PDA

View Full Version : BattleComp 51T - Eurodriver's Thoughts on Recoil, Durability, and Hearing Loss

Eurodriver
07-20-15, 20:18
I've had the BattleComp 51T since it was first released to the public in Oct 2014. I've put 1,250+ rounds through my BCM 11.5" LW barrel since it had the 51T mounted. About 75% of those have been suppressed. I bought this because I wanted something that provided blast baffle protection for my AAC Suppressor without the deafening noise of the 51T Muzzle Brake by AAC.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/DSC03322_zpsxw2jydiu.jpg

Here are my thoughts over almost a full year of ownership:

It works, but takes a learning curve. During rapid fire I had to re-train myself as the rifle would go down due to the effect of the brake. At first I viewed this as a design flaw and thought it overcompensated, but what was actually happening was that I had been "trained" over years to fight the recoil. Once I held the rifle firmly, but didn't aggressively fight the muzzle in a downward direction expecting muzzle climb the problem went away.

I rarely shoot indoors. Because what fun is that right? Indoor ranges are for those odd individuals who don't enjoy a nice Sunday morning drive out into the country and shoot HKs. Today I shot it for the first time indoors, and I am not happy. This shit is loud. If you are standing nearby, it sucks the wind out of you. I'll give it that it is not AAC 51T Muzzle Brake loud, but a lady literally grabbed her ear protection and ran out of the range when I started blasting. Outdoors it was still loud, but it wasn't stupid. This is stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYvtH667gYE

It was expensive. $180 makes me not want to get rid of it.

This thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?159601-BattleComp-51-0
generated some concerns that the "blast baffle" of the front of the 51T was not durable enough for long term use.

I took this picture this afternoon:

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_3225_zpsgaqjltvi.jpg

Obviously I cannot see the inside portion, but there are no issues that I can see.

Muzzle Flash: As you can see, the muzzle flash dampening feature of the 51T is not very good. I am, to give it credit, shooting an M193 out of an 11.5" barrel but it is still borderline unacceptable. This isn't a concern as most of my shooting is suppressed, but given the hype generated by BC I expected better. (I owned a BC 1.5 and a BC 1.0 both on 14.5" and 16" guns respectively and the muzzle flash was not as bad as it is on the 11.5" obviously. However, products like the BCM compensator do deliver marked improvement on muzzle flash with equivalent ammo and barrel lengths. Basically, it can be done but they didn't get it right.)

That's it. It's a muzzle device, I don't fret over these things, but wanted to share my feedback. Given the lack of 51T mounting options, I can't say that I am disappointed that I bought it however I am surely not ecstatic about it. Especially indoors. It's ****ing loud nephews. I'm serious.

Eurodriver
07-20-15, 20:19
*Foul language*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdp3aCkkS1M

samuse
07-20-15, 20:49
Mm hmm.

I had a Battle Comp briefly when they first came out.

Obnoxiously loud, made the recoil wierd. Sold it.

C-grunt
07-20-15, 23:07
Definitely holding up better than my YHM Phantom suppressor mount.

Koshinn
07-21-15, 00:08
Thanks for the long term review.

After you shoot another thousand rounds, would you consider unmounting it from the barrel to look at the inside of the "blast baffle"?

My AAC 2 port brake that I use on my 10.5 has a pretty chewed up first baffle. Not a problem since that's the whole reason I got it, but I'm still pretty curious.

VIP3R 237
07-21-15, 00:57
From what I understand is that most AAC muzzle devices are MIM'd while the BC 51T is 17-4PH steel which has qualities very similar to Inconel and is damn near self healing.

MistWolf
07-21-15, 06:57
I've tried the BC on a 20 inch, 16 inch and 10.5 inch AR. It's most effective as a flash suppressor on the 20 inch and most effective as a compensator on teh 10.5. My shooting partners never complained about noise and concussion from the 20, rarely from the 16 and always when I shoot the 10.5. Everyone also comments on the fireball from the 10.5 that is clearly visible in the daylight.

I'm not the first to say "Shoot the Gun" but it's good advise. I wanted to see how a Battlecomp worked on a 10.5 inch barrel. I very much like how it makes the recoil feel and I like how it reduces muzzle rise. But on a barrel this short, the report is brutal and the fireball washes out the sight picture. So brutal and so bright, a well respected instructor flat out told me it wouldn't be allowed on his range. It will be replaced with an A2 until I can swing a suppressor

rero360
07-21-15, 10:53
When I was in Afghanistan one of the guys on my team had a BC on his M4, when we do range days it sucked being next to him, even doubling up with ear pro, the report of it was so bassy that it would just pound you in the head and chest, after about a dozen mags or so standing next to him I would start to feel physically ill and have a headache. Never experienced that with the A2s. I think the only other time that has happened to me was at Fort Indian Town Gap when we had to shoot a pallet of .50 in one night, couple of hours of 4 M2s running at near non stop cyclic.

Granted, I imagine the same thing would have occurred if he had been running pretty much any muzzle brake as well, I know my SureFires are pretty brutal when you're standing to the sides of them.

markm
07-21-15, 17:01
I think it's a great SBR mount idea. Perfect for taking the brutality off your can's blast baffle. On a 10.5 with no suppressor though? It's brutal.

Stickman
07-22-15, 19:48
I think it's a great SBR mount idea. Perfect for taking the brutality off your can's blast baffle. On a 10.5 with no suppressor though? It's brutal.

On a 10.5 most muzzle devices are varying levels of brutality when you are looking at comps. Actually, most of the time with any muzzle device absent a can.

Sparky5019
07-23-15, 15:29
While I've not used a BC on my 10.3 or with a can, I did use them on my BCM 14.5 mid and 16". They are loud and the recoil was odd for me as well. That said, I have a SF brake on my 10.3 and it's not as bad unsuppressed as the BC was on my 14.5 mid. The SF brake is holding up well as a blast baffle when suppressed with my SF SOCOM RC.

I wanted to like the BC. It just didn't make it for me.

Tzook
07-24-15, 08:43

Yuuuuppp. IMO there are wayyyyyyyyyyyy better choices out there than a battlecomp. Yeah it's a great comp, and yeah it'll make your ears bleed. Tons of less concussive choices out there.

Ned Christiansen
07-24-15, 09:35
"What NOT to bring: Do not have a muzzle brake on either rifle unless it is also a QD attachment for a suppressor and you will be running 100% suppressed. They are just too loud and hazardous. A brake will be defined as having a blast face restricting forward-moving gasses, with a pass-through hole that is slightly larger than the bullet, with the design intent of redirecting gasses in some direction other than out the front. This includes the XXXXXXX and the XXXXXXXX comp. Any kind of open flash hider is fine, KX3’s are fine. We will have A-1 style flash hiders available for $10 (or loan) should someone have the need. We will have the ability to change them out as long as they are not pinned and welded."

Just my $.02.... excerpt from class info. I have not seen one yet that I think is OK for a Patrol Rifle / SD application.

markm
07-24-15, 19:31
Just my $.02.... excerpt from class info. I have not seen one yet that I think is OK for a Patrol Rifle / SD application.

That's funny and true. I remember doing a low/high criss cross thingy in a doorway where my shooting partner was in the high position with his flash hider 10.5. WOW. I can't imagine if he'd had a brake.

MistWolf
07-25-15, 12:04
Yuuuuppp. IMO there are wayyyyyyyyyyyy better choices out there than a battlecomp. Yeah it's a great comp, and yeah it'll make your ears bleed. Tons of less concussive choices out there.

I'd rather shoot next to a guy with a Battlecomp on a 16 inch than a guy with a brake on any length barrel

djegators
07-25-15, 13:40
Good review, and lots of useful feedback.

markm
07-26-15, 09:54
I'd rather shoot next to a guy with a Battlecomp on a 16 inch than a guy with a brake on any length barrel

Yeah. The BC is much less obnoxious than most brakes.

djegators
07-26-15, 17:42
Who has feedback on using something like a BCM Mod 0 or Mod 1 comp on a SBR?

mtdawg169
07-26-15, 19:25
Who has feedback on using something like a BCM Mod 0 or Mod 1 comp on a SBR?
I used on on an 11.5" SBR. It worked fairly well, but had a tendency to shower sparks in all directions.