PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane security contracting

Hootiewho
07-22-08, 20:49
Has anyone here worked as a security contractor during/after a major hurricane?

I am looking at working part time for a local company that is getting set up to try and get contracts for security after a bad storm here in SC and possible other areas as well. I have met the guys that will be running the show and they are a good group of guys, so I am thinking about putting my name in the hat for available people should a bad storm hit and they get work. I am just curious as to if any of you guys have done any of this kind of work before and your opinions of it.

If so, how was it?
How long were you away when you worked?
Was the money good?

Pros/cons?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hootie

tinman44
07-23-08, 00:22
i may get flamed for this but. if a disaster hits ga. and they order you to confiscate guns like they did in new orleans, call in sick

evenodds20
07-23-08, 00:37
yo hootie, this isnt the by any chance, Sgt Smith from Shaw AFB in Sc is it? if so email me at lockdownx99@yahoo.com .

Gramps
07-23-08, 01:06
i may get flamed for this but. if a disaster hits ga. and they order you to confiscate guns like they did in new orleans, call in sick

A little off track. Sorry.

? Would confiscating guns from law abiding citizens be in violation to 2nd Amendment?

Or are there exceptions to the Constitution?

Shihan
07-23-08, 01:24
A little off track. Sorry.

? Would confiscating guns from law abiding citizens be in violation to 2nd Amendment?

Or are there exceptions to the Constitution?

Yup but they did during Katrina. They also beat some 1 billion year old Old Lady up for her gun as well.

mark5pt56
07-23-08, 07:24
I haven't

I would reconsider as there's alot of variables.

Who are you working with?
What training has been provided?
If contracting, take a serious look at the said contract-you might be high and dry for the most minute issue.
Constitutional issues as stated and also Use of Force concerns
Liabilities incurred for you and all

That's some of them.

Mjolnir
07-23-08, 09:28
Firearms were also stolen, damaged and confiscated during the big tornado in Kansas last year as well.

I imagine the same was happening in Iowa this year, too.

Elvis269
07-23-08, 18:18
I own and operate a security company here in Texas set up to supply personel for the oil industry in the event of a hurricane/terrosist incident. Just missed out on Dolly hitting too far south. Any Texas LEO's interested PM me...

tinman44
07-23-08, 18:59
Firearms were also stolen, damaged and confiscated during the big tornado in Kansas last year as well.

I imagine the same was happening in Iowa this year, too.

you would think after katrina incident this crap wouldnt happen anymore.

HES
07-23-08, 19:17
Havent worked a ND as a private security contractor but I have worked along side them during a natural disaster. To be honest I think they had it harder than we did. I always had at least a fire team with me at all times. Some places just had one guy sitting there with a .38/.357 by his lonesome with no back up in sight and relief not coming until the end of his shift.

Mjolnir
07-24-08, 22:34
you would think after katrina incident this crap wouldnt happen anymore.
No I wouldn't. Americans have a disease called Ignorance, Arrogance and Apathy (IAA). Just be sure to get your yearly innoculation and you'll be fine. :)

evenodds20
07-25-08, 04:14
i long for the day where someone approaches my house and tells me that im going to surrender the only tool i have to protect my family and my belongings from the idiots out there. i pray that someone attempts this. my plan of having security cameras and intercoms will help me to prevent this, even though they will be meant for intruders. so when they say " we are here to take your firearms" i will be ready with an arsenal to prove them wrong. and then i will take their weapons and add them to my collection. in my opinion, anyone who follows an order such as this one, much less the twit that gives it, is no better than the crackhead looters that are ripping off the good citizens. note that they will be treated as such reguardless of LE orientation, or military.

charger02
07-25-08, 07:40
i long for the day where someone approaches my house and tells me that im going to surrender the only tool i have to protect my family and my belongings from the idiots out there. i pray that someone attempts this. my plan of having security cameras and intercoms will help me to prevent this, even though they will be meant for intruders. so when they say " we are here to take your firearms" i will be ready with an arsenal to prove them wrong. and then i will take their weapons and add them to my collection. in my opinion, anyone who follows an order such as this one, much less the twit that gives it, is no better than the crackhead looters that are ripping off the good citizens. note that they will be treated as such reguardless of LE orientation, or military.

You really "long" and "pray" for the day to take someones life? Or do you just "long" and "pray" for our society to break down to the point where the government deems it necessary to try and confiscate our weapons and thereby giving you a chance to use yours? Both options sound like a bad deal to me.

John_Wayne777
07-25-08, 07:45

As a point of clarification, contractors (at least BW contractors) didn't confiscate anyone's weapons during the Katrina aftermath. There are members of this board who worked contracts during that time and they can give you more information about that.

30 cal slut
07-25-08, 08:10
IIRC, it was California Highway Patrol (?) who did the confiscating.

Anyhoo ...

Public Law 109-295 -- Oct. 4, 2006
SEC. 706. FIREARMS POLICIES

"(a) PROHIBITION ON CONFISCATION OF FIREARMS.--No officer or employee of the United States (including any member of the uniformed services), or person operating pursuant to or under color of federal law, or receiving Federal funds, or under control of any Federal official, or providing services to such an officer, employee, or other person, while acting in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency, may --

"(1) temporarily or permanently seize, or authorize seizure of, any firearm the possession of which is not prohibited under Federal, State, or local law, other than for forfeiture in compliance with Federal law or as evidence in a criminal investigation;

"(2) require registration of any firearm, or promulgate any rule, regulation, or order prohibiting posessesion of any firearm in any place or by any person where such posession is not otherwise prohibited by Federal, state, or local law; or

"(3) prohibit posession of any firearm, or promulgate any rule, regulation, or order prohibiting possession of any firearm in any place or by any person where such possession is not otherwise prohibited by Federal, State, or local law, solely because such person is operating under the direction, control, or supervision of a Federal agency in suport of relief from the major disaster or emergency.

"(b) LIMITATION.--Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit any person in subsection (a) from requiring the temporary surrender of a firearm as a condition for entry into any mode of transportation used for rescue or evacuation during a major disaster or emergency, provided that such temporarily surrendered firearm is returned at the completion of such rescue or evacuation.

tinman44
07-25-08, 10:23
IIRC, it was California Highway Patrol (?) who did the confiscating.

Anyhoo ...

thats not too shocking tbh

Gramps
07-25-08, 11:57
Public Law 109-295 -- Oct. 4, 2006
SEC. 706. FIREARMS POLICIES

"(a) PROHIBITION ON CONFISCATION OF FIREARMS.--No officer or employee of the United States (including any member of the uniformed services), or person operating pursuant to or under color of federal law, or receiving Federal funds, or under control of any Federal official, or providing services to such an officer, employee, or other person, while acting in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency, may --

"(1) temporarily or permanently seize, or authorize seizure of, any firearm the possession of which is not prohibited under Federal, State, or local law, other than for forfeiture in compliance with Federal law or as evidence in a criminal investigation;

"(2) require registration of any firearm, or promulgate any rule, regulation, or order prohibiting posessesion of any firearm in any place or by any person where such posession is not otherwise prohibited by Federal, state, or local law; or

"(3) prohibit posession of any firearm, or promulgate any rule, regulation, or order prohibiting possession of any firearm in any place or by any person where such possession is not otherwise prohibited by Federal, State, or local law, solely because such person is operating under the direction, control, or supervision of a Federal agency in suport of relief from the major disaster or emergency.

"(b) LIMITATION.--Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit any person in subsection (a) from requiring the temporary surrender of a firearm as a condition for entry into any mode of transportation used for rescue or evacuation during a major disaster or emergency, provided that such temporarily surrendered firearm is returned at the completion of such rescue or evacuation.

So am I reading this wright, in that (b) cancells out (a), (1), (2), and (3)?
Or can someone expain what I am missing?:confused:

gyp_c2
07-25-08, 12:37
...no (b) is just for access onto federal vehicle for relocation...also states weapon must be returned after dismounting vehicle...I think...http://emoticons4u.com/smoking/rauch06.gif

Hootiewho
07-26-08, 07:04
You guys might be digging a little too deep into this. The security contracting gig is suppose to be guarding shopping malls and other places of interest, making sure they are not looted or worse. I don't think there were any private firms going around during Katrina depriving people of their rights, I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Iraqgunz
07-26-08, 07:25
Hootie,

No you are not wrong. I highly doubt that anyone here can give any concrete proof of BW, SOC-SMG, Dyn or any other group that was involved with Katrina confiscating weapons. Is it possible that a few guys may have been present with another group when it was happening? Sure, but for the most part all groups on the contractor side of the house were there providing security to various groups (FEMA) or they were contracted to protect high value areas and property.

You guys might be digging a little too deep into this. The security contracting gig is suppose to be guarding shopping malls and other places of interest, making sure they are not looted or worse. I don't think there were any private firms going around during Katrina depriving people of their rights, I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Hootiewho
07-26-08, 12:33
Hootie,

No you are not wrong. I highly doubt that anyone here can give any concrete proof of BW, SOC-SMG, Dyn or any other group that was involved with Katrina confiscating weapons. Is it possible that a few guys may have been present with another group when it was happening? Sure, but for the most part all groups on the contractor side of the house were there providing security to various groups (FEMA) or they were contracted to protect high value areas and property.

That is what I figured. The man that runs the outfit I am looking at is very pro-gun, and a very pro-Bill of Rights kind of guy. He is always sending out emails urging people on his email contact list to contact their congressman/representative about bills/issues that deal with any antigun legislation. He would not stand for any activity that would compromise the Bill of Rights of the US.

Things have been done wrongly in past disasters, but it all comes down to the individuals who made the wrong decision not their employer. They were the ones sworn to uphold the Constitution of the US. If they are not aware of what all that means, then they should not be in a position to step on other peoples rights. If they did know, and knowingly violated citizens 1st, 2nd,.....Amendment Rights, then they should be fired and subject to prosecution; civil and/or criminal.

That is how I look at it.

Situations like Katrina bring out the best and worst in our soceity. I helped my Father make two trips to the SC coast taking supplies to those who weathered out Hugo. We went down as soon as the storm passed. What I saw was this: there are people in our country who view any event like this as an excuse to have a field day, a free day without rules or laws to do as they please. Stealing, robbing, or whatever they want. Then there are people who are in a state of shock as to what just happened, that truely are in need of help and they are likely to be preyed upon by the first group. Bad stuff happened in Katrina, but for every bad thing that happened, there were probably 50-100 good deeds done & people helped. We need not forget that.

JSandi
07-26-08, 22:27
I was in Biloxi last week in Sept to third week in Oct.

Conditions were suck ass

MRE's, hot bottled water, no ice, maybe a shower every other day, the smell, sad situation...

Pay was great, but the checks didn't come till mid December.

Spent my time guarding a huge building owned and operated by AT&T.

The only nice thing about it was the nice old Red Cross Lady who would bring us Chocolate Chip Cookies about twice a week.

Don't want to do it again...

:(

JediMindTricks
07-27-08, 16:25
Yup but they did during Katrina. They also beat some 1 billion year old Old Lady up for her gun as well.

I saw those bastards. She looked as if you could blow her away, literally with your breath. She was a frail old woman who looked to be in her seventies. SWAT just rushed her, and tackled her to the floor. Total misuse of authority.

JediMindTricks
07-27-08, 16:41
You really "long" and "pray" for the day to take someones life? Or do you just "long" and "pray" for our society to break down to the point where the government deems it necessary to try and confiscate our weapons and thereby giving you a chance to use yours? Both options sound like a bad deal to me.

I think he was figuratively speaking. I don't believe he really wants this to happen....;)

Mjolnir
07-28-08, 22:45
Well, I'm from BTR, LA and I have family in LE who were involved in Katrina. I also have friends who were there from both LA and across the nation. There were mixed responses from all of them

One incident involved one LA citizen and several volunteers from several states (I forget which). There was a traffic incident between the officers and the local. They tried to use their badges to intimidate the guy and it didn't work. They were screaming at each other (no blows or anything) and one of the officers shot him with a less than lethal round - in the eye.

Another incident which did not make the national news was a Blackwater USA (assumed by the ones who were there) guy was found lynched - hanging from a light post with several bags of goods (watches and whatnot) underneath him. Of course, there's no way to tell WHAT happened here.

Then there were the radio reports of all manner of things going on - some I won't repeat here partially because I cannot verify them and they are probably best left for another type of forum

One thing that was BS was the reports of people shooting at helicopters. I know one of the Acadiana EMTs who stated (on TV even) that when they were about to put him down on the ground/roof he stated, "Pull me up! The've got guns!" Several persons on the rooftops said they fired their weapons in the attempt to get the helo's attention during the night but none stated that they fired AT the helos and none of the pilots claimed they were actually shot at or were hit.

There have been tons of stories of abuses in the smaller towns of Mississippi by the LE guys that were roaming around long after the event. Same with the smaller towns in NOLA. I was in NOLA in September of 2007 and 101st Airborne MPs were conducting traffic in New Orleans East...

Either way I cannot quite fathom policing in times like that.

tinman44
07-29-08, 03:21
Things have been done wrongly in past disasters, but it all comes down to the individuals who made the wrong decision not their employer. They were the ones sworn to uphold the Constitution of the US. If they are not aware of what all that means, then they should not be in a position to step on other peoples rights. If they did know, and knowingly violated citizens 1st, 2nd,.....Amendment Rights, then they should be fired and subject to prosecution; civil and/or criminal.

This is all I was trying to say when I apparently poked a hornets nest.

Iraqgunz
07-29-08, 03:36
I want to make sure that I understood this correctly. Are you saying that a BW contractor was found lynched with several bags of "looted" items nearby or that they lynched someone? Either way I will call BS on this in a second. I can almost guarantee that no contractors were killed down there and I will ask a few of my associates who were there with BW at the time as they would know for sure

Mjolnir
07-29-08, 06:08
I want to make sure that I understood this correctly. Are you saying that a BW contractor was found lynched with several bags of "looted" items nearby or that they lynched someone? Either way I will call BS on this in a second. I can almost guarantee that no contractors were killed down there and I will ask a few of my associates who were there with BW at the time as they would know for sure
If you RE-READ CAREFULLY it says what...

"a Blackwater USA (assumed by the ones who were there) guy" was found lynched.

Did the people I know closely inspect the immediate scene and directly participate in the forensic investigation? No, they did not. They were "spirited away". I take this as their participation in the investigation was blocked by securing the immediate area.

I've no reasons to doubt my direct sources. Just as you may have no reasons to doubt your direct sources. Mine saw the body "fully decked out in combat gear, minus weapons, APM haircut swinging from a rope" while others (BW USA guys, presumably) cutting him down while others secured the area (read: told them to vacate the immediate area). There was a lot of news reported in South LA that was not reported across the nation.

Not good times and a vision of things to come? :confused: I wouldn't be surprised as we are heading towards the abyss as a nation and gov't response - any gov't - will tend to be both high and heavy-handed. Perhaps that's the price for we the people being so negligent with regard to vigilance of liberty...

There were MANY abuses in which LEO, NG, contractors and fed employees participated.

Iraqgunz
07-29-08, 08:44
1. I will ask my sources that we were there and see what they say.

2. Everybody thinks that BW was the only company operating in NOLA, just like they think they are the only company in Iraq.

3. Conspiracy theories aside, secrets like that generally do not stay secrets for long. Trust me.

4. I just wanted to be clear on what you were saying because the way it was phrased it wasn't clear to me.

If you RE-READ CAREFULLY it says what...

"a Blackwater USA (assumed by the ones who were there) guy" was found lynched.

Did the people I know closely inspect the immediate scene and directly participate in the forensic investigation? No, they did not. They were "spirited away". I take this as their participation in the investigation was blocked by securing the immediate area.

I've no reasons to doubt my direct sources. Just as you may have no reasons to doubt your direct sources. Mine saw the body "fully decked out in combat gear, minus weapons, APM haircut swinging from a rope" while others (BW USA guys, presumably) cutting him down while others secured the area (read: told them to vacate the immediate area). There was a lot of news reported in South LA that was not reported across the nation.

Not good times and a vision of things to come? :confused: I wouldn't be surprised as we are heading towards the abyss as a nation and gov't response - any gov't - will tend to be both high and heavy-handed. Perhaps that's the price for we the people being so negligent with regard to vigilance of liberty...

There were MANY abuses in which LEO, NG, contractors and fed employees participated.

Mjolnir
07-29-08, 17:50
1. I will ask my sources that we were there and see what they say.

2. Everybody thinks that BW was the only company operating in NOLA, just like they think they are the only company in Iraq.

3. Conspiracy theories aside, secrets like that generally do not stay secrets for long. Trust me.

4. I just wanted to be clear on what you were saying because the way it was phrased it wasn't clear to me.

You're correct on all accounts. No problems.

John_Wayne777
07-29-08, 18:06
A contractor? Lynched?

I've met and talked to guys who were down there for Katrina, and that's the FIRST I've heard of that.

RallySoob
07-30-08, 10:09

+1 Don't even try that martial law shiz where I live...

A contractor? Lynched?

I've met and talked to guys who were down there for Katrina, and that's the FIRST I've heard of that.

NOt referring to Katrina, but Iraq security ops

Hootiewho
07-30-08, 11:26

And of course there were no rapes, killings, or any wrong doings what so ever by the wonderful citizens of New Orleans to bring about needed law and order, right?

Gramps
07-30-08, 11:54
And of course there were no rapes, killings, or any wrong doings what so ever by the wonderful citizens of New Orleans to bring about needed law and order, right?

Food for thought. Do TWO wrongs, MAKE a Right?

Which one is supposed to be a PROFESHIONAL?

Granted there is a society breakdown here, which should in NO way work its way into the PROFESHIONALS who are to serve and protect, not lower themselves to the VERMON they are dealing with.

Unfortunately there is bad in all walks of life, but we do not need to use them as an excuse to lower ourselves to that/their level.

Not everyone is guilty.

Just my $.02. I will now get of my soapbox, and give some else their turn.

Hootiewho
07-30-08, 14:19
Another incident which did not make the national news was a Blackwater USA (assumed by the ones who were there) guy was found lynched - hanging from a light post with several bags of goods (watches and whatnot) underneath him. Of course, there's no way to tell WHAT happened here.

OK, people are going out of their way to push huge amounts of clothes and TVs in shopping carts & small boats back to their homes. Stores are being looted everywhere. Why do I not buy that "several bags of goods (watches and whatnot)" were left at the scene of this "lynching". If whoever lynched this guy and went through with killing him, why leave the loot?

Why do I not buy this?

Mjolnir
07-30-08, 19:23
OK, people are going out of their way to push huge amounts of clothes and TVs in shopping carts & small boats back to their homes. Stores are being looted everywhere. Why do I not buy that "several bags of goods (watches and whatnot)" were left at the scene of this "lynching". If whoever lynched this guy and went through with killing him, why leave the loot?

Why do I not buy this?
I dunno. Perhaps you feel only the poor, wretched and ill-thinking persons could stoop to breaking the law under those circumstances. You got me. :rolleyes:

JSandi
07-31-08, 00:34
Gun confiscation: Were talking about NOPD, one of the most corrupt police departments in the USA.

As far as the Blackwater rumors, I was there and saw/hear/or took part in any such BS.

Typical Internet rumor, think the lynching story is the one from Iraq where they strung up the bodies of the BW contractors who were killed in the firefight.

Iraqgunz
07-31-08, 02:04
Actually if you read his post, what he is saying is that the so-called bag of loot would have disappeared from the scene and would have been no where around. I have received a few replies from my guys and every one has said that the lynching thing is bullshit.

I dunno. Perhaps you feel only the poor, wretched and ill-thinking persons could stoop to breaking the law under those circumstances. You got me. :rolleyes:

MIKE G
07-31-08, 11:13

Iraqgunz
07-31-08, 13:26
Doc,

Whereabouts are you in Iraq? I am in the IZ.

I worked with a BW guy that worked katrina for a while on one of my teams in Iraq and we discussed the CONUS work quite a bit. He never mentioned a contractor being killed.

DOC

luxor
07-31-08, 14:36
I was there two days after the storm and i never saw or heard of a contractor being killed. Blackwater or otherwise.