PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight / small / low profile gear Thread.

TH Moxy
07-15-15, 07:15
This may not be a thing yet, but I think it will be growing in popularity soon and wanted to see what other people have found or made to meet these needs.

Essentially, if you have any minimalist gear, or small and low profile gear please show it off and write a bit about it.

Such as:

Plate Carriers
Chest rigs
Battle Belts
Backpacks
etc.

For me, I got into the whole survival / Tac life but soon found it all impractical to go to the range looking overly super soldiery. So, I started looking to replace each item with something more low key yet still providing the function I needed it to. I went from a Mayflower APC to a Slick plate carrier since I only needed it for protection. I use a belt for load bearing. Switched colors from multicam / tan to more ranger green / foliage and grey which (to me) seem to draw less .mil attention and look more civilian (this is debatable I know). Got rid of my plate carrier back packs and overt molle packs and went with normal backpacks.

Anyways, I think y'all got the point. I'll throw some pics up later. Look forward to see what y'all think and have to add.

Leftie
07-15-15, 19:16
Honestly, I've lived in a lot of different places in the world and I've found that knowing your surroundings/populations/languages will do more for you than anything that you can purchase.

Learning how to anticipate, recognize and avoid potential problems is the best advice I have, as well as finding simple, every day pieces of kit that are of use. It comes down to being inventive and finding innovative solutions that you can integrate into everyday life. I live in a place where you can pick out .mil like a sore thumb (even with the foliage and grey). Sometimes a plaid shirt and a pair of custom jeans will give you just what you need to thrive and stay low profile.

Things I really like are as follows:

Paracord, Kevlar and Technora cord (All relatively low pro when shoved into pockets) 25 feet or so is a good length

First Spear Line One Belt- I've taken this belt damned near everywhere for the past two years, and no one has questioned it domestically and abroad. It also holds my pants up nicely

Bic lighter- they are prolific and cheap- they also don't have issues with evaporation like Zippos do.

Good, comfortable dress shoes/boots- Embrace your inner hipster and get a pair of good ones. Form meets function and as an added bonus, you can also replace the laces with paracord, Kevlar or Technora for more cordage.

Volund Gear Belts- Volund Gear makes some great lower profile belts that bear the weight of a pistol extremely well, and while they are a bit more "tactical" in nature, I've not heard any remarks when I've worn mine.

Just a couple thoughts.