PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a new State!

scooter22
07-20-15, 17:32
Gents,

I will be applying for my medical residency next year, and I'm looking for somewhere to move.

I have lived in the New Orleans area most of my life (I lived in Brisbane, Australia for 2 years), and I'm looking for something new.

I'm mainly looking for nice scenery, i.e. mountains, rivers, forests, hiking, etc.

I would also prefer an NFA-friendly state.

Any and all questions, comments and suggestions are welcome!

OH58D
07-20-15, 17:37
Try New Mexico. Open carry and concealed carry. NFA items no problem. Democrat State with a Republican Governor and she packs a pistol herself. Have had lunch with her on several occasions. Carrying open or concealed in your vehicle is fine since it's part of what is called domain extension (It's just like your house). Only 2 million people in the entire State and lots of wide open country.

scooter22
07-20-15, 17:41
Thanks for the reply.

I have had a friend tell me to check out Santa Fe...

7.62NATO
07-20-15, 17:41
Gents,

I will be applying for my medical residency next year, and I'm looking for somewhere to move.

I have lived in the New Orleans area most of my life (I lived in Brisbane, Australia for 2 years), and I'm looking for something new.

I'm mainly looking for nice scenery, i.e. mountains, rivers, forests, hiking, etc.

What specialty? Choose the best program you can get into, regardless of state. Residency is not time for play. Play comes afterward, sometimes...

scooter22
07-20-15, 17:43
What specialty? Choose the best program you can get into, regardless of state. Residency is not time for play. Play comes afterward, sometimes...

90% sure Anesthesia.

My best bet is to get into a local program, i.e. Ochsner, LSU, Tulane.

I have been told that many tend to practice where they do residency...

AKDoug
07-20-15, 18:03
I am from Alaska. I wouldn't suggest moving here, but I love it. If I were to pick another state to live in that has huge recreational possibilities, a good stance on gun rights, and a large enough population to become wealthy in health care, I'd be moving to Arizona.

Eurodriver
07-20-15, 18:06
Arizona indeed. Sick old people are your friend and Florida doesn't have the scenery you seek.

SilverBullet432
07-20-15, 18:09
T E X A S

Or Carlsbad. Nice place if youre old. :p theres some nice scenery there too ;)

GH41
07-20-15, 18:12
SC!!! Ocean, mountains and everything in between within 5 hours from anywhere in the state. Sales tax capped at $300 and enough people on welfare to remind you of home!

scooter22
07-20-15, 18:16
SC!!! Ocean, mountains and everything in between within 5 hours from anywhere in the state. Sales tax capped at $300 and enough people on welfare to remind you of home!

I've heard Charleston is great.

The welfare epidemic is one reason why I want to leave this God-forsaken region...

PatrioticDisorder
07-20-15, 19:55
What speciality are you applying for? Assuming you're not applying for ortho, rads, ophtho, gas, derm or ENT and you can have a reasonable assumption of matching based on good step 1/2 score & grades... Regardless, PA will likely be the NFA state with the most slots in the specialty you desire, it also has the mountains and scenic parts you asked for.

I just saw you were applying gas, PA is the state for you I think.

C-grunt
07-20-15, 20:01
Arizona is a nice place to live. We have everything on your list. Though the big city (Flagstaff) in a forested areas is a bit more liberal than the Phoenix metro area.

Phoenix is great except for June through August. However the heat comes with little humidity so staying in the AC makes it easy to live with.

26 Inf
07-20-15, 20:09
Reno Nevada - I love the area - lived about 100 miles south of Reno, but spent a lot of time in the Reno area. Near the Sierra Nevada's, near Lake Tahoe, and the high desert is a great clime to live in. I would have stayed there but at the time my eyes were just a tad too bad for Reno PD. Based on my experiences desert racing, the average Nevadan injures them self at least once a year resulting in surgery. :rolleyes:

scooter22
07-20-15, 20:18
What speciality are you applying for? Assuming you're not applying for ortho, rads, ophtho, gas, derm or ENT and you can have a reasonable assumption of matching based on good step 1/2 score & grades... Regardless, PA will likely be the NFA state with the most slots in the specialty you desire, it also has the mountains and scenic parts you asked for.

I just saw you were applying gas, PA is the state for you I think.

Not exactly sure what you meant by this?

While those are the most competitive, gas is not one of them.

Quiet-Matt
07-20-15, 20:22
Chattanooga, Tennessee my friend! We have everything you are looking for.

MountainRaven
07-20-15, 20:26
I've heard Charleston is great.

The welfare epidemic is one reason why I want to leave this God-forsaken region...

What? No Southern pride?

Well, Montana's full. But I hear North Dakota's nice. ;)

Might also consider Idaho, Wyoming, or Oregon.

OH58D
07-20-15, 21:31
Thanks for the reply.

Actually, any place but Santa Fe here in New Mexico. It's an over priced, over rated nest of Leftists. It's the destination for Hollywood types who want a place away from Beverly Hills. We call it the "Adobe Disneyland", where the high end jet set crowd can be "at one" with the earth, art, and their Marxist tendencies. It is a good place for freak watching. I once had the pleasure of encountering a woman on the main plaza there, wearing far eastern clothing with a veil, and mumbling about riding the tail of some comet. Go for the entertainment value, not to live there.

I'm out in ranch country about a 100+ miles east of there along the Canadian River, 70 miles from town.

TacMedic556
07-20-15, 21:41
Gents,

Montana.

BuzzinSATX
07-20-15, 21:47
If I were just starting out again, it would be either Northern AZ or anywhere WY. Love MT too...

scooter22
07-20-15, 21:50
Thanks for all the replies.

Wyoming and Montana look amazing, but I'm concerned about the scenic areas being a little too desolate to actually live.

Definitely keeping the SW on my radar.

I'll have to do a little more research on hospitals/cities/scenery and their vicinity to one another.

AKDoug
07-20-15, 22:12
Thanks for all the replies.

Wyoming and Montana look amazing, but I'm concerned about the scenic areas being a little too desolate to actually live.

Definitely keeping the SW on my radar.

I'll have to do a little more research on hospitals/cities/scenery and their vicinity to one another.

Everyone has their own definition of "too desolate to actually live" ... what is your's?

SomeOtherGuy
07-20-15, 23:21

You need to decide how to balance (1) the quality of the residency vs. (2) the job prospects and local salary rates vs. (3) the state's quality of life.

Looking only at the quality of life aspects, and as someone who doesn't mind snow but does mind three digit heat indexes, I like Washington, Oregon, Idaho, western Montana, and Michigan's UP. WA and OR have rather liberal state politics and might be poor bets for long term considering firearms laws, income taxes, general restrictions on freedom, etc. ID and MT would be much better for that and MI is also a lot better, though not quite ID. Maine might also be worth a look but I don't know much about it.

I can't offer any help on the quality of residencies or directly on job prospects. I would consider a state's current rate of insured state residents (vs. totally uninsured or Medicaid) as a suggestion of how the reimbursement climate might be 5 or 10 years from now.

Anesthesia is also a moderately expensive field for professional liability insurance, so I would avoid the worst states from a PL insurance perspective, which are probably Florida, Illinois, and Pennsylvania. States with a relatively nice liability environment (from a doctor's perspective) would include Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan (to a somewhat lesser extent), and the plains states.

Wake27
07-20-15, 23:34
I am a big fan of VA and believe I would like NC quite a bit too. NoVA does get lots of filth from DC but depending where you live, you can get to the mountains or the ocean in either. And they have the big cities if you need a dose of that every now and then. Plus, I really like having seasons. I've moved around quite a bit so far and while some parts of season suck, its nice to have that variety.

tb-av
07-20-15, 23:47
VA has all that. From Richmond. Several rivers in 20 minutes to 1.5hrs. Beach in 2 to 4 hrs depending on which one. Mountains in 1 to 2 hrs. You should be used to the humidity. Minimal snow and rarely days that get to single digits in winter. OC, CCW, NFA ... leans heavily red outside the cities. We have recently turned light blue mostly thanks to NoVA which most don't count as real VA. There is NoVA ( Northern VA ) and RoVA.. ( rest of VA ).

Funny you should mention anesthesia. I went in this guys house one day. We have VCU/MCV (Medical College / Trauma Center ) but the campus is in a residential area. It's just a big mix of row houses, restaurants, campus and short trip to hospital and central business district. You get quite a mix there. So I go in and this was probably 400-500K home, I can't remember. Pool table, guitars, beer cans everywhere, it looked like a frat party at mid day on a week day. No people just the left overs. So I figure the guy was in a band or maybe an art teacher or something. I asked him what he did. Anesthesiologist.... ever since then I always checked to see who was putting me under. So far it's been women so I figured I was somewhat safe.

Iraqgunz
07-20-15, 23:49
Arizona is a good choice as someone mentioned and it seems like we have a lot of medical stuff here. Once you escape Phoenix there are great places like Prescott, Flagstaff, and Sedona. We have an F rating from the anti-gunners, low population density, and decent cost of living.

Pork Chop
07-21-15, 00:13
Not to offend any Wyoming residents, but as someone who has spent significant time in Wyoming, I can't imagine recommending it as a place to live unless you have an unbelievable tolerance for God awful weather. If you enjoy bitter cold and consider 40 mph wind a "mild breeze", then you may like it. The people there are great, but I'd take Montana or Idaho ten ways to Sunday.

Koshinn
07-21-15, 00:24
I am from Alaska. I wouldn't suggest moving here, but I love it. If I were to pick another state to live in that has huge recreational possibilities, a good stance on gun rights, and a large enough population to become wealthy in health care, I'd be moving to Arizona.

I loved Alaska when I've visited. That being said, I heard there's a plague of mosquitoes in the summer and -20 to -40*F winters.

Arizona is a good choice as someone mentioned and it seems like we have a lot of medical stuff here. Once you escape Phoenix there are great places like Prescott, Flagstaff, and Sedona. We have an F rating from the anti-gunners, low population density, and decent cost of living.

I was in the Flagstaff and Sedona area last month, what an amazing place. Beautiful scenery, great gun laws (state-wide of course), and a very decent cost of living. Plus there are quite a few nice outdoorsy things to do like tons of mountain climbing, the Grand Canyon, Colorado River, stuff like that. And it isn't anywhere near as hot as you'd think when you hear the word "Arizona." Plus you're relatively close to Las Vegas :)

ColtSeavers
07-21-15, 00:31
Gents,

Idaho.

If you can stand religious 'cliques', Utah.

Nevada, anywhere EXCEPT Las Vegas, all of Clark County actually. The Nortwestern area would be right up your alley.

Quiet-Matt
07-21-15, 05:13
http:// http://holeinthedonut.com/2013/05/23/chattanooga-best-place-to-live-in-america/ ( http://holeinthedonut.com/2013/05/23/chattanooga-best-place-to-live-in-america/)

7.62NATO
07-21-15, 07:24
VA has all that. From Richmond. Several rivers in 20 minutes to 1.5hrs. Beach in 2 to 4 hrs depending on which one. Mountains in 1 to 2 hrs. You should be used to the humidity. Minimal snow and rarely days that get to single digits in winter. OC, CCW, NFA ... leans heavily red outside the cities. We have recently turned light blue mostly thanks to NoVA which most don't count as real VA. There is NoVA ( Northern VA ) and RoVA.. ( rest of VA ).

Funny you should mention anesthesia. I went in this guys house one day. We have VCU/MCV (Medical College / Trauma Center ) but the campus is in a residential area. It's just a big mix of row houses, restaurants, campus and short trip to hospital and central business district. You get quite a mix there. So I go in and this was probably 400-500K home, I can't remember. Pool table, guitars, beer cans everywhere, it looked like a frat party at mid day on a week day. No people just the left overs. So I figure the guy was in a band or maybe an art teacher or something. I asked him what he did. Anesthesiologist.... ever since then I always checked to see who was putting me under. So far it's been women so I figured I was somewhat safe.

Anesthesiology is the specialty in which you find doctors with the most substance abuse.

7.62NATO
07-21-15, 07:26
Not exactly sure what you meant by this?

While those are the most competitive, gas is not one of them.

The specialties listed are the most competitive, and unless your Step 1/2 scores are up there, and you interview well, your selection will be limited. That said, I would take a hard look at VA for all the reasons already mentioned.

Vandal
07-21-15, 10:03
OP, go west young man. Washington has what you're looking for. The West side is pretty liberal but this whole state is gorgeous.

7.62NATO
07-21-15, 10:09
OP, go west young man. Washington has what you're looking for. The West side is VERY liberal but this whole state is gorgeous.

Avoid the west coast not only for the progressive cess-pool it is, but for the fact that its past overdue for a mega-quake.

Doc Safari
07-21-15, 10:46
Try New Mexico. Open carry and concealed carry. NFA items no problem. Democrat State with a Republican Governor and she packs a pistol herself. Have had lunch with her on several occasions. Carrying open or concealed in your vehicle is fine since it's part of what is called domain extension (It's just like your house). Only 2 million people in the entire State and lots of wide open country.

I concur.

The only pitfall is that New Mexico doesn't recognize "self defense" so much as "justifiable homicide." The practical reality is that if you punch somebody's time clock you had better be able to convince a jury that you were in reasonable fear of your life.

Other than that, we have two seasons: green and brown

It's not unusual for some winter days to be warm enough that you only need a light jacket (at least in the Southern portion of the state).

Yes, we do get snow down here, but rarely does it happen more than one or two days a year and it usually melts in a day or so.

People remark that the food in this area (the southern portion from the bootheel to El Paso, Texas) has some of the best, spiciest, Mexican-style food on the planet.

It's uncanny that whenever I travel around the country and run into someone from New Mexico, the first thing they say they miss is the food.

You have deserts, lakes, and forests all within driving distance.

The only caveat is that you better like hot weather. It's not as hot as Arizona, but we have more humidity, I think.

The other bad thing is that we pay for our lack of snow with dust storms (local terminology; they are really sand storms).

In March, it can look like a sandstorm in the Middle East.

Outlander Systems
07-21-15, 11:11
The Republic of Texas.

WickedWillis
07-21-15, 11:14
Eastern, or Northern Washington, or North Idaho would be great choices. Western Montana as well...

nimdabew
07-21-15, 11:30
My wife just started her reidency in Washington. I have heard that the anesthesia residencies on cherry hill and pill hill in Seattle are really good, but are very competitive. Those are both in Swattle. We are NFA friendly, but some things are really dumb like universal background checks and firearm transfer tax (sales tax on all gun transfers, even those purchased out of state). We have a ton of hiking, fishing, shooting, camping, river floating, whatever within hours of DT seattle. I am trying to evacuate this state however when her residency is done and I want to go to Alaska.

nimdabew
07-21-15, 11:34
Avoid the west coast not only for the progressive cess-pool it is, but for the fact that its past overdue for a mega-quake.

Lol, working opportunity for the young doctor.

JoshNC
07-21-15, 11:58
The quality of training and prestige of the program's need to be your main focus in selecting residency programs for interviews. The specialty is also important, as the more competitive the specialty the less apt you are to "choose" where you are going to train. With that said, I did my residency in Head and Neck Surgery and wrote off applying to any programs in states that disallowed machinegun ownership. But truly your focus must be on matching at the BEST program for your specialty. Training at a top tier program opens doors for top tier fellowship after residency and better employment options. Feel free to email me off the boards if you want to talk more about this. I think you should still have my email.

You're also not going to have much free time as a resident. Figure out where you want to live after you finish training.

MegademiC
07-21-15, 12:25
I've settled on FL for my move.

If you want mountains, I'd opt for Colorado or montana. Beautiful country scenery. I'd love to visit both, but not my taste to live.

Doc Safari
07-21-15, 13:43
Thanks for the reply.

Santa Fe is different from the rest of New Mexico. It's more like California: where all the fruits and nuts congregate.

brickboy240
07-21-15, 13:52
I just came back from a week in Las Cruces, NM and that is one great place.

The area has mountains and desert. You could hunt and fish there, too.

There is enough "civilization" in Las Cruces but it is not nearly as crowded or filthy as El Paso.

You get the mountains and skiing in Cloudcroft/Riudoso but don't get the long and brutal winters of states like MT or WY. With NM State in the city, there is plenty of work and modern conveniences.

Yes, it is hot in the summer but there is no humidity so it is only really hot in July and August and mostly from 2-6 PM. Otherwise, weather in that part of NM is damned nice.

I'd check into Las Cruces, NM..if I were you. I could easily live there.

(as one that has been to Santa Fe many times...they are VERY right about the place! LOL)

OH58D
07-21-15, 17:26
They say a picture is worth a thousand words....Here's a sign at one of my favorite eating joints in Las Vegas, New Mexico. Pretty well sums up the way of doing things in this part of New Mexico:

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss126/BlackMesaRanch/sign_zps516c21d7.jpg

AKDoug
07-21-15, 21:05
My wife just started her reidency in Washington. I have heard that the anesthesia residencies on cherry hill and pill hill in Seattle are really good, but are very competitive. Those are both in Swattle. We are NFA friendly, but some things are really dumb like universal background checks and firearm transfer tax (sales tax on all gun transfers, even those purchased out of state). We have a ton of hiking, fishing, shooting, camping, river floating, whatever within hours of DT seattle. I am trying to evacuate this state however when her residency is done and I want to go to Alaska.
If you are into these things, Alaska could be for you. Alaska isn't for everyone, but I love it.

ColtSeavers
07-21-15, 22:52
They say a picture is worth a thousand words....Here's a sign at one of my favorite eating joints in Las Vegas, New Mexico. Pretty well sums up the way of doing things in this part of New Mexico:

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss126/BlackMesaRanch/sign_zps516c21d7.jpg

No smoking? F that...

officerX
07-21-15, 23:00
You should definitely consider Kentucky!

RancidSumo
07-21-15, 23:45
Thanks for the reply.

Santa Fe is a cool town. I'd live there in a heartbeat.

OH58D
07-22-15, 08:27
Santa Fe is a cool town. I'd live there in a heartbeat.

It's a cool looking town, with lots of history and interesting architecture. However, anyone who was born there or in the area cannot afford to live there themselves. Price of property is inflated out of sight. Since the late 60's the Hippies flooded the place and later high dollar Hollywood actors followed. It's an absolute freak show of leftist politics and activities. If you're into that crowd you'll enjoy it. Show up on Earth Day in April and bring your camera. If you're afflicted with any physical or mental ailments, try one of the healing chairs they produce there. These chairs contain crystals which will heal anything from asthma to erectile dysfunction.

The locals call the place "The City Different" and that's fine with the rest of New Mexico. The Leftist wackos also have infested Taos, another smaller version of Santa Fe, with nice scenery. They seem to all self contain in those two communities which is fine. We have had to deal with some of these Mountain and Prairie Hippies trying to steal ranch equipment in the past. I've run them off with a rifle, but some of my Spanish fellow ranchers would cause these Hippies to just vanish if they were caught stealing on their ranches. Thank God I live in a county with a total population of only 28,000 people, and that's mainly in the town 70 miles away.

RancidSumo
07-22-15, 08:50
The only thing you mentioned that would bother me is the stealing. The rest of the stuff isn't really a big deal. Makes for a fun town to live in, especially for younger people. I'd put it in the same camp as Boulder and Austin.

Abraham
07-22-15, 10:07
Consider the Clear Lake area of Texas. Plenty of hospitals. Affluent people.

Plus, no state income tax, the Gulf of Mexico is only a 30 minute drive, Houston is 25 miles away if you need some big city entertainment or whatever. Come to think of it, you could do residency in Houston and live in the Clear Lake area. The Houston Medical Center is world famous, and there are tons of hospitals all over town.

brickboy240
07-22-15, 11:16
True. We don't have mountains here but tons of outdoor activities, a gun friendly culture, lots of jobs and you will not shovel snow.

Like to play golf/tennis in December? This is your place.

It is hot and humid in the summer but that also means it is green here when lots of the SW US is dead and brown. With the Texas Medical Center in Houston....I doubt you'd ever be without employment.

-brickboy240

nimdabew
07-22-15, 12:23
If you are into these things, Alaska could be for you. Alaska isn't for everyone, but I love it.

I am actively pursuing a flight career up in AK right now. Speaking of which, I need to call Hageland right now to follow up on my application that I put in with them.