PDA

View Full Version : Expendables 4

RWCRaiden
07-25-15, 08:33
Being a fan of the franchise, I've been reading up on the rumors of the supposed 4th installment. Hulk Hogan as the bad guy, adding more people the cast, etc.

I wonder if Hulk would have his offer retracted for his "racist" comments that led to him being fired from the WWE?

Anyways, just wanted to see your thoughts on it. Granted, they aren't great movies, but they are entertaining for what they are. Who doesn't like mindless action movies like this though?

I'd personally like to see them tone down on the ensemble cast because it's just getting ridiculous. None of the actors really have much screen time at all and there's no character or plot development. I also think they should make an R rated flick again.

Abraham
07-25-15, 10:46
I've seen them all up to date and find them kinda like cartoons with over the top fun.

As for H.H., I haven't a clue as to what he said, but I'd like to see the same excoriating treatment given to racists who aren't white when they make racists comments...

RWCRaiden
07-25-15, 10:57
I agree about the comments. It's like the whole mentality anymore is only white people can be racist.

Anyways, I like the over the top fun. You can't not have a smirk whilst watching guys like Arnie and Stallone do what they do best, in all their hip firing, with supreme accuracy, and steroid infused glory.

Talon167
07-25-15, 15:19
As a big fan of the cheesey 80s movies, I hope they make another.

They need to bring Michael Beihn in to #4 if they do indeed make one. Reiss/Hicks needs in there. Bill Paxton and Lance Henrickesn, too. If for no other reason they're the only actors to fight a Terminator, Predator, and Alien.

RWCRaiden
07-25-15, 15:25
As a big fan of the cheesey 80s movies, I hope they make another.

They need to bring Michael Beihn in to #4 if they do indeed make one. Reiss/Hicks needs in there. Bill Paxton and Lance Henrickesn, too. If for no other reason they're the only actors to fight a Terminator, Predator, and Alien.

Bill Paxton lost. To both.

I think Michael Beihn would be a solid addition to the cast also. I feel like he never really got a chance to make it. I choose to blame his involvement in Navy SEALs. Terrible flick.

MountainRaven
07-25-15, 15:35
It's Michael Biehn, not Beihn. ;)

At this point, I assume that if they keep making them that they will (hopefully) be like the Fast & Furious movies: Really crappy getting started but once the franchise finds its tone (like The Expendables did with the third movie), they just keep getting better and better. But still cheesy and over-the-top.

MegademiC
07-25-15, 15:49
Shoot, I need to watch 3 still.

RWCRaiden
07-25-15, 16:43
Stallone has such a simple but golden process to movies. Have a bad guy who is totally unlikeable and does something horrible. Said bad guy always seems to have financed his own private army, then you have a vastly outnumbered group of likeable good guys to save the day with totally over the top wholesome American violence. Quality.

jpmuscle
07-25-15, 17:12
Stallone has such a simple but golden process to movies. Have a bad guy who is totally unlikeable and does something horrible. Said bad guy always seems to have financed his own private army, then you have a vastly outnumbered group of likeable good guys to save the day with totally over the top wholesome American violence. Quality.
We're really such a simplistic culture when you think about it lol

RWCRaiden
07-26-15, 17:15
I'm ok with simple. It's theoretically harder to screw up.

MountainRaven
07-26-15, 23:11

Sounds like he stole the concept from Mel Gibson.

;)

BuzzinSATX
08-03-15, 07:21
I don't care who the bad guy is...just bring back Chuck Norris for another cameo!

Take Care,

Buzz

WillBrink
08-03-15, 09:07
I had difficulty making it through the first one as a rental is was so stupid. Even under silly fun, I couldn't make it work for me. I passed on all further installments. Would have taken so little to make them good silly fun.

Gunfixr
08-03-15, 09:07
The chuck norris cameos were a great add.
Michael biehn would be good, as well as paxton.

Stallones whole point was to do a movie giving a throwback to the cheesy over the top action movies of the 80s, with their unbelievable, but entertaining action. Even to use the actors that starred in them.

Clearly, it has been a hit. I have enjoyed the first three, just taking them for what they are.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

MountainRaven
08-03-15, 09:39
I don't care who the bad guy is...just bring back Chuck Norris for another cameo!

Take Care,

Buzz

Apparently, Chuck Norris wasn't happy with the swearing and graphic violence. If that's true, I wouldn't expect him to feature unless he either gets a lot more money for it or gets over himself.

I had difficulty making it through the first one as a rental is was so stupid. Even under silly fun, I couldn't make it work for me. I passed on all further installments. Would have taken so little to make them good silly fun.

The first one was really stupid and, worse, it couldn't decide what its tone was going to be.

They got that mostly squared away in the second one. I think the third is the best of the bunch, though.

I probably won't watch any of them ever again, but if I do, the only one I would watch again would be the third one.

Abraham
08-03-15, 10:07
Chuck Norris must in his what - 70's/80's?

Of course, the entire movie is done by geriatrics.

WillBrink
08-03-15, 10:20
Apparently, Chuck Norris wasn't happy with the swearing and graphic violence. If that's true, I wouldn't expect him to feature unless he either gets a lot more money for it or gets over himself.

The first one was really stupid and, worse, it couldn't decide what its tone was going to be.

They got that mostly squared away in the second one. I think the third is the best of the bunch, though.

I probably won't watch any of them ever again, but if I do, the only one I would watch again would be the third one.

Good to know. Maybe I'll give II-III a try then.

ramairthree
08-03-15, 10:51
I thought 2 was hilarious and liked it most.

Jellybean
08-03-15, 16:42

At this point, I assume that if they keep making them that they will (hopefully) be like the Fast & Furious movies: Really crappy getting started but once the franchise finds its tone (like The Expendables did with the third movie), they just keep getting better and better. But still cheesy and over-the-top.

WHAT?
You two heretics leave immediately!
:laugh:

Frankly, I thought the first one was the best.
I mean, the "expendables" are a small group of leftovers from ye olden days that are the only folks crazy enough for the .gov to call when they have a totally impossible mission and need a bunch of guys that are maybe partially nuts to do it... The first one (and mostly the second) was that to a "T". Two and three, especially the third, just do not fit that, especially since now you've got like 50 people on screen none of which, (except for Rousey, and of course Banderas[sp?]) are particularly likeable. I mean think about it- take the "new kids" out of # 3 and what do you have? The exact same movie, just with five or six less people.... The new guys just aren't nuts enough for me to buy it. Except Banderas, and Snipes. The new kids just have way to much to live for and let's get real- the Expendables is about a bunch that doesn't give a ****.
And come one- you can NOT deny the epicness of Crews going nuts with the AA12 in Exp.1. Or Stallones epic 1911 triple speed reload. I mean for a guy who supposedly is anti gun.... damn. :laugh:
OK, so #2 had a few of those "moments" that gave #1 a run for it's money, but you could tell it wasn't as good as #1.

That being said... if they could ditch the ultra lame elbow pads and 90's tac vests, that would be great. Haven't they heard of plate carriers? And maybe carrying more than 1 endless magazine in the primary... :rolleyes: