock. For those here that have owned both the M&P and the Glock, how does the M&P hold up durability-wise compared to it's Glock counterpart in areas like parts breakage, etc.?

GregP220
07-12-15, 17:57
I owned an M&P 9 and I chalk up my selling it to S&W cranking out some lemons. It was a 2010 gun. I have to admit to being tempted to try a new production M&P 9.

When you get one that shoots well you're probably good to go and there are people that I know of that have shot over 20,000 rounds without reporting problems. That is more than 99% of shooters will ever put through their pistols.

Enjoy it.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/998 < good read on the subject

squid8286
07-12-15, 18:12
Mine came with the Apex Carry/Duty mod already performed on it, and it has a pretty good trigger. I had a few light primer strikes with some old Winchester military ammo that I bough years ago. This stuff was VERY hot. Doubt I'll be using it again for that reason alone. I guess it is was intended for SMG use. I bought a new factory striker assy. and put it in just in case it had had a light striker spring installed before I got ahold of it. I took it to the range yesterday and ran 75 rounds of Winchester 115 ball "White Box" and 75 rounds of Federal 115 JHP (9BP) thru it and experienced no further problems. Seems like it is good to go now. I have bought some spare parts of the most likely stuff I think would break. Thanks for your input and the link. Exactly what I was looking for!

MegademiC
07-12-15, 18:13
I've got a few thousand rounds through mine so far, no issues. I use it hard and it just goes.

Tx_Aggie
07-12-15, 18:27
I have a new production M&P 9FS with just over 1000 rounds through it so far (mostly Winchester White Box and Blazer), not a single hiccup or malfunction. The only changes I've made to the pistol are installing an Apex Duty/Carry trigger kit and a set of Heinie Straight 8 sights. Like MegademiC said, it just runs. I also haven't noticed any of the accuracy issues that plagued some of the earlier pistols.

Beef15
07-12-15, 19:48
Local PD uses them, I converse with officers five days a week, talk guns on occasion, they didn't complain about the 40, and only a few about the 9 just because it was a mandated change, no regular failure stories.

HP had them in 357 Sig. They complained about failures of all sorts. Don't think it is even offered anymore.

squid8286
07-12-15, 19:59
Charlotte PD uses the M&P 40. The one officer I spoke to said they were well-liked.

jmoney
07-13-15, 06:58
I shoot at least 300 rounds through mine weekly at IDPA or just out the range. I have done so for several years now. Still runs like a champ. After grant put in a hand fitted barrel it is also unbelievably accurate. Don't think I have ever had a malfunction besides the first 100 rounds, or the occasionally light primer strike, and that is only when the gun is very very dirty.

Jaysop
07-13-15, 07:52
You can read Glock threads and think the same thing.
As someone who has owned both I prefered the M&P for a while and still have it. I wish I would of kept the Glock only for the size. I don't shoot the M&P much though, I much prefer the VP9 over both.

wahoo95
07-13-15, 07:54
Well over 10k through mine and only problem I've had is recently replacing a long overdue striker assembly which was causing light strikes. Several of the guys I shoot with also have M&Ps with over 10k through them and no issues.

I started out on Glocks and up until getting my Shield a couple years ago daily carried a G27 since 1996. Never had any issues from my G27 but did have issues with my G21 and G23's locking the slide back during strings of fire. I won't full attribute that to the pistols and instead saw it simply as incompatibility with my hand and grip. All of my Glocks would cut my right hand too with slide bite. Never an issue with my left though.

My preference is for the M&Ps because mine have been reliable and I simply shoot them better.

I see them as comparable so I always recommend people buy the one they shoot best.

sheperd80
07-13-15, 08:37
I have about 4k rds through a 2012 model. It has the original iffy barrel in it (which has since been redesigned by s&w). It has been incredibly reliable. I had a few light strikes when i first got it on fiocci ammo but discovered the striker channel was full of gunk, preventing the firing pin from coming out far enough to ignite the hard primers. A quick cleaning inside the tube and it hasnt happened since.

As far as accuracy with the old barrel goes, its great 9 rds out of 10 but i can pretty much count on 1 or 2 flyers per california mag regardless of ammo type.

If ur LGS doesnt mind u stripping the slide... check to make sure the chamber has 2 dimples on the underside indicating the new and improved barrel.

CWM11B
07-13-15, 17:14
Local PD uses them, I converse with officers five days a week, talk guns on occasion, they didn't complain about the 40, and only a few about the 9 just because it was a mandated change, no regular failure stories.

HP had them in 357 Sig. They complained about failures of all sorts. Don't think it is even offered anymore.

Interesting. Where are you located? Sounds like you are talking to folks I know. We have the M&P and recently (two years ago) went to the 9 from 40. No major issues with either. My M&P 9 has over 20,000 rounds through it with no parts failures or malfunctions I can recall. Ammunition has been a mix of Speer 147 GDHP, Lawmen 147 TMJ, Winchester WB 147 (which SUCKED with numerous failures to fire) and a ton of Blazer 147 TMJ. Ours, in both calibers, have been at least as reliable as Glocks. The 40s had no issues with any ammo/light mounted pistols which has not been the case with the G22.

wahoo95
07-13-15, 17:41

I always felt the dead trigger issues NCSHP had with their 357sigs was due to them being earlier models which had the smaller seat springs. The upgraded larger seat housing and spring eliminated the dead trigger issues but they never upgraded theirs when the karts became available. Still surprised the S&W Rep didn't make that change before losing the contract.

ritepath
07-13-15, 18:53
My 9c (2009) never failed in 4 or 5k rounds....it just run perfect. My 2yo Shield has been bullet proof perfect so far for almost 4000 rounds...

The two Glocks I've owned were perfect also, but then again so have my Sigs and even one lowly P89. Reliability isn't rocket science, it's not even that hard to get from a cheap gun if you have any ability to maintain a mechanical device. I know some people don't want to admit there are brands other than glock, much less reliable brands, but my p89 has been perfect since I bought it new in 1984 thousands and thousands of rounds....I wouldn't expect anything less from my M&Ps and so far I haven't had to.

That being said, I love my CZs...(they're not glocks either)

squid8286
07-13-15, 19:13
I appreciate all the input. I am pretty happy wih the pistol so far. Think I made a good purchase.

Beef15
07-13-15, 19:31
Interesting. Where are you located? Sounds like you are talking to folks I know. We have the M&P and recently (two years ago) went to the 9 from 40. No major issues with either. My M&P 9 has over 20,000 rounds through it with no parts failures or malfunctions I can recall. Ammunition has been a mix of Speer 147 GDHP, Lawmen 147 TMJ, Winchester WB 147 (which SUCKED with numerous failures to fire) and a ton of Blazer 147 TMJ. Ours, in both calibers, have been at least as reliable as Glocks. The 40s had no issues with any ammo/light mounted pistols which has not been the case with the G22.
W-S, can't recall exactly when the change took place, doesn't seem like it was quite two years ago.

Seems dead trigger was the main issue but not the only one in .357, the Troopers I spoke with said S&W tried a few fixes.

CWM11B
07-13-15, 21:17
Thought so. It was two years ago. I am very up to speed on that. I have not heard any complaints, but then again, you cannot please everyone. Plus the average copper does not necessarily understand all that goes in to a large procurement. Im pretty familiar with HPs issues. You get a mixed bag when talking to their guys. Their cartridge choice is pretty tough on pistols.

There were complaints with .40, but not many. The 9mm has been very well received.

Evan_O
07-13-15, 21:35
If ur LGS doesnt mind u stripping the slide... check to make sure the chamber has 2 dimples on the underside indicating the new and improved barrel.

Sheperd, where exactly would one look for these 2 dimples?

Thanks

sheperd80
07-13-15, 22:14
Sheperd, where exactly would one look for these 2 dimples?

Thanks
They are located on the bottom side of the chamber. Heres an interesting article on the subject with a pic. The article is a couple years old and shows a single dimpled barrel. I cant seem to find the article about the newer 2 dimpled barrel but apparently both are an improvement over the original.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3719

Watrdawg
07-14-15, 07:19
I own a M&P 45 Middy a G17 and a G19. All 3 weapons have at least 5K rounds through them. All in a fairly short period of time. I carry either the G19 or the 45 Middy. The most accurate of the bunch is the M&P. As far as durability is concerned neither of the three has given me any real problems. The Glocks all flung brass back into my face but after replacing the extractors and ejectors that problem was fixed. I've never has a single issue with my M&P. If someone said I absolutely had to get rid of one of the three it would be the G17. The G19 and the M&P are much easier for me to conceal and I only use the G17 as a training weapon. I don't have any experience with the M&P 9's so I can't make a comparison.

KevinB
07-14-15, 07:53
I have a M&P CORE with 39,000 rounds.
No issues in the first 18k - in the last few I realized I really should be replacing recoil springs and other springs when the manufacturer says ;)
2 other M&P FS guns each around 5k -- one has erratic accuracy with some brands of ammo -- but has no issues with my Carry Load.

My wife has a Shield that has been erratic for reliability - to mean it has none - round count just north of 750. If we had noticed it earlier it would have gone back to Smith - as it "feels wrong" as the slide feels like it is rubbing on something during travel - but cannot ID anything that shows abnormal wear.
My Sheild has not had any issues with around 2,500 rds

Curly
07-14-15, 08:24
My 2010 era M&P9 saw about 9-10K rounds before I went back to a Glock. It never malfunctioned or had a parts failure, but it did have accuracy issues when out past 35+ yards.

DirectTo
07-14-15, 14:27
I own several Glocks (9mm and .40) and M&Ps (.40 and .357) and haven't had a single issue with any of them except extraction issues on an old trade in Gen 2 G17. A couple of the Glocks and one of the M&P40s have over 10k, one over 18K. I carry a G19 but use an M&P40 as a home defense gun. All are stock aside from night sights, factory extended slide locks on the Glocks, and removing mag disconnects on the M&Ps.

I've gone solely to striker-fired guns for the same pull every shot and close enough feeling between the two brands.

HCM
07-14-15, 18:05
I
They are located on the bottom side of the chamber. Heres an interesting article on the subject with a pic. The article is a couple years old and shows a single dimpled barrel. I cant seem to find the article about the newer 2 dimpled barrel but apparently both are an improvement over the original.

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3719

The dimples are not intentional markings - they are the byproduct of hardness testing. That's why some have one dimple vs two.

TH Moxy
07-14-15, 18:26
Looking into getting one. Have been a metal pistol shooter until I got into polymer with the XD series (not that popular, I know). Haven't shot the M&P yet, but Ido like the look and feel of it when I get to molest them in the shop.

squid8286
07-15-15, 20:21
Most of the replies here confirm what I suspected, but didn't really know. The M&P is comparable to the Glock in most respects. Glad to know that, because I respect the Glock for what it is, an excellent tool. Just doesn't fit me quite right. I'm not really into polymer-framed guns, but I wanted something simple and reliable for SHTF use. A friend said to me "You need at least one Plastic Pistol." So now I have one. I am happy with it, and the info here makes me glad I got it. Thanks!

Fordtough25
07-16-15, 09:48
I own both and enjoy both, at this point in time I would say buy whichever fits your hand better. Choot em!

rrich1
07-20-15, 23:52
I switched from a g22 to an m&p40 last year for duty. I wish I would have switched sooner. My scores went up and it angles much more naturally for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Cincinnatus
07-21-15, 00:20
I have a M&P CORE with 39,000 rounds.
No issues in the first 18k - in the last few I realized I really should be replacing recoil springs and other springs when the manufacturer says ;)
2 other M&P FS guns each around 5k -- one has erratic accuracy with some brands of ammo -- but has no issues with my Carry Load.

My wife has a Shield that has been erratic for reliability - to mean it has none - round count just north of 750. If we had noticed it earlier it would have gone back to Smith - as it "feels wrong" as the slide feels like it is rubbing on something during travel - but cannot ID anything that shows abnormal wear.
My Sheild has not had any issues with around 2,500 rds

39,000 is very impressive. Always glad to see you input, Kevin.

rebelsooner
12-09-15, 21:20
Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd throw my opinion in the ring here.

I've been looking to get a into a new platform and have been trying to figure out what it is I want. I was convinced I was going to get the sig p320 until today.

I compared my m&p (with apex FSS) to the sig and the glock. I have been a fan of the m&p for a while but have had a few issues, accuracy being one of them. The easy fix is to swap the barrel and move on. Problem is I want to have a few pistols with the same setup and it gets expensive with the m&p series. In terms of ergonomics, it's my favorite.

Shot the sig, liked the fit and feel and accuracy but it was jumping around in my hand after each shot and I was constantly adjusting my grip. Then I switched to the glock.....I must admit, I've hated them for so long and even owned one once and sold it. The grip feels wrong and uncomfortable. That is until I shot it. My groupings and shot placement were amazing compared to my m&p. The results should have been reversed. My m&p, with the apex FSS trigger, which I've put thousands of rounds through were constantly left (probably me) and then I'd swap to the glock and they were centered with tighter groupings...I was dumbfounded.

I am now going to buy a G17 Gen4 and run it and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mizer67
12-10-15, 07:54
I had an early FS .40 S&W M&P I put about 12K through. I had some light strikes, a few failures to reset and broke a slide release. I had a .40 C that didn't have any issues, but it had a low round count. They had the smaller sear spring, old strikers, etc.

I had a couple 2009-2010 era 9mms, a FS I shot heavily (15K+) and a Pro. Both had severe accuracy issues at 25 yards. I sold the Pro relatively quickly after I found it was barn-door accurate at 25. The FS I had a bunch of Apex goodies in so I held onto it for a long time. Eventually took a loss when the Apex barrel was vaporware for ~4 years. The cut in the slide on the FS for the rear sight dovetail was out of spec. Front sight paint shot out of both early on. I believe the slide was out of spec on the FS as well. Still had some other issues too.

I hope their new guns are better than the garbage they were putting out early on, but their shoddy machining and quality would make me hesitant before jumping back into the M&P world.

yhmspecter
12-11-15, 18:41
I have an 07 production M&P9 with north of 25k with no part replacement other then a recoil spring, once. It did have some issues with extraction of spent cases but scraping the extractor claw and removing the crap fixed that issue. I has had an Apex duty kit as well as the RAM and it has always shot good for me. I went to Glock for a short time but the M&P shoots better for me. It has been a good pistol through out the years I have been shooting it, I am doing an Apex Barrel and Flat FSS kit

zibby43
12-11-15, 23:57
I owned an M&P 9 and I chalk up my selling it to S&W cranking out some lemons.

I really, really wanted to like the M&P series. A few years ago, I bought two (M&P 9 and Shield). Both the full size M&P 9 and the Shield felt great in my hands.

Sadly, I had to send both guns back to S&W for repairs.

Out of the box, the M&P 9 produced non-stop light strikes and failures to feed. I experienced more malfunctions than rounds on target. Furthermore, the particular specimen I had was peculiarly inaccurate. The groupings were horrid. I pulled out my P229 just to make sure I wasn't having an off day (I wasn't . . . the M&P 9 was though).

Although S&W customer service handled the situation admirably, I never fully trusted the pistol. Consequently, I sold it.

I gave the Shield a try (was able to snag one of the early production run models). This gun had zero malfunctions and was far more accurate than my previous full-size M&P (baffling) but during my first range session, the front sight dot "fell out."

In short, I like the way the M&P handguns look and feel. They simply did not perform for me. Sadly, those two lemons made me abort my M&P experiment for a while.

Rotorhead84
12-12-15, 11:03
M&P9 4" - My first M&P. I had to file quite a bit of material out of the magwell to get empty mags to drop free. Trigger was mush, replaced with apex.

Runs like a raped ape though. When I bought it several years ago either I didn't know about USA glocks or USA glocks weren't available yet. Not sure which. But I bought the S&W because it was made in the USA. Don't have a lot of experience with glocks, but my brother has had a few and I like the M&P better, but I'd still buy a USA made glock.

M&P Shield - I have 2. Great guns. Zero issues.

jmoore
12-12-15, 13:31
Old 1911 shooter here.
Tried an M&P 9 a few years back, then sold it.
Great ergos compared to the Glocks I was shooting at the time.
Actually made the Glock look accurate!!!
Really dislike the fact it would auto-forward most of the time on reloads. Coming from 1911s which never auto-forwarded, and Glocks that rarely did it - - decided to get rid of it.
So - can't speak to the long term reliabilty, just ranked it below a Glock in general.
john

rebelsooner
12-13-15, 20:18
Old 1911 shooter here.
Tried an M&P 9 a few years back, then sold it.
Great ergos compared to the Glocks I was shooting at the time.
Actually made the Glock look accurate!!!
Really dislike the fact it would auto-forward most of the time on reloads. Coming from 1911s which never auto-forwarded, and Glocks that rarely did it - - decided to get rid of it.
So - can't speak to the long term reliabilty, just ranked it below a Glock in general.
john

I also came from the 1911 and that was one of my biggest reasons for getting the m&p. I agree with your assessment and will be getting a new G17.
Now my debate is gen 3 vs gen 4....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCSU74
12-14-15, 14:35
I recently was reading the thread "The M&P Series So Far," and from what I can gather, they aren't real well liked, at least compared to the Glock Series. I bought a 2012 manufactured M&P9 recently, becuase I don't like the grip angle of the Glock. I previously owned a 22 and a 21. I like what I see so far in the M&P. It points much more naturally (for me at least) than a Glock. For those here that have owned both the M&P and the Glock, how does the M&P hold up durability-wise compared to it's Glock counterpart in areas like parts breakage, etc.?

M&P is a POS compared to Glock. Before being forced into one for work I'd never experienced a malfunction with my duty gun. M&P completely different story..

akssdude
12-14-15, 16:59
Anyone have a Shield that has had issues with getting the slide to stay locked back? I got the 9mm version (thumb safety model), and when I go to bring the slide back all the way and then lock it in place, it's a struggle and doesn't want to engage half the time. I am wondering what would cause this?

notorious_ar15
12-14-15, 19:56
Anyone have a Shield that has had issues with getting the slide to stay locked back? I got the 9mm version (thumb safety model), and when I go to bring the slide back all the way and then lock it in place, it's a struggle and doesn't want to engage half the time. I am wondering what would cause this?

A family member's did this when new. Non-TS model though. Difficult at first, so used an empty mag to lock slide back, but slide release has gotten easier as pistol breaks in.

Pi3
12-19-15, 19:48
So, ft it's reliable, acceptably accurate & doesn't auto forward is it good to go?

MegademiC
12-19-15, 21:47
So, ft it's reliable, acceptably accurate & doesn't auto forward is it good to go?

Yes. Fwiw, the only gun I accidentally auto forward was a cz. If shot 3 mp and none gave me an issue of autoforewading.

Mrgunsngear
12-20-15, 12:10

I'd say that's true for any gun

Rotorhead84
12-22-15, 23:49
M&P is a POS compared to Glock. Before being forced into one for work I'd never experienced a malfunction with my duty gun. M&P completely different story..

I think its a bad idea to make blanket statements based on a single personal experience. I have read stories about factory new glocks literally falling apart after being fired. I have read plenty of other stories about both glocks and M&Ps having issues. No gun is perfect.

What malfunctions were/are you having with the M&P series?

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-25-15, 13:56
Had A fair number of M&ps and Glocks. In my experience the Smith & Wesson is a more reliable gun but the Glock is a more durable gun . I think you're much more likely to break a part with the Smith but much more likely to have random reliability issues with the Glock.

daniel87
12-25-15, 14:26
Had A fair number of M&ps and Glocks. In my experience the Smith & Wesson is a more reliable gun but the Glock is a more durable gun . I think you're much more likely to break a part with the Smith but much more likely to have random reliability issues with the Glock.
That makes no sense.
If a gun breaks a part it is out of action. If a gun has a falure to fire all you do is strip the mag rack the slide enter mag rack the slide and shoot.

both are bad but one. Cannot be used to finish the fight.

my mp has no consistency in the trigger pull. Seems like as the gun Warms or cools the trigger pull and weight changes
Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-25-15, 14:41
Bah, I was typing on my phone while walking. In my experience M&Ps are very reliable on a day to day basis--across a wide variety of Ammo and calibers (9,40,45) Glocks are much more likely to eject erratically, have unusual failures to feed, be sensitive to weapon light weight, etc--all the more so when you move away from the 9mm. On the other hand I cannot recall, in 25 years, having one of my Glocks break(I have probably owned a dozen or more--although it have seen innumerable Glocks break at the range)). They are super bombproof. The first encounter with an M&P I can recall was a dude telling me I was foolish to pay $900 for an HK45(I got one of the first ones) when I could get two M&ps. (I told him he should see how many hi-points I could have bought). Literally the first string of the class he broke a striker. Karma!

daniel87
12-25-15, 14:42
Bah, I was typing on my phone while walking. In my experience M&Ps are very reliable on a day to day basis--across a wide variety of Ammo and calibers (9,40,45) Glocks are much more likely to eject erratically, have unusual failures to feed, be sensitive to weapon light weight, etc--all the more so when you move away from the 9mm. On the other hand I cannot recall, in 25 years, having one of my Glocks break(I have probably owned a dozen or more). They are super bombproof. Literally the first encounter with an M&P I can recall was a dude telling me I was foolish to pay $900 for an HK45(I got one of the first ones) when I could get two M&ps. (I told him he should see how many hi-points I could have bought). Literally the first string of the class he broke a striker. Karma!
That i agree with [emoji2]

Darn phones

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

LoDie
12-31-15, 19:12
As others mentioned, you can find stories about both pistols. I have owned my M&P for close to three years now and I have never had an issue at all. I did upgrade to the Apex trigger and I love the pistol even more.

RWH24
01-01-16, 15:32
As others mentioned, you can find stories about both pistols. I have owned my M&P for close to three years now and I have never had an issue at all. I did upgrade to the Apex trigger and I love the pistol even more.

Same here. When you get to QUOTE; Quality manufactures, the table is pretty level. Sure some lemons and limes slip in the batch
but all should be good. I like my M&P's, current in last 3 years of mfg. My Sigs all the way back to the 90's.
I purchase the pistol that feels good in my hand, I can manipulate the controls and shoot it excellently.
I don't buy Glocks, they are not comfortable to me. PERIOD.

YMMV.

walkin' trails
01-02-16, 11:08
I currently have two Glocks and four M&Ps. The Glocks are a Gen 1 17 and a Gen 4 26. The M&Ps are a FS 45, FS 9, 9c, and a brand new Shield 9. In the middle I've owned and carried, has issued a bunch of 22s and 23, a 27, and two 21s. All are mechanical devices and will likely fail at some point or another if you use them long enough.

With the 9mms and 45s, the only issue has been mag and recoil springs, and the occasional trigger rebound spring. The 40s have been locking block pins and one incident of the slide lock spring breaking in a 23. Mag springs have also been problems in the 40s, and without Wolff around...

My M&P 45 has over 8k rounds. I've had a broken striker (the older black colored version) at 7500 and a lot of dry fire in between. The 9FS is rock solid although 15 & out my groups aren't as tight. The M&Ps ergonomics, for me are superior to Glocks. My 9c had to go back to the factory for feeding & extraction problems early on, but works great now. It's accuracy seems a little better than the FS. The Shield hasn't been fired, but I broke another in before the holidays and went 200 rounds with no hiccups.

Glocks are simpler if you like to do your own maintenance. S&W triggers, at least on mine, are not unacceptable, and out of the box, usually clean up with quality lube and 200 rounds. All my M&Ps are blue label purchases.

I can't say, at this point one is less reliable or durable than the other. Both are good, and if properly maintained in between range sessions, will last longer than most shooters can afford ammo.