PDA

View Full Version : Primary Arms "Platinum" 1-8x24 information

Rekkr870
07-18-15, 08:40
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had anymore information on Primary Arms' new 1-8 optic? This seems to be their entry into the higher end optics class; the optic is made in Japan. Link below.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Platinum_Series_1_8X24_Front_Focal_Pl_p/pa1-8x24ffp-ad-mil.htm

SomeOtherGuy
07-20-15, 12:12
Wow, I never thought I would see PA offering a $1300 scope under their own name. Quite a jump from their start in $80 Chinese red dots. But the specs look very solid, and the reticle, while definitely not "revolutionary" like their narrative says, looks useful.

I'll be waiting to read reviews from people who buy the first batch. At the moment I can't see buying this vs. a Vortex Razor 1-6x with a lifetime warranty and more established reputation, but maybe things will look different in a year.

Rekkr870
07-20-15, 12:29
Wow, I never thought I would see PA offering a $1300 scope under their own name. Quite a jump from their start in $80 Chinese red dots. But the specs look very solid, and the reticle, while definitely not "revolutionary" like their narrative says, looks useful.

I'll be waiting to read reviews from people who buy the first batch. At the moment I can't see buying this vs. a Vortex Razor 1-6x with a lifetime warranty and more established reputation, but maybe things will look different in a year.
Those are my thoughts as well. However, this will be an interesting introduction for them into the higher end class of scopes. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't excited to see a review of one. Who knows, this could be a solid piece of glass. On the other hand, it could be shit.

We live in great time for scopes and rifles.

TAZ
07-20-15, 21:11
In the same boat. That is an exponential leap in pricing for them. I'm hoping they bring the mil reticle to the 1-6 variant and keep the price where it's at. Given that other 1-8's run in the 2k and above range at 1300 it's a good price, but it's still a lot of cash. Definitely interested in reading some reviews.

BC98
07-20-15, 23:07
If the new optic is coming out of Japan, it's likely leaps and bounds ahead of PA's Chinese-made offerings. Bushnell and Weaver's high-end lines also come out of Japan and PA scopes are likely coming from the same factory. $1300 is probably a good price.

joedirt199
07-21-15, 07:13
PA has a stellar reputation and I see no problems their policy on returns or covering warranties. They bend over backwards for the customer and try everyhing to make it right. With their popularity they will find customers for this scope.

WS6
07-21-15, 08:06
Multiple broken RDS from PA in my past. They honored the warranty like a pro, and I am not at all equating this scope with those optics, but I won't lie and say that those RDS failings have not colored my connotation.

SomeOtherGuy
07-21-15, 08:23
At that price point most companies offer a lifetime warranty, and the few that don't put in writing are still known for having generous service policies. Although it looks like a good deal, I don't know if it's good enough when others in its price range have a lifetime warranty and this PA scope has a 5-year warranty. PA may want to reconsider that part of their offering.

Also curious why it's made of A5056 aluminum instead of the common 6061. A quick read on A5056 indicates that it has more magnesium content, is not heat treatable, but has excellent strength and corrosion resistance in its only form.

B Cart
07-21-15, 10:38
I'm a big fan of the PA 1-6 scopes (currently have two that have been fantastic), however in this price range, I don't know if I could reasonably choose this over the proven Vortex Razor HD 1-6 with lifetime warranty. I'm sure these will be awesome, but I wish they could have brought them in a little cheaper than the Razor. If they could bring this scope to market in the $800-1,000 range, they would probably sell a ton of them.

JoshNC
07-21-15, 11:48
Interesting reticle. At that price point I would rather spend another $600 on a Kahles k16i.

Singlestack Wonder
07-21-15, 22:59
PA has a stellar reputation and I see no problems their policy on returns or covering warranties. They bend over backwards for the customer and try everyhing to make it right. With their popularity they will find customers for this scope.

Of course the best warranties are the ones one doesn't have to use.....

joedirt199
07-22-15, 07:33
True that. I ordered a reddot a while back and when it arrived I didn't like how the emitter was so high and interferred with the iron sights. Called them up and got a return label and got the new sight with lower mountd emitter. No restocking fee or having to pay for shipping. I also somehow got a credit somewhere down the road as I was able to order a set of magpul offset folder sights for practically nothing.

marsh1
08-02-15, 13:44
I'm a big fan of the PA 1-6 scopes (currently have two that have been fantastic), however in this price range, I don't know if I could reasonably choose this over the proven Vortex Razor HD 1-6 with lifetime warranty. I'm sure these will be awesome, but I wish they could have brought them in a little cheaper than the Razor. If they could bring this scope to market in the $800-1,000 range, they would probably sell a ton of them.

I bet we would but no way to make that happen. This scope is comparable in quality to scopes selling for $2,000+. 1-8X with true 1X is an expensive scope to make.

henschman
08-02-15, 18:40
I really like their ACSS reticle (not the one the OP linked, but the other version) for a battle rifle type optic. It out-ACOGs the ACOG reticle by adding wind holds, and height as well as width based rangefinding. I have been looking forward to that reticle making it to market in something other than Chinese glass. It is great to see a Jap made 1-8x at this price point, that weighs just a hair more than the Razor 1-6x. The main concern I have is the turrets. Capped turrets are really what I would want on a holdover based optic... I at least hope these exposed target turrets are locking. It sucks when your turrets get moved accidentally in the field. I guess you can always tape them down.

What I would really like to see PA come out with is another Jap made scope with lower magnification, SFP, capped turrets, and the ACSS reticle. That should also allow for a little lower price point. I really don't need 8x for a battle rifle optic... 4 or 6x would be fine... and with that power range, you don't need FFP because it is either run at max power or min. The Trijicon Accupower is really about my ideal battle rifle scope. It would be just a little better if it had wind hold marks, like the ACSS.

Dionysusigma
09-05-15, 16:43
Any updates on these?

marsh1
09-05-15, 16:48
They just started shipping with either an ACSS retile or our new std Mil reticle. I expect reviews soon

Rekkr870
09-05-15, 17:38
They just started shipping with either an ACSS retile or our new std Mil reticle. I expect reviews soon
That's great. I'm not going to lie, I'm excited to hear the reviews on this thing. I have high hopes, hopefully they don't disappoint.