PDA

View Full Version : help with RDS

lazarus09
07-21-08, 23:12
I have summed my choices down to two, and would like to hear some opinions of people that have the experience with them.

I want it mostly for CQ while not sacrificing the ability for mid range shooting. I don't like a magnifier,just keeping it simple.

My two choices are between the leupold mark 4 cq/t and the eotech 553 something

the things i like about the leupold- it works without batteries, it can magnify, and it is leupold (I have trusted leupold on my hunting rifles and binocs for years)

now about the eotech- its battery life is longer (which is what i like about the cqt is that in daylight you dont need battery to use it), its 1moa dot would make it easier to shoot at 100 some odd yards even without magnification.

perhaps the deciding factor for me is can the leupold be used to cowitness good with BUIS?

any and all opinions is greatly appreciated. I'm pretty open to suggestions.
oh, money isn't a factor btw

PRGGodfather
07-22-08, 03:02
Since money isn't a factor, this will do it all for you and give you some definite modularity:

Aimpoint Comp M4S on a LaRue QD tall mount
Aimpoint 3x magnifier on a LaRue QD pivot mount

This is definitely pricey, but one simply cannot go wrong. Rugged and battle-proven. Buy once and cry once, but you will not be disappointed.

Don't bother turning off the M4S, as it runs for 8-10 years depending on AA batteries (lithium preferred). When batteries last that long -- it's almost a non-electronic sight.

The 3x magnifier is there when you need it, but not if you don't.

You may wish to enter "comp M4" or "magnifier" into the search feature to find a number of perspectives for this set-up.

Failure2Stop
07-22-08, 07:49
If those are your only two options, I would go with the EO.

HOWEVER-
There are better solutions, if you are interested.

In the mean-time browse the Optics and Mounts section, the area generally reserved for discussions on optics. . .and mounts ;) .

THIS (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4209) is a good thread concerning optics, including the ones you specifically asked about. It is a little dated, but still relevant.

lazarus09
07-22-08, 19:34
thanks for the information guys. this seems to be the only place i can get any.

yeah that short eye relief won't work, i tend to keep my head a little ways back so....about that aimpoint magnifier and compm3, i'm not sure the both of those will fit on a flat top without a handguard rail, or will it? I have no intentions of putting a quad rail on here and I dislike the weght of other free floated ones. maybe a micro t-1 and a 3x mag? my rifle is a s&w mp-15a, it has the troy folding rear sight so there isn't much room. I don't have the experience with these sights or mounts, so I just don't know how this could fit.
any input from anyone?

PRGGodfather
07-24-08, 06:04
thanks for the information guys. this seems to be the only place i can get any.

about that aimpoint magnifier and compm3, i'm not sure the both of those will fit on a flat top without a handguard rail, or will it? I have no intentions of putting a quad rail on here and I dislike the weght of other free floated ones. maybe a micro t-1 and a 3x mag? my rifle is a s&w mp-15a, it has the troy folding rear sight so there isn't much room. I don't have the experience with these sights or mounts, so I just don't know how this could fit.
any input from anyone?

That 3x magnifier and the Aimpoint RDS will fit. I have the 3x on a LT pivot QD mount, and the Comp M4S on a LT QD mount. They fit just fine on the flat top.

The 3x works okay with my T1, too.