PDA

View Full Version : Who here prefers a Revolver over a semi-auto?

Giggles
07-31-15, 14:44
Who here prefers a Revolver over a semi-auto, as a general purpose sidearm? I've long considers revolvers. But in the age of the reliable semi-auto's what does a revolver really offer?

Malamute
07-31-15, 14:50
Who here prefers a Revolver over a semi-auto, as a general purpose sidearm? I've long considers revolvers. But in the age of the reliable semi-auto's what does a revolver really offer?

I do, but most of my use is way out of town in the Rockies. Critters are far more likely to be an issue than people. Even the towns are pretty tame as far as person-on-person crime goes, though a large number of people carry concealed.

qsy
07-31-15, 17:16
I do, but most of my use is way out of town in the Rockies. Critters are far more likely to be an issue than people. Even the towns are pretty tame as far as person-on-person crime goes, though a large number of people carry concealed.

Agree. Model 27,57,29 with a 6+ " barrel is by far my choice when I'm out of town. Speed reloading is usually not a factor, accurate, good choice of ammo.

HKGuns
07-31-15, 22:23
I like both equally.

The right tool to accomplish the job. In bear country I pack one of my S&W 44 Mags. I also pocket carry a J-frame .357 when my clothes dictate that as the best option. There are things you can do with a revolver that you can't do with an auto.

All or nothing, one way or another, is seldom the correct path.

The Dumb Gun Collector
07-31-15, 23:38
Typically a revolver is much lighter and easier for me to carry. Further, it is safe to carry under all conditions and does not even absolutely require a holster. So, for everyday wandering around a revolver is much more convienent for me. For beside the bed duty I run a full size autoloader.

diving dave
08-01-15, 14:49
For me, the only time carrying a wheel gun is up the boonies...6 in. SW 629. We have bears up here and I think my Glock 26 would really make them pissed.....:nono:

HighDesert
08-01-15, 16:16
Like all tools, each one has its place for a given task.

Giggles
08-01-15, 16:46
So you guys have confirmed my theory. That mostly individuals carry and use revolvers for large predator protection.

HighDesert
08-01-15, 18:19
With a toddler in the house I largely stopped carrying my Glocks with one in chamber (after carrying this way my entire life) - flame on, but the odd are vastly greater of an accident at home than me getting jumped and needing those extra few seconds to rack. I will chamber when I am in a situation where it makes sense (going out at night).

With that said, I've carrying my 642 a lot lately due to one always ready yet the pull weight is over 10 pounds.

HighDesert
08-01-15, 18:21
So you guys have confirmed my theory. That mostly individuals carry and use revolvers for large predator protection.

When I lived in NY, my 686+ was my go to woods gun for sure.

With that said, I would probably go to 10mm Glock if I had the same need today.

HighDesert
08-01-15, 18:22
Typically a revolver is much lighter and easier for me to carry. Further, it is safe to carry under all conditions and does not even absolutely require a holster. So, for everyday wandering around a revolver is much more convienent for me. For beside the bed duty I run a full size autoloader.

Better than my response.

Gunnar da Wolf
08-02-15, 18:13
I prefer a revolver to a semi auto. I can't explain it but picking up a 4" N frame S&W or Ruger Redhawk is like shaking hands with an old friend. I shoot a 1911 or even tactical Tupperware better but still prefer to carry a real revolver, with a speedloader and a speed strip.

Ron3
08-02-15, 22:23
Seems like we just did this one...

Anyway, IMO lightweight revolvers make great, fast drawing pocket guns.

Malamute
08-02-15, 22:45

Yes and no. They also work very well as a general purpose field gun even when large predators arent the main issue. Most of my revolvers have been capable of shooting much tighter groups than any of my autos, and are easier to shoot well for me. The old saying about being able to use a variety of loads from round balls or wadcutters on up to full power stuff does have some validity and utility.

alcante262
08-07-15, 01:00
My carry guns are a Kimber Tactical Custom HD and or a Glock 21SF with grip reduced.If I could find a suitable holster I would carry my S&W M25 45LC with 4"barrel.

ramairthree
08-07-15, 12:14
I LIKE a revolver, the same way I like driving my 69 GTO with Muncie four speed.

But a SA is my everyday gun like a Challenger RT or such is my everyday driver.

1986s4
08-07-15, 16:08
I really, really like shooting my revolvers. If my semi-autos were made unavailable I would still be comfortable. But my single stack 9mm auto carries lighter, holds more ammo, the spare mag is slim and reloads faster.

Giggles
08-07-15, 16:28
If I were to ever get a revolver it would be one of those single action types from the frontier days. It would be a real plus if it had some history to it as well.

Straight Shooter
08-09-15, 12:36
With a toddler in the house I largely stopped carrying my Glocks with one in chamber (after carrying this way my entire life) - flame on, but the odd are vastly greater of an accident at home than me getting jumped and needing those extra few seconds to rack. I will chamber when I am in a situation where it makes sense (going out at night).

With that said, I've carrying my 642 a lot lately due to one always ready yet the pull weight is over 10 pounds.

Not only do I not see a damned thing wrong with this...I commend you.
As for preference, no..I PREFER my Glocks...BUT in no way feel under gunned or incompetent with revolvers. Love them. There will always be a place for them in my inventory!

3 AE
08-09-15, 15:10
I prefer using my Colt 1911 as my all purpose pistol. My wife on the other hand prefers the simplicity of a Ruger SP101 as her go to gun on the nightstand. Her frustration with trying to speed reload it reached a point bordering on PMS. Simple solution, she bought another one as back-up!

alcante262
08-09-15, 16:41
3AE I like the way she thinks!

CAVDOC
08-09-15, 20:08
I prefer a revolver since I grew up with them ( started shooting pistols over a decade before the glock was introduced and changed defensive handguns overnight) and with the exception of a tuned 1911 I can shoot them far more accurately. If you know how to handle one they tend to be more accurate than autos

Hizzie
08-12-15, 17:35
I learned on a wheelgun and carried one for part of my LE career as a duty weapon. I greatly prefer a snubby to a small auto.

AutoFiend
08-13-15, 20:31
I like the way a j frame points

Dienekes
08-13-15, 21:38
There's a lot to be said for a K frame, 4" .357. Jim Cirillo did pretty well with a plain-Jane Model 10 Smith...

lowprone
08-15-15, 17:51
I carry a 24-3 RB snub 44spl most of time, never feel under gunned. I have carried and fired so many rounds
through it there is only about 50% finish left.

MistWolf
08-17-15, 01:32
I carry a revolver when I want a 357 Magnum or 45 Colt on my hip

old grunt
09-10-15, 18:08
i don't think I'll trade up my 9mm Glocks as my EDC's and only carry revolvers, but realistically for the average American a quality small frame revolver will probably suffice for all their self-defense needs. I don't think Joe Sixpack is under gunned if he can get rounds on target with that revolver.

Koshinn
09-10-15, 19:08
I feel like revolvers, especially small ones, require a bit more training. Those that prefer them only had them for a long time and thus got good with them.

More power to you guys, I can't shoot nor manipulate wheel guns for crap.

KUSA
09-10-15, 19:18

I'm the exact opposite. I like a revolver as a bedside weapon because of its simplicity. For everyday wandering around I prefer an autoloader.

A revolver is too wide for a concealed weapon and the limited amount of ammo is a turn off.

Eurodriver
09-10-15, 20:08
I'm the exact opposite. I like a revolver as a bedside weapon because of its simplicity. For everyday wandering around I prefer an autoloader.

A revolver is too wide for a concealed weapon and the limited amount of ammo is a turn off.

Interesting. I'm like Greg.

In thunderwear, I can carry a J Frame in swim shorts with no t-shirt on at the beach. I can carry it in basketball shorts when I just run to the store. Or I can conceal it in a business casual. Can't easily do that with a heavy G26 let alone G19.

The logic is that a revolver is okay as I don't carry a CCW to defend myself from a Zombie invasion or put myself in situations where I can't immediately egress. I'm not an LEO confronting violent suspects, my job is defending my immediate self, not playing hero.

On the other hand, folks that kick in doors at 3am (or 3pm for that matter) usually have weapons and work in teams. I'm in my house and my possessions, family, and dog are here. I'm not going to run away and leave them to fend for themselves. The bedside gun gets the 33rd mag of Gold Dots.

And a spare.

SeriousStudent
09-10-15, 23:45
i don't think I'll trade up my 9mm Glocks as my EDC's and only carry revolvers, but realistically for the average American a quality small frame revolver will probably suffice for all their self-defense needs. I don't think Joe Sixpack is under gunned if he can get rounds on target with that revolver.

I honestly think you are correct, for a rather large segment of the population. They would be better served by a used S&W K-frame, or Ruger Security-Six and a one-day safety/shooting fundamentals class.

Oh for the days when you could score a used police trade-in Model 10 for $160, and they would throw in a box of ammo.......

I have a 3" Ruger GP-100 as a loaner pistol, and it has proved very handy. We had a rash of home invasions locally a few months back, and it was a comfort for my neighbor who borrowed it.

Before anyone says I should have opened the safe and passed out the crew-serves with belts of ammo - consider this. The people targeted were Indian families. My buddy Vijay had never held a firearm before, much less shot an AR. So it was a "teachable moment" sort of thing.

We are working on AR's now. But he needed something that night, and quickly.

For some people, a gun is a fire extinguisher is a toaster is a DVD player. It's an appliance that does a specific thing. A decent wheelgun fits that niche for them.

Overkill777
10-11-15, 13:18
I love my revolvers because I shoot them best. I've carried and shot my airweight j frame a lot and I am more accustomed to shooting double action revolvers than semi autos. Lately I have been carrying my 357 magnum k frame a lot as I shoot it better than any other handgun and I like the power of the magnum cartridge. Not to mention reliability. I love my 1911 but I shoot even the j frame better. Accuracy in my hands is what gives me confidence in my carry weapons so thats what works for me. I certainly don't blame anyone for carrying a glock with high capacity magazines but if I feel inclined to carry more gun than a j frame I usually lean toward a more powerful caliber than capacity. I know that is not a popular opinion on gun boards these days but I'm just stating what works for me and I certainly respect the other line of thinking. I always carry a speedloader or spare mag no matter which type of gun I carry because it's so easy there's no reason not to.

BillBond
10-11-15, 18:42
A j frame in the pocket is quick and easy for me when it is over 110 degrees out and I don't feel like a holster.

sevenhelmet
10-11-15, 19:46
I like my SP101, but its limited capacity is a concern for everyday CCW or HD. S'ok, I have other firearms to fill those roles. The J-frame fills the role of back-up gun very nicely.

wrx04
10-11-15, 21:15
Ive found myself carrying a j frame a lot more. The convenience outweighs the discomfort of a bigger gun most of the time. Pocket or even ankle carry is almost no burden at all.

Obviously, id prefer to have my G19 or CQB if i ever needed it, but given the odds, id rather have a j frame than no gun at all. The j frame is an up close and personal SD gun, and i change my mindset to reflect that. I probably need to practice more with t (not very fun), but im very competent within the 5-7yd range.

kirkland
10-16-15, 12:44
I'm a much better shot with a revolver, probably because I started out shooting revolvers, last time I went out to the woods I was putting quick double taps on multiple targets with my s&w 2 1/2" model 19, but I was having a much harder time doing it with my glock 17, something about the glock trigger, I still haven't mastered it yet.

COZ ZINZKI
10-16-15, 14:48
I can place my 1st cold bore shot .... hunting in the field, a lot more effectively with my S&W Mod. 29 ...44 mag.
(Better yet with a T/C Contender & scope)
However I prefer semi-autos , overall, in every other type of shooting sports, or self defensive carry.

Abraham
10-16-15, 14:52
I have Ruger SP101 spurless and I like it, but for EDC, my choice is a Glock 19, with a spare magazine.

ColtSeavers
10-17-15, 01:18
I have no semi auto handguns. I have no issue with them, just, for some reason, can't bring myself to buy one. Everytime I think I'm about to, I come home with something else like another revolver.

Does that count?

Straight Shooter
10-17-15, 07:59
I have Ruger SP101 spurless and I like it, but for EDC, my choice is a Glock 19, with a spare magazine.

Me too, love my 3" SP101...bobbed the hammer right off and loved it ever since. Of late, Im considering trading it in on a small J frame, Id carry that lot more than the SP101. My new G19 is now my primary carry...the Jframe would be a back up loaded with +P Gold Dots.
Thoughts on the trade?

K1tt3n5
10-17-15, 20:36
I prefer to look and gawk at revolvers, however I can not shoot them and they feel terrible in my hand. I envy those that can shoot them.

jsbcody
10-18-15, 16:44
I am probably going back to revolvers. I have a S&W 642 I currently carry quite often (either as primary or back up). I am thinking about sending it out to be cut for moon clips. The one pistol I have regret selling was a S&W model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel. It was easy to conceal (for me) and utterly reliable and super accurate. If I can find a model 66 or 19 with 2.5 or 3 inch barrel, I will buy it and send it to Mr. Smith for some upgrades. I am also really thinking about getting a S&W Performance Center 686 Plus.....I like the idea of moon clips.

P2000
10-19-15, 00:15
I only CCW 2 pistols currently. A G26, and a S&W 442. I *can* pocket carry either, depending on what clothes I am wearing. The 442 can be tossed in the pocket of ANYTHING I wear, but the G26 not always.

Sometimes the G26 is in a IWB holster because it is not pocket-able. If pocket-able, it goes in an aholster pocket holster. It is bulkier / harder to pocket carry than the 442.

If carrying the S&W, it gets tossed in my pocket in an uncle mikes cheapo pocket holster. Picture the frequent scenario of just getting home from work and going on a neighborhood walk with the wife and kid. I have to get going fast before sunset, and depending on what I am wearing, holstering/belting up time of the G26 is weighted vs simply tossing the 442 in my pocket.

At the range, I am equally accurate and comfortable with both pistols. Rapid fire accuracy goes to the G26. Power goes to the G26 (with +p ammo in the 442, and Ranger +P+ in the G26). Capacity obviously is doubled +1 in the G26. Once I took first place with the G26 at a local IDPA club match, out of 20 shooters. I was pretty happy about that!

Maybe the new G43 will change my MO when I get one, but for now both guns serve a purpose well.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-20-15, 20:39
That is my thinking on the issue. People who are either (1) new carriers who are excited about the fact that they can carry a super powerful weapons with lots of flexibility or (2) a professional trainer who carries all the time because guns are their whole world underestimate the value and flexibility of a gun that is safe and reliable that can just be dropped in the pocket and basically forgotten.

tdb59
10-24-15, 13:25
I carry K frame Smiths for several reasons.
I shoot them better with my non-dominant hand than I do autos.
I can carry two at the same time easily.
Commonality of caliber and type - as the married woman I live with carries K frames.

Dienekes
10-25-15, 01:32
Carried wheel guns a lot over the years (I couldn't carry my LW commander because--regs). A couple of years ago I went to a Gen 4 G19, which has been a good gun. A couple of malfunctions in 1500 rounds, shooter induced. Yesterday I had the Glock out, and inadvertently loaded it with some hand loads that my BHP runs fine on, but are a bit oversize for the Glock's chamber. The issue has been solved by a "U" undersize Lee sizing die, but I wound up with a couple hundred rounds that the Glock doesn't like. The third round up left the slide about 1/8" out of battery, and well and truly locked up. Normal attempts at clearing didn't work--so out came the old reliable Swiss knife and screwdriver blade. I was able to get it in between the slide and the barrel hood and open the gun up. With difficulty. For about ten minutes I didn't have a working pistol, and no BUG either.

Now in my former life as an instructor and all that stuff, I did see a few wheelguns go down. But after we loc-tited all the ejector rods and got people to keep crud from under the extractor stars, I can only recall one malfunction for cause--a thumb piece on a Ruger Six tied up the gun (a staked screw came unstaked).

While I was cussing the Glock (and myself) I couldn't help but think of the old Model 10 Smith back home that just runs like a Timex. Just a stupid old cop gun with 50% finish that ALWAYS goes bang.

yoni
10-25-15, 08:28
I own one revolver a Ruger Security six converted to a Cougar. I love this revolver and will never sell it.

But I would carry in the woods a Glock 21 converted to .460 Roland. For self defense it will be a Glock 17 or if I don't want to carry a pistol a P7 dropped in my pocket.

anachronism
10-25-15, 10:55
I'm a revolver man at heart. I spent years working on my DA revolver technique, and am almost as quick with followup shots using a revolver as with a semi-auto. For self-defense though, I now leave them at home. Primarily, the limited capacity bothers me, I am left-handed, and am just a touch slower than some of the more talented RH revolver shooters in reloading. I feel my reloading technique requires too much manipulation, and every motion I make takes time, and is an opportunity for something to go wrong. I am capable of putting however many shots are available where I want them to be, but the potential reloading issue nags at me. This offsets the fact that I'm more comfortable with my revolvers than with my semi-autos. Fortunately, the DA revolver skill set will help you immensely with any handgun, and I have gravitated to striker-fired semi-autos, which are really comfortable for me. There is a tired old saying used by some revolver shooters about high-cap semi-auto shooters must be planning on missing a lot. This is utter self aggrandizing nonsense of course. Most semi-auto shooters can shoot as well as most revolver shooters, and if only five shots (or less) are needed on the street, then only five shots (or less) should be fired. All potential situations are not necessarily going to end after just a few shots, there is no time limit or round count on the streets, and shooting games are just that. Games. I find being able to carry as much ammo as comfort dictates well... comforting. I normally carry a couple of extra mags, myself. YMMV. Carrying an extra 30 rounds of good quality 9mm ammo, ready to use, in magazines makes sense to me. Plus 15 rounds in the gun of course. The most important thing is to carry what you're comfortable with, and practice a lot with. If it's revolvers, more power to you, I hope it always works out for you. It just made less, and less sense to me as time went by, and I now accept that carrying revolvers was, for me, a romantic action, and not a practical solution. Stay safe out there guys.

The Old Guy

larryp
12-06-15, 22:13
While I have a few autos my favorite pistols are a 3rd generation Colt SAA with a 5 1/2" barrel in .44 special for woods bumming, a S&W J frame .357 for pocket carry, and when the weather is cool enough for a cover garment, a Brazilian Contract S&W 1917. Those wheel guns will get the job done for all but a total breakdown of society or war. Then I'll break out the 1911A1 or the Hi-power MK III.

SE Flyer
12-09-15, 18:24
I've found that I shoot a slicked up S&W revolver in DA much better than any semi auto pistol except for my Sig X5.

Watrdawg
12-10-15, 13:30
I carry both depending upon where I am. Like many have said in the woods I carry a revolver. I black bear and hog hunt and I carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 45LC for that. EDC though is a G19 and a spare mag.

MHL555
01-14-16, 07:06
Hello group, I carry both. I sometimes carry me new/used S&W m-38, 3inch m-65 or a m-58. Mostly carry a S&W 3913. Be safe.

Bruce in WV
01-16-16, 17:22
Used to believe my revolvers would be enough for any civilian situation. I just carried a semi-auto when duty required.
That stopped after listening to the Tom Givens tape. I now have a G19 and at least one spare mag as my EDC and keep my revolvers for fun shoots at the range and hunting. The world has changed and I've changed with it.

Ron3
02-07-16, 16:37
Normally carry a G19 (ISWB) and LCR357. (Pocket)

But I'm working on a light-load summer carry combo. There are days (Fla) when carrying the G19 gets tiresome and I want to reduce bulk and total weight.

I'm getting an ISWB holster for the LCR .357 and a lighter pocket gun. (auto pistol) Because I can't bring myself to carry JUST a 5-shot revolver.

So instead of Glock 19 (31 oz) plus reload (7 oz) and Ruger LCR (19 oz), I'm hoping my "light mode" of the LCR (19 oz, and pocket pistol (14 oz ??) works out. That's a weight savings of 24 oz! Well, slightly less because I'll probably carry a speed strip or extra pocket pistol mag.

Really like my LCR. I will be very tempted when Ruger makes a 3-5 inch barrel version in .357 (C'mon, how can they not!?)

chiefkeff
02-18-16, 15:13
revolvers are truly lighter and most of them got great balance but the number of rounds a semi carries and a semi cam easily be reloaded.

soulezoo
02-19-16, 14:40
At a slow aimed fire I can shoot the 686 and Python much more accurately. The weight, recoil and blast however negates that advantage over my G20. The G20 is of course more powerful, less recoil, blast and less punishing overall... and lighter as well. As far as EDC goes, I don't CCW but would use a SA.

As far as big critters go, bigger is better but still limited in power as a handgun- I do carry my G20 for this. I recall an old article (Outdoor Life?) where a guy emptied a .30-30 at close range into a large black bear only to be mauled to death. Yes, the bear died... however...
Once I went fishing with a friend in Alaska, inserted by bush plane. As we unloaded gear, the pilot handed my friend an old H&R single shot shotgun with some slugs. Friend says, don't need it, I brought my .44 mag (and pulls a Model 29 out of the backpack). Pilot digs a little and throws friend a file and says here, you'll want to file off that front sight... Friend: "why would I want to do that?" Pilot: "so it won't hurt so bad when that bear shoves it up your ass..." That was 30 years ago and still has me.

thebarracuda
02-20-16, 09:58
I thought a g19 was the ultimate carry piece until I actually began carrying one. Sometimes its just too heavy or bulky. My SP 101 carries much better and finds its way onto my belt much more than I ever thought it would. Not remarkably lighter though as its not a lightweight gun. But more concealable/comfortable in its profile IMO. Not the firepower of the g19 but the likelihood of my carrying goes up considerably with the revolver. J frame time? :)

SteveS
02-20-16, 18:04
One of the nicest things about a revolver is they don't throw the brass around.

mrbieler
02-21-16, 09:55
If it was just me, my revolvers would be primarily range only guns. Lots of fun and beautiful, but I will take my semi auto for protection.

That said, my wife and son are much more confident with revolvers. My wife also has arthritis making semi autos difficult. The house guns are all revolvers. SP101 with Crimson trace grips being their favorite. I'm partial to the 2" M-15.

If its the tool they are willing and able to use, I will not argue.

Lost River
02-21-16, 15:07
One of the nicest things about a revolver is they don't throw the brass around.

While I carry semi autos for social purposes, recreational are another matter. One of the reasons I run DA revolvers while hunting small game, is that I hate trying to find brass, especially in the snow.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/jacks%20201516/IMG_0311_zpszsjol6rl.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/jacks%20201516/IMG_0311_zpszsjol6rl.jpg.html)

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/jacks%20201516/IMG_0312_zpszcbcexyo.jpg (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/jacks%20201516/IMG_0312_zpszcbcexyo.jpg.html)

MtnMan6114
03-18-16, 21:34
Good point about finding the brass in the snow-never thought about that.
Another vote for the trusty .45 revolver.

Black_Sheep
03-25-16, 20:45
I grew up shooting a revolver and honestly enjoy them more than a semi-auto. EDC is a S&W J-Frame .357...

Veker
05-07-16, 21:28
I only got into guns about 7 years ago and I am 30 years old. Sometimes I feel weird because most people my age seem to be into autos. I've gone through a dozen or so and didn't actually own a revolver till a couple years ago. Most of my autos are now gone and I'm building up revolvers. I just love them. They always tend to fit my hands better and I seem to shoot them better. My favorites are s&w pre locks. i recently got a Rhino and a Model 360 that I like. Ruger is next on my list since I've never owned one. They are also handy for reloading.

JNG3
05-15-16, 06:40
While I own and appreciate both semiauto pistols and revolvers, my woods carry is a Ruger GP 100 and my edc is a Ruger LCRX. Going to war would be a different story.

Bimmer
06-04-16, 02:33
I'm thinking of buying a 3" LCRx as a range toy or as a loaner... I'm at the point where I have all the guns I "need," and I can buy the guns I "want." New shooters just love revolvers, and there is something simply and handy about them.

EDIT: I almost forgot. When my little sister moved to L.A., I bought her a 3" .38, either a Taurus or a Rossi. It's perfect for her.

I might carry the LCRx at some point, too, but I'll need to compare it to my other options (G23 or a SIG P230). My sense is that the P230 is comparable in size and weight (and firepower), and except for the extra ammo (8 rounds more), the G23 isn't any heavier.

Ron3
06-04-16, 06:43
You'll like the LCR, nice triggers, accurate.

I recently decided that my LCR is better for pocket carry than belt carry. ISWB just isn't the way to go with a revolver. The cylinder adds to much width and makes it uncomfortable, as well as adding a budge when tucking a shirt.

I appreciated the light weight, but OWB would be more appropriate for belt carrying a revolver imo.

I spent $65 on a nice hybrid holster, too. (The type I normally carry a g19 in)

Dreadnought
06-20-16, 15:22
For work, I carry a G34 with TLR-1.

For fun, I carry a 686 with handloads. I don't think I'll ever give up my .38-44 loads for every day purposes.

jaholder
06-20-16, 20:03
My semiautos go to the range and are EDC.

Stomping around in the woods? Sixgun for me, either a 4" GP100 or ex-NYSP Highway Patrolman or my Redhawk .44 mag in a custom made chest rig.

tb-av
06-20-16, 21:15
I appreciate revolvers. I love the sound they make. They are nice to look at.

The only revolver I have ever handled that I can honestly say I would really like to have that revolver was S&W that the PD armorer built for himself to shoot PPC matches with. He handed it to me and I was really surprised how heavy it was. How it seemed like like a race car as opposed to an every day driver. Then he said pull the trigger. I pulled the trigger back slowly and it just glided back and stopped..... it just sat there.... then it was as though I could 'think' the final break. I had never experienced that before and still to this day have not again.

That is the only pistol I would like to have and that for the sheer mechanical engineering precision that went into making it. Certainly not something I would carry around. I would shoot it for sure, but only because it was so special and a real work of art.

I know revolvers kinda seem safer than a semi, and that is another reason I like a semi better. I don't want to ever take a gun for granted as to it's safety. That's not to say others can't, I just don;t want to.

To me revolvers are like the guitar that's not the easiest to play and not my favorite but still fun and respectable and perhaps even appropriate in certain circumstances. My mind is always keyed to 'where is the hi-cap semi?'.

seribralcrow
09-14-16, 12:48
My semiautos go to the range and are EDC.

This. I never find a good use for my revolver

Pilot1
09-14-16, 14:03
I am much more of a semi auto fan, and usually carry a 9MM CZ-75. However, when I lived in Colorado, and used to camp and hike in the mountains, I'd carry the only revolver I have, a USFA SAA in .45 Colt. I reload, and have a nice 250 grain hard cast bullet going 950 FPS. I like single action revolvers for whatever reason, and may get a Ruger Blackhawk at some point.

RetroRevolver77
09-14-16, 18:33
Carrying a revolver is like wearing a fedora.

In all seriousness, maybe with a moonclip conversion.

CDR_Glock
12-15-16, 18:37
I practice both so I can have options. Preferably, I go with my 442 and 640.

As long as something doesn't have an external safety, I don't care.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve in PA
12-17-16, 23:09
I carry a semi-auto for a living (LE) and carry one off-duty. But, the last couple of years I have kind of rekindled my interest in revolvers. I'm a handgun hunter, so I've used them for hunting; Super Redhawk, Super Blackhawk and Blackhawk. Last year I also picked up a 4" GP100 and 2.5" SP101. I have to admit, shooting all those revolvers is a lot of fun.....and I don't have to pick up brass!!!! ;)

Bugs
12-20-16, 22:22
I don't "prefer" revolvers but I enjoy them in a way that I don't enjoy most semi autos. There is a pleasure to handling, carrying, and firing a revolver that the typical striker fired semi auto just lacks, completely. Obviously, it's like apples to oranges.

I like the versatility that a "manual" firearm offers, allowing for a variety of ammunition choices, for the most part. Mostly, I really like a smoooooth double action and a crisp single action trigger break. Few semi autos approach that level of mechanical excellence, mainly for economic reasons.

When it comes down to the bottom line, proficiency, programming, and mindset are probably more important for most of us than which platform we choose, but there are clear advantages to higher capacity, lower weight/bulk weapons.

Anyway, here are a couple of my .45s:

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/giant_pinhead/DSC_0294SampWsSimplyRuggedTurleyMoniteauJLeather2013_zps85f9926a.jpg

gaijin
12-21-16, 04:50
Nice pair bugs.

The ability to use varied power levels of ammo is a strong suit of revolvers.
Like your pair above can fire +P Colt and Black Powder equivalent, low pressure loads in the same cylinder.
I prefer to hunt with iron sighted, N frame revolvers- if the situation/circumstance permits.

MadDog
01-17-17, 16:04
I like both and have quite a few of both but when it comes to CCW I carry a revolver about 80 percent of the time and various auto's the rest of the time. For the past 6 or 7 years it has been my S&W 327PC eight round .357 mag in an OWB holster or sometimes a horizontal shoulder rig.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/LittleAce1/IMG_1591_zpsqaouymbr.jpg (http://s729.photobucket.com/user/LittleAce1/media/IMG_1591_zpsqaouymbr.jpg.html)

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/LittleAce1/IMG_1593_zpsvzsk6szl.jpg (http://s729.photobucket.com/user/LittleAce1/media/IMG_1593_zpsvzsk6szl.jpg.html)

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww297/LittleAce1/IMG_1592_zpshlwbqbi3.jpg (http://s729.photobucket.com/user/LittleAce1/media/IMG_1592_zpshlwbqbi3.jpg.html)

JaegerOne
02-18-17, 01:06
For the most part, I've been carrying a snubby revolver for fifty years. I've hunted with a 44 magnum revolver and use a semi as my nightstand gun.

Pilot1
02-18-17, 08:34
I prefer semi autos but for woods carry I do have a USFA SAA 4 5/8 inch in .45 Colt. It is my only remaining revolver, and I prefer single action revolvers in general.

Ron3
02-19-17, 22:35
I recently decided that my Ruger LCR is better for pocket carry than belt carry. ISWB just isn't the way to go with a revolver. The cylinder adds to much width and makes it uncomfortable, as well as adding a budge when tucking a shirt.

I appreciated the light weight, but OWB would be more appropriate for belt carrying a revolver imo.

I spent $65 on a nice hybrid holster, too.

Fast forward 8 months for an update: My ISWB hybrid holster needed some breaking-in, adjustments and altered placement. But it's comfortable now. I also have a Mitch Rosen OWB holster coming for it and I think it's going to work out great.

If so, it may become my lightest concealed carry duo; a belted LCR and a pocketed LCR. (and if I'm feeling that optimistic a couple speed strips, too)

deputyG23
02-21-17, 05:40
Revolvers have a valid place in the world. For the average person who buys a gun, loads it, and puts it in the dresser drawer, it is probably the best choice.
I carry Austrian plastic for work and when off duty, but the house gun is a 4" M10 Smith. My bride has enough hand strength, despite her disability, to cycle it six times. A bottom feeder would most likely not work for her in an emergency.
I foresee revolvers becoming my primary carry when I retire and travel to restricted states. No ridiculous magazine restrictions to deal with and the bride can operate them in an emergency.

mrcarbine
02-21-17, 07:23
Semi Auto pistol for me because it has an upper hand against revolver which can only fire 6 round until its reloaded. talking about reload it is too slow for me.
a revolver and a Semi auto in a gun fight....the semi auto pistol has the upper hand.

nml
02-21-17, 12:46
Pocket pistols the revolver has the upper hand. Faster out of pocket than the 380, 5 rds of 38+P on target more effective than 7x 380.

1986s4
02-21-17, 12:49
I presently carry a SIG P225, an 8+1 round 9mm with spare mag. Small, reliable but large enough to shoot well. But for what I do, which is mostly driving right now, I want to either break contact and drive off or un-ass from my car in a hurry. All my valuables are carried on my person for this purpose. I am really interested in the new Colt Cobra, I think it would do well in this duty. My thumbs forward grip on the SIG causes the slide to not lock back most of the time, especially strong hand only.

JaegerOne
03-18-17, 23:00
I pocket carry a Ruger LCR 327 Federal Magnum 6 shot. When in the woods, it's a S&W Model 10 3" loaded with Buffalo Bore hard cast.

Evel Baldgui
03-18-17, 23:27
Revolver over semiauto...no. Mr Glock/Sig/HK Walt win out every time.

SquarePizza
03-21-17, 23:48
Life time revolver nut. I grew up with a grandfather who was a marine in the Korean war, he hated plastic and mostly any semi that wasn't a 1911. So I grew up shooting revolvers and I still love them. But later in life I did find some love for a glock 26, my poor grandfather would be rolling in his grave (until he learned that you could tech the whole gun with a punch). I shoot revolvers better, I enjoy them more, and I think of myself as a revolver guy.

That said, I find myself carrying my 686 half the time, and the glock 26 the other half. Mostly because the glock is lighter and my back wakes up a lot more sore than it used to.

RHINOWSO
04-04-17, 18:36
I'm just getting over some surgery, can't realistically carry anything on my belt waist, so a MP340 with Speer GDHP 135gr+P short barrel is my pocket carry. Bulkier than the LCP, but I think 5 shots of the Speer to be superior to 7 or 8 with the LCP. Slower reloads for sure and I would prefer to have my G19, but Docs orders right now after some GI surgery, with several entry locations.

Butch
04-15-17, 05:15
I love revolvers. The old Smiths and Colt's are works of art. They're great for demonstrating to new shooters what flinch is. Load the revolver for them but leave one out. There's no better way to demonstrate. As a reloader, there's no chasing brass and I feel safer loading up some nuke loads. Bullet profile is more forgiving also and semi-jacketed works well on target. I frequently drop a 642 in my pocket when going out.

FirstBsure
04-24-17, 20:17
I carry revolvers,i also carry Semi Auto's,i do like carrying revolvers better than semi auto's,I have nothing against semi auto's revolvers are just my preference.

SCTSQRL
04-25-17, 15:12
Kind of self evident, but it always makes sense to carry what you find yourself most proficient with, and you will be proficient with what you train on the most.

For myself, lately, that has been wheelguns - specifically a bog standard SP101 3-inch IWB. I get most of my time behind the trigger doing shooting sports, and gravitated towards wheelguns because I find them more satisfying in competition use - and a positive side effect is the reasonable excuse for slower stage times. When it comes to autos versus revolvers, you're poking at a hundred year argument that has a pretty clear winner in terms of advantages. However, the truism that you should shoot what you carry and carry what you shoot is a pretty solid one.

plain old dave
06-15-17, 23:31
I prefer the revolver, for a number of reasons.

1) Manipulation. No safety, no magazine, no problem.

2) Accuracy. The barrel on a revolver never moves, making the revolver more inherently accurate than the selfloader.

3) Ammunition. The revolver is much more forgiving of inconsistent ammunition, as it is not reloaded by the recoil impulse. And revolvers easily handle calibers much heavier than automatics; anyone who cannot see the superiority of a 255gr 45 Colt at 800-900 fps to any 9mm or 40 S&W should either study physics or be referred for psychological screening.

4) Ergonomics. Many automatics are difficult to impossible to shoot with one hand, and never mind those of us with small hands. The most naturally pointing handgun yet invented is the Colt SAA.

(Will be forced to retire next year, and the Colt 22 AR will be up for sale shortly thereafter)

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

WWhunter
06-17-17, 09:13
I one many of both styles and carried a revolver in an LE capacity and also used one for competition many years ago. Having said that, I can shoot either style just as easily as the other. Pick whichever one up that's handy and I am totally confident in my abilities. All my early training in the military was on the revolver right at the time we were transitioning to the M9 Beretta.

If one reloads, the revolver has it's benefits. I hate picking up brass and when shooting my revolvers I have them in hand without having to bend over and pick it up. The other plus to a revolver, as many have already mentioned, is for hunting. I have several .44 magnums and a FA .454 that are my go to hunting handguns. Not many auto loaders can compete in the energy category with a revolver.

Frailer
06-17-17, 12:13
I've pondered this question, and decided that the answer is "it depends." While it's not quite the same thing, from my perspective this is akin to whether one prefers a shotgun to a rifle.

In the top drawer of my dresser there is a 642 and a Glock 26. Which one I grab before heading out the door depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing.

There is no doubt that a modern semiauto is a more capable weapon than a small revolver, but I still think the S&W J-frame (and the Airweight in particular) is without peer when ease of carry is a factor.

Det-Sog
06-17-17, 15:33
I've pondered this question, and decided that the answer is "it depends." While it's not quite the same thing, from my perspective this is akin to whether one prefers a shotgun to a rifle.

In the top drawer of my dresser there is a 642 and a Glock 26. Which one I grab before heading out the door depends on where I'm going and what I'm wearing.

There is no doubt that a modern semiauto is a more capable weapon than a small revolver, but I still think the S&W J-frame (and the Airweight in particular) is without peer when ease of carry is a factor.

Couldn't have said it better. My J-frame gets as much use as all of my autos combined come summer time.

skorittnig
08-14-17, 15:40
Depends what wearing. I carry a g19 or a 442 snubby depending. Both equally reliable in my mind.

oregon45
08-27-17, 13:15
I'm in the "it depends" camp. For me, the great advantage of all my revolvers is their lack of ammunition sensitivity. I can put together loads from very light to very heavy, with just about any bullet weight or bullet profile, unlike loading for a semi-auto where ammunition must be matched to the operating characteristics of the gun.

09-03-17, 10:24
-1 for "it depends". Revolver has a lot going for it still. I've never had a failure to go into battery or stovepipe. They don't care what brand hollow points you use. Sights mounted on frame and barrel are the handgun equivalent of an A2 upper with FSB; slide mounted sights are like having a front sight mounted on a rail. Revolvers are much nicer for dry-fire practice than striker guns and 1911's are. Good flinch detectors, as previously said. A hammerless .327Fed could be the ultimate pocket gun. The gun I miss most is my stainless Redhawk .45Colt with 4" barrel. I could shoot cowboy ammo one day and go over 1000fps/250gr the next. Hell, I could put both in the same cylinder, if I wanted too.
I also love my Uberti SAA knockoff.

Semi's are better for cops, Soldiers, and my nightstand, though.

skipbo32
09-26-17, 13:18
i like revolvers for the car. keep them loaded....always ready to go.

TacMedic556
09-27-17, 17:40
Human threat: semi-auto
Bear: Revolver (44 mag or bigger 300+ grains pushing 1200-1300+ fps reaching 1100+ ft/lbs)

1986s4
10-05-17, 17:02
I really like the revolver DA action, very forgiving of mistakes or a change of heart.

cd228
10-06-17, 08:44
For hunting or areas where the primary threat is animals, I'd look to my 686.
For areas where the threat is humans, a semi auto.
If I'm doing pocket carry (I normally don't) I'd look at a hammerless or shrouded hammer revolver.

flenna
10-25-17, 20:19
Couldn't have said it better. My J-frame gets as much use as all of my autos combined come summer time.

Same here. My S&W 940 and an extra moon clip or two gets carried more than any other semi auto. Why?
1. I like it.
2. I have been carrying and shooting it for almost 25 years.
3. Conceals easily.
4. I like it.

Krazykarl
11-07-17, 21:57
Having spent over 2 months in a sling following shoulder surgery my often carried SW 38 special has fallen in favor to any of my Glocks. Too hard to reload! The semiautomatic with just one inserted magazine has been far more reassuring than the snubbie.

Spin Drift
11-11-17, 21:02
The .44 Rem Magnum is my go-to, easy to reload, easy to get components, easy to go from 700 fps to 1150 fps...

Not powder finicky, cast, JHP, doesn't matter, large enough for my club like fingers, don't need f$%&(#$ tweezers to work with it.

If you can't kill it with a 250 grain hard cast slug going 1150 fps, you need a rifle.

Ron3
11-23-17, 09:17
i love revolver, they are manual/mechanical, as long as you oil and take good care of them they will serve you right, i love the Caliber and everything,
Plus Russian Roulette wouldn't have been possible without revolver but :

THEY TAKE TO DAMN LONG TO RELOAD !!!

Ya just gotta carry two. Or a small auto for backup.

flenna
11-23-17, 09:41
Ya just gotta carry two. Or a small auto for backup.

Jim Cirrillo style- carry two Model 10's.

jrd
01-19-18, 11:37
I used to do a lot of Jeeping out in the wherever on the west coast and I carried a Ruger Security Six .357 6" with improved sights and grips. Then I read an article (can't remember whose) that basically said that something like 95% of the time that a firearm was used/needed in the wild is was against a 2 legged critter in stead of a 4 legged critter. It got me to thinking about my choices. I love the .357 however I opted to go to a .45ACP Glock G21 - w 3 13rd mags. Carried that for years and still have it. I have fired thousands of rounds through both (currently daily carry a Glock G30S daily) and, although I love the Glock, and am very comfortable and competent with it I am better with the Ruger. Always have been. Not more comfortable just better. That being said, like I said, my daily carry is a Glock G30s but my "go-to" gun in the Jeep, away from it all, is the Glock G21 with an AR in the Jeep JIC.

Dr. Bullseye
01-19-18, 12:25
I live out in the boonies. I never heard anyone say a revolver was the way to go in combating animals. What animals? Are we talking racoons, skunks, coyotes? Sure, the little stuff can probably be scared by the discharge of a firearm. But would you go up against two wolves with only a handgun if you had a choice, or a black bear? I cannot even believe anyone would prefer any sort of handgun in case of a problem with a brown bear. A guy shot a mountain lion not too long ago which had killed his dog on his property. He used a hunting rifle.

I was always told a revolver is more reliable and a hammerless revolver is less likely to get tangled up in your clothes (or purse for women). If we are talking self defense at 0-15 feet, why not?

cd228
01-20-18, 03:32
I live out in the boonies. I never heard anyone say a revolver was the way to go in combating animals. What animals? Are we talking racoons, skunks, coyotes? Sure, the little stuff can probably be scared by the discharge of a firearm. But would you go up against two wolves with only a handgun if you had a choice, or a black bear? I cannot even believe anyone would prefer any sort of handgun in case of a problem with a brown bear. A guy shot a mountain lion not too long ago which had killed his dog on his property. He used a hunting rifle.

I was always told a revolver is more reliable and a hammerless revolver is less likely to get tangled up in your clothes (or purse for women). If we are talking self defense at 0-15 feet, why not?
Feral Dog or a surprised Hog or other dangerous game animal or If I needed a finishing shot on an injured deer. I'd trust .357 or .44 special/magnum well know handgun hunting cartridges over most semi auto service pistol cartridges. As for using a handgun over a long gun as a first choice, I don't think anyone here is advocating that. However, if I were to go walking in the woods outside of hunting season with a rifle on my back, or if I carried a rifle while trail running, mowing the lawn (adjacted to woodland), etc. I would be visited by the local constabulary and probably told not to do that again if not arrested. Obviously, laws vary by location. Now If I looked out my back window and saw a coyote trying to eat my neighbor's dog, I would reach for a long gun because it is a better choice.

I'd also recommend reading Elmer Keith's book Six gun cartridges. He tested both semi auto and revolver cartridges against a myriad of game and documented his findings. The semi auto cartridges : 9mm Luger, .38 Super and .45ACP underwhelmed him.

Pilot1
01-20-18, 05:25
I'd also recommend reading Elmer Keith's book Six gun cartridges. He tested both semi auto and revolver cartridges against a myriad of game and documented his findings. The semi auto cartridges : 9mm Luger, .38 Super and .45ACP underwhelmed him.

Cartridges, and bullet construction have come a long way since Elmer Keith.

Det-Sog
01-20-18, 10:13
Cartridges, and bullet construction have come a long way since Elmer Keith.

Exactly. If he were still around, I'd love to go out and let him shoot my Glock 20 with Buffalo Bore.

cd228
01-20-18, 17:54
Exactly. If he were still around, I'd love to go out and let him shoot my Glock 20 with Buffalo Bore.

He’d probably enjoy it and then go hand load a magnum version of it.

cd228
01-20-18, 18:00
Yet the standard load for a .45 ACP is still 230 grains doing around 930 FPS? Yes, I agree that we have made improvements, but I am still not running across a lot of hunters using 9mm or .45. I do know one German fellow that carries a .40 cal Glock, but everyone else I know that carries a handgun while hunt (a very small amount) carry .357s and .44s

Kain
01-20-18, 18:28
Yet the standard load for a .45 ACP is still 230 grains doing around 930 FPS? Yes, I agree that we have made improvements, but I am still not running across a lot of hunters using 9mm or .45. I do know one German fellow that carries a .40 cal Glock, but everyone else I know that carries a handgun while hunt (a very small amount) carry .357s and .44s

Are you talking hunters who are hunting with handguns or carrying them for defensive or as a tool to put a wounded animal down?

If the former, then there are barrel length constraints in a lot of areas that would make even a 5inch 1911 too short, let along a Glock 19. If the latter, I've known more than a few who carried .22lr, .22mags, and other small bore revolvers to use to administer the coup de grace.

There is also the area that you are in. If in bear country then yes a 9mm is really not the choice for handguns to deal with a bear. And .357mag is likely as small/powerful, as most would go and many would go up from there. At which point the reason is picking the right tool for the job not 9mm or .45ACP sucks. Just as while a .44mag will kill a man it really is more gun than needed to get the job done. For what it is worth I do believe that Iceland, or someone up near the Arctic issue glock 20s for defense against polar bears. Also some of those guys carrying .357s and .44 mags you have to ask how many carry it because it has been ingrained in their brains or that is the only pistol they have. I know a lot of hunters who have a lot of preconceived notions that were beat into them 30, 40, or even more years ago. I mean got every myth I have heard about the AR, I have heard just as many about hunting and shit.

soulezoo
01-21-18, 22:19
He’d probably enjoy it and then go hand load a magnum version of it.
Believe me, Buffalo Bore IS a magnum version.

BB loads in 10mm are double the energy of 9 or 45. Double. And more than .357 mag is capable of. Some 10mm loads are 900 ftlbs.

I love Elmer. But he didn’t test 10mm. So his observations at this point are obsolescent.

Det-Sog
01-21-18, 22:54

That's what I was getting at.

soulezoo
01-21-18, 22:57
That's what I was getting at.
Oh I know you were.

Many folks don’t know or appreciate just how powerful it can be.

Unless of course they are arguing for the 9mm as the 10mm is “just too powerful “

JaegerOne
01-22-18, 00:58
Having revolver firepower, i.e. 357 or 44 mag, and being able to effectively use it are usually not one in the same. In my more than 70 years of existence, rarely have I seen most folks able to shoot those loads accurately for more than 1 or 2 shots in rapid succession. Of course this would apply to the 10mm auto as well.

cd228
01-22-18, 13:18

BB loads in 10mm are double the energy of 9 or 45. Double. And more than .357 mag is capable of. Some 10mm loads are 900 ftlbs.

I love Elmer. But he didn’t test 10mm. So his observations at this point are obsolescent.
I'm familiar with buffalo bore. Elmer was the sort of man who would put hot sauce on a ghost pepper if his blown up revolvers are to be believed and he did champion the creation of the .44 magnum despite the availability of .44 special and .357 magnum. Interestingly enough Buffalo Bore also offers a .44 Spc Keith load.

On the 900fps 10mm, I'd point you to the BB 10 mm heavy load 220grs solid hard cast lead at 1,200 fps with 703 fps of energy, pretty hot stuff. But that bullet design looks familiar, and solid hard cast lead with a flat nose isn't new tech. That said I wouldn't want to get hit with it.

I suspect we could go round and round on this topic till the sun dies. I'll cede that there are some semi auto loads out there are good for animals.

soulezoo
01-22-18, 13:27
I'm familiar with buffalo bore. Elmer was the sort of man who would put hot sauce on a ghost pepper if his blown up revolvers are to be believed and he did champion the creation of the .44 magnum despite the availability of .44 special and .357 magnum. Interestingly enough Buffalo Bore also offers a .44 Spc Keith load.

On the 900fps 10mm, I'd point you to the BB 10 mm heavy load 220grs solid hard cast lead at 1,200 fps with 703 fps of energy, pretty hot stuff. But that bullet design looks familiar, and solid hard cast lead with a flat nose isn't new tech. That said I wouldn't want to get hit with it.

I suspect we could go round and round on this topic till the sun dies. I'll cede that there are some semi auto loads out there are good for animals.
I didn't post "900fps" (feet per second). That was 900 foot pounds.

My pet load is 180 gr. Gold Dot over Blue Dot powder for 1385 fps.

cd228
01-22-18, 13:37
I didn't post "900fps" (feet per second). That was 900 foot pounds.

My pet load is 180 gr. Gold Dot over Blue Dot powder for 1385 fps.
I apologize, I misread you. Please post a link to that 900 foot pound 10mm ammo. I've never laid eyes on it. What's the chamber pressure and what are you shooting it out of? That's frankly kind of scary. I just ran it into an on line calculator and it can back with a 180 grain bullet at 1500 fps to make 900 foot pounds. Now I am interested.

soulezoo
01-22-18, 13:41
I'm sorry. I don't have that link readily available. But it was a chart of loads posted on a 10mm website.

I am getting those results from a G20 with 6" storm lake barrel.

cd228
01-22-18, 13:50
I'm sorry. I don't have that link readily available. But it was a chart of loads posted on a 10mm website.

I am getting those results from a G20 with 6" storm lake barrel.
Ok, I just went through the Hodgon annual and I didn't find anything listed that hot, I'll surf the web and find it. On my calculator your load came in at an impressive 766 ft/lbs, which puts it up there with BB .357 ammo and beats the BB .44 special Keith load.

cd228
01-22-18, 13:59
Does RBCD ammo pushing a 77 grain round at 2400 fps ring a bell? That's the only thing I'm finding close.

soulezoo
01-22-18, 14:46
No, IIRC, it was a 135 gr. load

cd228
01-22-18, 14:57
No, IIRC, it was a 135 gr. load
Underwood's 135 grain 1600 fps out of a longer barrel?

soulezoo
01-22-18, 15:02
I don’t think so. This wasn’t a factory load. It was a hand load. Again, it was on a chart, at one of the 10mm forums.

Ttwwaack
01-30-18, 06:44
I generally carry a 1911 or G19 but have carried both for duty. I would feel comfortable now with a S&W 2-4" K/L frame. No Rugers especially the hybrid steel tupperware monstrosity. Had a 642 for a spell but it was just plain abusive to shoot. Looking for a cheap 65 now to chop to 3" add a lamped front dovetail sight and butcher a Novak style rear sight opened up a tad so I can see them a la S&W Pro. If I tried another J frame, it would be all steel.

I carry alot of large bore single actions in the woods up here but would not feel comfortable packing them in a dedicated SD role in an urban environ.

Bimmer
01-30-18, 13:02
No Rugers especially the hybrid steel tupperware monstrosity...

I just took delivery of a 3" LCRx in .38 Special. It's my first/only revolver (I have a half-dozen semi-autos).

I think it's super, and the women in my life like it, too.

I'm going to add it to my CCW...

Irelander
02-01-18, 08:05
I hate to admit that my EDC is a S&W 642-1 in an Aholster Backbone pocket holster. I usually throw a speed strip in my back pocket. I really enjoy shooting and training with the 642. The Apex Duty/Carry trigger kit helped with that.

I love my G19 carried AIWB in an RCS Eidolon but for sitting at a desk most of the day it is just too uncomfortable. I need to try some other holster options for the G19 but for now the j-frame is my go to for work days.

Firefly
02-02-18, 11:00
Revolvers require a bit more training/practice than most might think but if I were going for full precision; I prefer a revolver.

I have a couple interesting wheelguns that are pretty niche. Esp. my .44 if I go trekking on a hike.

All else being equal a G19 or most modern autopistol has the edge on capacity but a well done trigger job on a pre-lock Smith is really something else.

Not much you cant handle with a 686 or a model 27 and some good ammo.

That said, my unicorn is a pre-lock 610 10mm.

gunnerblue
02-02-18, 12:01
I think a lot of folks have just never experienced a well-tuned Smith trigger and would be pleasantly surprised by its capabilities. That’s been my experience when I let others shoot my 642 with a Bowen Classic Arms trigger job. I carry this revolver a lot in warmer weather or other occasions when concealment is more difficult. I don’t feel unarmed with 135 gr Gold Dots and a speed strip or two.

I still think that a big-bore revolver is the correct choice for woods carry, at least where I live along the northern border. I am flirting with the idea of of a Glock 20/RMR combo as they are very popular around here. Popular enough to make me wonder if I’m missing something.

LDB
02-02-18, 14:33
I like a revolver. Very little can compete with a 4" or 6" Python or nickel plated S&W.

Firefly
02-03-18, 10:31
Oh for sure, esp. if there are bear about. I know some people will chance it with a 10mm and it's good for medium beasts but for a bear you want that .44.

Same with the Desert Eagle bunch. I don't trust DEs that much. Some work better than others and I dont trust the inconsistency.

My 6" Anaconda or my 8" 629 however I trust implicitly.

Sadly I dont get to go trekking so much lately, but thats what I tote.

seb5
02-03-18, 15:13
Revolvers require a bit more training/practice than most might think but if I were going for full precision; I prefer a revolver.

I have a couple interesting wheelguns that are pretty niche. Esp. my .44 if I go trekking on a hike.

All else being equal a G19 or most modern autopistol has the edge on capacity but a well done trigger job on a pre-lock Smith is really something else.

Not much you cant handle with a 686 or a model 27 and some good ammo.

That said, my unicorn is a pre-lock 610 10mm.

If I had all of the pre-locks I've owned, 547's, 625's, 27's, pre 29, 24's, custom shop Centennial's and 13's! My last deer killed with a pistol was with a 610 with heavy hand loads. In the 1990's my duty weapon was a 625 with full moons.

Firefly
02-03-18, 15:18
If I had all of the pre-locks I've owned, 547's, 625's, 27's, pre 29, 24's, custom shop Centennial's and 13's! My last deer killed with a pistol was with a 610 with heavy hand loads. In the 1990's my duty weapon was a 625 with full moons.

Slick pile.

Cool points for 625 as a duty gun.

One day, I will find a good 610. S&W did a brief run 10 years back but I want that pre lock.

10mm is the only specialty round I dont mind dabbling in and keeping ammo on hand.

RetroRevolver77
02-06-18, 20:21
I have a 586 L Comp Pre-Lock. I think it's one of only 400 ever made. It's nice and it has factory moonclips and a front night sight.

Mr. Greene
02-07-18, 08:03
recently took the Revolver Course offered by ITTS and it was a blast (pardon the pun). It's been forever that i shot a wheelgun seriously, most of the time its just a few rounds here and there when at the range, but having to run it for speed and accuracy was a great time. I used my old trusty S&W 66 4" and we ran some old school LAPD drills to show how the old school generation was taught to fight with the revolver, then on to really using it. If you like revolvers I urge you to sign up for this and have a great time going old school.

SeriousStudent
02-07-18, 20:45
recently took the Revolver Course offered by ITTS and it was a blast (pardon the pun). It's been forever that i shot a wheelgun seriously, most of the time its just a few rounds here and there when at the range, but having to run it for speed and accuracy was a great time. I used my old trusty S&W 66 4" and we ran some old school LAPD drills to show how the old school generation was taught to fight with the revolver, then on to really using it. If you like revolvers I urge you to sign up for this and have a great time going old school.

Uncle Scotty certainly knows his way around a pistol!

I can't wait for Volume II of his book, it's supposed to be out this year.

decodeddiesel
04-09-18, 12:31
I bought my first revolver a month ago for my birthday, and I am absolutely in love with it. Inspired by the Chris Baker and his "The Greatest Revolver in the World" video, I picked up a S&W 66-8 with the 2.75" barrel (for the full length ejector). I would have loved to have found a pre-lock 3" 66, but in the end I'm glad I didn't because I just couldn't justify paying that much for a piece I am likely to CCW and open carry out in the forest. Other revolvers I considered were a Ruger Match Champion or a 19-4 4" (too pretty to abuse), but in the end I wanted something a little more concealable. I want something pinned and recessed next though.

I have run about 800 rounds of .38 and about 200 rounds of .357 (maybe a little less), dry-fired thousands of times, and she's finally broken in and running smooth. I am impressed with how quickly my DA skills improved, and I can confidently say that I run this gun surprisingly well.

While my P30SK LEM is not going to be replaced anytime soon, I would not feel under-gunned with my 66 loaded with some .38 +P high performance hollow-points and an extra speed loader in my pocket. I am waiting on my JM Custom holster to show up and I'll definitely carry it AIWB from time to time.