PDA

View Full Version : LMT MWS .308 with suppressor

khc3
07-16-15, 13:16
I have been thinking about getting a LMT MWS in .308 and was planning to use it at least occasionally with the .30 cal suppressor I have for my 300BLK sbr.

I have read quite a few posts on various websites referring to functioning issues while using a suppressor, to the point that the gun becomes unreliable, but it isn't obvious whether those issues are barrel length/ammo/suppressor dependent or are common to the MWS 308 system as a whole.

I would like to keep the rifle stock, if I buy it, and am not interested in trying aftermarket parts, adj gas blocks, buffers, etc.

If those of you who have used a MWS in .308 with a suppressor could share your findings, it would help me in my purchasing decision.

Thanks!

Koshinn
07-16-15, 15:42
I have been thinking about getting a LMT MWS in .308 and was planning to use it at least occasionally with the .30 cal suppressor I have for my 300BLK sbr.

I have read quite a few posts on various websites referring to functioning issues while using a suppressor, to the point that the gun becomes unreliable, but it isn't obvious whether those issues are barrel length/ammo/suppressor dependent or are common to the MWS 308 system as a whole.

I would like to keep the rifle stock, if I buy it, and am not interested in trying aftermarket parts, adj gas blocks, buffers, etc.

If those of you who have used a MWS in .308 with a suppressor could share your findings, it would help me in my purchasing decision.

Thanks!

Haven't had any problems. Then again I might see how they could develop, as a 16" MWS is already over-gassed and adding a suppressor just exacerbates the situation.

TXBK
07-16-15, 15:46
I have not experienced a single issue using a Specwar and quality ammo with a stock 16" MWS. Ammo used is mostly 175 and 168 gr. FGMM, but some 147 gr WWB. Not that I've been looking, but I don't recall hearing of any issues the MWS is having with suppressor use.

khc3
07-16-15, 21:36
Thanks for the replies. I probably overstated it by saying quite a few posts, more like a couple.

YO_Doc
07-17-15, 14:31
I have not had any issues with my MWS with either a 16" CL barrel or with a 20" SS barrel. Heck I don't recall the last time that I shot it without a can on her.

khc3
07-17-15, 21:07
Thanks, which suppressor are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

BOOSTjunkie
07-18-15, 07:11

Thanks!

What functioning issues are you referring to? At the end of the day adding a suppressor to the mix will increase your bolt speed so I would imagine the functioning issues would be related to excessive bolt speed.

If you are looking for an sbr type weapon that you plan on shooting mostly sub with a can then the 300 blk wins hands down. You are just wasting case capacity in the 308 at that point.

If you are looking for more of a precision rifle type weapon to take shots out to longer range then I would say a 308.

For something that is all round though I would do the 300 blk as ballistics in that cartridge at super sonic speeds is decent.

When all is said and done the 308 will be able to push a heavier bullet faster for longer simply due to case capacity.

domestique
07-21-15, 09:52
I only shoot my LM8MWS suppressed (14.5", 16", 18" 20") it shoots great regardless.

I have, and do recommend Heavy Buffers XH carbine buffer. It's a simple swap, and returned my LMT to the same ejection pattern as it was unsuppressed.

For the record: I use a Surefire SOCOM762-RC which has low back pressure compared top some other cans. Obviously prepare for the action being dirtier. I highly recommend fireclean.

tom12.7
07-21-15, 15:48
When adding a can to the equation, different systems do act differently. The issues come up when the different ones require a wider span in reciprocating mass than others. Most would say a narrower span of mass required would reduce issues if the mass doesn't change as much between them could increase the range of proper operation. That in by no way means that a system requires no change in reciprocating mass with a possible change like this, just a reduced range in change in mass. About any change in mass like this would be needed to satisfy the balance of mass and spring to insure reliable function. In systems that require the higher mass differences, it would be wise to look at the system in general to see if other changes could potentially improve those and reduce the range of changes.

ETA: Wow, I really type worse than I thought.

Boba Fett v2
07-21-15, 19:31
When adding a can to the equation, different systems do act differently. The issues come up when the different ones require a wider span in reciprocating mass than others. Most would say a narrower span of mass required would reduce issues if the mass doesn't change as much between them could increase the range of proper operation. That in by no way means that a system requires no change in reciprocating mass with a possible change like this, just a reduced range in change in mass. About any change in mass like this would be needed to satisfy the balance of mass and spring to insure reliable function. In systems that require the higher mass differences, it would be wise to look at the system in general to see if other changes could potentially improve those and reduce the range of changes.

ETA: Wow, I really type worse than I thought.

Tom, you lost me, bro.

tom12.7
07-21-15, 22:53
The 16" LMT MWS in .308 may not be the "ideal" suppressor host in it"s current configuration. It may do well when dedicated to it, and it can, depending on the devices used. That doesn't mean a narrower span could not be had, just a reference to things that may come into play.

YO_Doc
08-05-15, 15:44
I run an AAC 762sdn on my MWS. A while back I changed to the XH buffer as well and have noticed that the weapon stays cleaner now than before the switch.

Zhivago99
08-07-15, 23:29
I have a Silencerco Omega in jail right now and I'm interested in the heavy buffer for my MWS. I'm just wondering why you'd use the Carbine buffer instead of the rifle buffer. I have a Magpul UBR on my MWS.

domestique
08-08-15, 07:05
Because LMT doesn't use a full size rifle extension tube, but it is longer then a regular AR15 tube. It's able to use a carbine buffer because the BCG is obviously longer then an AR15 BCG.

Doesn't the UBR come with it's own buffer tube? I would send Slash an email over at Heavy Buffers to confirm which buffer and spring length you need.... I personally have no experience with the UBR.

Zhivago99
08-08-15, 11:51
I seem to have suffered a spectacular brain fart, that makes total sense. I don't recall my UBR coming with a buffer but I'll contact slash and see what he says.