PDA

View Full Version : In Search Of A Panel Loading Pack

coastwatcher42
07-22-15, 04:43
As all of my current packs are top loaders, I have recently been searching for a panel loader. The criteria for my new pack is:
1) Capacity around 45 liters +/-
2) Must have a frame
3) Quality construction
4) Must have a padded waist belt with PALS webbing
5) Must be available in Multicam
6) Hydration compatability is not an issue as I prefer water bottles
7) Should have PALS webbing on exterior of pack
8) Modular pockets a plus
9) Prefer to stay under $300 but would go more for right pack

So far, the Eberlestock Halftrack and 5.11 Rush 72 seem to be my best bets. Although not a true panel loader, the USGI MOLLE II Medium Rucksack appears to be an option also.

Any suggestions? How about some feedback from guys who own any of the above listed packs.

GJG
07-25-15, 07:24
I don't own either of those or any multicam, but I have some Mystery Ranch backpacking stuff that works well for me. May be above your stated price range, but you could look at one of their bigger assault bags.

Jaysop
07-25-15, 07:45
Eberlestock makes great stuff, 5.11 makes ok stuff...

Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Eberlestock, and Tactical tailor make great gear.
There are quite a few more optiond out there as well.

Allen
07-25-15, 18:33
I don't own either of those or any multicam, but I have some Mystery Ranch backpacking stuff that works well for me. May be above your stated price range, but you could look at one of their bigger assault bags.

I'll second Mystery Ranch. Great packs, bombproof. Weight penalty compared to a commercial or UL pack however. I've been using a 3DAP for the last few months for 2-3 day overnights & commuting for work projects. Get an extra set of velcro keepers from MR - IIRC $2 for 10 - when you order. They charge full S&H on every order but that's due to the time for staff. Call as they will have products on hand that are not online.

Allen

remington79
07-29-15, 14:20
I don't know how big liters are but Mystery Ranch has their tri-zip packs. They don't make the BigHorn anymore but it is 3000 cubic inches. They have some other tri-zips around that size. Their larger stuff has slits down the sides to get to gear in the middle.

coastwatcher42
07-29-15, 16:24
Thanks for the replies guys. I found a real good deal on a MOLLE II medium pack and ordered it today. With the role that I have envisioned for this pack, it would be hard to justify putting too much money into it.

Ledanek
08-02-15, 23:38
wow, just missed this.
I'm selling my Arc'teryx Echo Pack (Short) (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?172135-Arc-Teryx-LEAF-ECHO-PACK-Crocodile-Short-New-with-Tag-460)

sorry, I skipped your budget. good luck on your pack, hope you can do a review

KiloSierra
08-20-15, 19:54
I don't know how big liters are

1 liter = 61 cubic inches.