PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to the Galil Ace?

KTR03
07-20-15, 11:26
Hey There,

Does anyone know what happened to the Galil Ace rifles and pistols? Seems like a good Krink type SBR platform. I have scanned the internet and haven't found any new info.

MadAngler1
07-20-15, 11:44
I was wondering the same thing. All I know is that Atlantic does not have them yet. I really want the 16" 7.62 Soviet model. If Midwest Industries can make an extended handguard for it, it would be even more awesome.

WickedWillis
07-20-15, 11:57
It looks like Atlantic has had atleast one in inventory;

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/iwi-galil-ace-detail.html?Itemid=0

BUBBAGUNS
07-20-15, 12:55
Not anymore.

jschmitt08
07-20-15, 13:26
The website has said that same thing for most of the year.

deejai
07-20-15, 17:51
Atlantic Firearms wrote on another forum that the IWI factory was being slow and that the best estimates for when we will see them is late summer or sometime in the fall. Heres a pic from the IWI facebook of Galil pistols on a rack in Israel. The pic is from a trip by Shooting Illustrated.

KalashniKEV
07-20-15, 20:53
Maybe they finally found a customer for them?

Firefly
07-20-15, 21:19
I don't care about the 7.62x39.

I'm holding out for the 7.62 x51 just because I want a cyberpunk Galil .308.

HCM
07-25-15, 12:16
Maybe they finally found a customer for them?

They have found some military customers for the ACE 7.62x39, mostly militaries already using AK's such as Vietnam. I've seen some law enforcement in Mexico and Central America with them as well.

HCM
07-25-15, 12:26
I don't care about the 7.62x39.

I'm holding out for the 7.62 x51 just because I want a cyberpunk Galil .308.

I recently attended an IWI LE sales demo. They were primarily demoing the Tavors but they had a 7.62x51 Galil select fire and a Negev LMG.

The IWI reps advised the 16" semi auto ACE 7.62x39 rifle was in the import process and should be available in the U.S. late summer / fall of this year. They had no ETA on pistol versions of the ACE.

I got to put two mags through the 7.62x51 Galil. It was light for a 308, even with a forward mounted meprolight reflex sight, yet vey controllable even on full auto. The rifle I got to fire had an m-4 style collapsible stock and utilized the legacy Galil 308 magazines. However, the reps advised the semi ACE 308 for the U.S. Market will utilize SR-25 (PMAG) pattern magazines. They said it is scheduled to be available here 1st quarter of 2016 but could be longer.

deejai
07-27-15, 20:33
From the IWI facebook:

As all of you know, we have been seriously delayed in bringing the Galil ACE to market. Suffice to say that we believe it is better to delay deliveries if a problem is discovered, rather than bring the product to market prematurely. (Most of the issues encountered were in converting full auto to semi-auto configuration.) In any case, here is our revised delivery schedule (which could still be modified if necessary):
Galil ACE pistol in 7.62x39mm - September, 2015
Galil ACE pistol w/Stabilizing Brace, 7.62x39mm - October, 2015
Galil ACE rifle, 7.62x39mm - late October/early November, 2015
Galil ACE pistol in 7.62 NATO - January, 2016
Galil ACE pistol w/Stabilizing Brace, 7.62 NATO - February, 2016
Galil ACE rifle, 7.62 NATO - March, 2016
Galil ACE 5.56 NATO - 2nd Quarter 2016
We apologize for these delays, but again, we want to make sure that what we bring to market meets our standards and your expectations.

Alpha-17
07-27-15, 20:39
Hmm. Let's hope this schedule stays accurate. I'd love to get my hands on a .308 Galil.

Firefly
07-29-15, 04:54
Well....I look at it as more time to save my pennies.
No interest in the AK round anymore but I see a .308 Galil in my pile.

Bret
07-29-15, 08:19
Interesting that they don't designate the options that they'll have for the 5.56 NATO version. Don't know if I'd like the pistol to convert in to a SBR or a rifle. I wonder if they're going to import buttstocks for SBR conversions.

MadAngler1
07-30-15, 17:29
That sucks. I really want the 7.62x39 Soviet version, and I want a Surefire SOCOM 7.62 Mini on the end of it, along with an extended handguard and an Aimpoint on top. :cool:

I have no interest in the 7.62 NATO version, especially if they don't use the sturdier 308 Galil mags.

I would also love to have a Galil ACE in 5.56 NATO using Galil steel magazines (not STANAG mags).

Bret
07-30-15, 17:38
I would also love to have a Galil ACE in 5.56 NATO using Galil steel magazines (not STANAG mags).
I don't think they make a version that uses Galil magazines. The Israelis have changed over to STANAG mags.

deejai
07-30-15, 18:05
I don't think they make a version that uses Galil magazines. The Israelis have changed over to STANAG mags.

They still make the ACE with galil magazines. The ACE was intended for export and isn't used by the IDF. The ACE is used by Colombians and other South American countries that used the legacy Galils.

Bret
07-30-15, 18:48
I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting me know. I could go either way. I already have Galil magazines for my Galil and Micro Galil, but of course I have AR15 magazines too.

halmbarte
07-31-15, 07:31
They still make the ACE with galil magazines. The ACE was intended for export and isn't used by the IDF. The ACE is used by Colombians and other South American countries that used the legacy Galils.

One of the advantages of making the lower receiver a separate part would be IWI could assemble rifles with whatever design the customer wants.

H

MadAngler1
08-01-15, 17:24
One of the advantages of making the lower receiver a separate part would be IWI could assemble rifles with whatever design the customer wants.

H

I think the entire lower and perhaps even the feed ramp and/or trunion need to be altered to utilize a STANAG magazine, but this is pure speculation on my part:

http://www.israel-weapon.com/files/brochure_2012/IWI_ACE_N_556x45_AR.pdf

The ACE 21: http://www.israel-weapon.com/files/brochure_2012/IWI_ACE_556_AR.pdf

They sell the ACE 21 that uses STANAG magazines as the "ACE N". It would be great to hear some more information from people who have trigger time behind the ACE and both of these variants. Perhaps a IMI/IWI rep could chime in about the differences. I only have time behind the original Galil and some Valmet models. I love the original Galil, and I'm very excited to get my hands on an ACE 31, which is arguably the closest thing I will ever get to a Sako M92 in the USSA. Hopefully in a few years, I'll be able to put some money towards a couple of original imported Valmets and Galils (pre-89), but unfortunately, I just got married. :( :p

kunc
08-04-15, 22:45
The US 5.56 Galil Ace will take stanag mags like the ACE N, or ACE NATO.

kunc
08-04-15, 22:49
Interested to know if the stocks will be available to buy separately if one wishes to SBR the pistols. Hope to hell they are or they will be useless to me.

Bret
08-05-15, 08:03
I agree and won't buy a 5.56 pistol without knowing the answer to that question for sure.

Circle_10
08-05-15, 19:59
I'm fairly interested in the ACE in general..but in particular I'm thinking that a SBR'd 7.62x39 pistol might be a decent substitute for an SLR-107UR SBR, which I wasn't able to get hold of before they dried up. Of course their pricepoint would be a factor though.

Firefly
08-16-16, 16:40
Bumping this. Has anyone gotten the rifle and put it through paces? It looks decent enough and am tempted to get one despite having forsaken the AK 7.62. It looks tempting and ostensibly handles the niggles inherent in AKs that irked me. I had several over the years, thought they were fun and evil, then got bored and just not having fun with the Soviet 7.62. I liked the 5.45 but abandoned that because I was like "Gee....I could just shoot .223". But I regret parting with the Saiga Legion AK-74. Literally closest you could get to a Soviet AK-74M.

Or....hold out if/when they release the 5.56 one?

I would be all over the 556 Galil ACE. Because I kinda liked the older Galil.

Circle_10
08-16-16, 17:31
Bumping this. Has anyone gotten the rifle and put it through paces? It looks decent enough and am tempted to get one despite having forsaken the AK 7.62. It looks tempting and ostensibly handles the niggles inherent in AKs that irked me. I had several over the years, thought they were fun and evil, then got bored and just not having fun with the Soviet 7.62. I liked the 5.45 but abandoned that because I was like "Gee....I could just shoot .223". But I regret parting with the Saiga Legion AK-74. Literally closest you could get to a Soviet AK-74M.

I've seen a couple of tabletop/first shots reviews on YouTube, but nothing where the gun is really being run hard. The initial reviews seem to be positive though.

I am somewhat interested in the Ace in general but I'm sort of put off by the price poin, so it's up for debate whether I'd actually drop the cash for one or not. The .308 version is apparently due out next (Although the timing kinda sucks), logically I feel like if I decide to get one I should hold out for the .308, as I'm up to my neck in 7.62 AKs already, but part of me is really enamoured with the notion of a more modern rifle in 7.62x39.

WickedWillis
08-16-16, 17:32

If they did a new manufacture of classic style 5.56 Galil's I would get a loan out and buy one. One of my very favorite rifles of all time.

montesf1030
08-16-16, 17:45
Here is mine ... Bought it last Friday in one of my local gun shops in Las Vegas ... Only one they had .. I got lucky !!!http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/bdd40e7ebd34b2033d074de9617e936e.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/8813d3d7bd55bdd618e63931e9bee1c6.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/45bfc155266da6c6182113ae9d93cd9c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bret
08-16-16, 18:29
If they did a new manufacture of classic style 5.56 Galil's I would get a loan out and buy one. One of my very favorite rifles of all time.
I like them too, but they are heavy by modern standards. Here's my Springfield Galil model 392.
https://s3.postimg.org/ydps4bncz/Springfield_Galil_right_view_on_wall.jpg

The Micro Galil was a definite improvement, much lighter and handier. It's one of my favorites.
https://s4.postimg.org/j4i5d3qb1/Micro_Galil_right_view_on_wall.jpg

If the Galil Ace is an improvement over the Micro Galil, I'll be all over it when it comes out in 5.56x45. Though I have Galil magazines, I'm hoping that it takes regular STANAG magazines.

WickedWillis
08-16-16, 18:30
I like them too, but they are heavy by modern standards. Here's my Springfield Galil model 392.
https://s3.postimg.org/ydps4bncz/Springfield_Galil_right_view_on_wall.jpg

The Micro Galil was a definite improvement, much lighter and handier. It's one of my favorites.
https://s4.postimg.org/j4i5d3qb1/Micro_Galil_right_view_on_wall.jpg

If the Galil Ace is an improvement over the Micro Galil, I'll be all over it when it comes out in 5.56x45. Though I have Galil magazines, I'm hoping that it takes regular STANAG magazines.

Amazing. Thank you for sharing.

Firefly
08-16-16, 19:00
I heard IWI can't physically make legacy Galils anymore. Kind of like HK and Legacy rifles. No longer have tooling. I'm kinda over the classic Galil.

Galil had more in common with a Valmet than an AK.

I really think this could be a good mid-range non-AR gun. 1500 isn't too bad for what is technically an import kind of.

I would rather get a 5.56 one but with the Hillpocalypse looming....that may not be prudent. Looking hard at one and want a no BS assessment.

Arik
08-16-16, 19:30
I heard IWI can't physically make legacy Galils anymore. Kind of like HK and Legacy rifles. No longer have tooling. I'm kinda over the classic Galil.

Galil had more in common with a Valmet than an AK.

I really think this could be a good mid-range non-AR gun. 1500 isn't too bad for what is technically an import kind of.

I would rather get a 5.56 one but with the Hillpocalypse looming....that may not be prudent. Looking hard at one and want a no BS assessment.
I thought about getting one bit I just don't see what it will do for me that my AKs won't. Also I don't have an extra $1500 to just play with

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

96 SS
08-17-16, 00:17
The 5.56 models are planed to take regular AR mags.

Johnson184
08-17-16, 20:04
Anyone have the pistol version? I saw MAC's video where the Galil Ace rifle was performing terribly when suppressed due to be so overgassed the carrier couldn't pick up the next round off the magazine since it cycled so quickly. Wondering if the pistol version with the shorter barrel has that same problem.

notorious_ar15
08-17-16, 22:57
Anyone have the pistol version? I saw MAC's video where the Galil Ace rifle was performing terribly when suppressed due to be so overgassed the carrier couldn't pick up the next round off the magazine since it cycled so quickly. Wondering if the pistol version with the shorter barrel has that same problem.

I haven't seen anyone running one suppressed yet.

RetroRevolver77
08-21-16, 00:18
I haven't seen anyone running one suppressed yet.

I believe MAC has a video of one being run suppressed. They'll likely go back and design an adjustable gas block.

notorious_ar15
08-21-16, 16:52
I believe MAC has a video of one being run suppressed. They'll likely go back and design an adjustable gas block.

I should have clarified, my reply was directed to his question about the 8.3" barrel pistols being suppressed, not the full size rifle.