PDA

View Full Version : MK6 vs VCOG

cop1211
07-22-15, 16:22
I'm interested in these 2 scopes for a factory KAC 14.5. Looking for some input in reference to the MK6 on 1x at 0-10 yards. I've got plenty of Aimpoints, and not interested in any other scopes.

Anybody have some time with either or both any info would be appreciated.

I've hit the search button as well as Google for 2 hours.

Seems like there is conflicting info for both as far as daytime illumination, and if the MK6 is good to go at room distance.

Thank you

jwfuhrman
07-22-15, 16:26
Ive owned both. The Mk6 is in my opinion the ckear winner. Better glass, better reticle especially on lower powers.

cop1211
07-22-15, 19:14
So no issues with the MK6 up close? How about the "flickering " issues some were reporting, overblown?
Thanks

thmpr
07-22-15, 21:42
The flickering issue was caused by improper cheek placement. I currently own 4 MK6 and very happy with it.

Singlestack Wonder
07-22-15, 21:50
I too own a MK6 1-6x. I evaluated the Vortex 1-6x, VCOG, and Makes 1-6x. For my purposes, the MK6 featured better overall functionality. The CMR-W reticle is a well thought out tool. The reticle at 1x is Aimpoint bright. As far as flickering, if one's head starts moving beyond the eyebox perimeter, the illumination will appear to get dimmed. The illumination itself is not changing but the eye is moving outside of the selected area. This has been a non-issue for me.

HKGuns
07-22-15, 22:05
MK6 is a great scope. The weight is the best part.

You should probably read the SME's views on VCOG's before you jump on that one.

PatrioticDisorder
07-22-15, 22:19
So no issues with the MK6 up close? How about the "flickering " issues some were reporting, overblown?
Thanks

I decided on a Kahles K16i instead (winner in direct comparison to the Mk6 & VCOG IMO), but between the 2 I'd take the Mk6, better field of view, better glass, better reticle, better illumination. The flicker is a non issue, you only notice it as your head is leaving the eyebox.

Not my video, but this is a Mk6 3-18 showing the "flicker", you can see it as the camera moves out of the eyebox, it's the same deal with the 1-6 (and CQBSS for that matter), non issue.

http://youtu.be/q9yhgABY97c

And a video of the CQBSS showing the "flicker"

http://youtu.be/NWsZqNz5vis

Koshinn
07-22-15, 22:32
I own a CQBSS and the flickering isn't an issue. The only real "issue" is the 24 hr battery life, give or take.

PatrioticDisorder
07-22-15, 23:08
I own a CQBSS and the flickering isn't an issue. The only real "issue" is the 24 hr battery life, give or take.

Relatively short battery life is a short coming experienced by all daylight bright LPV's, no free lunch in that department.

Koshinn
07-22-15, 23:17
Relatively short battery life is a short coming experienced by all daylight bright LPV's, no free lunch in that department.

USO got around the problem by having an aimpoint style dot in the SFP, and thus has high battery life AND a daylight visible dot. I think Leupold does that too with their firedot, right?

Singlestack Wonder
07-22-15, 23:33
Leupold uses a fiber optic cable to bring the illumination to the reticle, thus the reason only the dot (end of fiber cable) is illuminated.

Zane1844
07-23-15, 01:14
I never use the illumination on the MK6 in the day, and with the CMR-W reticle it works fine. I have to have it at around 1.5x though.

PatrioticDisorder
07-23-15, 05:55
USO got around the problem by having an aimpoint style dot in the SFP, and thus has high battery life AND a daylight visible dot. I think Leupold does that too with their firedot, right?

I vaguely remember the USO advertising like 10,000 hour life, but then reading somewhere else it's not a 10,000 hour life on one battery, that's the expected life of the illumination overall before it burns out, battery life was 100 hours and who knows on what setting. I may be wrong about the battery life, but I lacked the ambition to look further as the USO's had too many other negatives for me to consider (small eye box, tiny field of view, distorted glass). I have no idea about the firedot's battery life but I really do doubt it's much better. Best bet with any LPV is to bulk buy CR2032 and carry an extra battery or two and change batteries often.

apg0601
07-23-15, 21:52
I have a MK6 and have handled a VCOG. As stated MK6 battery life is not great, but with the CMR-W reticle it is usable 25 yards and closer. I'm not as fast with it compared to an Aimpoint but that was a trade off I was willing to accept. The VCOG I handled was a let down. It was a demo model and I didn't get to shoot it but didn't do anything better then the MK6 other then using an AA battery. As others have identified the eye box is poor and its heavy.

cop1211
07-23-15, 21:55
Thanks to all for the info, I just went for a good deal on the MK6, hopefully it will be good to go.

cbx
07-24-15, 08:30
On the subject of fire dot illumination, it works really well. I'm about a year and a half on the same battery. I run the rifle 2-5 hours a month usually. Sometimes a bit more on shoot days with friends. If it's dimmer than new I can't tell. It's still daylight bright. It's been pretty impressive that way.

cbx
07-24-15, 08:33
Thanks to all for the info, I just went for a good deal on the MK6, hopefully it will be good to go.
Let us know what you think of it.