PDA

View Full Version : How To Win a Gunfight: Shooting For Survival

MountainRaven
07-19-15, 21:34
Thought that everybody would enjoy this training video that the FBI put out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERs7VyRMETg

...A long time ago!

It's interesting how much has changed since then. And how much really hasn't.

Eurodriver
07-20-15, 05:59
Wowww, they used the word pupil!

I like the ricochet example.

ETA: After finishing the entire film, your last statement is eerily correct.

Averageman
07-20-15, 07:09
Occasionally I will be watching something on TV and they will have a shoot out. I will end up yelling at the TV, "Shoot under the car at his feet!"

MountainRaven
07-20-15, 14:26
Wowww, they used the word pupil!

ETA: After finishing the entire film, your last statement is eerily correct.

I found it especially interesting as I had just watched Jerry Miculek's Youtube video on handgun grip and stance. Jerry's video, of course, is more geared toward competition than defense, but the difference between the extreme crouch position with one hand (which I believe goes back to Fairbairn, Sykes, and associates in the 1930s and 40s) and the modern more "relaxed" upright position - to say nothing of the relative emphasis placed on sighted fire versus unsighted fire - is obvious. But both techniques appear to place firm importance on facing square to your target or threat.

Not to belittle the invaluable contributions of Jeff Cooper, but I kind of have to wonder if the emphasis on the weaver shooting stance was one step forward (two hands on the gun), two steps back (rigid bladed shooting stance more inline with the dueling stance commonly taught before Fairbairn, Sykes, &c.) on the way from the stances demonstrated in this video versus those most commonly taught today.

Occasionally I will be watching something on TV and they will have a shoot out. I will end up yelling at the TV, "Shoot under the car at his feet!"

I have to wonder at where all these TV shows think people are getting armored cars.

And never mind everybody driving around in armored cars, what's the deal with all the armored ambulances and firetrucks!?

:confused:

T2C
07-20-15, 16:20
I saw a video similar to this years ago. Things have definitely changed.

Moose-Knuckle
07-20-15, 18:59

The example of the FBI instructor hitting the two balloons that were simulating LEO's heads peaking around the corning of a building reminded me of something I read in BHD when the D-Boys would pull the young Rangers off of the walls of buildings during street fights and they told them that if they hug the walls of buildings they will get hit by ricochets.

I have to wonder at where all these TV shows think people are getting armored cars.

And never mind everybody driving around in armored cars, what's the deal with all the armored ambulances and firetrucks!?

:confused:

Well the guy who assaulted Dallas PD headquarters got his armored van off of ebay, retired SWAT van at that.

Unless you're throwing .30 caliber + most rounds will not fully penetrate average automobile skins/glass.

MountainRaven
07-20-15, 19:13
Well the guy who assaulted Dallas PD headquarters got his armored van off of ebay, retired SWAT van at that.

Unless you're throwing .30 caliber + most rounds will not fully penetrate average automobile skins/glass.

Yeah, but armored VW Jettas (for instance) aren't that common.

;)