PDA

View Full Version : Charles Daly M4 vs M4LE

crusader377
07-22-08, 23:23
I'm closing in on my first M4 purchase and I'm 90% certain that I will be purchasing one of these two rifles. I'm leaning towards the CD because of the excellent build quality and competitive price. I'm a casual shooter that will probably fire about 1000 rounds per year. I plan on using iron sights for quite awhile. The difference in cost is about $130 to $150 dollars once I add a BUIS to the M4LE.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the regular M4 over the M4LE because I'm not planning on running optics, is less expensive, and I most likely will not have high round counts through my rifle on a regular basis. I know the M4LE has the mil-spec barrel steel and the 1:7 barrel which is a must have for military or other serious users but my days in the Army are behind me.

My question is do you think the regular M4 would work well for me or should I spend a bit more and go with the M4LE?

Thanks for your help!

Ron S.
07-23-08, 00:04
The tighter twist barrel on the LE will be nice so that you can shoot heavier bullets for added accuracy and stability.

GaryXD
07-23-08, 06:41
The LE also has the mil-spec receiver extension.

Bob Reed
07-23-08, 07:13
Hello,

In my view, a weapon should NEVER-EVER be skimped on, and certainly not with lesser quality parts or lesser grades of steel for that matter... Even if your not planning on firing it a lot.

So, I'd get the model that comes with the higher grade of barrel steel, and simply for the higher grade of barrel steel, not the faster 1:7 twist, meaning that I'm not totally against a 1:9 twist barrel, as long as it's made from Mil-B-11595E steel and has a properly cut 5.56 chamber & is chrome lined.

rob_s
07-23-08, 08:57
I'm sure CD will be along shortly, but...

As I understand it the LE has the 4150 1:7 barrel, milspec receiver extension, and no rear sight vs. the basic which has a 4140 1:9 barrel, commercial extension, and a carry handle. I'd pay the extra $50 for the LE and then put an Aimpoint C3 with mount on it for $450, but YMMV.

McQ68
07-23-08, 09:47
I went with the LE because of the higher quality parts. And you really don't know that in the future, you might become interested in an optic, depends on who you shoot with. My box of 1000 rounds arrived yesterday, I'm GTG. :D

Lagadelphia
07-23-08, 09:59
If the price difference is that close, I'd spring for the LE. If we were talking ~$300 difference for your stated use, then I'd have gone with the non LE version.

Charles Daly
07-23-08, 11:04
...I'm a casual shooter that will probably fire about 1000 rounds per year. I plan on using iron sights for quite awhile.

...I'm not planning on running optics, is less expensive, and I most likely will not have high round counts through my rifle on a regular basis. I know the M4LE has the mil-spec barrel steel and the 1:7 barrel which is a must have for military or other serious users but my days in the Army are behind me.

My question is do you think the regular M4 would work well for me or should I spend a bit more and go with the M4LE?

Thanks for your help!

Crusader, in your situation I would probably go with the D-M4. The Chrome lined, Chrome-Moly, 4140 1:9 barrel will be more than adequate for your projected use.

It's a tough call though.

With the D-M4 you get the detachable carry handle, but as mentioned in this thread, with the D-M4LE you get the Mil-spec barrel extension, which makes it much easier for you to upgrade the buttstock some day to brands that only fit a mil-spec tube.

All I can add at this point is thank you for choosing a CD. You will have many years of shooting enjoyment with whatever model you choose.

Paladin4415
07-23-08, 12:05
If you think that you might want to shoot the heavier bullets or upgrade the stock in the future then buy the D-M4LE. If those things are not important to you then the D-M4 should work fine.

HES
07-23-08, 19:24
Probably both will do ya, but for me the only choice was the LE for the upgraded parts.

Henchman
07-23-08, 21:49
You can buy either with confidence but my vote would be for the LE. Mine is now close to 900 rounds with 0 issues.

crusader377
08-05-08, 09:03
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an M4. I ordered a CD M4LE. Should be getting it in about a week or two. This will be my first M4/AR rifle and I think I definitely got a good first rifle.

CDDM416
08-05-08, 10:47
I got to this alittle late, but here goes.
When i got my CD, I was ignorant to the fact that just anyone could get the LE,
So i got the M4, then later found out that I could have gotten the LE, I thought about it for about 2 seconds, and I was convinced that I bought the right gun for me. The only upgrade I did to it was put rails and a light on it. Im certain it will give me years of service.

You already ordered the LE so what I say doesnt matter, but maybe for the next guy, The M4 is worth every penny it cost, :D