PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Shooting the HK VP9 with Enhanced Trigger

ShooterM4
07-19-15, 20:48
Vickers was using his HK VP9 with Grayguns action work on the trigger for the first time. Granted LAV is a fantastic handgun shooter, but the man was truly/literally ecstatic with his results and we who were watching were blown away.

I was next to him as he was shooting and as he snapped his pics as we were looking at the target I just said, "Holy crap, Larry." He said, "F yes!"

Here is the result of Vickers shooting the VP9 with trigger work for the first time. First 15 shots fired from 10 meters. Shots were taken fairly quickly.

Here is the result of his shooting of the VP9 the next day, with weak hand, first picture, and strong hand only, second picture. The drill was to shoot from 3-6-9 yards, on a random timer beep, as the beep sounded. There was no way to anticipate the shots.

Weak hand:

Strong hand:

FlyingHunter
07-19-15, 20:57
I would say any gun that Vickers has his trigger finger on...instantly becomes an "enhanced trigger". I'm holding out for a smaller version of the VP9 such as a "c" or "sk" model.

ShooterM4
07-19-15, 21:09
LOL, good point.

But, as LAV said, he liked his HK VP9 a lot but the trigger work took it to a whole new level. Said he has never fired a better striker action trigger system.

Here is what he wrote on his Facebook page:

"Today I officially announce that in my opinion the Grayguns tuned HK VP9 is the 'P210 of polymer framed handguns' - for those that know how accurate the SIG P210 is that is a huge compliment. The 2 targets posted are from shooting my VP9 on back to back 3-6-9 drills - first STRONG hand only then WEAK hand only !!! My students know what the 3-6-9 drill is and they will attest these are very impressive targets - let alone one handed. Nuff said."

Glock24/7
07-19-15, 21:15
Same here. H&K has to be bananas if they don't introduce a "C" model at next years shot show.

ShooterM4
07-19-15, 21:17
Word is that HK has sold 67,000 of them and it is going a long way to keeping HK afloat these days.

BufordTJustice
07-19-15, 21:59
Word is that HK has sold 67,000 of them and it is going a long way to keeping HK afloat these days.
A smaller, and mayhaps slightly thinner compact or SK model would easily double their sales. Might even have me looking into one.

jpmuscle
07-20-15, 02:27
The man has skills for sure.

Eurodriver
07-20-15, 05:41

For perspective: Several years ago I met a guy from Lipsey's who said that Glock makes 25,000 G19s every week.

sig1473
07-20-15, 06:23
For perspective: Several years ago I met a guy from Lipsey's who said that Glock makes 25,000 G19s every week.

52 weeks in a year, so 1.3 million Glock 19s made in a year. I'm not buying that and I love my Glocks.

DreadPirateMoyer
07-20-15, 07:01

That sounds right. Assuming their serials are sequential, the first I saw was in the 3,000s and the latest I saw a month or two ago was in the 40,000s.

PatrioticDisorder
07-20-15, 07:47
Ya I shoot my VP9 great, there is a reason it sticks around. I'm looking forward to more VP models being released.

JHC
07-20-15, 08:10
Does anyone know what the trigger pull weighs in this custom configuration?

ShooterM4
07-20-15, 08:14
Around 4 pounds, if I recall what LAV said. The trigger is extremely crisp once the slack is out and the reset is amazing.

scooter22
07-20-15, 08:17
Well, this will do a lot for Grayguns.

samuse
07-20-15, 08:21
Good. I hope H&K can keep the doors open. Just in case I need service on one of my P2000s.

Hmac
07-20-15, 08:29
What does that action work typically cost on the VP9? I'm reluctant to ship my pistol off to Grayguns just to find out the price.

ShooterM4
07-20-15, 08:30
Well, this will do a lot for Grayguns.

They were already doing very well, and I think what this means mostly is that the backlog will grow even longer. I told LAV, "Well, thanks a lot, now it will take them a year to get them turned around."

: )

ShooterM4
07-20-15, 08:31
Their prices are right on their web site.

Here you go. (http://grayguns.com/gunsmith-services/heckler-koch/vp9-action-cleanup-perfection/)

Hmac
07-20-15, 09:24
Their prices are right on their web site.

Here you go. (http://grayguns.com/gunsmith-services/heckler-koch/vp9-action-cleanup-perfection/)

Doh!!

Thanks, don't know how I missed that. Was distracted by the pre-order form I guess.

ShooterM4
07-20-15, 14:20
Yes, that through me off. As for that form, I could not figure out how how to enter my zip code on it. ?

Todd762
07-20-15, 19:17
It would be nice if they sold new ones with the work already done! Obviously they can't keep up with the current demand for their action work but it would be nice to have one less shipping charge.

Eurodriver
07-20-15, 19:22
52 weeks in a year, so 1.3 million Glock 19s made in a year. I'm not buying that and I love my Glocks.

I'm sorry. It was 2,500.

YVK
07-20-15, 19:59
Around 4 pounds, if I recall what LAV said.

That on a carry, fully pre-cocked striker with minimal pre-travel and no external safety gun, and before it is even broken in?

Not sure if serious. PPQ deja vu all over again. Although I am not a professional gun handler, so I can accept the fact that my definition of a "trigger too light" is probably different from one of switched-on guys. However, if such triggers are kosher by LAV, then I can understand the appendix carry decision better.

Talon167
07-20-15, 20:05
It's too bad Grey Guns doesn't make a drop in kit.

YVK
07-20-15, 20:10
There was a persistent rumor that it was in works.

Waylander
07-20-15, 22:17
That on a carry, fully pre-cocked striker with minimal pre-travel and no external safety gun, and before it is even broken in?

Not sure if serious. PPQ deja vu all over again. Although I am not a professional gun handler, so I can accept the fact that my definition of a "trigger too light" is probably different from one of switched-on guys. However, if such triggers are kosher by LAV, then I can understand the appendix carry decision better.
To me it just screams competition gun only.

YVK
07-20-15, 22:38
I have several Grayguns pistols and they generally designate carry vs competition packages. The VP9 has an action package designation. I don't know what intent Grayguns has for the VP9 work; I guess it is a subject to user's interpretation.

Larry Vickers
07-20-15, 22:43

The trigger is a duty trigger job with an enhanced trigger of between 4 to 4.5 pounds

The VP9 trigger is very good out of the box but the Grayguns trigger takes it to a new level - a trigger like this is acceptable in the hands of experienced end users, others are best leaving the VP9 trigger stock

In Delta we had tuned 4 - 4.5 triggers on our 1911's back in the day. They are perfectally acceptable on a duty gun in the hands of the right people

And once again I will repeat myself in saying I have NO issues whatsoever with anyone who wants to carry AIWB - however the experience of having trained over 5000 students in the last 10 years has given me the perspective that AIWB is not acceptable in an open enrollment class. Very few if any other instructors can claim with any degree of legitimacy those kinds of numbers of students trained ( I taught the classes personally- not an adjunct or an assistant instructor) - in my opinion the liability risk posed is simply not worth it. Case closed.

GJM
07-20-15, 22:59
With the short, light trigger of the GGI VP9, will you allow the VP9 in your open enrollment classes? Do you think it would have been better if HK engineered in a device, like that Gadget thing, in the VP9?

YVK
07-20-15, 23:15
GJM, I think that if you read LAV's reply carefully, you'd see that GGI VP9 trigger is good to go for the experienced shooters. Having trained with him, I can attest that his hosts do a decent vetting jobs and he himself has a keen eye for incompetence.

I think this goes to a core principle of self assessment and insight. Just like one should have an idea if he's fit to carry one way or another, he or she should know what to carry, or not. I personally wouldn't carry a 4 lbs trigger without added security of things like long pull, or hammer, or thumb + grip safety. I hope that doesn't sound like an indictment on those who do 'cause it isn't. I am simply mindful of my limitations as well as extra diligence that my chosen mode of carry requires.

ShooterM4
07-21-15, 06:59
The way I see it, when it comes to Appendix carry, LAV simply invites people to risk shooting their nuts off on their own time and on their own dime.

:)

Hmac
09-14-15, 00:24
LOL, good point.

But, as LAV said, he liked his HK VP9 a lot but the trigger work took it to a whole new level. Said he has never fired a better striker action trigger system.

Here is what he wrote on his Facebook page:

"Today I officially announce that in my opinion the Grayguns tuned HK VP9 is the 'P210 of polymer framed handguns' - for those that know how accurate the SIG P210 is that is a huge compliment. The 2 targets posted are from shooting my VP9 on back to back 3-6-9 drills - first STRONG hand only then WEAK hand only !!! My students know what the 3-6-9 drill is and they will attest these are very impressive targets - let alone one handed. Nuff said."

This weekend I had an opportunity to handle Larry's VP9 and compare it to my own. That trigger is indeed the real deal. I didn't think it was in any way dangerously light.