PDA

View Full Version : July 24, 2007

Eurodriver
07-24-15, 07:29
https://tneria01.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/heros-dont-come-home-rip-kilo.png

What was the point...

SteyrAUG
07-24-15, 15:12
At the time? Guarding a convoy, protecting lives.

In the big picture with context of time passed. I probably don't have an acceptable answer.

Moose-Knuckle
07-24-15, 15:17
Euro, I assume those Marines were your brothers.

You have my sincerest condolences, fair winds and following seas to the fallen.

During OIF I remember reading a pic someone snapped from inside a restroom stall on a Marine post. Scrawled inside was; "The US Marine Corps is at war and America is at the mall". I think that speaks volumes.

Caeser25
07-24-15, 16:57
Euro, I assume those Marines were your brothers.

You have my sincerest condolences, fair winds and following seas to the fallen.

During OIF I remember reading a pic someone snapped from inside a restroom stall on a Marine post. Scrawled inside was; "The US military is at war and America is at the mall". I think that speaks volumes.

I had that statement hanging in my cubicle next to flag after I got out. I couldn't believe how many people asked what it meant.

jpmuscle
07-24-15, 16:57
I'm sorry to hear Euro..

C-grunt
07-25-15, 13:54
Rest in Peace gentlemen.

Euro, if you need anyone to talk to or vent or anything there are plenty of us here that understand. Only a PM away.

William B.
07-25-15, 14:19
What was the point...

I ask myself the same question sometimes, brother. I'm sorry for the loss of these fine Marines and Doc.

MountainRaven
07-25-15, 15:31
At the time? Guarding a convoy, protecting lives.

In the big picture with context of time passed. I probably don't have an acceptable answer.

"In the big picture," often leads one towards nihilism: We're all a bunch of microscopic specs of dust on a tiny rock hurling through the vast nothingness of space, all of which ultimately signifies nothing. I don't like that big picture, however true it may or may not be. I prefer the big picture that we're ghosts driving meat-coated skeletons made from stardust.

In that big picture, they impacted everyone the every met, everyone they ever knew. In the course of their lives, they protected the lives of others. Their actions will, have, and continue to ripple and echo. Like a voice in a noisy room, you may not notice it, but that does not mean it isn't there. And obviously the closer you are, the easier it is to notice.

The words are not hugely resonant. But I feel the tone and meaning is. This is a quote I like to think of whenever someone says or believes that a good act, however grand or minuscule, is futile:
"The cave digging may be futile. The stand on Iwo may be futile. The whole war may be futile. But would you give up then? If our children can live safely for one more day, it'll be worth one more day that we defend this island!"
-栗林忠道 (General Kuribayashi Tadamichi, IJA), Letters From Iwo Jima

ETA: I'm aware of the irony of attempting to console a Marine using a quote from somebody who is perhaps most famous for trying to kill as many Marines as he could. Just FYI.

cinco
07-25-15, 15:45
Skål

My condolences. ^ I think Fjallhrafn did well with this one.

BIGUGLY
07-25-15, 18:02
I know we have all been told that time helps heal. Well it only dulls the pain and even that cannot be guaranteed. My condolences. Its always hard to find any reasoning behind it, the only thing I think of is whether military or leo is that those we lose I take pride in knowing they were better people than most and answered a calling that we all know most could not even come close to answering, that someday their life and sacrifice might be spoken of and show others what sacrifice and pride really are.

Again sir my condolences, have a drink or cigar or just sit an reminisce in their honor, even if it brings tears.

SeriousStudent
07-25-15, 23:23
Never, never, never forget the brothers that went before you. You will see them again on the other side.

The lives they touched were made richer. Raise a glass the memories they gave you, so a little bit of them lives forever.

Averageman
07-26-15, 14:21
To the fallen.

ex95B10
07-26-15, 17:08
I prefer to believe that everything in life is touched or caused by the butterfly effect.
Quote: The butterfly effect is the sensitive dependence on initial conditions in which a small change in one state of a deterministic nonlinear system can result in large differences in a later state.

You can help steer the course of the butterfly effect to insure that it has a more positive outcome or in other words, make something positive come out of something negative.

I am the Captain of my ship and only I can steer it towards the rocks or away, I am the true master of my own destiny and I choose to honor those before me by making my future as great and special as I can make it.