PDA

View Full Version : Glock Gen 4 Mag Release In Gen 3 Frame?

officerX
07-21-15, 23:45
Does anyone know if it's possible to modify a gen 3 frame to accept a gen 4 mag release? And no, I don't just want to add some aftermarket extended mag release. Thanks.

jpmuscle
07-22-15, 00:07
I went through this dilemma awhile back when I had a few gen 3 guns. Short answer is yes, it's doable. Pretty straight forward job with a quality set of fine mini files that have a safe edge. There are a few tutorials I remember seeing online so I'll see if I can find them.
Just go slow.

I ended up selling my gen3 guns for gen 4s but now I'm divesting from most of the platforms I have focusing solely on gen3 glocks, most for parts compatibility. That shorter gen 4 frames do nothing for me. So I'll likely be going down this path again in the near future. Good timing OP

Hwikek
07-22-15, 01:24
I ended up selling my gen3 guns for gen 4s but now I'm divesting from most of the platforms I have focusing solely on gen3 glocks, most for parts compatibility. That shorter gen 4 frames do nothing for me. So I'll likely be going down this path again in the near future. Good timing OP

What caused you to shift away from the Gen 4 guns? Right now I'm trying to decide if a new G19 is still giving me brass to face or if it's finally in the clear. I've never really noticed much difference between the frames of the Gen 3 and 4 to be honest but I don't own any Gen 1-3 pistols so perhaps it's just due to a minimal level of exposure?

G19A3
07-22-15, 12:23
Does anyone know if it's possible to modify a gen 3 frame to accept a gen 4 mag release? And no, I don't just want to add some aftermarket extended mag release. Thanks.

I have been thinking the same exact thing. The only issue I have is:

1. I have loooong "standardized" on the G19-Gen3, which I also EDC. Having molested, but never CCW a G19-Gen4, the mag release looks vulnerable to accidental mag release, either in/from a holster or while shooting (I don't shoot high thumbs). I know this can't be the case as that complaint would've been spread high and low all over the internet.

I went through this dilemma awhile back when I had a few gen 3 guns. Short answer is yes, it's doable. Pretty straight forward job with a quality set of fine mini files that have a safe edge. There are a few tutorials I remember seeing online so I'll see if I can find them.
Just go slow.

I look forward to any links you can provide.

Wouldn't parts commonality between Gen3/Gen3 and Gen4/Gen4 be very similar? Could you elaborate on your reasoning of "Gen3 part compatibility?" Is it because there are waaay more Gen3's out there compared to Gen4's?