PDA

View Full Version : General Russel Honore on guns (fail)

WillBrink
07-27-15, 21:46
This guy is epic fail. This is the state of our generals?

Retired U.S. Army Gen. Russel Honore, Louisiana's most well-known 21st century military hero, said America is mired in a state of denial about its gun culture and that's harming the country.

"As a country we're in a state of denial because we've confused the right to bear arms with the right to carry arms all the time anywhere or anyplace you want," Honore told Gannett Louisiana on Monday. "We have to have a different kind of conversation in America and be prepared to speak about the politically unspeakable."

Honore said the string of recent mass gun murders — culminating with the tragic movie theater shooting in Lafayette Thursday in which two victims died — should provide a wake up call.

"It breaks my heart to see that happen in my home state or anywhere in America," he said. "We've got a problem in this country, and at some point the politicians have to get down into the community and find some answers to this problem."

Honore had considered running for governor this fall but decided against making the race earlier this summer.

The retired army general, best known for his role leading the Hurricane Katrina recovery in New Orleans, said during his time in the military soldiers "were required to clear their weapons and turn them in as soon as they came in from the field."

"The best place for weapons when you're not in the field is to be locked up in the garrison," Honore' said. "Our biggest problem before Desert Storm was (soldiers) accidentally firing their weapons, and they're trained.

"I've been around guns all my life, but when I was growing up they were locked in the cabinet unless you needed them for hunting."

Honore also said he disagrees with those advocating for military men and women at recruitment offices to be armed. Some armed civilians have taken it upon themselves to stand guard at recruitment locations since the mass shooting at a Tennessee office this summer.

One such civilian accidentally fired a round at an Ohio recruitment office last week. Nobody was injured.

"I don't think it's a good idea to arm military at the recruitment offices or to have civilians there with guns," Honore said. "That's the job of law enforcement. On our bases, yes, we guard our gates and our bases, but not at the recruitment offices."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/07/27/honore-americas-denial-gun-culture/30764255/?hootPostID=6883abd2aa68baffefffd09b8865f20e

SeriousStudent
07-27-15, 22:02
The General is right. I don't think it's a good idea for him to have easy access to guns, and he should keep all of his locked up in the cabinet.

But I will do with mine what I need, thankyouverymuch.

SteyrAUG
07-28-15, 00:20
Actually the more correct statement would be "As a country we're in a state of denial because we've confused disarming dangerously unstable and violent people with making them safe to to be walking around in society."

Even if you could ACTUALLY disarm them, and that is one hell of an IF, they are still dangerously unstable and violent people. So unless we are willing to do background checks for a gallon of gasoline and a book of matches, we are still in the same kind of danger from "dangerously unstable and violent people."

Wouldn't be too difficult for a guy like Holmes to kill EVERYONE in the theater with a few gallons of gasoline and matches. Wouldn't take too much imagination to disable emergency exit doors, but I'm not going to go into detail.

Honu
07-28-15, 00:55
IMHO Generals are political people not much more these days

SteyrAUG
07-28-15, 01:03
IMHO Generals are political people not much more these days

Yes, and like politicians, they need to be reminded when they are FOS.

Alpha-17
07-28-15, 01:06
The retired army general, best known for his role leading the Hurricane Katrina recovery in New Orleans,

There ya go. If he was a "leader" during that fiasco, he was probably involved in the mandatory disarmament of the people trapped in New Orleans.

It's honestly not surprising to see a former high ranking officer being anti-gun. The military in general has a very anti-personally owned firearms stance, and that's got to come from somewhere, and certainly will rub off on people rising through the ranks with it.

Honu
07-29-15, 03:35
and he somehow became a General and is known for one of the biggest mess ups ? not a very good known for
I would think a general should be known for other things :)

There ya go. If he was a "leader" during that fiasco, he was probably involved in the mandatory disarmament of the people trapped in New Orleans.

It's honestly not surprising to see a former high ranking officer being anti-gun. The military in general has a very anti-personally owned firearms stance, and that's got to come from somewhere, and certainly will rub off on people rising through the ranks with it.

Vic303
07-29-15, 05:42
Yep, epic fail! I say that guy Honore is a politician in a uniform...

Averageman
07-29-15, 06:19
This guy is epic fail. This is the state of our generals?

Retired U.S. Army Gen. Russel Honore, Louisiana's most well-known 21st century military hero, said America is mired in a state of denial about its gun culture and that's harming the country.

"As a country we're in a state of denial because we've confused the right to bear arms with the right to carry arms all the time anywhere or anyplace you want," Honore told Gannett Louisiana on Monday. "We have to have a different kind of conversation in America and be prepared to speak about the politically unspeakable."

Honore said the string of recent mass gun murders — culminating with the tragic movie theater shooting in Lafayette Thursday in which two victims died — should provide a wake up call.

"It breaks my heart to see that happen in my home state or anywhere in America," he said. "We've got a problem in this country, and at some point the politicians have to get down into the community and find some answers to this problem."

Honore had considered running for governor this fall but decided against making the race earlier this summer.

The retired army general, best known for his role leading the Hurricane Katrina recovery in New Orleans, said during his time in the military soldiers "were required to clear their weapons and turn them in as soon as they came in from the field."

"The best place for weapons when you're not in the field is to be locked up in the garrison," Honore' said. "Our biggest problem before Desert Storm was (soldiers) accidentally firing their weapons, and they're trained.

"I've been around guns all my life, but when I was growing up they were locked in the cabinet unless you needed them for hunting."

Honore also said he disagrees with those advocating for military men and women at recruitment offices to be armed. Some armed civilians have taken it upon themselves to stand guard at recruitment locations since the mass shooting at a Tennessee office this summer.

One such civilian accidentally fired a round at an Ohio recruitment office last week. Nobody was injured.

"I don't think it's a good idea to arm military at the recruitment offices or to have civilians there with guns," Honore said. "That's the job of law enforcement. On our bases, yes, we guard our gates and our bases, but not at the recruitment offices."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/07/27/honore-americas-denial-gun-culture/30764255/?hootPostID=6883abd2aa68baffefffd09b8865f20e

To be fair to General Honore, he had his time. In his time he was an excellent Leader.
Having been a Tank Commander when he was our Community Commander, I can assure you this guy, at that time was a Soldiers, Soldier. He was key in implementing a lot of policies that got toxic leadership at Company and Platoon levels removed in order to facilitate a better Command and better training.
He was at the time the complete opposite of the "Go along to Get along Gang."
I'm not sure what has changed for him. I'm not sure how far removed from reality he has become, but I have seen many older guys who have reached a level of achievement develop an attitude like this. I think they just become removed from the reality of what is going on around them.
Also, I think we all know we can't trust the media, I'm wondering how much spin has been put on this before it hit USA Today, but I wouldn't be surprised.
This is hard for me to understand because during his time we had armed guards walking and in stationary positions on anything and everything in that military community that could shoot move or communicate and we were dealing with the terror threat in Europe in the '80's.
I'm hoping he hasn't gone too far down that road, but his actions during Katrina would tell me otherwise.

Just as an afterthought, if the folks running the .mil don't want to arm recruiters, then why not post an MP?

KalashniKEV
07-29-15, 11:25
1) All General Officers are anti-gun.

2) As already pointed out, Honore is a total **** up.

3) Honore has tried to extend his 15 minutes of embarrassment several times on the anti-gun issue. As he said in the wake of Ferguson:

"Any time we have policemen pointing weapons at American citizens, they need to go through retraining, and I think we are about 24 hours too late."

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2014/08/ferguson_unrest_prompts_lt_gen.html

Gun Control is what he's trying to pay the bills with in his retirement.

WillBrink
07-29-15, 11:31
To be fair to General Honore, he had his time. In his time he was an excellent Leader.
Having been a Tank Commander when he was our Community Commander, I can assure you this guy, at that time was a Soldiers, Soldier. He was key in implementing a lot of policies that got toxic leadership at Company and Platoon levels removed in order to facilitate a better Command and better training.
He was at the time the complete opposite of the "Go along to Get along Gang."
I'm not sure what has changed for him. I'm not sure how far removed from reality he has become, but I have seen many older guys who have reached a level of achievement develop an attitude like this. I think they just become removed from the reality of what is going on around them.
Also, I think we all know we can't trust the media, I'm wondering how much spin has been put on this before it hit USA Today, but I wouldn't be surprised.
This is hard for me to understand because during his time we had armed guards walking and in stationary positions on anything and everything in that military community that could shoot move or communicate and we were dealing with the terror threat in Europe in the '80's.
I'm hoping he hasn't gone too far down that road, but his actions during Katrina would tell me otherwise.

Just as an afterthought, if the folks running the .mil don't want to arm recruiters, then why not post an MP?

Unless it's a total misquote by the media (perfectly possible) it would seem the man has lost his way. It's also perfectly possible, and not that uncommon, that he's an excellent mil officer who does not "get" the civilian gun ownership and 2A thing. It wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure.

brickboy240
07-29-15, 11:35
Does not surprise me.

Everyone thinks that a retired military officer must be pro-gun when that is many times not true at all. Many have that "Fudd" type of view towards firearms...a sort of elitist view, if you will.

Check out what retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal says about firearms ownership....it is not what you'd expect from someone with his background.

Averageman
07-29-15, 11:48
I'm really not surprised, saddened, but not surprised.
Perhaps what they really need is to take a ride along in some of the more interesting neighborhoods in their area's to get an idea of who guards the gates and walks flank on the property of your average citizen.

KalashniKEV
07-29-15, 12:23
Check out what retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal says about firearms ownership....it is not what you'd expect from someone with his background.

Anyone who knows about McChrystal isn't surprised... he's a hippie.

Why do you think dude totally spilled his guts to some Rolling Stone reporter?

And what was his big gripe that lead to his downfall? That all the guys who hang out with Obama are dumb and that the two times they met, Obama didn't want to be his fist-bumping-homey?

He was a lover spurned.

Recall that he was not critical of the President or his policies.

Sorry for the off topic... it is exactly what you would expect from someone with his background...

Honu
07-29-15, 15:25
I often wonder if its also because they are used to being in charge and like the control over others ? and feel they are more special than those below ?
kinda that elitist thing ya said

agree with your thoughts for sure :)

Does not surprise me.

Everyone thinks that a retired military officer must be pro-gun when that is many times not true at all. Many have that "Fudd" type of view towards firearms...a sort of elitist view, if you will.

Honu
07-29-15, 15:27
my dad was only a captain in the air force and did not want to go any further one thing he said after that things were political with power plays and moves that he hated
seems others I know often say some get higher rank and they change ?
even in the FD when I was in the white hats were more political in power than anything

soulezoo
07-29-15, 16:10
I see it as not being much different than "Police Chiefs Associations" vs the opinion of rank and file cops. The former for gun control and the latter no so much.

C-grunt
07-29-15, 17:51
I see it as not being much different than "Police Chiefs Associations" vs the opinion of rank and file cops. The former for gun control and the latter no so much.

Yep. All of my coworkers in LE (except for one guy who is a German immigrant) are pro 2A. Even the liberal ones. Every one of my military/veteran friends is very pro 2A.